PDA

View Full Version : Economy

road kill
07-20-2009, 09:09 AM
The Obama Economy Is Great…For Washington D.C.

Last week, Michigan’s Bureau of Labor Market Information announced that their state’s unemployment rate spiked in June, hitting 15.2%, the highest rate since mid-1983. Five other states, Rhode Island (12.4%), Oregon (12.2%), South Carolina (12.1%), Nevada (12%), and California (11.6%) all have either matched or surpassed their all time unemployment highs. Nationwide, a total of fifteen states are now suffering from 10% unemployment. The Federal Reserve predicts that double digit unemployment will envelope most of the country later this year.

But despite the weakness of the economy nationwide, one region in the country is doing much better. Compared to the nation 9.5% unemployment average, at 6.2%, the unemployment rate in the Washington D.C. metro region is lower than any other major metropolitan area in the country. And there is no secret about the source of D.C.’s economic strength: the rest of the country’s tax dollars siphoned through the rapidly expanding federal government. Fifteen cents of every dollar the federal government doles out throughout the world is spent in the Washington area. Last year alone, the federal government poured $133 billion into the area making the federal government the source for about one-third of Washington’s $401 billion economy.

link: http://blog.heritage.org/

Some great reading!!
Check it out.

Waiting for the "Snopes" spin regards!!

stan b

road kill
07-20-2009, 05:08 PM
WOW!!!!
No comment?
No Snopes?

dnf777
07-20-2009, 06:22 PM
Just not news, really. Look at any state, and you'll find the same thing. Most state tax dollars are spent in the capitols. So what do we do?

As for unemployment stats, I think the REAL rate is much higher. Probably in line with the Great Depression....around 20-25%. Once you've been unemployed for 6 months or a year (some nominal amount of time according to statisticians) you're no longer counted. Also, for every wage-earning able bodied worker who wants to work full-time, but has had to take part time.....should be counted as 1/2 unemployed. Taking into account those two groups (large groups) the real rate is much higher.

IowaBayDog
07-20-2009, 08:10 PM
As for unemployment stats, I think the REAL rate is much higher. Probably in line with the Great Depression....around 20-25%. Once you've been unemployed for 6 months or a year (some nominal amount of time according to statisticians) you're no longer counted. Also, for every wage-earning able bodied worker who wants to work full-time, but has had to take part time.....should be counted as 1/2 unemployed. Taking into account those two groups (large groups) the real rate is much higher.

From my post on July 5th on the unemployment thread:

Those numbers don't even tell the whole story. The average work week has gone down to just over 33 hours per week due to full time folks, working but only getting part time hours. So those that are working are only working 82.5% of full time work weeks. So 16.5% is not working at all, those that are working are also 17.5% laid off. 83.5% of working people working at 82.5% fulltime capacity really gives 68.9% full time work equivalent going on right now. 31.1% unemployment.

Franco
07-21-2009, 06:14 AM
Here is a contrast;

Southwest Louisiana, heavy Republican - less than 3% unemployement.

Southeast Louisiana, heavy Democrat - mirrors the national average.

BonMallari
07-21-2009, 10:35 AM
I realize Las Vegas is not the real world but our unemployment is higher than those numbers but we have so many undocumented workers receiving benefits that borders on criminal, but my union Culinary # 226 backed BHO..thats the change we can believe in...give me a break

Cody Covey
07-21-2009, 11:01 AM
From my post on July 5th on the unemployment thread:

Those numbers don't even tell the whole story. The average work week has gone down to just over 33 hours per week due to full time folks, working but only getting part time hours. So those that are working are only working 82.5% of full time work weeks. So 16.5% is not working at all, those that are working are also 17.5% laid off. 83.5% of working people working at 82.5% fulltime capacity really gives 68.9% full time work equivalent going on right now. 31.1% unemployment.

I realize what you are getting at but 33 hours is considered full time.

Julie R.
07-21-2009, 11:29 AM
Once you've been unemployed for 6 months or a year (some nominal amount of time according to statisticians) you're no longer counted. Also, for every wage-earning able bodied worker who wants to work full-time, but has had to take part time.....should be counted as 1/2 unemployed. Taking into account those two groups (large groups) the real rate is much higher.

Not quite right... you're counted as unemployed as long as you're still actively looking for a job. The fact is many become disheartened and stop looking and those are the ones that aren't factored in. Those that are unemployable because they'd rather sit on their duffs and collect welfare are also included.

Goose
07-21-2009, 01:45 PM
Come on now! We all know the employment data would be much, much worse without all those "jobs saved and created" from Dear Leader's stimulus package. I bet he's "saved or created" at least 600,000 jobs this summer alone. Just ask him.

So forget U6 that shows unemployment at 16.5%. Use Dear Leader's new and improved 'U7' that reflects jobs saved or created.

Our President's approval rating for his first six months is tracking lower than Jimma Carter's first six months slippage. Now that's change we can believe in.

We live in Cuba now.

Roger Perry
07-21-2009, 02:26 PM
Come on now! We all know the employment data would be much, much worse without all those "jobs saved and created" from Dear Leader's stimulus package. I bet he's "saved or created" at least 600,000 jobs this summer alone. Just ask him.

So forget U6 that shows unemployment at 16.5%. Use Dear Leader's new and improved 'U7' that reflects jobs saved or created.

Our President's approval rating for his first six months is tracking lower than Jimma Carter's first six months slippage. Now that's change we can believe in.

We live in Cuba now.

I am not touting Obama’s economics, but just what would McCain have done differently? McCain admitted economics was not his strong suit.
Anyone remember his big flip flop on the economy?
http://www.perrspectives.com/blog/archives/001032.htm (http://www.perrspectives.com/blog/archives/001032.htm)
McCain was 5th from the bottom of his graduating class of 899 midshipmen. If he did not understand economics, how could he have made a wise choice on how to fix the economy.
I think if McCain would have been elected President, we would be in worse shape than we are in now.

WaterDogRem
07-21-2009, 02:38 PM
I am not touting Obama’s economics, but just what would McCain have done differently? McCain admitted economics was not his strong suit.
http://www.perrspectives.com/blog/archives/001032.htm (http://www.perrspectives.com/blog/archives/001032.htm)
McCain was 5th from the bottom of his graduating class of 899 midshipmen. If he did not understand economics, how could he have made a wise choice on how to fix the economy.
I think if McCain would have been elected President, we would be in worse shape than we are in now.

"The best executive is the one who has sense enough to pick good men to do what he wants done, and self-restraint enough to keep from meddling with them while they do it. "
~ Theodore Roosevelt

And who did Obama surround himself with?

IowaBayDog
07-21-2009, 04:13 PM

Its considered full-time for benefits purposes, not paycheck purposes. I'd be one of those statistics if I turned in only 33 chargeable hours/week.

The other aspect is exempt salaried personel. We used to get compensated at a straight time rate for our overtime work, which was voluntary. We are now forced to work 10% - 20% overtime without compensation. So not only are there people not working, some get to work for free!!

road kill
07-21-2009, 04:13 PM

33 is the new 40!!??!!??:shock:

Steve
07-21-2009, 04:18 PM
If he did not understand economics, how could he have made a wise choice on how to fix the economy.

I never though much of McCain, but maybe he would have had the humility to understand that no one person can fix the economy. The only way to rebuild the economy is through the combined efforts of millions of people.

What Barry & most lefties want to do is to attack those who are successful and reward failures. That drags down the economy.

Sooner or later, Atlas will shrug.

Julie R.
07-21-2009, 10:45 PM
I am not touting Obama’s economics, but ...

Well at least McCain's transcripts and degree aren't a state secret like a certain black man living in a White house. We don't even KNOW what kind of grades he made, or who paid his tuition, among many other mysteries.

And, I'm no McCain fan, just as I wasn't a Bush fan but at least they didn't leave policy making in the hands of tax cheats and other assorted losers and Marxists who are determined to take every earned penny from the self sufficient and turn it over to a growing pool of lazy n'er do well leeches.

Henry V
07-22-2009, 12:14 PM
Well at least McCain's transcripts and degree aren't a state secret like a certain black man living in a White house. We don't even KNOW what kind of grades he made, or who paid his tuition, among many other mysteries.

Yes, I am sure it has all been a left wing conspiracy enabled by the liberal media and liberal education system to admit President Obama to Harvard Law school, to head the law review, and teach law at University of Chicago all without transcripts. I am also sure that some left wing radical white man who invested in universal health coverage and a carbon cap and trade scheme paid his tuition and fees. Indeed, where is that birth certificate, drivers license test scores, ACT/SAT scores, GRE scores, and LSAT scores. The public needs to know.

And, I'm no McCain fan, just as I wasn't a Bush fan but at least they didn't leave policy making in the hands of tax cheats and other assorted losers and Marxists who are determined to take every earned penny from the self sufficient and turn it over to a growing pool of lazy n'er do well leeches.
Do you really want to have this discussion and compare appointees? Let's see we had brownie and scooter and Alberto to start with, and all those industry people running regulatory agencies. Could you also point out the marxists so I can research their backgrounds? Thanks.

Roger Perry
07-22-2009, 02:54 PM

If you want to compare secrets of the Obama administration VS the Bush administration, I will give you a small list of Bush's Executive Previledge orders. Care to comment on them?

Bush has invoked executive privilege in refusing to allow his political adviser, Karl Rove, and his former counsel, Harriet Miers, to testify under oath before a Senate panel about their involvement in the recent firings of eight U.S. attorneys. http://blogs.usatoday.com/oped/2007/04/bush_conjures_u.html

WASHINGTON (AP) _ President Bush invoked executive privilege to keep Congress from seeing the FBI report of an interview with Vice President Dick Cheney and other records related to the administration's leak of CIA operative Valerie Plame's identity in http://www.newsday.com/news/politics/wire/sns-ap-cia-leak,0,1006246.story?coll=sns-ap-politics-headlines

President Bush has claimed executive privilege as his reason for denying Henry Waxman's House Oversight and Government Reform (http://oversight.house.gov/story.asp?ID=2030)Committee (http://oversight.house.gov/story.asp?ID=2030) access to documents that would prove whether the president pressured the EPA to lower smog standards (http://politics.the-environmentalist.org/2008/03/bush-intervenes-on-epa-smog-ruling.html) earlier this year:
http://www.the-environmentalist.org/2008/06/bush-claims-executive-privilege-in-epa.html

Bush claims executive privilege on Tillman

The White House in June invoked executive privilege in notifying Waxman and Davis it was withholding some documents.
http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/show/82673.html

If you look up the word Executive Previledge in the dictionary you will see:

http://templeofgwbush.blogspot.com/he_is_risen.jpg

Steve Amrein
07-22-2009, 04:28 PM

I could give a rats fat rump about McCain he lost. The guy that won said he was going to close gitmo, fix the economy and bring our troops back. Then all that hope and change BS. Dont also tell me that BO is just one guy. He has his nose in everything yet only increased spending.

As for unemployment 1/2 of the folks that are out of work dont want to or unable to perform well enough to hold a job. The St Louis paper runs ads every day for help wanted. I will worry when that page is blank. We now have a decent pool of workers to pick from that have the experiance, skill and talent to do what we ask. We pay union wage or better. I will be hiring 2 or more journeymen when I get back from the beautiful Rocky mountain national forest. Sitting in a lawn chair looking at the last of the snow still left in the mountains regards.

Hew
07-22-2009, 05:03 PM
A riddle....

Who was the only president since Nixon to have a claim of executive privilege overturned by a federal court?

Hint: Roger has a shrine to him in his living room and doesn't find this president's numerous claims of executive privilege to be the least bit disturbing.

YardleyLabs
07-22-2009, 05:52 PM
A riddle....

Who was the only president since Nixon to have a claim of executive privilege overturned by a federal court?

Hint: Roger has a shrine to him in his living room and doesn't find this president's numerous claims of executive privilege to be the least bit disturbing.
Clinton, in the Paula Jones case.

Hew
07-22-2009, 07:04 PM
Clinton, in the Paula Jones case.
Was it the hint that gave it away? ;):D

Actually, I don't put much stock in the number of times a president has invoked executive privilege as some sort of sneakiness barometer since the need/desire to claim it is totally dependent upon who's controlling Congress. It would make sense that Clinton had to trot it out often since for 6 of his 8 years he was at the mercy of the GOP in Congress. Ditto for Bush...I think all (certainly most) of his EP claims were in the last two years when the Dems ran the joint. Don't look for Obama to need it for at least two more years (hopefully). All three branches do what they can to protect their turf from the other two, and in general, I think the executive branch gets walked on most often so my sympathies usually lie there. In a nutshell, I don't think it's any of Congress' damn business what goes on behind closed doors at the White House (Obama's or Bush's) any more than the White House needs to know the details of every shady back door deal in Congress.