PDA

View Full Version : Republicans ask for apology

cotts135
10-01-2009, 06:03 AM
Congressman Alan Grayson Democrat of Florida spoke on the House floor Tuesday about Health care and it seems his speech offended some Republicans and now they want an apology. I will agree that the speech used inflammatory rhetoric but how do the Republicans make the leap that what Grayson did is the same thing that Congressman Wilson did to the President when he yelled out"you lie". This is a false equivalency that is absurd.
The Republicans need to look no further than speeches given by there own members.

Ginny Brown-Waite (R-Fla.), who said in July: "Last week, Democrats released a health care bill which essentially said to America's seniors: drop dead."

Or Rep. Paul Broun (R-Ga.),who is a doctor, and said on the House floor
"it's going to kill people"

Or this gem from Virginia Foxx (R-N.C.) who said "make sure we bring down the cost of health care for all Americans and that ensures affordable access for all Americans and is pro-life because it will not put seniors in a position of being put to death by their government."

ducknwork
10-01-2009, 06:26 AM
What did Grayson say? Surely you can quote him as well...
________
Vaporizer Review (http://vaporizers.tv/)

Evan
10-01-2009, 06:35 AM
Rep. Alan Grayson (D-Fla.) warned Americans that "Republicans want you to die quickly" during an after-hours House floor speech Tuesday night.

His remarks, which drew angry and immediate calls for an apology from Republicans, were highlighted by a sign reading "The Republican Health Care (http://topics.politico.com/index.cfm/topic/HealthCarereform) Plan: Die Quickly."

Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0909/27726.html#ixzz0SgtjpHLt (http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0909/27726.html#ixzz0SgtjpHLt)

This is, of course, only a portion of his outlandish and baseless claim.

Evan

Hew
10-01-2009, 06:44 AM
Enjoy my Congressman while you can. His 15 minutes of fame will be up in 2010. He is a serious POS who rode anti-GOP sentiment to victory last year in a largely GOP-leaning district.

cotts135
10-01-2009, 07:15 AM
Enjoy my Congressman while you can. His 15 minutes of fame will be up in 2010. He is a serious POS who rode anti-GOP sentiment to victory last year in a largely GOP-leaning district.

That may be true, but he has something most democrats lack and that is a backbone. He stands for what he believes in and is unapologetic about it.

Evan
10-01-2009, 07:24 AM
That may be true, but he has something most democrats lack and that is a backbone. He stands for what he believes in and is apologetic about it.If "backbone" = arogance then "yes", he has that in abundance. He lacks sufficient character to apologize for openly lying before congress about the intent of his colleagues. Rather than argue his case on the basis of comparative merit, he's contrived accusations with no basis in fact. But, if carrying the party line means more than fact or honor, by all means lionize him.

Evan

road kill
10-01-2009, 07:50 AM
It's kind of funny.......when ever the "secular progressives" get pinned they respond with:

"But he started it first!!!":monkey:
(imagine a whiney voice)

As though that makes it all OK!!

cotts135
10-01-2009, 07:54 AM
If "backbone" = arogance then "yes", he has that in abundance. He lacks sufficient character to apologize for openly lying before congress about the intent of his colleagues. Rather than argue his case on the basis of comparative merit, he's contrived accusations with no basis in fact. But, if carrying the party line means more than fact or honor, by all means lionize him.

Evan
What he has done in my opinion is to take an argument and define it in it's extreme. There is nothing new with this most politicians do this all the time. Most times it is simply not true or in real life it never get's to that point. It is the suggestion itself that holds the real power. I know I don't believe that Republicans just want us to die quickly if we get sick and I think most rational adults feel the same way.
If you feel he should apologize for his statements then I would think you would feel the same way about Representatives Waite, Broun, and Foxx.

dnf777
10-01-2009, 08:19 AM
This is just tit-for-tat. Death panels....death plans....its all the same. Goose and Gander phenomena. Not worth getting your panties in a bunch!

YardleyLabs
10-01-2009, 08:22 AM
I believe his comments are as accurate as Republican portrayals of HR 3200 as a plan including death panels and euthanasia counseling and equally helpful to rational debate. They are also as accurate as those who claim that universal coverage will lead to rationing without recognizing that rationing based on coverage is exactly what we have now. His comments certainly don't warrant an apology unless all those who have spoken of death panels are going to join him in the chorus of mea culpas.

Gerry Clinchy
10-01-2009, 08:22 AM
I heard the audio of Grayson on radio. It was a ranting ... loud & empassioned. Like somebody on the campaign trail. I think that tone had at least something to do with the reaction.

I remember something about: don't get sick, but if you do get sick then die quickly.

However, it was pointed out that until now Ds have not admitted that the Rs have even presented any plans ... that they have just said "no" to what Ds have proposed. So, this was the first acknowledgment that the Rs have actually presented options. However, it seems that the media have not informed us of what those options might be? They might be worthless, but it would still be nice to know something about them.

My sense is that it is not all that uncommon for members of Congress to throw insults around at each other in the hallowed halls. If all had to apologize, they might have even less time to devote to true business of lawmaking. Grayson must have been beyond the norm for an apology to be demanded?

The Rs supported having Wilson formally apologize. While I do NOT disagree that being rude to a Pres is unacceptable and boorish, I'm still scratching my head over the fact that if you can get a large enough bunch together (so you can't identify an individual), it is okay to be rude enough to loudly boo a Pres. & have nobody blink at that. Mob rule? Isn't that what lynch mobs are all about?

TXduckdog
10-01-2009, 08:43 AM
Yes, but Jeff.....it wasn't put on charts for all the world to see, including the Congrssional Record.

Buzz
10-01-2009, 08:46 AM
Yes, but Jeff.....it wasn't put on charts for all the world to see, including the Congrssional Record.

I believe it is on the congressional record. I'll try and remember the congresswoman's name so I can look it up.

Pete
10-01-2009, 08:53 AM
Times have changed or has anyone noticed. Polititians are no longer just rich,lying ,little scum bags trying to line their own pockets.
They have developed over the years into "benjeman buttons" and are in there last phases of life,,,behaving like juvinals,,,without a thread of common sense or compasion. No more decended testicals,,,they have scriveled beyond recognition. Neither party need to apologize

Most of them are acting like spoiled brats
They need to be spanked and their dipers need to be changed.

Pete

dnf777
10-01-2009, 09:05 AM
I heard the audio of Grayson on radio. It was a ranting ... loud & empassioned. Like somebody on the campaign trail. I think that tone had at least something to do with the reaction.

I remember something about: don't get sick, but if you do get sick then die quickly.

However, it was pointed out that until now Ds have not admitted that the Rs have even presented any plans ... that they have just said "no" to what Ds have proposed. So, this was the first acknowledgment that the Rs have actually presented options. However, it seems that the media have not informed us of what those options might be? They might be worthless, but it would still be nice to know something about them.

My sense is that it is not all that uncommon for members of Congress to throw insults around at each other in the hallowed halls. If all had to apologize, they might have even less time to devote to true business of lawmaking. Grayson must have been beyond the norm for an apology to be demanded?

The Rs supported having Wilson formally apologize. While I do NOT disagree that being rude to a Pres is unacceptable and boorish, I'm still scratching my head over the fact that if you can get a large enough bunch together (so you can't identify an individual), it is okay to be rude enough to loudly boo a Pres. & have nobody blink at that. Mob rule? Isn't that what lynch mobs are all about?

No one is stifling repubicans. Boehner, McCain, and all the rest have ample public forum to present a plan. They have not presented anything except that brief, no-numbers, proposal of a plan. I think that is making it harder for them to make their case AGAINST the current plans. I'm sure they have many objections to the current proposals, as do I, but it may be a good starting point to hammer out a bipartisan bill???

Buzz
10-01-2009, 10:09 AM
An interesting take on Grayson:

http://trueslant.com/matttaibbi/2009/09/25/have-the-federal-reserve-or-prime-brokers-ever-tried-to-manipulate-the-stock-market/

road kill
10-01-2009, 12:36 PM
Rep. Alan Grayson (D-Fla.) warned Americans that "Republicans want you to die quickly" during an after-hours House floor speech Tuesday night.

His remarks, which drew angry and immediate calls for an apology from Republicans, were highlighted by a sign reading "The Republican Health Care (http://topics.politico.com/index.cfm/topic/HealthCarereform) Plan: Die Quickly."

Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0909/27726.html#ixzz0SgtjpHLt (http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0909/27726.html#ixzz0SgtjpHLt)

This is, of course, only a portion of his outlandish and baseless claim.

Evan

The big difference here is the Democrats (secular progressives) want you do die early, very early, before your even born!!:D

dnf777
10-01-2009, 12:45 PM
The big difference here is the Democrats (secular progressives) want you do die early, very early, before your even born!!:D

The facts speak otherwise. I can't vouch for this Christian website, but the sources that tables were derived from are reliable and verifiable.

There are lots of paradoxes between stated beliefs and actual behavior when broken down by states. The most liberal states behave much more in line with conservative principles, and vice-versa. This is one example.

As for abortions, all I'll say is, I'll never get one! :rolleyes:

Buzz
10-01-2009, 02:49 PM
I can't vouch for this Christian website, but the sources that tables were derived from are reliable and verifiable.

Did you mean to include a link? I'd like to take a look.

Thx...

Hew
10-01-2009, 05:24 PM
That may be true, but he has something most democrats lack and that is a backbone. He stands for what he believes in and is unapologetic about it.
I dunno about that. He and ACORN had been sticking their tongues down each other's throats for a few years...right up until ACORN's recent, ahem, troubles. It got a little too hot in the kitchen for Grayson (which will happen when you're an uber-liberal democrat fish-out-of-water in a right-leaning district) and he did the politically expedient thing and cut his pals at ACORN loose in the vote to defund them. An iron will and backbone to match? Umm, yeah...not so much.

dnf777
10-01-2009, 05:43 PM
Did you mean to include a link? I'd like to take a look.

Thx...

http://www.publicchristian.com/?p=734

Hew
10-02-2009, 01:41 AM
http://www.publicchristian.com/?p=734

That's the danger of believing an un-sourced blog. His abortion statistics are pure fantasy. Per the 2005 CDC abortion statistics, the states with the highest rates of abortion are: Connecticut, Delaware, Massachusetts, Nevada, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, Rhode Island, Virginia and Washington. See table 3 at: http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/ss5713a1.htm? (http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/ss5713a1.htm?)

I took the liberty of highlighting the Blue states. ;-)

Bruce MacPherson
10-02-2009, 03:19 AM
Congressman Alan Grayson Democrat of Florida spoke on the House floor Tuesday about Health care and it seems his speech offended some Republicans and now they want an apology. I will agree that the speech used inflammatory rhetoric but how do the Republicans make the leap that what Grayson did is the same thing that Congressman Wilson did to the President when he yelled out"you lie". This is a false equivalency that is absurd.
The Republicans need to look no further than speeches given by there own members.

Ginny Brown-Waite (R-Fla.), who said in July: "Last week, Democrats released a health care bill which essentially said to America's seniors: drop dead."

Or Rep. Paul Broun (R-Ga.),who is a doctor, and said on the House floor
"it's going to kill people"

Or this gem from Virginia Foxx (R-N.C.) who said "make sure we bring down the cost of health care for all Americans and that ensures affordable access for all Americans and is pro-life because it will not put seniors in a position of being put to death by their government."

I agree, no apologies. In fact if I had my way the guy would get tons of airtime. He is the consummate representative for the Democrat party.