PDA

View Full Version : Best Buy Replacement Plan

Thomas D
06-21-2009, 12:26 PM
Going to buy a new GPS today. Is BB Replacement Plan worth it. I don't know the cost of the plan yet, but it will be a 210 dollar GPS. Internet has good and bad stories. I know one person who has had several replaced after dropping and breaking them. However, there are some real horror stories too.

First Sergeant
06-21-2009, 01:02 PM
I have plan on my xbox and it is worth the money to me. I had issues and took it back 2x and walked out with a new unit. If they can replicate the issue you get a new one with no questions. If not they will want to send it out to have it repaired.

I think you have to balance the cost of the unit off against the cost of the plan.

K G
06-21-2009, 02:16 PM
Going to buy a new GPS today. Is BB Replacement Plan worth it. I don't know the cost of the plan yet, but it will be a 210 dollar GPS. Internet has good and bad stories. I know one person who has had several replaced after dropping and breaking them. However, there are some real horror stories too.

It'll probably cost your $30-$40 bucks and you'll never use it....more than likely.

That said, if it's going to be portable/between vehicles a lot rather than in just one, it may be worth the investment. If I recall correctly, 2 years is all you can get for that price range.

My experience with the replacement warranty is good. When we bought our first 52" LCD, we bought a 4 year total replacement plan for $400. The salesrep I dealt with said it was almost a sure thing that I'd have to replace the lamp within four years. Without the plan, it was around $400. Sure enough, 3 1/2 years later, the lamp failed and BB made a service call and replaced the lamp, thanks to the replacement plan.

It's like most product insurance...you probably won't need it, but sure as you don't buy it, you will....if it makes your use of the product more enjoyable, buy the replacement plan. End of story.

kg

Thomas D
06-21-2009, 06:15 PM
Good information, Keith. Thanks.

Ken Newcomb
06-22-2009, 03:35 PM
My nephew bought their plan and they had a ton of reasons why it didn't apply to his situation. What a crock and a scam.

Bryan Thompson
06-22-2009, 05:04 PM
The only bad thing I dont like about it is that once you "use" the warranty, you have to buy another warranty on the replaced product.... That happened to me on a 42" tv it went bad they replaced it about a year after i got it.. Which was 1.5 year into the 4 year warranty that i bought. I had to buy the warranty again on the new tv. So basically its 4 years extended warranty or until you use it... Which is BS to me..

Bryan

Bryan

dnf777
07-08-2009, 11:45 AM
You're betting whatever the warranty costs that what you're about to buy is going to break in that amount of time. If I was that sure of it, I wouldn't want it!

OTOH, the vendor is betting the product won't break in that amount of time. Who do you think has compiled the statistics from hundreds of thousands of sales and service reports, and is in a better position to gamble with your money?

I never take another man's bet, and that's what they're doing when they ask, "do you want to extended warranty?"

JMHO

Thomas D
07-09-2009, 05:01 PM
I went ahead and bought it. I figured that with the "mobility" of the GPS between cars, it might come in handy.