PDA

View Full Version : Obama drums up support for Chicago Olympic bid

Richard Halstead
09-28-2009, 10:20 AM
http://www.twincities.com/olympics/ci_13349040

Why do we need to send the President to get the Olympics for Chicago?
Is Chicago paying the travel costs for Air Force one and supporting flights?

ducknwork
09-28-2009, 10:40 AM
Why do we need to send the President to get the Olympics for Chicago?

We're not...

The International Olympic Committee will choose a host city during an Oct. 2 meeting in Copenhagen. Obama will not attend the meetings, instead sending first lady Michelle Obama to lead the U.S. delegation.

But seriously, don't we have nicer cities than Chicago?:confused:
________
Sick From Prilosec (http://www.classactionsettlements.org/lawsuit/prilosec/)

Buzz
09-28-2009, 10:56 AM
We're not...

Have you been to Chicago? I think it's a nice city.

ducknwork
09-28-2009, 11:04 AM
I admit that I have not, but I haven't heard a whole lot of good about it.

You know what assuming does...
________
HOT BOX VAPORIZERS (http://hotboxvaporizers.com)

Richard Halstead
09-28-2009, 11:33 AM
Have you been to Chicago? I think it's a nice city.

Where do you go in Chicago the loop?
The lakefront near the Shed Aquarium?
International Live Stock Exposition by the old stock yards?

I agree there are nice areas, but theree are some areas that Iwouldn't want to live.

Raymond Little
09-28-2009, 11:45 AM

I agree there are nice areas, but theree are some areas that Iwouldn't want to live.
Heard there was a nice brown stone next to Bill Ayers and Bernadette Dornan.

Hope and Change Regards;)

Bob Gutermuth
09-28-2009, 12:10 PM
Its another way for Osama and his crooked Chicago buddies to make money for themselves.

dnf777
09-28-2009, 12:31 PM
Nice town. I hope they get it.
"Devil in the White City" by Erik Larson is history mixed with a murder mystery. Fun read, and lots of accurate Chi-town history. Of course, it took a Pittsburgher to build their Ferris wheel to out-do Paris' Eiffel Tower! ;-)

Julie R.
09-28-2009, 12:46 PM
Actually, the livestock yard would be a good place for some Olympics, Chitcago style. I can see it now: Chitcago to host First Annual Politicians for Sale & Rent Olympics! Imagine all the crowd-pleasers that could be bought and sold: votes, Senate seats, White House czar slots, community organizer chairs, terrorist advisors, anti-U.S. agitators, stimulus money, the possibilities are endless. Maybe they could even auction off the 2012 U.S. presidency.

ducknwork
09-28-2009, 01:08 PM
Maybe they could even auction off the 2012 U.S. presidency.

Is that what we have to do to get a republican back in the White House?:-P
Or will the messiah give a government check to his constituents so they can pay for the candidate of their choice?
________
Vapir oxygen rechargeable vaporizers (http://vaporizer.org)

Richard Halstead
09-28-2009, 02:38 PM
We're not...

News brief by robert Gibbs just said they are both Michelle and Barrack will accompany Oprah and others will try to get the IOC to choose Chicago.

Buzz
09-28-2009, 02:47 PM

I spent a lot of time Downtown and along the lakefront. I used to represent Siemens on NEMA and IEC standards committees. We had meetings every couple of months and I would spend a week on each trip. We used to fill a car with engineers from member companies and head out to do something on the town. Some of the best ethnic food I've ever eaten, and some of the best blues I've seen/heard anywhere. Sure there are terrible areas in Chicago where you wouldn't want to be during the day, let alone after dark. But any city of that size is going to have that. I used to travel as a service engineer back in my younger days. I've been to almost every state and most major cities in the US. I happen to like Chicago...:D If you can overlook the traffic that is!

Raymond Little
09-28-2009, 03:23 PM
News brief by robert Gibbs just said they are both Michelle and Barrack will accompany Oprah and others will try to get the IOC to choose Chicago.

Not much of a stretch from Community Organizer to Olympic Organizer.:rolleyes:
I personally believe the Olympics are an extreme waste of money and potential green area. While in Atlanta this summer I was able to see some of the Olympic venues, what a tremdous waste of money. Million dollar tennis courts that have not see a racket since the games and the county is taking bids to demolish.:confused:

road kill
09-28-2009, 04:30 PM
http://www.drudgereport.com/flashocc.htm

road kill
09-28-2009, 04:31 PM

HMMMMMM.......must be some cash in this for someone!!:D

luvmylabs23139
09-28-2009, 05:31 PM
We're not...

BUMMA is going. It was anouced this morning. He needs to go because King Daily demands it.

kjrice
09-28-2009, 05:33 PM
It should be interesting to see how they will pull off the associated traffic.

Richard Halstead
09-28-2009, 07:22 PM
Some guys in Ely Minnesota are also making an effort to become the site of the 2016 Olympics they have a logo of a torch with a stilised flame in the colors of the autumn follage. Another program to draw sight seerers to that area.

Raymond Little
09-28-2009, 08:02 PM

HMMMMMM.......must be some cash in this for someone!!:D

Rezco,Rezco, Rezco

Hew
09-28-2009, 11:14 PM
We used to fill a car with engineers from member companies and head out to do something on the town.
Nothing says "fun" quite like a car full of zany and footloose mechanical engineers out for a night on the town. "Taxi driver, let's turn this mutha out...take us to the three highest buildings in Chi-town so we can sample their sweet conditioned air with our own noses. Wooohooo!!! :D;-):D

ducknwork
09-29-2009, 06:09 AM

My bad. Just going by the article you posted...
________
TOYOTA SPORTIVO COUPE SPECIFICATIONS (http://www.toyota-wiki.com/wiki/Toyota_Sportivo_Coupe)

Buzz
09-29-2009, 08:14 AM
Nothing says "fun" quite like a car full of zany and footloose mechanical engineers out for a night on the town. :D;-):D

We were mostly electrical guys. Most people probably wouldn't find the conversation that interesting, but compared to reading and writing standards - pretty zany stuff. Some great entertainment to be found, and plenty of early morning headaches.:cool:

Julie R.
09-29-2009, 09:06 AM
Does anyone else besides me think it's apalling that with the economy still in shambles and getting worse, our measure abroad amongst our former allies tumbling daily, Iran getting ready to nuke Israel off the face of the earth, our dear leader feels it necessary to spend billions of OUR money to pimp Chitcago for the Olympics? I'd like to see an accounting of what this trip will cost. Let's not forget the First Lady probably travels with at least half her staff, probably at a cost approaching the GDP of a medium-sized nation....

Gerry Clinchy
09-29-2009, 10:06 AM
Does anyone else besides me think it's apalling that with the economy still in shambles and getting worse, our measure abroad amongst our former allies tumbling daily, Iran getting ready to nuke Israel off the face of the earth, our dear leader feels it necessary to spend billions of OUR money to pimp Chitcago for the Olympics? I'd like to see an accounting of what this trip will cost. Let's not forget the First Lady probably travels with at least half her staff, probably at a cost approaching the GDP of a medium-sized nation....

Yup.
-------------

WaterDogRem
09-29-2009, 12:03 PM

Oh yeah.

Guess this is one of the country's more pressing issues, he was talking about when he didn't know acorn was recieving millions of federal dollars.

luvmylabs23139
09-29-2009, 01:05 PM

King Daley demands he goes and he owes Daley so he goes.

Bob Gutermuth
09-29-2009, 01:27 PM
The eunuch in the White House is fighting two wars, the economy is in a shambles, healthcare reform is a hot button issue and he has time to galavant off to Europe on the taxpayers dime to try and procure the Olympics for his home town. On the good side, if it is a CF, he will be out of office in 2012 so he won't get any blame.

Richard Halstead
09-29-2009, 01:39 PM
The proposed location will be located south of the Chicago downtown near the Sodiers Stadium with the Olympic Village and a stadium inthe area for 80,000. The marina and North Island will be converted into a water venue.

Bob Gutermuth
09-29-2009, 01:42 PM
They will deface Soldier Field by allowing soccer on it.

Buzz
09-29-2009, 03:35 PM
They will deface Soldier Field by allowing soccer on it.

Bob, you finally came up with something we can agree on.:D

code3retrievers
09-29-2009, 06:35 PM
This may shed some light on who may profit and why Obama is getting directly involved.

http://townhall.com/blog/g/3847a38b-1202-4645-a8ad-98ca26743c86