PDA

View Full Version : Message to Legislature - Stand up for what is right, get rewarded

Terry Britton
09-11-2009, 01:14 PM
This is how it should work. Rep. Joe Wilson got $200K for standing up against lies.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/09/11/wilson.fundraising/index.html

Buzz
09-11-2009, 01:27 PM
Terry, I know you can read better than that, you just need to slow down a bit.

Wilson has raised over $200k.

His upcoming opponent, Democrat, Retired Marine, and Iraq vet - Rob Miller has raised over $750,000.:cool:

Look for it to go over $1,000,000 before the weekend ends.

In Miller's own words:

I never thought I would run for Congress -- or feel like I had to. I have always thought of myself as a Marine. I started thinking that way not long after my father died when I was 14 years old. Since I enlisted at the age of 20, the Marine Corps has been my extended family and I couldn't imagine that would ever change.

But it did after my second tour of duty in Iraq -- where I fought to maintain the peace, but also to enable Iraqis to build better schools, improved hospitals, to help create jobs and, where possible, a stable economy and civil society.

When I returned home to my wife and six year old son, I saw that the politicians in Washington were not fighting for these same things at home. Worse, the congressman who represented the second district where I live -- Rep. Joe Wilson -- was part of that elite circle of George Bush loyalists who chose to enact a radical agenda, never mind the lives and wellbeing of the constituents he was pledged to represent.

Bob Gutermuth
09-11-2009, 01:54 PM
I hope Wilson gets re-elected. He told the truth the other night, osama told nothing but lies to the people.

Buzz
09-11-2009, 02:51 PM
Interesting what the people of SC think:

http://publicpolicypolling.blogspot.com/2009/09/wilson-in-trouble.html

FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 11, 2009
Wilson in Trouble
In a matter of seconds Wednesday night Joe Wilson went from being pretty safe for reelection to one of the most vulnerable Republican incumbents in the country.

Wilson trails Democratic challenger Rob Miller 44-43 in a PPP survey conducted Thursday night and Friday morning. Last year Wilson defeated Miller 54-46.

62% of voters in SC-2 disapprove of Wilson's actions while just 29% think they were ok. By a 48-41 margin Republicans think what he did was fine, but independents are opposed to it by a 66/25 margin and Democrats are 84/10.

While there is a pretty strong consensus among respondents that the way Wilson expressed his opinion is inappropriate, they are almost evenly divided about whether the substance of his comment was correct. 42% think that Obama was lying when he said illegal immigrants wouldn't be covered by his health care plans, while 46% think he was telling the truth.

Overall 49% of voters say they are less likely to vote for Wilson in the future because he called Obama a liar, while 35% say they are more likely to do so. 56% of Republicans say that Wilson's calling out the President makes them more likely to support him.

It will be interesting to see if there is a push now for Wilson to not seek reelection. In a Republican climate there's no reason this seat should be competitive next year, but as long as Wilson is the GOP candidate it will be. If he stepped aside it would probably go back to being safe Republican.

ducknwork
09-11-2009, 03:06 PM
I doubt that an ex marine vet would be the same kind of democrat that Obama is. Perhaps he would be tolerable. Maybe even possess common sense and reason.
________
Ipad Guides (http://ipadguides.info)

Buzz
09-11-2009, 07:41 PM
Now I'm reading that Wilson has raised about $750k, Miller has raised over $1M.

Gerry Clinchy
09-11-2009, 08:20 PM
I must be listening to the "wrong" conservative media. Today, Michael Medved, discussed Wilson and said that it was uncategorically wrong to endorse the disrespect that Wilson showed to the President. He added that conservatives could not hope to persuade anyone of the validity of their views by condoning such rudeness and disrespect.

Wilson tendered a quick apology for his impetuous outburst. Nobody seems to be saying much about that. Don't know about you guys, but there's probably been more than once when I wished I had put my brain in gear before I let my emotions speak for me. I wouldn't condone his action, but respect that he was quick to realize his error and do the only thing he could do, apologize.

luvmylabs23139
09-11-2009, 08:32 PM
The guy spoke the truth. I cheered him when he said it. Why should anyone have to listen to bumface lie and keep his mouth shut? I thought free speach was a part of our constitution.
This is one thing I miss about the UK, when the leaders are full of **** they are called out.

Bruce MacPherson
09-11-2009, 09:00 PM
I don't live in his district, I sent him a nice donation. The rules used to be when the President was addressing a joint session that no one said a word. Of course we all know that the Dems made a career out of booing Bush. In my mind all bets are off.

Terry Britton
09-11-2009, 09:00 PM
I must be listening to the "wrong" conservative media. Today, Michael Medved, discussed Wilson and said that it was uncategorically wrong to endorse the disrespect that Wilson showed to the President. He added that conservatives could not hope to persuade anyone of the validity of their views by condoning such rudeness and disrespect.

Wilson tendered a quick apology for his impetuous outburst. Nobody seems to be saying much about that. Don't know about you guys, but there's probably been more than once when I wished I had put my brain in gear before I let my emotions speak for me. I wouldn't condone his action, but respect that he was quick to realize his error and do the only thing he could do, apologize.

I understand your thinking, but we are talking about some really bad stuff and trends in DC these days. If he would have waited, no one would have paid attention.

He is represents his voters just like a coach represents his football team. When a football or basketball team is being screwed over by those in power (officials), it does no good to wait a week, and talk about it politely to the media. It is the coach's job to immediately call the officials out for bad calls, or making calls up (lies). I expect my employees in DC to point out lies, and corruption when it is in progress, and not in a polite note to the press weeks later after everyone has been snowed under.

Things are moving too fast to wait.

Obama wants to talk about being called out, so he should expect "What is good for the goose, should also be good for the gander." We do need real solutions in DC, and people to fight for the people like Tom Coburn and a few other good guys.

luvmylabs23139
09-11-2009, 09:23 PM
Why can the dummacts disrupt with cheers for BUMMA lies? Isn't that the same thing?

cotts135
09-12-2009, 05:38 AM
So the congressman yells out in a joint session where the President is talking "You lie". Big f................ing deal. It probably violated some unwritten rule of decorum and seriousness and maybe was not the smartest thing to do but let's move on and instead of criticizing a politician for an outburst that has no real world consequences, other than a media that can sensationalize it, lets start holding these same guys to more important standard such as working honestly and in good faith for the people they represent.

YardleyLabs
09-12-2009, 06:00 AM
So the congressman yells out in a joint session where the President is talking "You lie". Big f................ing deal. It probably violated some unwritten rule of decorum and seriousness and maybe was not the smartest thing to do but let's move on and instead of criticizing a politician for an outburst that has no real world consequences, other than a media that can sensationalize it, lets start holding these same guys to more important standard such as working honestly and in good faith for the people they represent.
I agree. Boorishness is its own reward. Partisan approval and disapproval have always been shown during such speeches. The latter is normally shown through absolute silence and sitting on hands in sharp contrast to those applauding or by murmured grumbles. English parliamentary traditions have always been much more dramatic. A few loud shouts of liar during the last administration might have done us all good.

dnf777
09-12-2009, 06:33 AM
Certainly no laws were broken, but a large disrespect for the office of the Presidency was committed. I don't think he should be officially sanctioned or compelled to apologize in any way, but I think he SHOULD of his own will, and show a little class.

Do we really want our gov't to turn into a town hall meeting? Is there no place or time for acting like adults, and showing respect? I was upset at the shoe throwing incident at Pres. Bush, just as I am upset at this childish, disrespectful behavior.

Sundown49 aka Otey B
09-12-2009, 08:33 AM
well at least ONE person in that chamber told the TRUTH.

Bob Gutermuth
09-12-2009, 09:05 AM
It was ok when dingy Harry called President bush a liar. I guess its who you know.

Roger Perry
09-12-2009, 09:19 AM
I hope Wilson gets re-elected. He told the truth the other night, osama told nothing but lies to the people.

How do you know what Obama said in his speech Bob, you did not listen to it.
Here is your quote from another thread

"I am glad I have cable, I can find a station to watch where there is something intelligent being shown instead of listening to the messiah."

And what "words of truth" did Wilson exactly speak and exactly what did Obama lie about? Please provide a reliable reference to go along with your accuations.

Buzz
09-12-2009, 10:00 AM
Certainly no laws were broken, but a large disrespect for the office of the Presidency was committed. I don't think he should be officially sanctioned or compelled to apologize in any way, but I think he SHOULD of his own will, and show a little class.

Do we really want our gov't to turn into a town hall meeting? Is there no place or time for acting like adults, and showing respect? I was upset at the shoe throwing incident at Pres. Bush, just as I am upset at this childish, disrespectful behavior.

I agree with you Dave, and I disagree whole heartedly with Jeff. One of the things that has made this country a success is the ability to respectfully disagree and engage in civil debate, and accept the results of an election that did not go your way(the peaceful transfer or power). Those things are being intentionally undermined by folks like Palin who incites shout outs at campaign rallies like terrorist, traitor, liar, with talk about palling around with terrorists etc. They are undermined by Tea Bagging nut cases that show up at town hall meetings to shout down and intimidate anyone who disagrees with them. They are undermined by the likes of Joe Wilson who shout out YOU LIE before a joint address to congress. They are undermined by people like Glenn Beck who profit from feeding the anxieties of the paranoid. Glenn Beck is leading a march on Washington of the 9/12 movement. One of the sponsors of the 9/12 movement is an organization called The National Association of Rural Landowners NARLO. If you want just a little taste of what these guys are all about follow this link. It really gets good at about the 8:05 mark, where the guy threatens civil war. They fit like peas in a pod with guys like Rick Perry Gov of Texas and now Rick Pawenty Gov of Minnesota who are advocating succession.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5Ewwmikc9Q

These people say they love America, but they really hate it. They are unwilling to accept the will of the majority, have no respect for election results - they are unwilling to accept them, and will stop at nothing to delegitimize a democratically elected government and president.

And another example from a CNN report, this guy is actually trying to incite violence against the president:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVwfdaYuy1k&feature=player_embedded

The United States has a desperate political party, riding a wave of anger and hate. The fringe has taken over republicans.

ducknwork
09-12-2009, 10:55 AM
They are unwilling to accept the will of the majority,

Sounds oddly similar to someone I know of who wants to push policies upon us regardless of what constituents say they want...I won't say any names, but his initials are BHO.
________
Lamborghini lm001 history (http://www.lamborghini-tech.com/wiki/Lamborghini_LM001)

YardleyLabs
09-12-2009, 11:00 AM
Sounds oddly similar to someone I know of who wants to push policies upon us regardless of what constituents say they want...I won't say any names, but his initials are BHO.
The essence of representative democracy is that the constituents that count are the ones that vote and the time that opinions count most is when they are expressed on the ballot. Right now, BHO is doing exactly what he said he would do with respect to the economy, health care, taxes, and the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. He would be a fool to do otherwise. If he fails, he may lose the next election. If he succeeds, he may lose the election anyway if the people who voted for him originally decide that they made a mistake.

ducknwork
09-12-2009, 11:03 AM
Those things are being intentionally undermined by folks like Palin who incites shout outs at campaign rallies like terrorist, traitor, liar, with talk about palling around with terrorists etc. If the shoe fits... They are undermined by Tea Bagging nut cases that show up at town hall meetings to shout down and intimidate anyone who disagrees with them. ...Or won't allow them to speak or lies to their face or refuses to represent their constituents or switches parties or asks for ID before fielding a question... They are undermined by the likes of Joe Wilson who shout out YOU LIE before a joint address to congress. Hmmm. The truth is sometimes uncomfortable. They are undermined by people like Glenn Beck who profit from feeding the anxieties of the paranoid. Or exposing things that the MSM wants to hide from us in order to protect the chosen one...

The United States has a desperate political party, riding a wave of anger and hate. The fringe has taken over republicans.

We should be seeing desperate action with some of the things that are being forced upon us. Would you rather lay down and submit to their will?
________
How To Make A Heat Gun Vaporizer (http://www.vaporshop.com)

ducknwork
09-12-2009, 11:13 AM
The essence of representative democracy is that the constituents that count are the ones that vote and the time that opinions count most is when they are expressed on the ballot.

Why do we bother calling our senators and representatives if it doesn't matter?
________
PAYMENT PROTECTION INSURANCE ADVICE (http://www.insurance-forums.org/payment-protection-insurance/)

Buzz
09-12-2009, 01:19 PM
We should be seeing desperate action with some of the things that are being forced upon us. Would you rather lay down and submit to their will?

I rest my case, once again...

ducknwork
09-12-2009, 01:45 PM
Sorry, boss. Not a republican and I am not riding a wave of anger or hate. Not sure where you get that from...

What is the Buzz approved method of dealing with politicians who are steering the country in a bad direction, no matter the party?

The way I see it, is that you have to do something to beat out their sensationalism in order to even get noticed. If Joe Wilson had waited until the next day to accuse Obama of lying, do you think that the language would have gotten added to the bill regarding illegals? I doubt it. Most likely, people would still be asking 'Who is Joe Wilson?'
________
Yamaha it250h history (http://www.yamaha-tech.com/wiki/Yamaha_IT250H)

Gerry Clinchy
09-13-2009, 07:55 AM
1) What did O lie about? Even before his Wed. speech, the issue had been raised that there was no language in the proposed legislation that would have provided for preventing illegals from participating. [will that require a National ID? I thought we already had one ... an SS #] And we also knows that he and many Ds favor amnesty for illegal aliens, so it is reasonable to believe that once he gets his health care plan in place, he would then work on the amnesty issue. If he tried for amnesty first, he would doom both agendas.

2) Joe Wilson was still rude & disrespectful. His apology was quick in coming. It was just as rude and disrespectful for legislators to boo Bush. There is safety in numbers, it appears, as I don't recall any of them apologizing. And what did the media have to say about that? [I don't remember.] Either you respect the highest office of your country, or you don't. Either you respect the rule of law that is the foundation of a republic, or you don't. UK's parliament is worse. UK's health care system also admits to putting a dollar value on what health care an individual can/will receive. Does that mean the UK is right on both counts? OTOH, the rule of law would also allow that in most cases one may assault another with words, but not with a baseball bat (although our laws make an exception for "racial baiting" and some wish to make it law for "gay baiting" as well.)

3) It is absolutely the responsibility and privilege of citizens to inform their representatives of their opinions, whether the representative was their ballot choice or not. In a republic there is democracy. Majority chooses the representatives, but those representatives are also required to respect the rights of the minority. Every once in a while, the minority can have some good ideas. You could say that people like Bill Gates and Steve Jobs are a minority in our population ... but they had some good & valuable ideas when it came to computers.

4) In local 9/12 activities, the rules of law were closely observed by the 9/12 people. It was the opposition who did not observe the local ordinances for demonstration; and that baited those peacefully demonstrating. To categorize an entire group based on a couple of wingnuts (because they make good headlines) does not help get at the truth. There is surely guilt on both sides on that issue.

5) Joe Wilson is not a basketball coach, & Obama is not a ref. Joe Wilson, and/or others, could have made effective refutations of O's statements in many ways immediately following the speech.

6) "O is doing what he said he would" ... yup, he's followed a lot of things he said he would do. And also some things he said he wouldn't do: he said he would use line-item veto to attack "pork"; he gave the pharma companies a large concession in the health care legislation; put lobbyists in positions of power in his administration; from the outset he impeded bi-partisanship by stressing he would get what he wanted with or without bi-partisan support.

7) While Glen Beck might be wrong about a lot of things, he was, it appears, right about Van Jones. I'm still amazed that Jones could get through any kind of vetting process. Equally amazing, perhaps, is how quickly he was thrown under the bus.

helencalif
09-13-2009, 11:57 AM
Gerry, there are a lot of good points made in your posts. Keep them coming.

Regarding Joe Wilson's outburst, he immediately apologized to the President and the VP. He has publicly said he regretted his "town hall moment" and was sincerely sorry. He also said on national television this morning when interviewed that he respects the President and the office of the President.

IMHO he does not have to be brought before Congress next week to be rebuked and publicly humiliated.

If Pelosi insists upon doing so, people will see this as mere politics by the Democrats and it will backfire.

Did Pelosi apologize for her statements about the CIA?

Blackstone
09-13-2009, 02:11 PM
The outburst by Joe Wilson was inappropriate and disrespectful, not only to Obama, but to the office of the Presidency. It doesnít matter that he didnít agree with what the President was saying, it was still wrong. I have seen a lot of Presidential speeches going back to Nixon, and Iíve never seen behavior like that from either side of the aisle. I canít remember a president that hasnít lied to us at one time or another during a speech, so thatís no excuse for Wilsonís behavior.

There was outrage by some on this board when Obama said the Cambridge Police acted ďstupidlyĒ in the way they handled the Gates issue. Yet, a Senator calling the President a liar during a nationally televised speech is applauded for his courage to speak up. Sounds like a double standard to me. Both comments were inappropriate, and should not have been made.

Buzz
09-13-2009, 02:58 PM
I hope Rob Miller sends Joe Miller back to the private sector.

Blackstone
09-13-2009, 03:21 PM
Gerry, there are a lot of good points made in your posts. Keep them coming.

Regarding Joe Wilson's outburst, he immediately apologized to the President and the VP. He has publicly said he regretted his "town hall moment" and was sincerely sorry. He also said on national television this morning when interviewed that he respects the President and the office of the President.

IMHO he does not have to be brought before Congress next week to be rebuked and publicly humiliated.

If Pelosi insists upon doing so, people will see this as mere politics by the Democrats and it will backfire.

Did Pelosi apologize for her statements about the CIA?

I really don't think Jo Wilson's apology was sincere. I just don't think he expected the negative backlash regarding his outburst, some of which came from his own party.

However, I do agree there is nothing to be gained by bringing him before Congress. I think Obama would be served best by continuing dismiss Wilson, and take the high road.

Uncle Bill
09-13-2009, 06:25 PM
I really don't think Jo Wilson's apology was sincere. I just don't think he expected the negative backlash regarding his outburst, some of which came from his own party.

However, I do agree there is nothing to be gained by bringing him before Congress. I think Obama would be served best by continuing dismiss Wilson, and take the high road.

I'm sorry Mr. Blackstone. I shouldn't have thrown those hard questions at you on another thread. You make those answers unnecessary. It's all to obvious...you are a member of the sheeple...only too happy to be sheared and controlled by the thugs you have voted into office.

Just a quick note: As long as it's clear you have no concern for your loss of freedoms, can we all expect you to pony up for the extravagance your POTUS is requiring of the rest of us? No need to answer. I'm pretty sure what bracket you are in. But trust me when I say, you takers will also be asked to 'contribute'....and that's not far away either.

UB

YardleyLabs
09-13-2009, 06:42 PM
I'm sorry Mr. Blackstone. I shouldn't have thrown those hard questions at you on another thread. You make those answers unnecessary. It's all to obvious...you are a member of the sheeple...only too happy to be sheared and controlled by the thugs you have voted into office.

Just a quick note: As long as it's clear you have no concern for your loss of freedoms, can we all expect you to pony up for the extravagance your POTUS is requiring of the rest of us? No need to answer. I'm pretty sure what bracket you are in. But trust me when I say, you takers will also be asked to 'contribute'....and that's not far away either.

UB
Obama still qualifies as rounding error when compared to the screwing we got from the last President. One problem, among many, is that the last President proposed and secured passage of a series of tax cuts followed by a big tax increase in 2010. Given the extent of everyone's concern about the deficit, I assume that we are united in opposing the even greater deficits that will be created for our grandchildren if Congress votes to rescind the Bush tax increases given the lack of money to pay the cost.:rolleyes:

Uncle Bill
09-13-2009, 07:09 PM
Obama still qualifies as rounding error when compared to the screwing we got from the last President. One problem, among many, is that the last President proposed and secured passage of a series of tax cuts followed by a big tax increase in 2010. Given the extent of everyone's concern about the deficit, I assume that we are united in opposing the even greater deficits that will be created for our grandchildren if Congress votes to rescind the Bush tax increases given the lack of money to pay the cost.:rolleyes:

Not any more. I'm no longer gonna pay for your idiotic vote. You've done all the damage to me you can. I'm well below the poverty level now, so you and your like minded yahoos that voted in this socialistic/fascist administration will have to run it by yourself.

And it will be by yourself. It's a matter of time before Atlas WILL shrug, and all of you SFN sheeple will be without any more 'targets' for your class envy to thrive on. Won't it be fun when YOUR class will become the "rich" that your messiah likes to 'call out'.

But you will still be a dwarf...because, as Lincoln once said, you can't make short folk into tall men, by cutting the legs off the tall men.

UB

Blackstone
09-13-2009, 08:28 PM

UB

Uncle Bill,

You really donít know anything about me. If I took you seriously, I would probably be offended by your inane name calling and attacks on my character. However, I think I will follow the course I prescribed for Obama. I will take the high road, and just ignore your inappropriate outburst.