PDA

View Full Version : Using the "nuclear " option

BonMallari
08-24-2009, 08:17 AM
Chuck Schumer threw down the gauntlet on one of the Sunday news talk shows saying " we have our hand on the button and arent afraid to use it" he of course was referring to the Dems passing a health care reform bill without Republican support. personally I hope the Dems expose their arrogance to the American public by pushing a bill through the Senate, it just might be the impetus needed by the American public to stand up and vote some of the long time career politicians out of office. I know people are still fuming at their legislators who voted FOR the stimulus package

Bob Gutermuth
08-24-2009, 08:19 AM
I wouldn't put it past them, but to do so would be political suicide for those that are up for re-election in 2010. The other question is could the Senate version get thru a conference committee?

Buzz
08-24-2009, 11:53 AM
Political suicide would be failing to pass HCR.

TXduckdog
08-24-2009, 12:11 PM
Buzz.....not in the current proposed bill's formats.

Bob Gutermuth
08-24-2009, 01:18 PM
The House will likely not pass a version of osamacare that can get thru the senate. The far out libs in the house want a public option, the dems in the senate don't. I hope they are unable to craft a socialized medicine bill that can pass both houses.

The Republic isn't safe when the legislature is in session.

YardleyLabs
08-24-2009, 01:25 PM
The House will likely not pass a version of osamacare that can get thru the senate. The far out libs in the house want a public option, the dems in the senate don't. I hope they are unable to craft a socialized medicine bill that can pass both houses.

The Republic isn't safe when the legislature is in session.
You may be right. As of now, 45 Senators have committed to vote for a bill including a public option. If that number reaches 50, I suspect that there will be an effort to pass the bill as part of a budget reconciliation act (the same way Bush tax cuts were passed) to avoid the need for a super majority. A very targeted lobbying campaign is now underway to win those 5 additional votes. However, if Kennedy's health makes him unable to vote, an additional Senator would be needed.

Goose
08-24-2009, 06:06 PM
Like many of his brethren in the democrat party Schumer learned to goose-step at an early age.

We live in Cuba now.

YardleyLabs
08-24-2009, 06:50 PM
Like many of his brethren in the democrat party Schumer learned to goose-step at an early age.

We live in Cuba now.
That's a pretty ridiculous comment. Did you think the same of GWB when he used the "nuclear" option to overcome resistance to tax cuts and to open ended off the books financing for the war? What about the Republican Senate leadership when they began pursuing the "nuclear" option to ram judges down the throats of the Democrats? Or do you save your outrage for those with whom you disagree. Within limits, what's good for the goose is good for the gander.

TXduckdog
08-24-2009, 07:05 PM
I'd like to see Obama go after fixing Medicare and the Veterans Admin health program.

Fix those....than we can talk.

dnf777
08-24-2009, 07:18 PM
I'd like to see Obama go after fixing Medicare and the Veterans Admin health program.

Fix those....than we can talk.

We can agree on that. First step, will be to restore funding to the VA that Bush reduced in his last budget.

http://www.truthout.org/article/veterans-face-consecutive-budget-cuts

Mike W.
08-24-2009, 07:26 PM
Healthcare Reform without Tort Reform is a non-starter.

But the Dems won't go there.

And I can't wait until they are forced to deal with the illegal alien healthcare issue.

To wit, notice how on one hand Osama says that illegals won't be offered free healthcare insurance...and on the other hand, believes that they should not be turned away from the emergency room. Who the hell does he think pays for the "emergency room"?

Democrats are actually quite simple creatures actually. They believe that government knows what's best for you and your money better than you do. And to consolidate their powerbase, they pass out entitlements to those too lazy or unwilling to make something of themselves.

Whew! I feel better now.

K G
08-24-2009, 08:19 PM
Political suicide would be failing to pass HCR.

Especially since BHO declared it WILL be passed....;-)

kg

YardleyLabs
08-24-2009, 08:35 PM
Healthcare Reform without Tort Reform is a non-starter.

But the Dems won't go there.

And I can't wait until they are forced to deal with the illegal alien healthcare issue.

To wit, notice how on one hand Osama says that illegals won't be offered free healthcare insurance...and on the other hand, believes that they should not be turned away from the emergency room. Who the hell does he think pays for the "emergency room"?

Democrats are actually quite simple creatures actually. They believe that government knows what's best for you and your money better than you do. And to consolidate their powerbase, they pass out entitlements to those too lazy or unwilling to make something of themselves.

Whew! I feel better now.
The fact that illegal aliens receive emergency care has nothing to do with health care reform. It relates to the fact that under Medicare, since 1986 (President Reagan), the Emergency Medical Treatment and Active Labor Act has mandated that all emergency care providers receiving medicare funds provide care without regard to the ability of the recipient to pay. This includes illegal aliens. With the adoption of the medicare prescription program (under President Bush), $250 million in Federal funds were designated for payment of costs associated with emergency care provided to illegal aliens. The law does not relieve the individual of responsibility for payment. However, less than half of emergency room bills for uninsured persons are paid. BTW, even before the Federal law was passed, most states had laws requiring provision of emergency care without regard to payment.

Gerry Clinchy
08-25-2009, 10:18 AM
The fact that illegal aliens receive emergency care has nothing to do with health care reform.

It will after the next step in the agenda ... amnesty.

Yes, McCain supported that as well; I disagree with both of them on that on the principle that there are those standing in line for legal admission to the US. It is a slap in the face to those people to just let the illegals stay here with no penalty for their illegal entry. They broke the law ... and we should "reward" that?

Raymond Little
08-25-2009, 10:57 AM
That's a pretty ridiculous comment. Did you think the same of GWB when he used the "nuclear" option to overcome resistance to tax cuts and to open ended off the books financing for the war? What about the Republican Senate leadership when they began pursuing the "nuclear" option to ram judges down the throats of the Democrats? Or do you save your outrage for those with whom you disagree. Within limits, what's good for the goose is good for the gander.
Different as Dog Turds and Apples Jeff.;)

YardleyLabs
08-25-2009, 12:28 PM
Different as Dog Turds and Apples Jeff.;)

I never called Bush and his cronies "Dog Turds" and I don't think you should either.:rolleyes:

TXduckdog
08-25-2009, 12:35 PM
We can agree on that. First step, will be to restore funding to the VA that Bush reduced in his last budget.

http://www.truthout.org/article/veterans-face-consecutive-budget-cuts

Uh....you missed something....like the facts..... from the same article....."The White House budget office, however, assumes that the veterans' medical services budget - up 83 percent since Bush took office and winning a big increase in Bush's proposed 2008 budget - can absorb a 2 percent cut the following year and remain essentially frozen for three years in a row after that."

And this....."The budget for hospital and medical care for veterans is funded for the current year at $35.6 billion, and would rise to $39.6 billion in 2008 under Bush's budget. That's about 9 percent. But the budget faces a cut to $38.8 billion in 2009 and would hover around that level through 2012."

So how can you say he reduced the funding? I love it when the Left claim a republican reduced funding when what happened was the actual budget numbers was ONLY 9% instead of the projected budget increase was 11%.

Your source Truthout.org is nothing but a subsidary of MoveOn.org....a leftist, democratic site.