PDA

View Full Version : Obama "Shredding the Constitution"

AmiableLabs
09-25-2009, 10:07 PM
Or at least that is of what the left accused Dubya for the same thing --

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/obama-supports-extending-patriot-act/story?id=8582891

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090915/ap_on_go_ca_st_pe/us_patriot_act

YardleyLabs
09-26-2009, 06:41 AM
Or at least that is of what the left accused Dubya for the same thing --

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/obama-supports-extending-patriot-act/story?id=8582891

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090915/ap_on_go_ca_st_pe/us_patriot_act

Not true. Not according to its original critics in the House and Senate. They standby their original claims that it was and remains a violation of civil liberties. What was finally hammered out was between more moderate Democrats along with Republicans and the White House, and according to the original critics is merely window-dressing.

The government is still allowed to listen to phone calls with retroactive warrants just like before.

And so there is no confusion, I support the Patriot Act. I just don't support duplicitous politics.

So when did reauthorizing what you previously supported become a "shredding of the Constitution"?

Obama has always made it clear that he was not prepared to simply walk away from the Patriot Act but would not support warrantless activities or actions that undermined due process. My biggest complaint about the business records authority is the ability of the government to prohibit the organization that is subject to records disclosure from telling anyone what happened. The provision allowing phone tapping to move from phone to phone as the individual targeted changes phones is important and does require a special warrant.

Hew
09-26-2009, 07:20 AM
So when did reauthorizing what you previously supported become a "shredding of the Constitution"?
All that tear gas you breathed in at the G20 must have temporarily put your sarcasm detector on the fritz. ;)

YardleyLabs
09-26-2009, 07:27 AM
All that tear gas you breathed in at the G20 must have temporarily put your sarcasm detector on the fritz. ;)
Quite possibly. But I haven't had to breath tear gas since 1969 in front of the Justice Department in Washington.;-)

Gerry Clinchy
09-26-2009, 07:28 AM

I believe that Kevin's "title" was reflecting the original objections to The Patriot Act, not his own view of that legislation.

This latest "news" is about, it appears, only the provisions of the legislation that had an expiration date.

Maybe the "real" news is that there is some agreement between the present administration and the previous one?

Evidently, there are others as well. Gates has been retained in the position he was put in by the previous administration, for example.

Bob Gutermuth
09-26-2009, 08:29 AM
Wait until those leftist nutjob czars like Cass Sunstein and the FCC diversity czar get rolling. We won't be able to hunt and the broadcast media will be totally govt run. Jefferson Madison et al must be rolling in their graves.

road kill
09-26-2009, 09:47 AM
So when did reauthorizing what you previously supported become a "shredding of the Constitution"?Obama has always made it clear that he was not prepared to simply walk away from the Patriot Act but would not support warrantless activities or actions that undermined due process. My biggest complaint about the business records authority is the ability of the government to prohibit the organization that is subject to records disclosure from telling anyone what happened. The provision allowing phone tapping to move from phone to phone as the individual targeted changes phones is important and does require a special warrant.

Again, BUSH IS NOT PRESIDENT!!

If it was wrong then, how is it right now???

Geez Jeff, pick a stand and stick with it!!:D

AmiableLabs
09-26-2009, 10:44 AM
Did you not read the first sentence of my post? :roll:

It is the left that said Dubya was "shredding the Constitution."

I still support the Patriot Act. I don't support the left's duplicity.