PDA

View Full Version : rain gear

quint
08-06-2009, 04:34 PM
Has any one ever tried Rivers West rain gear? Or would i be better off buying Drake? Thanks for any info. Quint

Paul Fix
08-06-2009, 08:14 PM
I own both and I have sold both brands in the past. The Rivers West is very durable as far as puncture resistance and wear are concerned but they have had problems with leaks and the neoprene material is not breathable. To provide the wearer with some ventilation they have incorporated vents in strategic areas that are opened and closed with zippers. The leaks on the Rivers West were at the seams and zippers. Rivers West customer service on returns left a lot to be desired.

The drake gear uses a "waterproof" (as waterproof as a membrane can be) breathable membrane similar to Gore-Tex. While not as durable as the Rivers West I find their garments much more comfortable to wear and the products are designed to be very functional. Drake's customer service is very good in my experience.

I have no affiliation to either company.

I would definitely buy Drake again. I would have to think long and hard before buying Rivers West. We used to call it "A River Runs Through It". Maybe their quality has improved over the last year, I donít know, but I would have a hard time recommending this stuff after what I have seen and experienced with my own gear.

callinfowl
08-06-2009, 08:37 PM
I tried the riverswest coat.........I couldn't tell if the coat leaked because I was soaked in sweat.

I would second the drake 4 in1 coat although they are a little bit heavy for CA hunting.
I love the drake 4 in 1 shell, it's all I wear now.

dnf777
08-07-2009, 11:35 PM
What kind of temps are you using it in?
I just picked up a LLBean tek-2 (goretex) lightweight for Pa summer/fall and am really happy with it. Even in upper 70s did not trap sweat, and repels rain completely.

ducknwork
08-08-2009, 10:34 AM
I have a River's West jacket and I love it. I have never had any issues with it. Very warm and kept me dry.
________
Dc marijuana dispensary (http://dc.dispensaries.org/)