PDA

View Full Version : Acadiana Retriever Club Triple D-Q 2010

D. Province
09-18-2009, 11:28 AM
Anyone been to this before? What exactly is a Triple D-Q"

Mark Sehon
09-18-2009, 11:44 AM
Three clubs having 3 derbys and 3 quals all in the same weekend on the same grounds. South La., Port Arthur, and Acadiana Retrievers Clubs host the 3DQ. The grounds are Norco, La. (The Spillway). I have judged, worked, and ran the 3DQ. What a blast!!

Vicki Worthington
09-18-2009, 11:53 AM
As Chad stated earlier in a different thread, a Triple D-Q is three separate clubs uniting to have 3 derby-qualifying stakes on a single weekend.

The Triple D-Q in Louisiana is (or at least has been in the past) somewhat different from the one in NY/NJ because all 3 clubs have something going on at the same time, where the one in NY/NJ holds a single club's D-Q in a single day (i.e. Shrewsbury D-Q on Friday; Long Island D-Q on Saturday; and Westchester D-Q on Sunday) The NY/NJ triple also moves from grounds to grounds.

Louisiana, in previous years, has started 2 derby stakes and 1 qualifying stake on Friday and flip-flopped to 2 qualifying stakes and 1 derby beginning about mid-day on Saturday. That gives each stake a day and a half to complete. The Spillway grounds are parceled out between the 3 clubs, giving each a portion for the 2 stakes for that club.

The thing a lot of folks miss about the LA structure is the number of series a dog can conceivably run in a single day--especially if the dog is entered in both the qualifying and the derby! Running order in the catalog is of little importance--to make this thing work, the clubs have a formula they use & handlers are passed from stake to stake by this means. A dog in both the derby and qualifying could run 9 series (or more) in a single day! Having judged one club's D-Q in Louisiana before, its pretty amazing how well the clubs run those trials!

You get a lot of marks. The set-ups are good and better like most field trials everywhere. You get ZERO time to address issues that come up between trials, unlike when running a single trial in a weekend. The old saying that "if a dog does something 3 times its a habit, but it takes 6 months to a year to break a habit" really can come into play when running lots of stuff on a single weekend!

D. Province
09-18-2009, 01:21 PM
Wow, is all I can say. This might be worth doing. My dog hits 24 months in February and I have family in Beaumont Texas.

Mark Rosenblum
09-20-2009, 11:05 AM
The Louisiana Triple DQ is run on very interesting grounds and the mechanics are excellent.

Also, the quality of restaurants are the best the retriever game can offer. Shrimp PO- Boys for lunch instead of Subway. Dinner selections too numerous to mention but I must say I had turtle soup and seafood gumbo at the same sitting! 'Ate the leftovers from the outstanding King Neptune platter the next day while judging.

The dining, the wisdom of the chief organizer, the dog knowledge and humor of Mark Smith, new young professionals working with a new group of young dogs, the enthusiasm, the locals hunting pouldieu, the local rabbit hunters, the local fisherman, the model airplane flyers all add to charm of this wonderful event held in January

LukesMom
09-20-2009, 11:38 AM
Where did you eat dinner? Will be there in Oct. judging Hunt Test.

Mark Rosenblum
09-20-2009, 12:03 PM
First of all the locals know best but there are 3 places very close to grounds , all a bit different:
1. Middendorf's, up the road 5-10 miles is excellent traditional fried seafood
2. Bully's next to the best western hotel is a bar with a dining room in the back. Excellent fried oysters, shrimps. Easy to navigate, especially if you met Capt. Morgan over at the Best Western
3. Bull's Corner- nice restaurant conveniently located between hotel and grounds. Nicely prepared dishes including Mark Smith's favorite : Redfish Ponchetrain

There area bunch others, expecially if you head toward Nawlins ( not very far). But, I ain'nt the one to be talkin, Ijust enjoy tryin new restaurants!