PDA

View Full Version : the 'entitlement' mentality

Juli H
09-18-2009, 02:18 PM
I recently took a job working in our local grocery store, a little extra money and a way to help pass the long dark days of winter...LOL...

I have been incredibly disheartened by what the welfare system has done to enable people of lower income to stay that way.

It is disgusting to me that people (of all races, ages) will use food stamps to buy the crappiest, most unhealthy food imaginable. And that the gov't allows it.

I am not talking a small percentage of food either......probably 60% of food stamp sales include:
frozen prepared meals or boxed meals
candy (of all types)
cases of soda
single serving bottled drinks such as sodas, red bull, full throttle, etc...
chips and other unhealthy snacks
cookies of all kinds
cakes
pies
ice cream and ice cream bars
deli items
gum

VERY VERY little food stamp money is spent on
fresh produce, meat, cheese, dairy, etc....the kind of food that people SHOULD buy....

and then of course, people on foodstamps now have a 'debit' card. This allows them to buy food with foodstamps discretely...

I have absolutely NO problem with the foodstamp program as it was intended. When I was a little girl, my mom had to go on food stamps for a short while. It was embarrassing and I will tell you for certain we bought REAL food with it and made each penny count ( I recall peanut butter being a staple at that time, LOL)....Last night I had a guy come in and use his food stamp card only to find out there was no money left...So he pulled a large wad of cash and gave me a $100 bill to pay for the groceries (which consisted of chips, soda, candy, prepared foods)

oh and then to have them ask for cigarettes is another 'good feeling' kind'a moment...

Something needs to be done to stop the insanity.

that's my vent for today!

Juli

Richard Fuquay
09-18-2009, 02:36 PM
You can bet that the lobbyists for the unhealthy food industry wouldn't allow the food stamp program to be reformed. If food stamps couldn't buy candy, cookies, chips and other junk food their sales would drop significantly.

BonMallari
09-18-2009, 02:39 PM
when I was in high school, I worked a couple of weekends for a former BIL who was a pharmacist, I will always remember this one woman that came in with three children in tow, expecting a fourth, using food stamps for sodas and other junk foods and then going outside and hopping into a brand new Cadillac Eldorado and we were not in the hood. We were in the fashionable part of Westwood Calif. walking distance from UCLA,expensive shopping,restaurants,and movie stars...

Entitlement programs also put BHO in law school as it did for his wife too..coincidence I dont think so..

ducknwork
09-18-2009, 03:26 PM
When my wife and I were expecting our first child, I didn't make a ton of money and we decided she was going to stay home and raise our babies. (Best decision we have ever made) We had multiple people tell us to 'just get WIC'. These same people had nice cars, nice clothes. They could have afforded what they need for the kids, but then they would have to have a little less spending money, or eat out less, or drive a different car. They would tell me how much formula they would get and free milk, etc bla, bla, bla...I just smiled and nodded. I would never do it. There is always some way that I can sacrifice to feed my family. Call me stupid, but I just have too much pride to accept handouts that I don't need.

Now we have two kids and one on the way and she still stays at home. I am still not taking any handouts.
________
POT (http://www.youtube.com/dispensaries)

JDogger
09-19-2009, 12:12 AM
I recently took a job working in our local grocery store, a little extra money and a way to help pass the long dark days of winter...LOL...

I have been incredibly disheartened by what the welfare system has done to enable people of lower income to stay that way.

It is disgusting to me that people (of all races, ages) will use food stamps to buy the crappiest, most unhealthy food imaginable. And that the gov't allows it.

I am not talking a small percentage of food either......probably 60% of food stamp sales include:
frozen prepared meals or boxed meals
candy (of all types)
cases of soda
single serving bottled drinks such as sodas, red bull, full throttle, etc...
chips and other unhealthy snacks
cookies of all kinds
cakes
pies
ice cream and ice cream bars
deli items
gum

VERY VERY little food stamp money is spent on
fresh produce, meat, cheese, dairy, etc....the kind of food that people SHOULD buy....

and then of course, people on foodstamps now have a 'debit' card. This allows them to buy food with foodstamps discretely...

I have absolutely NO problem with the foodstamp program as it was intended. When I was a little girl, my mom had to go on food stamps for a short while. It was embarrassing and I will tell you for certain we bought REAL food with it and made each penny count ( I recall peanut butter being a staple at that time, LOL)....Last night I had a guy come in and use his food stamp card only to find out there was no money left...So he pulled a large wad of cash and gave me a $100 bill to pay for the groceries (which consisted of chips, soda, candy, prepared foods)

oh and then to have them ask for cigarettes is another 'good feeling' kind'a moment...

Something needs to be done to stop the insanity.

that's my vent for today!

Juli

From ducknwork in another thead;

"It is not society's job to regulate what children eat and drink."

Can you guys get on the same page?

If not, I fear AirAmerica and MSNBC
will maintain their strangle hold on the MSM.

JD

Cody Covey
09-19-2009, 12:59 AM
If I'm paying for it directly that is quite different then me just saying that you can't do something...

ducknwork
09-19-2009, 05:58 AM
If I'm paying for it directly that is quite different then me just saying that you can't do something...

Beat me to it. Totally different situation JDog. In this case, people are given food stamps due to the 'need' for assistance.
________
HEADSHOPS (http://headshop.net/)

JDogger
09-19-2009, 08:32 AM

How would that work with social security recipients?

Bob Gutermuth
09-19-2009, 08:53 AM
They keep talking about the waste in medicade on the tube. Wait till someone discovers all the waste and fraud in foodstamps. I used to see it every day when I was a working cop. Foodstamps exchanged for dope hookers and anything else that was for sale at about $1 of food stamps for 50cents worth of whatever. I went to the crab house last summer to get some ice, there were loafers there buying jumbo shrimp and softcrabs with MY TAX MONEY in the form of foodstamps. I am sick of it. Leeches on the dole should not be able to eat stuff that someone who works for a living or has worked and is retired can't afford.

Gerry Clinchy
09-19-2009, 08:54 AM
JDogger

How would that work with social security recipients?

SS, if I'm not mistaken, was conceived as a retirement/insurance program in that it would provide retirement benefits, but also provide benefits for children of a recipient that died before retirement (maybe the beneficiary provision was not part of the original plan?)

The difference would be, however, that in order to qualify for an SS benefit, you must have contributed to SS for at least a certain # of payment quarters before you are eligible for benefits.

A lot has changed since the original concept came into existence. Probably not all of the changes or "improvements" are consistent with the original concept.

Pete
09-19-2009, 12:27 PM
Americans for the most part,,especially the younger generation have lost their self reliant attitude.

Today most people would not know what to do if foods became unavailable to them for months at a time or their shelter was taken from them.
Its obvious that today if you blow a picture tube or loose your IPOD you call uncle sam for assistance.

Because of the government taking care of people who dont need it,, it has spawned a new mind set in its citizens.

I can remember when I had nothing how those were some of the most fun times of my life. Just figuring how to get out of it and the little things you do to survive are happy memories for me. I never even had the thought of uncle sam giving me a hand out. And today I would still loath the thought.

Living in the city skews your ability to survive,,people I guess are dependant on people for everything. It affects the way you think and thus the way you vote. Which I guess is why most cities vote for people who promise handouts.

Pete

Juli H
09-19-2009, 12:28 PM
amazing....a story about foodstamps in our local Fairbanks paper...unfortunately it has nothing to do with the wasteful spending by people on food stamps....

http://www.newsminer.com/news/2009/sep/19/alaska-legislators-volunteers-try-live-food-stamps/

ducknwork
09-19-2009, 01:57 PM
Pretty good article. BUT...$50 a week for just me would be EASY. We spend 100-130 a week for me, my wife, and our 2 kids. That includes diapers and pullups, my wife's makeup and toiletries. We shop sales and use coupons. We never have any problem not being able to eat what we want. People just have to be smarter about looking for deals.
________
Vapir No2 Vaporizer (http://vapirno2.net)

Juli H
09-19-2009, 02:44 PM
well, I don't know what your food prices are in NC...but up here, for example

3.50 gal milk (2%)
3.50 doz eggs
8-9.00 two lb cheese (unless on sale)
2.50 -3.00/lb apples, oranges
1.00/lb bananas
1.00/ear of corn
2.80/lb ground beef ( I think, we have wild game)
1.99-2.50 lb for whole chickens
1.99 - 2.50 loaf of bread

Gerry Clinchy
09-19-2009, 03:14 PM

3.50 gal milk (2%) about the same
3.50 doz eggs $1.09 to $1.29
8-9.00 two lb cheese (unless on sale) maybe a tad lower, but not alot,
plain old "American Cheese" slices, store brand about $3.50 for 1 lb.
2.50 -3.00/lb apples, oranges about 1/2 your price
1.00/lb bananas 59 cents/lb sometimes lower
1.00/ear of corn in season, 20 to 35 cents each
2.80/lb ground beef ( I think, we have wild game) about the same for
fattier meat; up to $4 - $4.50 for lean
1.99-2.50 lb for whole chickens about 1/2 that here
1.99 - 2.50 loaf of bread the pre-priced brand names $3.99,
store brands start around $1.69

Weird how prices compare to here in PA ... some things are understandably higher in AK, but some are not. I've put the PA prices in blue.

Terry Britton
09-19-2009, 03:23 PM
Pretty good article. BUT...$50 a week for just me would be EASY. We spend 100-130 a week for me, my wife, and our 2 kids. That includes diapers and pullups, my wife's makeup and toiletries. We shop sales and use coupons. We never have any problem not being able to eat what we want. People just have to be smarter about looking for deals.

WOW, $50 a week would be luxury. When I was in Jr. College, I would have about $20 a month for groceries. Venison would make many meals. I don't know how many 25 cent Tonita's pizzas I ate one semester, but they would be breakfast, lunch and dinner. We usually got good meals on road trips in baseball if we won both games of a double header. Splitting the dh would mean taco bell, and losing both meant going hungry.

Even now, I can get two weeks worth of lunches out of a batch of venison Meat Balls and Speghitti, or smoking a brisket along with lots of corn on the cob and BBQ beans. Lunch at my work costs about $8, and I try to avoid spending hard earned $$$ in the cafeteria or eating out.

luvmylabs23139
09-20-2009, 01:24 PM
amazing....a story about foodstamps in our local Fairbanks paper...unfortunately it has nothing to do with the wasteful spending by people on food stamps....

http://www.newsminer.com/news/2009/sep/19/alaska-legislators-volunteers-try-live-food-stamps/

What the heck were these guys eating before? How much of that was eating out?
$50 for one person. If I had to eat all the food that I could buy for $50 using my normal grocery shopping habits I would not loose weight I would gain because it would be way too much food.
I shop on sale and use my freezer so we get variety.
This week on sale a few examples:
Turkey breast $.99 lb
Ham(butt cut ) $.99 lb
eggs $.99 doz large grade A
boneless pork loin $1.49 lb I cut up into raost and pork chops
Eye of Round roast beef $2.00 lb
Frozen veggies 1lb bag $.99

Gerry Clinchy
09-20-2009, 04:28 PM
LOL! forgot to note that the 40-something bachelor probably didn't use his food dollars as effectively as you did, luvmylabs. Why eat hot dogs for breakfast?! Cereal is not that expensive!

Juli H
09-20-2009, 04:59 PM
What the heck were these guys eating before? How much of that was eating out?
$50 for one person. If I had to eat all the food that I could buy for $50 using my normal grocery shopping habits I would not loose weight I would gain because it would be way too much food.
I shop on sale and use my freezer so we get variety.
This week on sale a few examples:
Turkey breast $.99 lb
Ham(butt cut ) $.99 lb
eggs $.99 doz large grade A
boneless pork loin $1.49 lb I cut up into raost and pork chops
Eye of Round roast beef $2.00 lb
Frozen veggies 1lb bag $.99

that is where you live...I will take your list to the store and give you our prices...

turkey breast is gonna be at LEAST 3.50/lb, ham maybe a little less....

Juli

luvmylabs23139
09-20-2009, 06:14 PM
These were the sale prices for the week. I always buy meats on sale and stock the freezer.

luvmylabs23139
09-20-2009, 06:33 PM
LOL! forgot to note that the 40-something bachelor probably didn't use his food dollars as effectively as you did, luvmylabs. Why eat hot dogs for breakfast?! Cereal is not that expensive!

That's my point. This guy is saying it's hard to eat on $50 a week.
Many of us do it for less than that and we are NOT using taxpayers money.:rolleyes:
we are also not eating crap.

ducknwork
09-21-2009, 08:57 AM
These were the sale prices for the week. I always buy meats on sale and stock the freezer.

We do also. We will buy whole pork loins for 1.39/lb and have the butcher make us 2 roasts, and the rest pork chops. We normally get 5-7 meals (not including leftovers) for about 15 bucks. We buy 5 or 6 chickens when they go on sale for .59 or .69/lb.

Fill the freezer on good sale weeks and eat out of it on bad paycheck weeks.
________
Kartess (http://www.girlcamfriend.com/cam/Kartess/)

ducknwork
09-21-2009, 09:04 AM

3.50 gal milk (2%) 2.99 normally, 1.97 on sale every 3-4 weeks
3.50 doz eggs 1-1.50 depending on sale week
8-9.00 two lb cheese (unless on sale) Probably about 7-8.00
2.50 -3.00/lb apples, oranges 1.50-2.00, less if on sale
1.00/lb bananas about the same
1.00/ear of corn .25-.33 each in season
2.80/lb ground beef ( I think, we have wild game) normally 3-5.00/lb, but we never pay full price always get it on sale for less than 2.25
1.99-2.50 lb for whole chickens .59-.89 on sale
1.99 - 2.50 loaf of bread 1.25 store brand, name brand up to 3.00

I am glad I don't have to pay AK prices! I think I could still eat well for $50 a week for just me, though.
________
VAPORIZER VOLCANO (http://volcanovaporizer.net/)

Terry Britton
09-21-2009, 09:07 AM
Don't forget a 10lb bag of potatos will cost $4 to $5, and will have plenty of Carbs, and nearly all the viatamins a person needs. Solid old world staples can provide nutrients while stretching the food budget, especially when added to other nutrients with protein (meats). It would also help both on budget and health to realize what a serving of beef really is rather than eating 4 or 8 servings of meat at a setting.

ducknwork
09-21-2009, 09:08 AM
Here are some local sale papers.

Harris teeter is expensive, but sometimes they have good sales, and they double or triple your coupons.
http://flyer.harristeeter.com/HT_eVIC/ThisWeek/index.jsp?ID8592

We rarely get much at Food lion.
http://foodlion.mywebgrocer.com/CircularMain.aspx?s=58545568&g=933a3637-8c26-45a9-9c5e-19c0eb3e2bf0&uc=7B35461&st=02911980

We normally get the bulk of our groceries at WalMart and Piggly Wiggly, but neither of them have online sale papers.
________
GM FOODS (http://gmfoods.info/)

Juli H
09-22-2009, 04:09 PM
My $50 meal plan for a week

I went to the store and (w/out making a menu) picked up $50 worth of groceries...

loaf of bread - $2.65
gal milk - 3.65
doz eggs - 2.59 (even tho we have our own chickens)
can generic refried beans - 1.85
2 can flavorite chili beans - 1.59 ea
can diced tomatoes - 1.29
can kidney beans - 1.19
smuckers jelly - 3.69 (considered not buying this) - cheapest there was and small container... but 15 servings
2 cans tuna (generic) on sale .99/can
x-lean ground beef - about one lb, 3.05 (2.99/lb) (even tho we have wild game)
8 oz cheddar cheese - 2.79
one doz tortillas - 2.99
2 lb carrots - 2.99
celery bunch - 3.38 (yikes)
4 nectarines - 1.99/lb, 3.28
one yellow onion - 1.49/lb, 1.30
3 potatoes - 1.49/lb -2.26
chili seasoning - 1.25

total $48.64

I figure I can make meatless chili or with just a little ground beef, to last for 4-5 meals
egg burritos, egg sandwhiches, french toast for breakfast
tuna sandwhiches, jelly sandwhiches, or bean and cheese burritos for lunch, with nectarines, celery, or carrots

hamburger stew for other meals, when the chili runs out...LOL

milk for two meals a day, water the rest of the time......

I did not include buying condiments, such as mayo and mustard, seasonings, as most people have these on hand anyway....

I imagine if I could have gone to a bigger store (like in Fairbanks or Wasilla/Anchorage) I could have gotten the food even cheaper...

will see how it goes, and if I run out of food, or loose weight (which wouldn't hurt my feelings...LOL)

Juli

Juli H
09-22-2009, 04:19 PM
Just wanted to add.... I was talking to a fellow employee of the store about the food stamp/welfare problems.... He has been working at the store for several yrs now and has a very good grasp of the 'welfare' situation here in Tok....

He made one comment which really made me realize what a major problem the 'entitlement' mentality is (at least here)....
"I have had people come in the store and tell me they moved to Tok specifically because they knew they would not be able to find a job."

In other words, people have moved here so that they can take complete advantage of the welfare system....

scary.

Juli

dnf777
09-22-2009, 04:32 PM
I've heard unsubstantiated rumors that Venango Co., Pa is nationally known for it's ease of welfare qualification and numerous other state assistance programs. We have patients from all over, and when I ask how they found work here, the answer is, "I didn't".

I have this crazy notion that adults tend to move in order to find work or advance in one's work. Not just pack up the wagon for the hell of it, or to head to greener welfare fields. Live and learn, I guess.

ducknwork
09-22-2009, 04:41 PM
Should be interesting, Juli. You should go back and pick up some taco seasoning. You have everything else for a taco dinner...

I was looking over the prices that you paid and some of them are just outrageous! I guess that is just part of life if you live in Alaska, though. Do recipients get $50 regardless of location or is it prorated by cost of living?
________
Iolite not staying lit (http://vaporizerinfo.com/)

luvmylabs23139
09-22-2009, 05:01 PM
After much searching the maximum monthly benefit in NC for 1 person is $200 per month.
2 $367
3 $526
4 $668

This doesn't include WIC benefits.

T. Mac
09-22-2009, 05:03 PM
I've heard unsubstantiated rumors that Venango Co., Pa is nationally known for it's ease of welfare qualification and numerous other state assistance programs. We have patients from all over, and when I ask how they found work here, the answer is, "I didn't".

I have this crazy notion that adults tend to move in order to find work or advance in one's work. Not just pack up the wagon for the hell of it, or to head to greener welfare fields. Live and learn, I guess.

I manage several apartments here in Sacramento, CA. It is amazing the number of "welfare" programs that are out there. I just had a single mom with 3 kids apply for an apartment. She had just moved here from Las Vegas. And had already contacted the different welfare programs and had guarantees for her first months rent, and security deposit. Not to mention the exact amount of SSI/AFDC that she would get (apparently CA pays more than most states). Had another young gal apply who had a student grant as well as SSI, but when asked what school she was going to, stated she hadn't applied yet. The state also has assisted living. But from my vantage point this is being badly abused. Had one young lady who was getting paid to assist her boy friend with whom she was living. Another was getting paid to assist her father. (I don't mind the concept of assisted living, but I think paying individuals to take care of family is a huge conflict of interest).

My wife is an assistant principal at an adult high school. She says it is amazing how many students come in and register for school, but once they get their id cards (needed for cal-works grants) are not heard from again.

My mother used to teach home ec. to junior high kids. Her school was in one of the poorer parts of town. One of the first eye raising things she learned was how early the young girls learned about how much they could get by having a baby and how it could be a ticket out of their homes and away from the control of their parents.

ducknwork
09-22-2009, 09:52 PM
After much searching the maximum monthly benefit in NC for 1 person is $200 per month.
2 $367
3 $526
4 $668

This doesn't include WIC benefits.

WOW! We don't spend anywhere near that much for the 4 of us. I would be eating steak and shrimp every night if I could spend that much.
________
Host And Design (http://hostndesign.com)

luvmylabs23139
09-23-2009, 10:07 AM
Julie,
I'll try as best i can to take the challenge. Hubby flies home tonight and will be working from home next week so I will start in the morning and only shop based on this weeks grocery ads that came out today.
2 people = 92.75 for a week. He would never go for this so I will have to adjust for any snacks that are already in the house. He will never notice his meals being in an experiment.

luvmylabs23139
09-23-2009, 10:24 AM
WOW! We don't spend anywhere near that much for the 4 of us. I would be eating steak and shrimp every night if I could spend that much.
Yeah, new grocery ad , gulf shrimp 21-25 count is 3.99 per lb. (Lowe's).
Shrimp is on the menu, it's cheaper than lean ground beef. The freezer will be stocked.

Juli H
09-23-2009, 11:35 AM
Shrimp! that's not fair.... LOL!

let me know how it goes for you...I would like to try doing the whole family on the foodstamp diet, but I don't think they would go for it.... LOL

Juli

luvmylabs23139
09-23-2009, 11:49 AM
Shrimp! that's not fair.... LOL!

let me know how it goes for you...I would like to try doing the whole family on the foodstamp diet, but I don't think they would go for it.... LOL

Juli
This may be a really easy week. Turkey on sale $.79 per lb. Hubby loves turkey.
Chicken drumsticks $.87 per lb. Thighs $.77 per lb
boneless chicken breast $1.88 per lb
5 lbs potaoes = .99 with e-vic card
apples .99 per lb
boston butt prok roast .99lb
ground beef 1.68 lb.
canned veggies 5/$3 = $.60 per can
loaf of bread store brand $.79
milk gallon $1.99
frozen veggies 2 lb bag for $1.88

ducknwork
09-23-2009, 12:12 PM
You'll be eating like a king!

Juli, I wish I could try the whole family on the food stamp diet too. But, with the amounts that luv posted earlier, I couldn't afford to!:( How is it that I work for a living and don't have as much money to spend on groceries as someone who just collects a govt check?:-x
________
STARCRAF 2 REPLAY (http://screplays.com/replays)

Juli H
09-23-2009, 12:23 PM
I think the same could be same for many people/families across the US...unfortunately.

Juli

Gerry Clinchy
09-23-2009, 12:26 PM
In some fairness to those who get food stamps, some of them won't have a big freezer to stock with this week's bargains, but most should have a fridge with some freezer capacity to save some from one week to the next.

Do they get their debit card "re-filled" weekly? or 2X month? Probably would be a bad idea to issue the $ monthly.

luvmylabs23139
09-23-2009, 02:59 PM
In some fairness to those who get food stamps, some of them won't have a big freezer to stock with this week's bargains, but most should have a fridge with some freezer capacity to save some from one week to the next.

Do they get their debit card "re-filled" weekly? or 2X month? Probably would be a bad idea to issue the $ monthly.

In NC it goes by the month. In a way its good because you can shop the sales better.

luvmylabs23139
09-23-2009, 04:14 PM
Add hubby's ice cream to the list. Breyer's is on sale for$ 2.61. Buy one get one free each will be charged at 1/2 price. He will never notice that he is on the food stamp budget.

luvmylabs23139
09-23-2009, 04:19 PM
You'll be eating like a king!

Juli, I wish I could try the whole family on the food stamp diet too. But, with the amounts that luv posted earlier, I couldn't afford to!:( How is it that I work for a living and don't have as much money to spend on groceries as someone who just collects a govt check?:-x

We never spend this much on groceries!
I'm just gonna use sales and not count coupons. I will still use them but back out the savings.