PDA

View Full Version : Newt Gringrinch the next great white republican hope for president

Roger Perry
06-09-2009, 10:24 PM
http://www.capitolhillblue.com/node/18026

Bob Gutermuth
06-09-2009, 10:37 PM
He would be a great improvement over that clown in the White House now.

Franco
06-09-2009, 10:48 PM

Yes he would but, a zero chance of winning the White House.

Romney has the best chance as of right now. He has the look, chrisma and smart enough to distance himself from Limbaugh, O'Reilly and Hannity.

honker88
06-10-2009, 06:18 AM
I was very disapointed when he decided not to run in the last election. As of now, I'm not sure who I like better between Newt and Palin. It's almost a toss up for me. Unfortunately there is plenty of time to make up my mind.

Brandoned
06-10-2009, 08:11 AM

I agree 100%, he would be better than what we have now. I was born a republican and I guess I would vote for him, if that were my only choice. But while Newt lived here (Carrollton GA) were I have lived all of my life, I can tell you he didn’t make any friends!! He made the below statement very public several times and I guess anytime I here his name this is all I think about….. This is copied from search.com under his bio.

In 1962, Gingrich married Jackie Battley, his former high school geometry teacher, when he was 19 years old; she was seven years his senior at 26 years old. Jackie raised their two daughters, worked to put Newt through graduate school and was a loyal political wife. Gingrich and Battley divorced in 1980. Battley has charged that Gingrich discussed the terms of their divorce settlement while she was in the hospital recovering from cancer surgery. According to L.H. Carter, his campaign treasurer, Newt said of Battley: "She's not young enough or pretty enough to be the wife of the President. And besides, she has cancer." Newt has vigorously denied saying anything like this and his staff has stated that L. H. Carter was a disgruntled employee left behind in Georgia. He refused to pay alimony or child support. His hometown First Baptist Church had to take up a collection to support the family.

luvalab
06-10-2009, 08:28 AM
I agree 100%, he would be better than what we have now. I was born a republican and I guess I would vote for him, if that were my only choice. But while Newt lived here (Carrollton GA) were I have lived all of my life, I can tell you he didn’t make any friends!! He made the below statement very public several times and I guess anytime I here his name this is all I think about….. This is copied from search.com under his bio.

In 1962, Gingrich married Jackie Battley, his former high school geometry teacher, when he was 19 years old; she was seven years his senior at 26 years old. Jackie raised their two daughters, worked to put Newt through graduate school and was a loyal political wife. Gingrich and Battley divorced in 1980. Battley has charged that Gingrich discussed the terms of their divorce settlement while she was in the hospital recovering from cancer surgery. According to L.H. Carter, his campaign treasurer, Newt said of Battley: "She's not young enough or pretty enough to be the wife of the President. And besides, she has cancer." Newt has vigorously denied saying anything like this and his staff has stated that L. H. Carter was a disgruntled employee left behind in Georgia. He refused to pay alimony or child support. His hometown First Baptist Church had to take up a collection to support the family.

McCain was forgiven/forgotten for divorcing his first wife when she was no longer what he thought he'd bargained for (and after his experiences, he was perhaps much changed as well). I'm not saying that's necessarily a bad thing. People's private decisions, even when not as heroic as one might dream up for them, should remain private and they should get at least some small amount of grace from the public, which can't help but be ignorant about individuals' hearts. (Being honest, however, that part of his biography rankles me, and did weigh in a small way against my voting for him.)

However, my point--if McCain can be forgiven/forgotten, I'm sure Gingrich will be as well. (And while I'll try to keep an open mind, I'm sure this part of his biography will rankle me as well if it comes to that, but there are bigger objections I have to him, so it's probably a moot point as far as my vote goes.)

Brandoned
06-10-2009, 08:42 AM
McCain was forgiven/forgotten for divorcing his first wife when she was no longer what he thought he'd bargained for (and after his experiences, he was perhaps much changed as well). I'm not saying that's necessarily a bad thing. People's private decisions, even when not as heroic as one might dream up for them, should remain private and they should get at least some small amount of grace from the public, which can't help but be ignorant about individuals' hearts. (Being honest, however, that part of his biography rankles me, and did weigh in a small way against my voting for him.)

However, my point--if McCain can be forgiven/forgotten, I'm sure Gingrich will be as well. (And while I'll try to keep an open mind, I'm sure this part of his biography will rankle me as well if it comes to that, but there are bigger objections I have to him, so it's probably a moot point as far as my vote goes.)

I agree with you 100%, and if it comes down to it........he would have my vote! Anything with a pulse will have my vote over what's in the "White" House now! It's just anytime I here Newt's name, this is all I can think about. I really hope he has changed and is a better person than when he was living here. He just left a really bad impression to just about everyone in this part of the state when he was here.

Bob Gutermuth
06-10-2009, 08:49 AM
I don't care if the GOP runs Donald Duck against Osama in 12, Donald would get my vote. Newt is my kind of Conservative and would be one of my first choices for the office. No way I vote for Romney unless he is the nominee and then I would be voting against Osama and not necessarily for the former gov of the Peoples Republic of Mass.

road kill
06-10-2009, 08:56 AM

"The Great White Hope?"

What kind of RACIST statement is that??

Brandoned
06-10-2009, 09:05 AM
"The Great White Hope?"

I don't know, but I can tell you I liked it!! The media made the last one a race issue, we should make our next election about it and see how far it goes!

Goose
06-10-2009, 09:32 AM
After Dear Leader it will be nice to have an adult in the White House again but Newt isn't going to be that adult. He isn't electable.

We live in Cuba now.

Roger Perry
06-10-2009, 10:58 AM
"The Great White Hope?"

You are right, I should have said the great white dope.

road kill
06-10-2009, 11:00 AM
Yeah, that's what you should have said!

Matt McKenzie
06-10-2009, 01:22 PM

So Roger, are you happy with President Obama's performance so far? If so, what specific decisions or policies are your favorites?

Roger Perry
06-10-2009, 03:30 PM
So Roger, are you happy with President Obama's performance so far? If so, what specific decisions or policies are your favorites?

No I am not happy with his performance so far, however he has a lot to overcome from what the Bush administration dumped in his lap (the economy, war in Iraq, war in Afganistan). It will take time to find a way out of the mess he was left. If he can't, our country will be in a hole so deep we will never dig ourselves out of.

We are stuck with Obama for the next 3 1/2 years. Unless you have other ideas on how to get Obama out of office and who would do a better job of replacing him, I'd say we will have to wait until the next election to see if the next canidate has a better solution.

TXduckdog
06-10-2009, 04:54 PM
Yes he would but, a zero chance of winning the White House.

Romney has the best chance as of right now. He has the look, chrisma and smart enough to distance himself from Limbaugh, O'Reilly and Hannity.

Franco....I hear people say that, what's the reasoning?

I'd like to see Newt get some traction, he just doesn't seem to excite anyone, except hardcore conservatives.

BonMallari
06-10-2009, 05:21 PM
In this media driven age, Gingrich would not be able to stand up to the scrutiny about his personal life, look at what they are doing to Sarah Palin,they will do whatever it takes to bring her down because she was a viable , marketable option and that scares the living heck out of the left. I wonder how all the GM, Chrysler and Ford guys in Michigan that voted for BHO feel now since many have lost their jobs and their companies..

luvalab
06-10-2009, 05:25 PM
I agree with you 100%, and if it comes down to it........he would have my vote! Anything with a pulse will have my vote over what's in the "White" House now! It's just anytime I here Newt's name, this is all I can think about. I really hope he has changed and is a better person than when he was living here. He just left a really bad impression to just about everyone in this part of the state when he was here.

Just to be clear:

The thing we agree on is apparently that most affairs of the heart should remain mostly a matter of private conscience, with emphasis on "most" and "mostly"--I think it can be an indicator of integrity, but isn't necessarily a litmus test.

What we don't agree on is that we'd both be voting for Mr. Gingrich (that's the remotest possibility around, though, I am trying very hard to look at big pictures these days and keep an open mind).

If it's all the same to you, I'd like to distance my remarks from the racial tone of the exchange. I don't care if that lovely old house is white, off-white, peach, yellow, beige, brown, or even a tasteful green--nor do I care about the color of the inhabitants, present or future. Some competence would be a welcome change from the past decade or more, whatever colored wrapping it comes in.

But it's nice to be able to agree on something around here. ;-)

Franco
06-10-2009, 05:59 PM
Franco....I hear people say that, what's the reasoning?

I'd like to see Newt get some traction, he just doesn't seem to excite anyone, except hardcore conservatives.

His only appeal is with hardcore Republicans which makes it too difficult to grow support.
Too many skeletons in the closet.
His close ties with Limbaugh, O"Reilly and Hannity doesn't help.

As we get closer to the 2010 elections and then on to the 2012 Presidential election, watch how the GOP candidates avoid those three shows like the plague.

Newt is a smart man but, he is basically in the business of selling books.

Roger Perry
06-10-2009, 06:15 PM
In this media driven age, Gingrich would not be able to stand up to the scrutiny about his personal life, look at what they are doing to Sarah Palin,they will do whatever it takes to bring her down because she was a viable , marketable option and that scares the living heck out of the left. I wonder how all the GM, Chrysler and Ford guys in Michigan that voted for BHO feel now since many have lost their jobs and their companies..

Gm, Chrysler and ford were all in trouble way before Obama took office. Just another mess the Bush administration dumped in Obama's lap before Bush left office.

road kill
06-10-2009, 06:27 PM
[/B][/SIZE]

Gm, Chrysler and ford were all in trouble way before Obama took office. Just another mess the Bush administration dumped in Obama's lap before Bush left office.

Perhaps, but the "FIX" is ALL Obama's!!

blame Bush for that!!

Roger Perry
06-10-2009, 06:58 PM
Perhaps, but the "FIX" is ALL Obama's!!

blame Bush for that!!

Bush was trying to figure out a way to fix the economy and auto industry problems before the election.

To quote John McCain back in july, 2008 long before Obama was elected President and while Bush was still in control of the white house:

McCain: The economy is in ‘terrible shape’ By Klaus Marre Posted: 07/02/08 10:35 AM [ET] Republican presidential candidate John McCain said Wednesday that the U.S. economy is in “terrible shape” and that Americans “are hurting badly right now.”

Of course, McCain waffeled on that statement saying the economy was in good shape until the next day when the Bush administration said the economy was not in good shape.

By the way, I am a registered Independent. I am not affiliated with either the republican or democratic parties. I choose to vote for the person I think will do the best job, not the party.

IowaBayDog
06-10-2009, 10:04 PM
His close ties with Limbaugh, O"Reilly and Hannity doesn't help.

As we get closer to the 2010 elections and then on to the 2012 Presidential election, watch how the GOP candidates avoid those three shows like the plague.

Yeah because moving to the middle and alienating conservatives worked out so well for McCain :rolleyes:. Conservatives need to be Conservatives. McCain got tromped in the middle Bush failed miserably in the middle trying to make everyone happy. Newt isn't much better has waffled as much as everyone else in the last few years. Romney's great if you want Nationalized Health Care. He's got a lot of moving to the right to do before he would get my vote. Is there no one better than just recycling past losers? Oh wait there is.....

Franco
06-10-2009, 10:28 PM
Yeah because moving to the middle and alienating conservatives worked out so well for McCain :rolleyes:. Conservatives need to be Conservatives. McCain got tromped in the middle Bush failed miserably in the middle trying to make everyone happy. Newt isn't much better has waffled as much as everyone else in the last few years. Romney's great if you want Nationalized Health Care. He's got a lot of moving to the right to do before he would get my vote. Is there no one better than just recycling past losers? Oh wait there is.....

Alienating Conservatives? McCain received the Conservative vote. That's because the Conservatives certainly didn't want the Marxist Obamo in office.

Yes, Bush's administration was a disaster and created havoc for the Republicans. Mrs Palin, a very decent woman did more damage then good to the McCain campaign. I still, to this day do not understand why he chose her to be his running mate. She did not bring more voters to the party and Alaska only has 3 Electorial votes. McCain would have received the Christian/Anti-Abortion vote anyway.

I'll have to find the poll and post it but, Rush Limbaugh gets the highest percentage as being the spokesperson of the Republicans. Rush has a large audience among Republicans preaching to the choir. However, he is disliked by a much larger percentage. I still say he does the party more harm than good.

Until another/better Republican surfaces, Mitt Romney has the best chance of dethrowning the Marxist. And, Mitt knows he has to disagree with Limbaugh and distance himself from Limbaugh/Hannity/O'Reilly if he has any chance of getting the nomination.

Cody Covey
06-11-2009, 03:11 AM
anyone able to explain how a private companies problems running their company (the auto makers) is a presidents fault. that wasn't Bush's fault if you want to place blame, blame environmentalists, UAW, and stupid execs for the auto company. Unfortunately it is your guy that wants to run the car companies...not Bush.

honker88
06-11-2009, 06:53 AM
[/B][/SIZE]

I'd love to hear how that was Bush's fault. Seems to me the auto industry wasn't run by the Govt. at that time.

honker88
06-11-2009, 06:54 AM
anyone able to explain how a private companies problems running their company (the auto makers) is a presidents fault. that wasn't Bush's fault if you want to place blame, blame environmentalists, UAW, and stupid execs for the auto company. Unfortunately it is your guy that wants to run the car companies...not Bush.

We think alike! The UAW and Govt. over the past 25 years takes the blame.

honker88
06-11-2009, 06:59 AM
I'll have to find the poll and post it but, Rush Limbaugh gets the highest percentage as being the spokesperson of the Republicans. Rush has a large audience among Republicans preaching to the choir. However, he is disliked by a much larger percentage. I still say he does the party more harm than good.

I don't think the majority of the people who dispise Rush and Hannity have ever really listened to either one of them. They just hear all the BS the liberal media has to say about them.

Until another/better Republican surfaces, Mitt Romney has the best chance of dethrowning the Marxist. And, Mitt knows he has to disagree with Limbaugh and distance himself from Limbaugh/Hannity/O'Reilly if he has any chance of getting the nomination.

Look how far that got McCain! McCain was not popular with the base. You cannot alienate your base and ever expect to win any election. That's one of the more ridiculous things I've heard from the media. It makes absolutely no sense!

Roger Perry
06-11-2009, 11:59 AM

Speaking of Rush Limbaugh ------

http://www.capitolhillblue.com/node/18116

honker88
06-11-2009, 12:15 PM
Speaking of Rush Limbaugh ------

http://www.capitolhillblue.com/node/18116

That's the typical liberal media response to Limbaugh I am talking about...

"Limbaugh told his brain-dead followers that if al Qaeda wants to destroy America it had better hurry before Obama beats them to it."
"Looks like Rush is popping Oxycontin again."
"Obama wasn't even a Senator when the Republican Party that Limbaugh so reveres set out to destroy America."
"It wasn't Obama who turned the United States into a war criminal nation that ignored the Geneva Convention and made torture standard operating procedure for treatment of "enemy combatants." That was former President George W. Bush and his primary hit-man -- Vice President Dick Cheney."

No slant there, right?

Bob Gutermuth
06-11-2009, 12:47 PM
Rush Limbaugh speaks the truth, something I cannot say for the looney left.

dnf777
06-13-2009, 06:31 AM
Being a strong supporter of Family Values, I can't lend support to Newt. He is on his third wife, and was having his affair with his third wife while his second wife was on her death bed, needing his support and love, while he was seeking love elsewhere. Has he spoken at Notre Dame? Other than that, Newt's ok, but to me, that's disqualifying.

dnf777
06-13-2009, 09:25 AM

Passing forged prescriptions for narcotics and telling pharmacists that the doctor "ran out of prescription pads" is an example of "telling the truth?" Our practice had the same thing happen, and that person is in the Venango Co. jail to this day!

There are FAR better leaders of conservatism than he! Unfortunately, they've all been marginalized by the modern party. I doubt Ronald Reagan himself would be more than a handsome "left-leaning" republican third-rate candidate if he appeared on the scene today.

As I said, politically, I have no home. Me and many other traditional conservatives who don't follow the Rush wagon are wondering where we belong.

Bob Gutermuth
06-13-2009, 10:00 AM
I didn't say thaty Rush didn't have a problem(which he has gotten past) The liars of the left, Huffington, Daily Kos and Move On should be so honest.

cotts135
06-13-2009, 08:49 PM
I think it was just yesterday that Rush said it was the people who work out and the fitness freaks that are at the core problem with this country's health care problem.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Hew
06-14-2009, 11:13 AM
my words are in bold...

Passing forged prescriptions for narcotics and telling pharmacists that the doctor "ran out of prescription pads" is an example of "telling the truth?" Our practice had the same thing happen, and that person is in the Venango Co. jail to this day! I would really like to read more about Limbaugh forging prescriptions and telling the pharm that the doc "ran out of prescription pad." Could you please provide a link where could I read of such actions by Limbaugh? Thanks.

There are FAR better leaders of conservatism than he! Unfortunately, they've all been marginalized by the modern party. I doubt Ronald Reagan himself would be more than a handsome "left-leaning" republican third-rate candidate if he appeared on the scene today. I'm confused. You've said previously that you considered yourself a fiscal conservative and were critical of Reagan running up the deficit. Being a fiscal conservative and all, it would seem like you are the one who'd be marginalizing Reagan if he appeared on the scene today. So it's alright if you marginalize Reagan, but if the modern Republican Party does it (which I seriously doubt they would) then they're close-minded Limbaugh wannabes who are only interested in political hegemony?

As I said, politically, I have no home. Me and many other traditional conservatives who don't follow the Rush wagon are wondering where we belong. I haven't hung on your every word, so perhaps I'm wrong, but from reading what you've posted here you don't strike me as one whose political views can be easily labled or pigeonholed. That's great. There's not a thing wrong with that. But I do take issue when people whose views can't be neatly fit into one particular box try to pretend that one party or another has somehow "left them" because the party's platforms don't mesh exactly with their beliefs. You don't get to change history and the definitions of conservatism to fit your views. Again, from what I've read of you on here, you don't strike me as particularly conservative (fiscally or otherwise). And if you are indeed a conservative in the traditional sense (i.e. nearly strictly based on economics...i.e. a Country Club Republican), then your views were shunted to the side by the Republican Party more than 30 years ago; long before Limbaugh and talk radio.

Roger Perry
06-14-2009, 12:47 PM

I suppose you also think he was "telling the truth" when he denied he was
doctor shopping for pain killers.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/04/28/AR2006042801692.html

I would really like to read more about Limbaugh forging prescriptions and telling the pharm that the doc "ran out of prescription pad." Could you please provide a link where could I read of such actions by Limbaugh? Thanks.

Hew, you are right from what I know he did not tell the pharm that the doc ran out of precscription pads.From what I remember he did however, buy pain killers from his housekeeper.

dnf777
06-14-2009, 07:07 PM
I don't care if the GOP runs Donald Duck against Osama in 12, Donald would get my vote. Newt is my kind of Conservative and would be one of my first choices for the office. No way I vote for Romney unless he is the nominee and then I would be voting against Osama and not necessarily for the former gov of the Peoples Republic of Mass.

Three wives...having an affair while wife numbe two was dying of cancer....this is not my kind of conservative. Call me old fashioned....

dnf777
06-15-2009, 01:01 PM
my words are in bold...

Thanks for straightening me out on my political views. I really appreciate that. I think you basically said in a round about way that I feel that both major parties can go suck eggs. They're both self-serving, and will do nothing to change so long as people like me continue to bank-roll their power trips.

I'm going to train my dog now. If I have anymore introspective dilemmas, or the urge to be categorized or excluded, I'll be sure to solicit advice on this forum.

dnf777
06-15-2009, 01:04 PM
I suppose you also think he was "telling the truth" when he denied he was
doctor shopping for pain killers.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/04/28/AR2006042801692.html

I would really like to read more about Limbaugh forging prescriptions and telling the pharm that the doc "ran out of prescription pad." Could you please provide a link where could I read of such actions by Limbaugh? Thanks.

Hew, you are right from what I know he did not tell the pharm that the doc ran out of precscription pads.From what I remember he did however, buy pain killers from his housekeeper.

I'd like to see half the crap spewed here backed up with primesource verification. I guess if he only *forged* prescriptions and bought from illegal sources...THAT's ok???

I would be happy to offer sources, but frankly, I have better things to do, and besides, he hid behind the shield of the ACLU to conceal records. There's a conservative action for you!! Oops, sorry, I guess I can't be conservative because I spoke out against the Almighty Rush.

road kill
06-15-2009, 02:28 PM
Three wives...having an affair while wife numbe two was dying of cancer....this is not my kind of conservative. Call me old fashioned....
You must LOVE Edwards then!!

just sayin'

honker88
06-15-2009, 02:38 PM
Palin, Palin, Palin!!!

dnf777
06-15-2009, 02:44 PM
You must LOVE Edwards then!!

just sayin'

Just sayin' what?? That I love a man who cheated on his wife? First of all, I'm not gay. Secondly, I believe marriage is a sacred union between me and my wife. I really don't give a damn who does what with anyone else.

When someone is held up in high esteem who cheated on not one, but two wives, while she was dying of cancer, then preaches "family values" to me or condemns those of others, I call a hypocrite when I see it. I don't give a hoot if they are republican, democrat, independent, or from Mars.

I am very consevative on many issues, but I've noticed that when I post anything other than straight-Limbaugh teaching, I'm called names, ridiculed, and even labeled and told I must love certain people.

You can do and say what you want, I fought for your right to do so, and I just ignore the name-calling. But I think this behavior of exclusion and ridicule demonstrates why only 21% of Americans are willing to admit they're republican. I don't anymore, because I think for myself. Even if I get ridiculed and called names. The way I see it, I served my country in uniform and pay more taxes than most, so that (and the Constitution) give the the right to think and speak independently.

road kill
06-15-2009, 02:53 PM
Just sayin' what?? That I love a man who cheated on his wife? First of all, I'm not gay. Secondly, I believe marriage is a sacred union between me and my wife. I really don't give a damn who does what with anyone else.

When someone is held up in high esteem who cheated on not one, but two wives, while she was dying of cancer, then preaches "family values" to me or condemns those of others, I call a hypocrite when I see it. I don't give a hoot if they are republican, democrat, independent, or from Mars.

I am very consevative on many issues, but I've noticed that when I post anything other than straight-Limbaugh teaching, I'm called names, ridiculed, and even labeled and told I must love certain people.

You can do and say what you want, I fought for your right to do so, and I just ignore the name-calling. But I think this behavior of exclusion and ridicule demonstrates why only 21% of Americans are willing to admit they're republican. I don't anymore, because I think for myself. Even if I get ridiculed and called names. The way I see it, I served my country in uniform and pay more taxes than most, so that (and the Constitution) give the the right to think and speak independently.
I don't know what the history is for you here.
But I did not & will not call you names.
I won't ridicule you.
I have been through a lot in my life, 1 being watching my best friend (wife) of 33 years lose a valient battle against cancer.
So when you criticize Newt (not my fav) for cheating when his wife was ill, I wonder your feelings toward Edwards who ran a campaign & cheated when his wife was diagnosed and he had small children.

If I have offended you in mentioning this, I apologize.

In regard to my "just sayin' " thing, it's sort of a tag line.

Peace,
have a good one, veterans regards'

stan b & Elvis

honker88
06-15-2009, 03:06 PM

I agree with you 100%. That was a dispicible act. That's why Newt isn't a 100% slam dunk in my book. At the same time, I think Newt went on Focus on the Family with Dr. Dobson a while back and discussed this issue. I'm pretty sure on the show he said he asked God for forgiveness and on the show he repented his sins. If he's repented and asked God for forgiveness for his sins then who are we to second guess that? If my God can forgive him for that, I'm pretty sure that I am supposed to as well.

At the begining of this post I said that I'm not sure who I'd support between Newt and Palin. I respect your oppinion so I'm interested to know what you think of Palin.

dnf777
06-15-2009, 03:38 PM
Stan,
Didn't mean to say YOU did those things. My apologies. There are some here that do.
I try to mind my own business and not pass judgement, because we often don't know all the facts surrounding issues (esp ones we see/hear on tv!)

I don't like to see anyone hurt, so whether it's Newt or Edwards, its a bad situation. Like I said, I don't like to judge, but from where I can see, both men acted dishonorably. As for seeking forgiveness, that's great. That's between them, their families, and their God. You, me, or the media should give them room. However, I don't think proclaiming you're forgiven makes everything ok, and gives one the right to start judging and preaching values to others. That is hypocrisy, and I can't stand it! Newt, after self-proclaiming forgiveness, resumed attacking others' values. Edwards has kind of sulked around with his head hung low, like a scoundrel should. (there I go judging, sorry)

Honker,
I like much of what Palin says and stands for. But again, her famiy's business isn't any of mine, until they MAKE it mine by trying to preach THEIR values on ME. Yes, I'm sure the Palins are all forgiven for their transgressions as well, and I'm truly happy for them if they've found their peace...but again, please keep their problems as well as their "do as I say, not as I do" preachings to themselves. If THEY hadn't paraded the family and their abstinence values all over national media, we wouldn't even KNOW of their issues. Most families children are relatively left alone, unless they parade in public, or do 'stupid' things making them targets.

I think she will be a legitimate candidate, but only after several years of coaching and mentoring on the national political scene. Politics at that level are much like music virtuosities. Bush (both of them), Clinton, Obama, Biden....these guys have been groomed since nearly childhood for presidential politics. Sarah just picked up the fiddle, and although she can play to a crowd in Wasilla, she needs more practice before Lincoln Center. I think even her staunchest supporters will admit she made some rookie mistakes. Sure, she was a victim of "gotcha politics", but that's what separates the wheat from the chaff. She's come a long way...look how she handled Letterman. That's what 21st century politics is about. So was 20th century, and although none of us were around, I'll bet 19th, 18th, and all the other political centuries depending more on "looking good" to the masses, rather than actually being good.

honker88
06-15-2009, 04:23 PM
I think she will be a legitimate candidate, but only after several years of coaching and mentoring on the national political scene. Politics at that level are much like music virtuosities. Bush (both of them), Clinton, Obama, Biden....these guys have been groomed since nearly childhood for presidential politics. Sarah just picked up the fiddle, and although she can play to a crowd in Wasilla, she needs more practice before Lincoln Center. I think even her staunchest supporters will admit she made some rookie mistakes.

Personally, a big part of the reason I like her so much is that she is not one of the standard poloticians. She's a normal everyday American. I just hope she doesn't get too much of the coaching and mentoring that she becomes one of the standard poloticians. She does need some polishing, just not so much that she forgets where she came from and what she stands for.

Bob Gutermuth
06-15-2009, 04:43 PM
Anybody But Osama

Franco
06-15-2009, 06:07 PM
If the GOP runs Palin in 2012, it will give Obama a landslide victory.

Her appeal is too small. Same for Newt.

Until the Republicans put forth a candidate that appears to have a better chance of WINNING the White House, I'll stick with Romney.

Matt McKenzie
06-15-2009, 06:23 PM
You know Franco, I wasn't really a Romney fan during the primaries, but what I wouldn't give to have him in the driver's seat right now! I suspect there are a lot of other folks out there who feel the same way. When the economy is in the toilet, I'd sure like to have a guy who has successfully run a business and been the Governor of a state making the decisions. But hey, what does he know about hope and change?
As far as the personal lives of candidates, I believe that how someone manages their family relationships and the decisions they have made in the past reveals much about their character and should be considered, but we usually go way too far and make too big of a deal about whether or not someone smoked pot in college or had an affair 30 years ago.
I behave and believe very differently today than I did in my teens and twenties. Does that make me a hypocrite? If I drank excessively and experimented with drugs in college, am I forever disqualified to hold office? What if I believe strongly in family values (whatever that means) but I have a kid that has a child out of wedlock, or has a drug addiction, or is in prison?
My point is that I want to know where a candidate stands on the issues that are important to me and that I feel affect this country the most. Everything else may be relevant, but is secondary. One man's opinion.

JDogger
06-15-2009, 09:26 PM
She's a normal everyday American.

God help us

Bob Gutermuth
06-15-2009, 09:40 PM
I don't think it matters who the GOP nominates in 2012, Osama will step on his genitals so many times between now ant then that he will become a pariah to most rational Americans who will vote for anybody but him.

Matt McKenzie
06-15-2009, 10:02 PM
God help us

I've never quite understood the venom for Palin. It seems like many on the left have an irrational hatred for her, but nobody has been able to explain it to me. What has she done that inspires liberals to such passion? Nobody is that exercised about lack of experience. She overdoes the folksy, "aw shucks" thing most of the time, but all politicians put on a false front. She may not be my favorite candidate, but she seems pretty straight up to me. She's definitely closer to a real person than the majority of candidates on either side. What is it about her that gets under your skin so much?

Franco
06-15-2009, 10:15 PM
I've never quite understood the venom for Palin. It seems like many on the left have an irrational hatred for her, but nobody has been able to explain it to me. What has she done that inspires liberals to such passion? Nobody is that exercised about lack of experience. She overdoes the folksy, "aw shucks" thing most of the time, but all politicians put on a false front. She may not be my favorite candidate, but she seems pretty straight up to me. She's definitely closer to a real person than the majority of candidates on either side. What is it about her that gets under your skin so much?

Palin's "timing" hurt her. There was only going to be one media darling in the last campaign and the media directed their negativity at her all the while kissing Obama's feet. It was much easier for the media to attack her than her running mate, the war hero.

BonMallari
06-15-2009, 10:29 PM

I think the left thought the first woman to have a shot at POTUS was Hillary, along comes a fresh faced, attractive, feminine candidate like Gov.Palin and it scares the heck out of them, face the facts our political races have turned into popularity contests, not on who is the most qualified or who has better views on the issues, and like it or not the camera loves Sarah Palin, and with the correct marketing team behind her she could be a force....our current POTUS proved that its more about style and less about substance

JDogger
06-15-2009, 11:12 PM
I've never quite understood the venom for Palin.
I'll do a 'Hew' here with my reply. The bolded text is mine.
I've never quite understood the venom for Obama..., (he was not my choice, but I voted 'against' instead of for.
It seems like many on the left (right) have an irrational hatred for her (him), but nobody has been able to explain it to me.(??) What has she (he) done that inspires liberals (conservatives) to such passion? Nobody is that exercised about lack of experience. She overdoes the folksy, "aw shucks" thing most of the time, but all politicians put on a false front.
Your kiddin' me, right?
She may not be my favorite candidate, but she seems pretty straight up to me. She's definitely closer to a real person than the majority of candidates on either side. What is it about her that gets under your skin so much?
I might ask you the same question about 'him'.

Remember Matt, we were not voting for Palin for Pres., but for Mccain.

Many did not want to go there.

Matt, it is not so much that I am a fan of Obama, but that I was done, finished, through, kaput, with the previous administration, and all of what I percieved to be its lack of faith in America.

I'm perfectly willing to recognize that we will agree to disagree.

I allowed, recently to let my responce to someone become personal. I was wrong, and I apologized for it.

JD

Matt McKenzie
06-16-2009, 06:33 AM
Well, that did everything but answer the question. Are there any other Palin-haters that can help me out?

honker88
06-16-2009, 06:46 AM
God help us

I don't get it. When the majority of people (not saying you are one of the majority) talk politics they end up complaining about how crooked politicians are. That they are so far out of touch, they don't know the problems that normal people face everyday. Palin is a normal everyday American that doesn't appear to have forgotten where she came from. Out of nowhere she become Governor of AK, then to the national stage as a Vice Presidential candidate she is demonized for being a normal person because her views aren't aligned with the left. Prior to the election she was widly popular in AK. I suspect her popularity has decreased some simply because she's been beat up so bad in the national media, but she is still very popular. Why? Because she shares the same views as the majority of people. She is trustworthy. She follows through with what she beleives is right. She takes on her political enemies rather than trying to appease them. It just doesn't make sense to me at all. We hear everyday that most politicians are "tied to special interests". Palin doesn't appear to be that way and she (and her family) is treated far worse than crap.

honker88
06-16-2009, 06:48 AM
Palin's "timing" hurt her. There was only going to be one media darling in the last campaign and the media directed their negativity at her all the while kissing Obama's feet. It was much easier for the media to attack her than her running mate, the war hero.

Do you honestly think Palin could have ever been a "media darling"? Her views don't align with the left.

Bob Gutermuth
06-16-2009, 09:05 AM
Sarah Palin couldn't have gotten a break from the government controlled media in this country, they wanted Osama to win period.

honker88
06-16-2009, 09:42 AM
Sarah Palin couldn't have gotten a break from the government controlled media in this country, they wanted Osama to win period.

The media isn't run by the government, right???

http://drudgereport.com/flashaot.htm

K.Bullock
06-16-2009, 09:56 AM
I don't think it matters who the GOP nominates in 2012, Osama will step on his genitals so many times between now ant then that he will become a pariah to most rational Americans who will vote for anybody but him.

I think there is something there, the novelty will have worn off and as the world gets scarier, people realize that liberal policies do not make us safer. I'll bet my hat that either Obama does not run or loses badly the next election.

K.Bullock
06-16-2009, 10:08 AM

Is there a great Black hope for the Republican party? Or are the liberals just showing once again how strong their convictions are regarding race and gender?

honker88
06-24-2009, 03:41 PM

Here's one that was suposed to be a "future star" of the Republican Party. http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/06/24/report-south-carolina-governor-traveled-argentina-appalachian-trail/ We shouldn't be surprised though. This runs rampid throughout our society today. It is so very sad.

Roger Perry
06-24-2009, 05:31 PM
Well, here is another one.

Sen. Ensign admits banging campaign aide (http://www.capitolhillblue.com/node/18196)
June 17, 2009 - 7:52am. http://www.capitolhillblue.com/files/061709ensignap.jpg

Just two weeks after taking the first steps toward a 2012 presidential bid, conservative Republican Sen. John Ensign of Nevada is admitting to an extramarital affair last year with a campaign aide.
Ensign, a rising star in conservative circles and Nevada's most popular Republican, disclosed the affair at a hastily arranged news conference here Thursday, shattering his prospects for heading his party's ticket three years from now and jarring a state already dealing with a scandal involving its GOP governor.

» <LI class="first comment_forbidden">Login (http://www.capitolhillblue.com/user/login?destination=node/18196%2523comment-form) or register (http://www.capitolhillblue.com/user/register?destination=node/18196%2523comment-form) to post comments
Read more (http://www.capitolhillblue.com/node/18196)

zeus3925
06-24-2009, 05:51 PM
And yet here is another one, Sanford. I guess the GOPsters are silent over these guys. What happened to family values?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/31522908/ns/politics-more_politics/

road kill
06-24-2009, 05:53 PM
And yet here is another one, Sanford. I guess the GOPsters are silent over these guys. What happened to family values?

It disgusts me, and I will not support either.
I guess all Repblicans are bad??

What is your point??

My point is very simple.

TERM LIMITS!!!

Franco
06-24-2009, 06:08 PM
Who really cares if married men are having affairs with adult women? It is part of our nature and we never evolved with the genetics intended to be faithfully married all of our adult lives!!! That is a guilt placed on man by religion!

We need a great strong leader that can get us out of the mess that was created solely by our politicians. I don't care if that person invites all the strippers in DC to the White House, if they can get the job done!

road kill
06-24-2009, 06:12 PM

Being faithful to your wife may have gone down the tubes with a certain President we had not to lng ago.

No pun intended.
(OK, so I intended a pun)

zeus3925
06-24-2009, 06:15 PM
It disgusts me, and I will not support either.
I guess all Repblicans are bad??

What is your point??
TERM LIMITS!!!

No, Republicans are not bad as a whole, but there is a bit of hypocrisy on the part of GOP officialdom pushing the family values line while their politicians cave to the same temptations as Clinton.

Roger Perry
06-24-2009, 06:18 PM
Being faithful to your wife may have gone down the tubes with a certain President we had not to lng ago.

No pun intended.
(OK, so I intended a pun)

Clinton was one, Edwards was two, care to compare that list to the Republican list that seems to be growing daily?

Care to explain to me the right is always preaching family values and yet it is the right that is mostly in the wrong?
(no pun intended)

Lucky Seven
06-24-2009, 06:31 PM
Guess as a Liberal, you can't be caught preaching one thing and doing another ...... cause Lib's dont stand for ANYTHING other than:

To each according to their needs,
From each according to their means.
Karl Marx

dnf777
06-24-2009, 06:35 PM
Clinton was one, Edwards was two, care to compare that list to the Republican list that seems to be growing daily?

Care to explain to me the right is always preaching family values and yet it is the right that is mostly in the wrong?
(no pun intended)

At least Democrats cheat with WOMEN, not little boys, or male crack dealer prostitutes!

Roger Perry
06-24-2009, 06:37 PM
Guess as a Liberal, you can't be caught preaching one thing and doing another ...... cause Lib's dont stand for ANYTHING other than:

To each according to their needs,
From each according to their means.
Karl Marx

So, I guess conservatives have a right to be hypocrites? Do the Conservatives get to pick and choose which of the Ten Commandments they want to obey?

The 10 Commandments - God's Revelation in the Old Testament
The 10 Commandments are found in the Bible's Old Testament at Exodus, Chapter 20. They were given directly by God to the people of Israel at Mount Sinai after He had delivered them from slavery in Egypt:

"And God spoke all these words, saying: 'I am the LORD your God…

ONE: 'You shall have no other gods before Me.'

TWO: 'You shall not make for yourself a carved image--any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth.'

THREE: 'You shall not take the name of the LORD your God in vain.'

FOUR: 'Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy.'

FIVE: 'Honor your father and your mother.'

SIX: 'You shall not murder.'

SEVEN: 'You shall not commit adultery.'

EIGHT: 'You shall not steal.'

NINE: 'You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.'

TEN: 'You shall not covet your neighbor's house; you shall not covet your neighbor's wife, nor his male servant, nor his female servant, nor his ox, nor his donkey, nor anything that is your neighbor's.'

road kill
06-24-2009, 06:47 PM
So, I guess as a conservative you have a right to be a hypocrite.

Nope, I am a conservative.
I was married for 33 years.
Never cheated, I promised in front of God, my family and my friends to be faithfull.
I was, my word mattered.
I have a GF now of 3 years, same deal, not acceptable.

That's just me, can't answer for others.

I talk the talk and I walk the walk.

stan b

road kill
06-24-2009, 06:48 PM
So, I guess conservatives have a right to be hypocrites? Do the Conservatives get to pick and choose which of the Ten Commandments they want to obey?
The 10 Commandments are found in the Bible's Old Testament at Exodus, Chapter 20. They were given directly by God to the people of Israel at Mount Sinai after He had delivered them from slavery in Egypt:

"And God spoke all these words, saying: 'I am the LORD your God…

ONE: 'You shall have no other gods before Me.'

TWO: 'You shall not make for yourself a carved image--any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth.'

THREE: 'You shall not take the name of the LORD your God in vain.'

FOUR: 'Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy.'

FIVE: 'Honor your father and your mother.'

SIX: 'You shall not murder.'

EIGHT: 'You shall not steal.'

NINE: 'You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.'

TEN: 'You shall not covet your neighbor's house; you shall not covet your neighbor's wife, nor his male servant, nor his female servant, nor his ox, nor his donkey, nor anything that is your neighbor's.'

Do lefty's even know about this, let alone live it?

Roger Perry
06-24-2009, 06:55 PM
Nope, I am a conservative.
I was married for 33 years.
Never cheated, I promised in front of God, my family and my friends to be faithfull.
I was, my word mattered.
I have a GF now of 3 years, same deal, not acceptable.

That's just me, can't answer for others.

I talk the talk and I walk the walk.

stan b

I am all for you, my parents were married until my father died in 1964, All the relatives I have had have been married until their spouse had died. My sister has been married once. Me, on the other hand, not married yet but maybe some day I will find that right lady.

I believe that marriage should only be between a man and a woman.

By the way, I did not mean you personally if you took it that way, I did not mean that, as I ammended my statement to say conservatives

Roger Perry
06-24-2009, 07:07 PM
Do lefty's even know about this, let alone live it?

I did not agree with Bush's policies and did not vote for him. But until Bush 43 ran for President, I voted Republican all my life. So voting for who I think will do the best job is important to me.

I grew up in West Bend, Wis and yes family values mean a great deal to me. I have never cheated on any girl or woman I was going with either.

road kill
06-24-2009, 07:14 PM
I did not agree with Bush's policies and did not vote for him. But until Bush 43 ran for President, I voted Republican all my life. So voting for who I think will do the best job is important to me.

I grew up in West Bend, Wis and yes family values mean a great deal to me. I have never cheated on any girl or woman I was going with either.

You grew up about 35 miles north of me!!

I knew there was something I liked about you!!

Ya, hey der regards!!

stan b

Franco
06-24-2009, 07:17 PM

'

There were about 300 originally but trimmed to 10 so that they could better control the masses.

God or a supreme power didn't write or dictate this. This is the craetion of ancient man halucinating, thinking he has some kind of special connection. It is ALL manmade amd made up.

road kill
06-24-2009, 07:21 PM

(no pun intended)

Don't forget Barny Frank.

He doesn't even know who he is doing??
Let alone what he is doing!!

Roger Perry
06-24-2009, 07:25 PM
You grew up about 35 miles north of me!!

I knew there was something I liked about you!!

Ya, hey der regards!!

stan b

My grandparents on my mothers side lived in Neenah, I had an aunt and uncle living in Larson, just outside Neenah, most of my other aunts and uncles lived in Milwaukee. I was born there but moved to WB when I was 5.

Roger Perry
07-01-2009, 08:13 AM
Palin soap opera ignites GOP war

July 1, 2009 - 7:48am. http://www.capitolhillblue.com/files/070109palinwink.jpg

The Palin wink: God save us all

By DOUG THOMPSON

The sordid soap opera that is Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin, played out in a new Vanity Fair article, has ignited a war of words within the Republican Party with each sides calling each other liars.

http://www.capitolhillblue.com/node/18282

K.Bullock
07-01-2009, 10:05 AM
There were about 300 originally but trimmed to 10 so that they could better control the masses.

God or a supreme power didn't write or dictate this. This is the craetion of ancient man halucinating, thinking he has some kind of special connection. It is ALL manmade amd made up.

That's news to me ...300? Really? Where are you getting your information, I would be interested.

Jacob Hawkes
07-01-2009, 10:48 AM
"The Great White Hope?"

How is that racist?

Henry V
07-01-2009, 10:51 AM
Palin soap opera ignites GOP war
The sordid soap opera that is Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin, played out in a new Vanity Fair article, has ignited a war of words within the Republican Party with each sides calling each other liars.

http://www.capitolhillblue.com/node/18282

Roger, Here is the link to VF article:
http://www.vanityfair.com/politics/features/2009/08/sarah-palin200908
and this related one is interesting too.
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0609/24392.html
The soap opera continues......Palin 2012....hopefully.

Jacob Hawkes
07-01-2009, 11:04 AM
Palin, Palin, Palin!!!

Unless she's running for dog catcher, she wouldn't get my vote. I'd love to see her chasing after dogs in a new pair of heels everyday. I can't think of a worse VP nominee in my lifetime, or ever.

road kill
07-01-2009, 11:05 AM
Unless she's running for dog catcher, she wouldn't get my vote. I'd love to see her chasing after dogs in a new pair of heels everyday. I can't think of a worse VP nominee in my lifetime, or ever.

Joe Biden??:p

Jacob Hawkes
07-01-2009, 11:10 AM
If the GOP runs Palin in 2012, it will give Obama a landslide victory.

Her appeal is too small. Same for Newt.

Until the Republicans put forth a candidate that appears to have a better chance of WINNING the White House, I'll stick with Romney.

Bobby Jingle or bust. Tis really that simple. He can actually appeal to all voters, which is something no other republican can do.

road kill
07-01-2009, 11:12 AM
How is that racist?
UHHHHH, as far as I know WHITE is a race and you played it in your title.
Suggesting the decision might be weighted by race.

If I have it wrong and your title has nothing to do with race maybe you could splain??

Jacob Hawkes
07-01-2009, 11:24 AM
Joe Biden??:p

LOL. Don't get me wrong, I don't think he is good by any stretch, but atleast he doesn't go on these stupid shopping sprees and getting into it with the party's nominee for president. She was nothing before the election, now she's nothing but now she's annoyed a lot more people. Honestly, she should just go back to AK and never come back. It's not like most Alaskans consider theirselves Americans anyway. If Joe Biden and the devil wearing prada were the 2 major party nominees, I'd vote Indy.

road kill
07-01-2009, 11:26 AM
My choice as of today;

President------Mitt Romney
Vice President-J.C. Watts

And I am serious!!

Jacob Hawkes
07-01-2009, 11:31 AM
UHHHHH, as far as I know WHITE is a race and you played it in your title.
Suggesting the decision might be weighted by race.

If I have it wrong and your title has nothing to do with race maybe you could splain??

As long as you're not making negative comments with it that isn't a joke, I see no foul. JMO.

Jacob Hawkes
07-01-2009, 11:33 AM
My choice as of today;

President------Mitt Romney
Vice President-J.C. Watts

And I am serious!!

I'd take Bobby Jingle/J.C. Watts up against anything the demies would think of, and win in a laugher.

road kill
07-01-2009, 11:37 AM
I'd take Bobby Jingle/J.C. Watts up against anything the demies would think of, and win in a laugher.

That would work for me as well.
The only + for Romney is he knows how to handle the money.
So does Jindahl (sp?).

Governors are usually better prepard than oh, say community organizers to run something.

Plus none of the 3 that we mentioned have been on the "nipple" their whole lives!!;)

Unlike certain Presidents and Supreme Court nominees that will remain nameless!!

stan b

Jacob Hawkes
07-01-2009, 05:11 PM
Wikipedia has good info on him. Bobby Jindal. I'd copy/paste but my iPhone won't do it. Guess I need another upgrade.

Cody Covey
07-01-2009, 05:29 PM
I think Romney would be great for president. I was going to vote for him in the primaries but he dropped out before washington got to vote.

Bob Gutermuth
07-01-2009, 07:21 PM
Anybody but Osama

Franco
07-01-2009, 08:13 PM
That's news to me ...300? Really? Where are you getting your information, I would be interested.

He ya go. I knew it was a bunch, 613 in all.
http://www.religionfacts.com/judaism/practices/613.htm

I am more apt to believe the old book is more historically accurate than the new(revised) one.

Roger Perry
07-02-2009, 09:12 AM

I am more apt to believe the old book is more historically accurate than the new(revised) one.

Wonder how many trips up and down the Mountain Moses had to make?

Franco
07-02-2009, 09:54 AM
Wonder how many trips up and down the Mountain Moses had to make?

Because they had supernatural powers, when one reads the original bible, the burning bush translates to; he burned all 613 onto a disc. Oh, and that wasn't two stone tablets they were written on, he was holding his laptop sideways.;-)

K.Bullock
07-02-2009, 01:26 PM

:) That is a jewish philosophers compilation not the Decalogue or ten commandments. The canonized Decalogue(ten commandments) can be found in these books Exodus 20:2–17 Deuteronomy 5:6–21.

Most of the Rabbi's commandments that you linked to are for Jewish ritual or day to day living. Rituals for the temporary cleansing of sins whether through willful intent or sins of omission. The Rabbi is still waiting for their messiah to signal the coming of the age of Messiah, for them the Messiah is not an individual so much as an age when the rituals will no longer be required because sin and evil cease to exist.

The Decalogue is on a different spiritual level as given to Moses, It was not given as a bar for the people to live above ...it is impossible, Christians believe it is to communicate to Gods people how far they had slipped from Gods original intent for them ( see Augustines doctrine of original sin). It sets the stage for the resolution of sin and death and the restoration of Gods people with the coming Messiah. Man must recognize his own failings and choose the salvation offered through a sacrifice that was different from all of the ritual sacrifices in the book of Leviticus, the rituals in Leviticus could not attain a lasting absolution, lasting absolution required a sacrifice that is perfect, the coming Messiah.

All that to say you misinterpreted the Rabbi's list.