PDA

View Full Version : GPS Question...

RailRoadRetrievers
07-27-2009, 09:21 PM
Trying to find a great GPS for duck hunting on the lake and deer hunting. I have heard that Garmin is the best, but what model, which one is the best. Would you be skeptical buying used or refurbished? What other brands are top notch? Also, this is for my father, so it needs to be EXTREMELY user friendly.

gman0046
07-28-2009, 10:46 AM
I've got a Garmin eTrex camo hand held GPS. It works great for finding a deer stand and finding you way back after tracking a wounded deer. It could be used on a lake as well trying to find a fishing hole or just navigating. I believe I paid about $119 when I bought it 4 years ago but they may be cheaper now. There are several units now on the market with a lot more features but they carry a high price tag as well.

dnf777
07-31-2009, 09:11 PM
I've got a Garmin eTrex camo hand held GPS. It works great for finding a deer stand and finding you way back after tracking a wounded deer. It could be used on a lake as well trying to find a fishing hole or just navigating. I believe I paid about $119 when I bought it 4 years ago but they may be cheaper now. There are several units now on the market with a lot more features but they carry a high price tag as well.

I have a Garmin etrex HC. I have been generally happy with it, but I must say it's not the most user-friendly device I've used. Its easier than my old Magellan though. A friend of mine geocaches, and swears by his DeLorme GPS. No first hand info from me on that, but maybe at least worth checking out.

I do not recommend camo for any small devices, except binocs that are usually strapped to you. I dropped a camo radio out of my blind once, and waited for a call to come through so i could find the darn thing! And that was after seeing it fall! I now have the Steeler black and gold faceplates on mine. I figure if I'm talking or pulling gloves off to operate a GPS, stealth is not the current concern anyway.

gman0046
08-01-2009, 09:52 AM
I agree with dnf777 on the color issue but I just liked the camo look. BTW the yellow unit cost $20.00 less.