PDA

View Full Version : So much for the Obama factor

Bruce MacPherson
10-02-2009, 11:37 AM
Apparently the star factor doesn't cut it with the IOC.

Blackstone
10-02-2009, 11:44 AM
I have seen the IOC do things I didn’t agree with. However, I have to agree with not letting a personal appearance by any president or leader influence their decision on where the Olympics will be held.

subroc
10-02-2009, 11:48 AM
Is there any corruption in the selection process? Is their any corruption in the whole preparation process? Would this have been a good thing for Chicago? Is it a good thing Chicago lost this bid?

BTW, does this weaken obama or is this a meaningless thing?

Henry V
10-02-2009, 11:52 AM
Would you rather go to Rio, Chicago, Madrid, or Tokyo?

If President Obama had not helped make the pitch for Chicago you all would have been criticizing him for failing to help out his home town.

Buzz
10-02-2009, 11:52 AM
I don't understand why it would have been such a bad thing for Chicago, and by extension the USA to get the Olympics. I would have loved to be able to take my daughter who will be 17 in 2016, and enjoy the games with her. Beyond the fact that Obama lives there and was trying to help bring the games to his city, what beef does the right have that is legit? It seems that to some, whatever Obama does is evil and going to destroy the fabric of America.

subroc
10-02-2009, 11:59 AM

If President Obama had not helped make the pitch for Chicago you all would have been criticizing him for failing to help out his home town.

no, I wouldn't have.

olympics and the planning of them are cesspools of corruption. let some other nations deal with it

Goose
10-02-2009, 12:02 PM
Have the riots started in Chicago? This has got to be racism!

TXduckdog
10-02-2009, 12:04 PM
Man I was really hoping Chicago would get it.

Although close to 50% of the natives are against it since Daly announced the city would pick up any over-runs.

Raymond Little
10-02-2009, 12:34 PM
Man I was really hoping Chicago would get it.

Although close to 50% of the natives are against it since Daly announced the city would pick up any over-runs.
Whos money would Daley have used to pay for the overrunns???:rolleyes:
City,county,state,nation has no money, it's the peoples money they
spend!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad:

Mike Noel
10-02-2009, 12:36 PM

Been to Chicago a hundred times....would rather go to Tokyo.;-)

Hew
10-02-2009, 12:40 PM
It's doubtful that Chicagoans would have had much of a tab to pick up as Obama's fellow Chicagoan and Consigliari, Valerie Jarrett, was already in the process of assuring that nearly a billion dollars of federal money would find its way into the right crook's....errr....Chicago Olympic official's hands.

Knocked out in the first round, no less. I bet Obama tore somebody's arse up for leading him to believe that Chicago actually had a prayer.

The person I really feel bad for is Michelle. The poor thing sacrificed so much flying to Copenhagen, too. Oh, the humanity of it all.

Blackstone
10-02-2009, 12:42 PM
Have the riots started in Chicago? This has got to be racism!

It sure didn’t take long for race to creep into the discussion!

Richard Halstead
10-02-2009, 01:26 PM
I don't understand why it would have been such a bad thing for Chicago, and by extension the USA to get the Olympics. I would have loved to be able to take my daughter who will be 17 in 2016, and enjoy the games with her. Beyond the fact that Obama lives there and was trying to help bring the games to his city, what beef does the right have that is legit? It seems that to some, whatever Obama does is evil and going to destroy the fabric of America.

Buzz,
I don't hate Obama, but do you ask questions when campain promises are not met? Do you wonder about the Chicago connection on the principle players?
Why are we considered evil because the opposite of what is promised, where is the promised transparency, The five days posting before voting on the bill,Why pass the stimulus bill with out the promised time, Why tryy to push through the health care before it can be read?

The biggest difference in the Chicago polotics, Al Capone, Barack Obama?
Obama does not wear a fedora hat else everything seems the same.

Richard Halstead
10-02-2009, 01:56 PM
I asked the same questions about George W. Bush and question motives as far as oil and Iraqu war. Especially when the comment was made about protecting our Oil. Being raised by two Depression era parents you are taught to be more conservative in spending. I always thought cutting taxes on small businesses could get the same effect with more employment than the stimulus bill.

BrianW
10-02-2009, 03:14 PM
1.I don't understand why it would have been such a bad thing for Chicago, and by extension the USA to get the Olympics.
2.I would have loved to be able to take my daughter who will be 17 in 2016, and enjoy the games with her.
3. Beyond the fact that Obama lives there and was trying to help bring the games to his city, what beef does the right have that is legit?
4. It seems that to some, whatever Obama does is evil and going to destroy the fabric of America.

1. You must have already forgotten the cost overruns and scandals that were occurring with the 2002 Olympics at Salt Lake City until Romney got involved. You really belive that Chicago, of all places, would be free of the corruption that plagues the Olympic process.
2. Why can't you take your daughter to Brazil and have her experience a d ifferent culture as well? You've got 7 years to save your money. Or don't you think that PBO's rising tide is going to float your boat too?
3. Beyond the hypocrisy that this whole Presidential sales pitch invloved? Do you think he would have gone to these lengths if South Dakota (or anywhere else in the USA) wanted to hold the Olympics?
No, because he wouldn't have vested interests there, they wouldn't have been able to do business "the Chicago way".
No other President has gone to bat like this for US city host bidding. Why did Michelle have to fly over there on her own w/ all her entourage in AF2 and PBO a day later in AF1? Because there was a boatload of money to be skimmed off for orgs like ACORN, SEIU & other Presidential investors. How much of your tax dollars were spent going to Copenhagen? Why couldn't this supposed "green" President have made a videoconference pitch with all his "star power" to the IOC and prevent all that carbon usage.

Because he's more interested in "doing" the Presidency than "being" the President.

4. Because no one seems to see the storm approaching. The numbers aren't there to support this spending binge that has been and is continuing to grow. People like you and me, our kids & grandkids are going to reap the whirlwind that has been sown, not the Obamas, Bushes, Clintons etc.
US!

dixidawg
10-02-2009, 03:26 PM
CNN was absolutely AGHAST at the decision:

http://www.freedomslighthouse.com/2009/10/cnn-achor-disbelieving-at-announcement.html

Bob Gutermuth
10-02-2009, 03:50 PM
Best news of the day, it means Osama's cronies won't have a chance to line their pockets buy selling land to the Olympic comm. It also means we the taxpayer won't be on the hook for the money lost by the games.

Osama should have stayed home and worked on America's real problems like the economy,the Iranian mess and Afghanistan. That would have saved American taxpayers money that was wasted on this junket.

gman0046
10-03-2009, 10:32 AM
Since when is Chicago Obongolo's home town??? The document I saw which he used for his free Harvard education said he was from Indonesia.

subroc
10-03-2009, 05:14 PM
It didn't take long. It is the fault of President George W Bush that obama failed to get the olympics for the city of Chicago.

Others of course do not blame the current president at all. In fact, Senator Roland Burris blamed the failure on former president George W. Bush. He believes that the eight years under Bush has caused the rest of the world to view the United States in a negative light. Well if Roland Burris says it then it must be the truth, right?

http://www.examiner.com/x-6996-Louisville-Economic-Policy-Examiner~y2009m10d2-How-about-that-Dream-Team

Gerry Clinchy
10-03-2009, 07:33 PM
Even the NY Times was critical of of O playing the role of pitchman.

Red retrievers
10-03-2009, 08:48 PM
Why did Michelle have to fly over there on her own w/ all her entourage in AF2 and PBO a day later in AF1?

Thats the best question. Why do the tax payers have to keep paying for all their little trips? We are already over taxed it may only be several hundred thousand fo reach one's trip but all these add up. I also believe that osma has to be on the tv, news, net, etc as often as he can. IMHO his adgenda is to be in front of the public and NOT running the country.:mad: Actually I think it is better the less ruining of the country he does.

Gerry Clinchy
10-03-2009, 09:02 PM
Actually I think it is better the less ruining of the country he does.

Congress seems to be doing enough of that all by themselves.

dixidawg
10-03-2009, 09:13 PM
Why the US didn't get the Olympics
From the National Review Online:

10. Dead people can’t vote at IOC meetings
9. Obama distracted by 25 min meeting with Gen. McChrystal
8. Who cares if Obama couldn’t talk the IOC into Chicago? He’ll be able to talk Iran out of nukes.
7. The impediment is Israel still building settlements.
6. Obviously no president would have been able to acomplish it.
5. We’ve been quite clear and said all along that we didn’t want the Olympics.
4. This isn’t about the number of Olympics “lost”, it’s about the number of Olympics “saved” or “created”.
3. Clearly not enough wise Latina judges on the committee
2. Because the IOC is racist.

and

1. It’s George Bush’s fault.

BonMallari
10-03-2009, 09:34 PM
11. he inherited the anti US sentiment from the IOC

12. ACORN was too busy helping prostitutes ( err independent entertainers)

13. vast Right wing conspiracy

14. really wanted his home country of Indonesia err Kenya err Hawaii to get it

Richard Halstead
10-03-2009, 10:03 PM
In WWII when my father was asked where he was from he replied near Chicago they always replied "gangster, gangster". Other countries new about the city.