PDA

View Full Version : Bonds siezed...

Keith Farmer
06-15-2009, 06:03 PM
Wonder why we have not heard about this in the prime time media:

http://www.france24.com/en/20090613-billions-bonds-seized-swiss-border-japanese-italian-police

The take on this I heard is like this...

If these are real then some large country was probably trying to dump their US holdings. If they are phony some large country is probably trying to further devalue our currency.

Either way the story should be huge but no press?!

When the Treasury was asked by a talking head to comment they refused comment.

Franco
06-15-2009, 06:13 PM
With Iran on the brink of another revolution, that story is getting most of the media attention.

If there is another revolution, it could be the begining of the end for the Islamic state.

Keith Farmer
06-16-2009, 10:22 AM
I watched the news last night. I saw among other things stories about Cheney and the CIA director, Miss USA and her firing, comments from a new age styled Catholic priest, etc., etc.

While the Iran story was covered it did not totally consume every minute of news coverage. What I did not see was any coverage of the 134 BILLION dollars worth of U.S. bonds (real or not) recovered in the smuggling story.

Here is a list from Wikipedia of the top holders of U.S. bonds. 134 Billion is no small change and the result of this issue could be significant in terms of our economic impact.

HolderTotal:

China$767.9 Billion
Japan$686.7 Billion
Caribbean$213.6 Billion
OPEC$192.0 Billion
Russia$138.4 Billion
United Kingdom$128.2 Billion

(source Wikipedia)

Ken Newcomb
06-16-2009, 01:35 PM
I

(source Wikipedia)

Not to take away from what you are saying but the above is one of the fastest ways to a zero on a college paper.

Keith Farmer
06-16-2009, 02:04 PM
Not to take away from what you are saying but the above is one of the fastest ways to a zero on a college paper.

Ken, I am not sure to what you are referring. The comments made are mine...thus the I...the comments are not from Wikipedia.

The citation for the bond holder totals is from Wikipedia...I am sure there are other sources.

badbullgator
06-16-2009, 04:46 PM
That is the first I have seen about this. Wow