PDA

View Full Version : Maybe it was about the oil

Henry V
07-06-2009, 10:30 AM
Eager to Tap Iraq's Vast Oil Reserves, Industry Execs Suggested Invasion two years before Iraq war . . .
at: http://www.truthout.org/070309J?n

dnf777
07-06-2009, 10:40 AM
Eager to Tap Iraq's Vast Oil Reserves, Industry Execs Suggested Invasion two years before Iraq war . . .
at: http://www.truthout.org/070309J?n

Not surprising at all, but we'll probably never know for sure. Mr. Cheney has refused to comply with court subpeonos regarding the energy talks that were held behind closed, locked doors for the first time in our history.

Time to move on.

WaterDogRem
07-06-2009, 11:19 AM
Maybe it was about the oil, or maybe it was because we really thought Saddam had WMD since he was playing a bluff hand of poker to the world about the WMDs (so not to appear weak to Iran and the world)???

http://www.topnews.in/node/186125

YardleyLabs
07-06-2009, 11:38 AM
The claims of this article may or may not be true. The SCOTUS ruling protecting the secrecy of WH visitor logs makes it less likely that we will ever know. Be that as it may, the Baker Institute report is hardly a smoking gun despite the story woven around it. It basically says that political issues in the middle east and latin america have the potential to disrupt America's oil supply and that US foreign policy should focus on minimizing these threats. Sounds like a no brainer. That is not the same as calling for an invasion. For those interested, the text of the report is available at http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/article3535.htm.

Hew
07-06-2009, 11:48 AM
Oh, well if Jason Leopold and truthou.com say it....

The same dynamic duo that breathlessly (and laughably erroneous) trumpeted the "news" that Karl Rove was to be indicted. I guess I'll have to wait for the National Enquirer's take on this whole thing before I form my opinion on Cheney's grand oil cabal. truthout. lmao.

dnf777
07-06-2009, 12:11 PM
Maybe it was about the oil, or maybe it was because we really thought Saddam had WMD since he was playing a bluff hand of poker to the world about the WMDs (so not to appear weak to Iran and the world)???

http://www.topnews.in/node/186125

That was the problem I had. The reason for war seemed to change with every opinion poll. I recall Hussein stating he did NOT have weapons, not claiming posession and threats.

I'll never forget W making fun of the lack of WMDs at the press roast, while at the same time, we had troops in harm's way, at least in part due to those false pretenses. As a veteran and father, I will never forgive him for that.

badbullgator
07-06-2009, 12:24 PM
Oh, well if Jason Leopold and truthou.com say it....

The same dynamic duo that breathlessly (and laughably erroneous) trumpeted the "news" that Karl Rove was to be indicted. I guess I'll have to wait for the National Enquirer's take on this whole thing before I form my opinion on Cheney's grand oil cabal. truthout. lmao.

It has to be true, TRUTH is even in the web address:rolleyes:

badbullgator
07-06-2009, 12:26 PM
That was the problem I had. The reason for war seemed to change with every opinion poll. I recall Hussein stating he did NOT have weapons, not claiming posession and threats.

I'll never forget W making fun of the lack of WMDs at the press roast, while at the same time, we had troops in harm's way, at least in part due to those false pretenses. As a veteran and father, I will never forgive him for that.

yet he never let inspectors fully do their jobs, even played them by moving things before they got there (WMD's or otherwise). Seems to me somebody either had something to hide or wanted to make it look like they did. You seem to be implying the world is worse for SH being dead

dnf777
07-06-2009, 01:25 PM
yet he never let inspectors fully do their jobs, even played them by moving things before they got there (WMD's or otherwise). Seems to me somebody either had something to hide or wanted to make it look like they did. You seem to be implying the world is worse for SH being dead

You read my implication wrong then. I'm glad he's gone, but I'm sad to see 4000 Americans died in the effort to "get him", when he did not harbod WMDs or have anything to do with 9-11. Now we're finally back on track in Afganistan, which is where the 911 tragedy originated. If all we wanted was SH dead, a mercenary team of assassins could have done that for far less than 4000 lives and 3 trillion dollars, or whatever the real tally is.

And by the way, Hans Blix himself said they WERE doing their job, with international support until W started his John Wayne type diplomacy. (no offense intended to us John Wayne fans)

badbullgator
07-06-2009, 01:29 PM
You read my implication wrong then. I'm glad he's gone, but I'm sad to see 4000 Americans died in the effort to "get him", when he did not harbod WMDs or have anything to do with 9-11. Now we're finally back on track in Afganistan, which is where the 911 tragedy originated. If all we wanted was SH dead, a mercenary team of assassins could have done that for far less than 4000 lives and 3 trillion dollars, or whatever the real tally is.

And by the way, Hans Blix himself said they WERE doing their job, with international support until W started his John Wayne type diplomacy. (no offense intended to us John Wayne fans)

I do seem to recall something about not killing leaders of other countries in that manner…………. If Bush had have done that you would be bitching about that.

dnf777
07-06-2009, 02:28 PM
I do seem to recall something about not killing leaders of other countries in that manner…………. If Bush had have done that you would be bitching about that.

Isn't that sort of what we did in the end anyway, with that kangaroo court and handing him over to people standing there with ropes? Don't get me wrong, I'm glad he's gone, but for what he was doing to us (in hindsight, nothing) we paid FAR too high a price for his head.

Listen to what Dick Cheney and George HW said to justify not pursuing him into Baghdad after Gulf War One. It made perfect sense then, and now. I don't know what made Cheney do a 180 on his logic? I don't think his $40million severance pay from Halliburton came without strings.

Bayou Magic
07-06-2009, 03:35 PM
All about the oil?

Then why is a large chunk of Iraq's oil and gas going up for auction?

http://www.thenational.ae/article/20090628/BUSINESS/706289952/1001

If it were only about the oil, wouldn't we have reserved the oil exclusively for US interests?

fp