PDA

View Full Version : Question for Democrats

Matt McKenzie
06-10-2009, 12:25 PM
I originally posted this on another thread, but am curious about how the Dems that frequent this board feel about Obama. Are you happy with the POTUS' performance so far? If so, what specifically are you most pleased with?

How has he made the country better, stronger, more prosperous or safer?

What, if anything, are you dissatisfied with?

Let's try to keep this a civil discussion of ideas.
Thanks,

subroc
06-10-2009, 05:46 PM
I would be interested in this as well.

YardleyLabs
06-10-2009, 06:35 PM
I have a generally favorable reaction to his Presidency to date but also some strong reservations.

I believe the economy needs stimulus now and approve of the actions being taken even though they involve significant risk. I believe that there needs to be a rapid pull back on government spending as the economy improves, not the continued deficits envisioned in the budget. I believe we must move towards a national health insurance program but do not believe that implementing it can be done without regard to deficits. Over time I believe that the cost of health insurance needs to be taken off the backs of employers but that can only happen with tax increases to off set the reduction in employer and employee contributions. However, employer financing of health benefits puts our businesses in an untenable position as they seek to compete globally and the administration plans for financing health care could make that worse.

I believe that he has taken good first steps towards improving our position in international relations and that this will strengthen us over time. I also approve of the steps being taken in Afghanistan and Pakistan and I hope that it is not too late to counter the damage done when we shifted focus from there to Iraq. I believe he's doing what can be done in Iraq, but there is no way to counter the damage done since 2001. With Korea and Iran, he can't do worse than the last administration but he has not yet done anything better.

It is interesting and a measure of the divisions in the country that the actions that Obama has taken that are viewed most positively by the majority of the population are also the actions that are viewed most negatively by the minority.

JDogger
06-10-2009, 07:59 PM
I originally posted this on another thread, but am curious about how the Dems that frequent this board feel about Obama. Are you happy with the POTUS' performance so far? If so, what specifically are you most pleased with?

How has he made the country better, stronger, more prosperous or safer?

What, if anything, are you dissatisfied with?

Let's try to keep this a civil discussion of ideas.
Thanks,

I wasn't aware many democrats frequented this board. We're all really independents you know.:p

Happy?

Well...no. I would have hoped he'd been more successful out of the gate.

Better, stronger, more prosperous, or safer?

The 1st, 2nd, and 4th amendments appear to be intact. We still have the freedom to post whatever, on this, and other forums.

I still have my guns, (intend to buy another real soon.)

The market has not bottomed out, as dire warnings prognasticated.

Rampant inflation is at bay.

With the exception of recent domestic acts of terror, we have not been attacked on our soil by terrorists from without.

The workings of politics always leaves me with a sense of dissatisfaction.
Doesn't it all?

Civil Regards,

JD

Juli H
06-10-2009, 08:32 PM
Hookset, I was thinking about this very question this morning...

What do people who voted for Obama think?

I did not vote for him...And I am scared...

what has he done that he said he would do...

and more importantly, what has he done that he said he would NOT do. The whole issue of miranda rights for war captured detainees is one.

the whole CZAR thing is also very scary...he is circumventing the very thing (legislative branch) that was put into place by our forefathers, in order to have MORE control...

Juli

Blackstone
06-10-2009, 08:50 PM
I donít really consider myself a Democrat or a Republican. I do not believe in blindly accepting the ideology and doctrine of any one party. And, I would not vote for a person just because they represented one party or the other.

That being said, I have to admit I have a favorable opinion toward what Obama has done so far. Under different circumstances, I would say some of what he has done is extreme and dangerous. However, he inherited some unprecedented economic and international problems. I think it is probably going to take some extraordinary measures to resolve them at this point. I have some reservations. With all the spending and debt being racked up, we run the risk of hyper inflation in the not too distant future. That scares me, but I think only time will tell if he is on the right track or not. He has only been in office for 6 months. Itís a little early to say if his plans are working or not. It took a lot of years to get into this mess, and itís going to take time to fix it.

Franco
06-10-2009, 09:00 PM
What do people who voted for Obama think?

Juli

They are in denial!

check out; www.howobamagotelected.com (http://www.howobamagotelected.com)

Mike Noel
06-10-2009, 10:28 PM
I

Rampant inflation is at bay.

JD

Buckle up your chin strap because it is coming. ;)

JDogger
06-10-2009, 10:42 PM
They are in denial!

check out; www.howobamagotelected.com (http://www.howobamagotelected.com)

So booty, we, you, us? Who's in denial? All of us? For the next 31/2 years, until the next POTUS is elected...here we are. Watcha goin' do?

Get yer next candidate in line...? Who...? It ain't gonna be Newt or Sarah, they are not electable.

Just sayin'

JD

Hew
06-10-2009, 10:58 PM
It is interesting and a measure of the divisions in the country that the actions that Obama has taken that are viewed most positively by the majority of the population are also the actions that are viewed most negatively by the minority.
That is interesting because I can't recall seeing one recent poll that shows a plurality of Americans agreeing with any of his significant actions. Much like Reagan, most people seem to like Obama personally and it shows in his approval ratings. That doesn't mean they agree with his policies.

Henry V
06-10-2009, 11:00 PM
For the rest of the story check out http://www.politicsdaily.com/2008/12/03/how-obama-got-elected-releases-new-poll/

JDogger
06-11-2009, 12:20 AM
Buckle up your chin strap because it is coming. ;)

If it comes...it comes for us all, including bankers who 'know it all'.

So what is your advice Mr Noel? Or can you only through out negative exclamations...'watch out!...it's coming your way...!

"Please pay me for my advise...! I have your interests first and foremost...trust the bankers"...

Yeah sure!

Bankers will steal the opium suppository from your dying granny's nether regions and charge you a commission on it's extraction.

JD

Mike Noel
06-11-2009, 08:45 AM

So what is your advice Mr Noel? Or can you only through out negative exclamations...'watch out!...it's coming your way...!

"Please pay me for my advise...! I have your interests first and foremost...trust the bankers"...

Yeah sure!

Bankers will steal the opium suppository from your dying granny's nether regions and charge you a commission on it's extraction.

JD

Boy, glad I am not a Banker....I would have had to take that personally. I am especially glad I am not an "know it all", then I really would have been offended!

I trade bonds for a living and last I checked you grandma did not have an account with us so your inheritance is safe;)

I also don't give advice to folks that aren't clients, especially over the internet. I hope it (inflation) comes because my clients and I are positioned for it. Bring it on!

road kill
06-11-2009, 08:55 AM
Liberal Politicans will steal the opium suppository from your dying granny's nether regions and charge you a commission on it's extraction.

JD

Fixed!!:shock:

JDogger
06-11-2009, 08:58 AM
Boy, glad I am not a Banker....I would have had to take that personally. I am especially glad I am not an "know it all", then I really would have been offended!

I trade bonds for a living and last I checked you grandma did not have an account with us so your inheritance is safe;)

I also don't give advice to folks that aren't clients, especially over the internet. I hope it (inflation) comes because my clients and I are positioned for it. Bring it on!

Ok, scratch banker and insert bond trader.

If it walks like a duck regards,

road kill
06-11-2009, 08:59 AM

Yeah sure!

JD

So.....your solution is to have "the Obama" take over??

Mike Noel
06-11-2009, 09:04 AM

I was under the impression that you were older than me. I feel like I am talking to my 15 year old son.

Matt McKenzie
06-11-2009, 09:11 AM

So much for civil discourse.

dnf777
06-11-2009, 07:01 PM
I am an independent. I see the damage that both major parties have brought to my country. I am in the group of people who pay the MOST taxes of all, and find myself and children ineligible for any and all programs.

It is hard to pass judgement on Obama, as he has not had one budget pass yet. What he says he wants, and what he gets will hopefully be very different. One comforting thought perhaps....Democratic congresses have never "rubber stamped" their president's policies. Clinton didn't get what he wanted, even with his majority congress for two years. As where the GOP tends to all be on the exact same page, and you can turn to any radio station or congressional office and hear the exact same fervor for proposed policies, the Dems tend to be more independent thinkers and therefore infight much more, and get less accomplished. Remember, W didn't have but TWO vetoes in his entire 8 years!! And they came well after his lame-duck period started. Even after Dems took both houses in '06, he got every budget and supplemental spending bill passed w/o trouble.

As for budgets, remember also, Bush inherited a $5 trillion national debt. In 8 years of his budgets, he left our current president $11 Trillion. We had to add another digit to the national debt ticker on his watch and budget.

I'm no fan of Obama, but we're not in this mess because of his 6 months in office, in all impartial fairness.

I used to be a Republican, but in my life, under the names Reagan and Bush, 8 of the 11 trillion dollars were added to the debt. Five trillion in only the last 8 years!! As a fiscal conservative, I have NO PARTY to call home! As someone who has to pay not only my bills each month, now me, my children and grandchildren will be paying Mr. Bush's credit card bills he ran up on OUR tab.

We need Ross Perot!

Matt McKenzie
06-11-2009, 07:10 PM
I am an independent. I see the damage that both major parties have brought to my country. I am in the group of people who pay the MOST taxes of all, and find myself and children ineligible for any and all programs.

It is hard to pass judgement on Obama, as he has not had one budget pass yet. What he says he wants, and what he gets will hopefully be very different. One comforting thought perhaps....Democratic congresses have never "rubber stamped" their president's policies. Clinton didn't get what he wanted, even with his majority congress for two years. As where the GOP tends to all be on the exact same page, and you can turn to any radio station or congressional office and hear the exact same fervor for proposed policies, the Dems tend to be more independent thinkers and therefore infight much more, and get less accomplished. Remember, W didn't have but TWO vetoes in his entire 8 years!! And they came well after his lame-duck period started. Even after Dems took both houses in '06, he got every budget and supplemental spending bill passed w/o trouble.

As for budgets, remember also, Bush inherited a $5 trillion national debt. In 8 years of his budgets, he left our current president $11 Trillion. We had to add another digit to the national debt ticker on his watch and budget.

I'm no fan of Obama, but we're not in this mess because of his 6 months in office, in all impartial fairness.

I used to be a Republican, but in my life, under the names Reagan and Bush, 8 of the 11 trillion dollars were added to the debt. Five trillion in only the last 8 years!! As a fiscal conservative, I have NO PARTY to call home! As someone who has to pay not only my bills each month, now me, my children and grandchildren will be paying Mr. Bush's credit card bills he ran up on OUR tab.

We need Ross Perot!

Possibly the most intelligent post ever on POTUS place (except for the last line).

dnf777
06-11-2009, 08:40 PM
Possibly the most intelligent post ever on POTUS place (except for the last line).

I just said we need him....not necessarily for President!

JDogger
06-12-2009, 08:11 AM
So much for civil discourse.

My apologies, Hookset. My comments we're uncalled for.

Marty Lee
06-12-2009, 10:08 AM
does anyone know how much of the "five trillion defict" quoted is related to the war in Iraq? Also remember George Bush was faced with some things we havent seen since Pearl Hatbour. you may not agree on the war but we had to do something. i remeber being in "shock and awe" for those first few days and was and still am proud to be an American. while i cannot say i am in the least bit happy with W's policies as a whole i think we should at least realize that he/we were put in some very diificult situations and try to remember how we got there.

dnf777
06-12-2009, 06:49 PM
None of the $5 trillion includes the war. That's supplemental spending that our kids will just have to pay in addition to the debt. As for being "for" the war, which war are we talking about? The Afganistan war, that we quickly abandoned to divert to Iraq?

I wore the Army uniform at the time, and remember wondering why the heck we were ramping up for Iraq when they had nothing to do with 9-11. Now we know that they had nothing to do with the Towers, and had no WMDs. We knew it then, also, we now know. I felt betrayed, as someone who wore the uniform and was willing to fight whoever, whenever the President asked, assuming I would be asked to lead my men and women under me into war only for a just cause.

I was a good soldier and did what I was ordered to, then resigned my commission and returned to civilian life and dog training.

YardleyLabs
06-12-2009, 07:31 PM
None of the $5 trillion includes the war. That's supplemental spending that our kids will just have to pay in addition to the debt. As for being "for" the war, which war are we talking about? The Afganistan war, that we quickly abandoned to divert to Iraq?

I wore the Army uniform at the time, and remember wondering why the heck we were ramping up for Iraq when they had nothing to do with 9-11. Now we know that they had nothing to do with the Towers, and had no WMDs. We knew it then, also, we now know. I felt betrayed, as someone who wore the uniform and was willing to fight whoever, whenever the President asked, assuming I would be asked to lead my men and women under me into war only for a just cause.

I was a good soldier and did what I was ordered to, then resigned my commission and returned to civilian life and dog training.

Your statement on the debt is actually incorrect. The deficit is measured on a cash account basis -- the simple difference between tax revenues and expenditures. The debt is the accumulated net total of deficits and surpluses over the entire history of the country.

Even though the war costs were not budgeted, they were counted in the deficit and contributed to the growth in debt. However, only a small fraction of the full costs of the wars has been incurred. We have yet to replace equipment and supplies expended and will be paying military benefits related to the war for decades to come.

The primary factors contributing to the $5+ trillion increase in the national debt under Bush are the tax cuts, the wars, the simple failure to curb any other expenditures, and the $700 million in bailout funds spent in the last months of the administration. Making it worse was the fact that the economy left behind was arguably worse than the economy inherited - a situation not encountered since the Hoover administration. So far Obama has not done much to increase the deficit, but he also hasn't decreased it and his budget proposals do not anticipate significant absolute dollar decreases over the next decade.

While I am not disturbed by the current deficit, I believe continued deficits once the economy begins to recover will cause the economy to tank again. Given that the primary cause of the deficits were the Bush tax cuts, I fear that it will not be possible to balance the books without reversing most of those cuts, particularly since extending the cuts was never included in Bush's budget projections (Bush's budgets assumed the cuts would expire in 2010.).

Thank you for your service. You may have been following the orders of a bad President, but your service was on behalf of all of us and deserves recognition and respect.

dnf777
06-13-2009, 05:45 AM
I stand corrected. The deficits never included the supplemental war spending bills, but the bottom line Debt does.

Hey, it's just a few trillion here, a few trillion there. Like I said in an earlier post, I dont know where to call political "home".

Republicans had 8 years of unfettered policy enacted, and it left us with $11 trillion in debt, created the largest gov't ever in history, created the most intrusive dept into private citizens lives.....doesn't sound like the Republican party I grew up with.

Politics has become self-serving avenue to wealth and power beyond comprehension. Beyond any doubt, the best investment opportunity is to give large money to a future president or VP. I wondered at the time why Halliburton gave Cheney $40 million retirement bonus after 7 years with the company. Does anyone know how much Halliburton and its subsidiaries have profited from the Iraq war in NON-competitive bids??? Their $40 million investment has paid well over 1000% returns in 8 years.

Thankyou Butch, your comments are greatly appreicated. One of the things we all fought for, was the right to freely express our opinions on such forums as this. This list would be shut down in China.