PDA

View Full Version : Bob Dylan

subroc
08-15-2009, 08:13 AM
Isn't he one of the standard bearers of the left?

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20090815/D9A30C6G1.html

luvalab
08-15-2009, 09:30 AM
Are you just surprised a couple relative kids didn't recognize him (I'm not).

code3retrievers
08-15-2009, 09:55 AM
Obviously this is a case of profiling. I am surprised Bob did not throw a fit and get himself arrested. Instead he cooperated with the police.

Maybe Obama's friend in Cambridge should take a lesson.

luvalab
08-15-2009, 10:07 AM
Bob Dylan has said lots of things and written lots of songs, and my impression and limited knowledge--though relative to his career, I'm a youngun'--is that he never says or writes quite what anybody expected. I don't remember any "fits." I think he's a little more disciplined in his expression.

Has he ever been arrested?

BonMallari
08-15-2009, 10:40 AM
Bob Dylan has said lots of things and written lots of songs, and my impression and limited knowledge--though relative to his career, I'm a youngun'--is that he never says or writes quite what anybody expected. I don't remember any "fits." I think he's a little more disciplined in his expression.

Has he ever been arrested?

Bob Dylan doesn't understand Bob Dylan...a prolific and eccentric song writer of the 60's and early 70's,people read meaning and intent into his lyrics when in fact he probably was doing a tightrope act between genius and lunatic, saw him in concert back in the 70's and had no showman skills but you knew every song he sang

"...when you got nothing...you got nothing to lose "

2tall
08-15-2009, 11:49 AM
Bob Dylan was roundly bashed by his contemporaries for NOT taking part in the protest movement! He was truly apolitical, he did not give a damn. He was just a poet. I enjoy all of his recorded music, but walked out on a live performance.

luvalab
08-15-2009, 02:32 PM
Bob Dylan was roundly bashed by his contemporaries for NOT taking part in the protest movement! He was truly apolitical, he did not give a damn. He was just a poet. I enjoy all of his recorded music, but walked out on a live performance.

And more of an abstract artist than an essayist, for sure.

I've seen him maybe half a dozen times under different circumstances--I've seen him brilliant, I've seen him... um... not. Usually in the same performance.

I think it's kind of interesting, thinking of Bob Dylan wandering about some random neighborhood, just for the experience--and then getting picked up by the cops, for no discernible reason--and going along with them, maybe just for the experience.

road kill
08-15-2009, 04:15 PM
And more of an abstract artist than an essayist, for sure.

I've seen him maybe half a dozen times under different circumstances--I've seen him brilliant, I've seen him... um... not. Usually in the same performance.

I think it's kind of interesting, thinking of Bob Dylan wandering about some random neighborhood, just for the experience--and then getting picked up by the cops, for no discernible reason--and going along with them, maybe just for the experience.
Watch for a collborative effort with, oh, say Tom Petty, and a Grammy winning effort detailing the experience in song!!

Just a guess.

luvalab
08-15-2009, 04:35 PM
Watch for a collborative effort with, oh, say Tom Petty, and a Grammy winning effort detailing the experience in song!!

Just a guess.

Hm. I wouldn't put much money on that, myself.

I have a feeling if it shows up in a Dylan song, it will not be recognizable in any, um, literal sense. Doesn't strike me as his style.

road kill
08-15-2009, 06:53 PM
Hm. I wouldn't put much money on that, myself.

I have a feeling if it shows up in a Dylan song, it will not be recognizable in any, um, literal sense. Doesn't strike me as his style.

Do you know what "collaborative" means??
(even though I misspelled it)

He has worked with Petty before.

luvalab
08-15-2009, 07:49 PM
Do you know what "collaborative" means??
(even though I misspelled it)

He has worked with Petty before.

No. I have no idea what "collaborative" means. I will look it up!! I can't wait to find out!!!

I will share it with my friends, so that when we are typing on the internet, we don't get condescended to (looked that word up in the thesa-thingy) for making an innocent comment in a conversation we think is non-adversarial. (I just learned that word the other day; I really like it, what with the hyphen and all).

:rolleyes:;-):rolleyes:;-):rolleyes:

road kill
08-15-2009, 08:13 PM
No. I have no idea what "collaborative" means. I will look it up!! I can't wait to find out!!!

I will share it with my friends, so that when we are typing on the internet, we don't get condescended to (looked that word up in the thesa-thingy) for making an innocent comment in a conversation we think is non-adversarial. (I just learned that word the other day; I really like it, what with the hyphen and all).

:rolleyes:;-):rolleyes:;-):rolleyes:

I am just trying to save you some money.

As far as condescending, I don't know what that means, I was just bein' a smartass.:cool:

In the words of Bob himself;
"keep on keepin' on...."

luvalab
08-15-2009, 08:21 PM
I am just trying to save you some money.

As far as condescending, I don't know what that means, I was just bein' a smartass.:cool:

In the words of Bob himself;
"keep on keepin' on...."

I got curious. I found 3 songs co-written (2 of them with other Wilburys). Betcha five dollars it doesn't show up in a co-written song--two-year time limit.

I saw Dylan and Petty together at Madison Garden when I was in or just out of high school (?); I remember it surprisingly (*coughcoughcough* ahem) well.

road kill
08-15-2009, 09:00 PM
I got curious. I found 3 songs co-written (2 of them with other Wilburys). Betcha five dollars it doesn't show up in a co-written song--two-year time limit.

I saw Dylan and Petty together at Madison Garden when I was in or just out of high school (?); I remember it surprisingly (*coughcoughcough* ahem) well.
I didn't mean "co-write."
I saw Dylan in St Louis in '69....pup!!

luvalab
08-15-2009, 09:03 PM
I didn't mean "co-write."
I saw Dylan in St Louis in '69....pup!!

It's nice to feel not-old. :)

road kill
08-15-2009, 11:43 PM
It's nice to feel not-old. :)

It ain't all that bad being old, given the alternative!!

stan b