PDA

View Full Version : Obama "Shredding the Constitution" Take 2!

AmiableLabs
09-26-2009, 10:48 AM
Or at least that is what the left accused Dubya of when he claimed the power to detain prisoners indefinately --

http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalpunch/2009/09/president-obama-reaffirms-power-of-indefinite-detention-will-not-seek-additional-congressional-powers.html

YardleyLabs
09-26-2009, 11:35 AM
I actually see no justification for indefinite detention except in the Constitutionally restricted context of suspending habeas corpus in case of invasion or insurrection. I believe anything else undermines the most fundamental rights of due process on which our justice system is founded. We have not been invaded and we are not facing an insurrection. Hopefully the courts will reject the administration's position on this.

dnf777
09-26-2009, 11:46 AM
It was wrong under Bush, it is wrong under Obama.
I was upset then, I'm upset now.
Are you? Or is it just political points?

AmiableLabs
09-26-2009, 12:14 PM
I was upset then, I'm upset now.
Are you? Or is it just political points?
Neither -- I agree with the policy!

[Foreign-born terrorists are not entitled to US Constitutional protections; POWs that violated the Geneva accords (ie. not wearing uniforms, targeting innocent civilians, etc.) are not entitled to protections from the Geneva Conventions. So throw away the keys. They made their own beds, let them lay in them.]

But I do want to see if those on the left are equally upset when their Dear Leader does precisely the same thing as that evil devil George W. Bush! And that is the purpose of these threads.