PDA

View Full Version : PRCD/PRA Clinic: Oct 9 to Oct 29, 2009

Gerry Clinchy
08-26-2009, 02:53 PM
There will be a prcd/PRA clinic at the GRCA National Specialty in Oklahoma. But you can participate no matter what breed or where you are located!

Yup, we're doing it again. Bigger and better.

Testing will be done on Thursday, Oct. 22 from 4 to 6 PM at the TeePee at the field trial grounds AND ALSO on Mon. & Tues. Oct. 26 & 27, at the GRF booth at the show site, from 9 AM to 4 PM. Kaye Fuller will do vampire work at the field trial; Mike Lappin at the show site. Help out! Even if just for an hour ... hold dogs & shuffle paper. (The GRCA Natl Specialty events will be in the vicinity of Enid, OK.)

We need one volunteer to take Kaye's samples on Thursday night, keep them in a cooler, and deliver them to Mike on Monday at the GRF booth.

As with last year, you will be able to send cheek swabs in using our clinic code GRCNS910 (which will be active Oct. 9 to Oct. 29). Cheek swabs can be hand-carried to drop off with Mike Lappin on Mon. or Tues., sent to Mike at his hotel. NEW THIS YEAR! You can also send samples direct to Optigen (as long as they arrive at Optigen by Oct. 29).

In all cases, you should contact me at clinchyg@fast.net if you will be providing samples, no matter which of these mutliple services you will use. We provide Optigen with a "Master List" to make sure everyone who participates gets their discount!

Tell your all-breed club! All breeds may participate in the PRCD clinic.

Full instructions will shortly be posted to the National Specialty website. If you have any trouble finding them there, just let me know, and I will send you a copy of those instructions privately.

You'll save 30% over the regular test cost!

Gerry

*** PERMISSION TO CROSSPOST!***

achiro
08-26-2009, 04:48 PM
If you need a fridge to put them in overnight instead of just a cooler I have a couple in the garage.

Bait
08-26-2009, 05:48 PM
If you need a fridge to put them in overnight instead of just a cooler I have a couple in the garage.Dude, if you got any beer in those fridges that needs to come out to make room, let me know. I'll be there the week of the FT. I'll help ya clear it out.

Gerry Clinchy
08-28-2009, 12:02 PM
If you need a fridge to put them in overnight instead of just a cooler I have a couple in the garage.

Thanks, achiro, can you contact me directly at clinchyg@fast.net.

Gerry Clinchy
09-06-2009, 09:36 AM
I received an inquiry from someone who will not be attending the Golden Natl Spec, and thought that this "feature" of the clinic would bear repeating.

This year Optigen is letting us make this a "satellite" clinic as well. This means between Oct. 9 & 29, you can send samples directly to Optigen no matter where you are located.

If you and your friends have a few dogs you'd like to test, you can get together your own little "mini-clinic" in your area & share the cost of shipping samples direct to Optigen. This might be helpful if you prefer to send blood samples (which I do). Samples can also be drawn by a vet tech. Don't need a vet to do that. This could also be a saving if you group together.

The only reason I might prefer blood: someone tested a dog last year via cheek swab and got a "carrier" result. Then they began to wonder if they could have contaminated the result, so they retested the dog with a blood sample. (Paid for the test twice ... not cheap.) They did, indeed, get the same result with the blood sample, but might have saved themselves some $ and angst if they had done the blood the first time.

The cost of the test with this clinic discount (and ordering online) is a total of 30%, thus reducing the cost of the test to around $136.25 (v. $185 using online ordering only).

This could be really helpful for people out there who have Labs & Chessies or who live in areas where getting together a clinic of 20 dogs would be a problem for you.

If you need more help in the details, just contact me directly at clinchyg@fast.net

Kevin WI
09-07-2009, 01:45 PM
Didn't see any instructions on the specialty website...only links went to DNA collection for free from all breeds (no mention of PRA/PRCD on that page)

Gerry Clinchy
09-14-2009, 08:01 AM
Kevin, I sent the stuff to the proper people about 10 days ago.

If you, or anyone you know, would like the info, I can send it to you in Adobe format. Just send a note to me direct at clinchyg@fast.net.

I've had some inquiries already. We have our first Chessie signed up, from Canada!

The clinic code will become active on Oct. 9.

Gerry Clinchy
09-17-2009, 06:28 PM
Still looking for a volunteer to either keep blood samples in a cooler from Thursday night at the FT banquet & then deliver to GRF's Mike Lappin at show site on Monday ... or pick them up from Russ Anderson's fridge & deliver to Mike on Monday.

Shouldn't take up much space, but need to keep the samples cool (not frozen).

As I understand it, the FT site to show site is maybe 10 minutes ... but not sure if those are 10 Oklahoma minutes; or ten New Jersey minutes :-)

Please email me direct at clinchyg@fast.net

achiro
09-28-2009, 04:47 PM
Still looking for a volunteer to either keep blood samples in a cooler from Thursday night at the FT banquet & then deliver to GRF's Mike Lappin at show site on Monday ... or pick them up from Russ Anderson's fridge & deliver to Mike on Monday.

Shouldn't take up much space, but need to keep the samples cool (not frozen).

As I understand it, the FT site to show site is maybe 10 minutes ... but not sure if those are 10 Oklahoma minutes; or ten New Jersey minutes :-)

Please email me direct at clinchyg@fast.net
Gerry if you could just have Mike call me and we can figure something out.

I am off at 530 on Thursday and could just go pick them up from him I am sure.

Gerry Clinchy
09-28-2009, 09:11 PM
Hi, Russ

Kaye Fuller will have the samples at the Teepee at the entrance to the field trial grounds. She'll be drawing blood there from 4 to 6 PM. The FT banquet starts at the Lodge at 6 PM.

Anne McGuire may be able to get the samples from your fridge to the show site at the Colesium on Sunday or Monday. Mike arrives at his hotel Sat.night. Then he does more blood draws at the GRF booth on Monday & Tuesday.

I'm waiting to hear back from Anne. Not sure how far your fridge is from the show site ...

It's kind of odd the way the events are this year that there are 4 days between the two "clinics". Last year they were pretty much back-to-back & Mike did the blood draws, so we didn't have this "gap" of bringing the two groups of blood samples together. But we wanted to try and get the clinic to the field trial people since they'll probably be taking off for another weekend event even before Mike arrives. The Master National starts on the 25th also.

Gerry Clinchy
09-28-2009, 09:14 PM
Didn't see any instructions on the specialty website...only links went to DNA collection for free from all breeds (no mention of PRA/PRCD on that page)

Kevin, did somebody get the instructions to you? If not, just send me an email at clinchyg@fast.net

We have about 20 dogs "signed up". Like last year, a Chessie was the first to sign up :-) Also will have some Labs and English Cockers.

Several will be sending their samples directly to Optigen.

achiro
09-29-2009, 10:42 AM
Not sure how far your fridge is from the show site ...
I'm about 10 minutes from both the lodge and the coliseum.