PDA

View Full Version : The second best country in the world

ducknwork
10-06-2009, 06:59 AM
We often say and hear (no matter what is going on) that the United States is still the greatest country in the world. That got me thinking last night. Who is in second place and why?
________
Zoloft Lawsuit Settlements (http://www.classactionsettlements.org/lawsuit/zoloft/)

JDogger
10-06-2009, 07:04 AM
http://www.reuters.com/article/asiaCrisis/idUSSP457256

Bob Gutermuth
10-06-2009, 07:04 AM
Sadly, the US is slipping and will continue to decline until at least 2013 when Osama leaves office. We aren't Number 1 anymore.

Pete
10-06-2009, 08:31 AM
what is human developement? Schooling and indoctrination.
The people that do the surveying have to make themselves think their job is important somehow I guess.
Arent most of these type of people liberal therefore giving a liberal point of view.

I think anywhere you live and your happy to live there is the best place to live.

Pete

WRL
10-06-2009, 10:20 AM
Well, if we are not #1, why do we have such a HUGE illegal immigration problem? Does any other country have an issue this big? Are people "killing themselves" to get into France or any other country?

WRL

luvmylabs23139
10-06-2009, 10:30 AM
To be perfectly honest, I was born in a foreign country. While we moved here because my Dad was head hunted by the US gov't, worked for the other country's DOD at the age of 4 the move was not my choice.
If I could convince DH to move I would go back,but only to the part of that Nation that I was born in not the liberal part that is dominated by a certain country in the UK.

Blackstone
10-06-2009, 11:30 AM
Well, if we are not #1, why do we have such a HUGE illegal immigration problem?WRL

JOBS! At one time we had plenty of jobs illegal immigrants could get. Now that the economy is struggling and the job market has dried up, we have significantly fewer illegal immigrants. I have seen several articles stating numbers have declined by about 1.3 million so far.

Does any other country have an issue this big? Are people "killing themselves" to get into France or any other country?

There are plenty of other countries with illegal immigration problems. A lot of countries have large influxes of illegal immigrants for political and other non-economic reasons.

Roger Perry
10-06-2009, 11:31 AM
Sadly, the US is slipping and will continue to decline until at least 2013 when Osama leaves office. We aren't Number 1 anymore.

If we are not #1 you can thank your buddy G W Bush

WaterDogRem
10-06-2009, 11:40 AM
If we are not #1 you can thank your buddy G W Bush

So if we are number one, you can thank your buddy G W Bush too, uh?

luvmylabs23139
10-06-2009, 11:44 AM
[quote=Blackstone;509027]JOBS! At one time we had plenty of jobs illegal immigrants could get. Now that the economy is struggling and the job market has dried up, we have significantly fewer illegal immigrants. I have seen several articles stating numbers have declined by about 1.3 million so far.

quote]
Maybe now we can force some of those welfare people to get off their asses and do those jobs.

Roger Perry
10-06-2009, 11:51 AM
So if we are number one, you can thank your buddy G W Bush too, uh?

Why don't you ask the people of Iraq and Afghanistan what they think of G W. He was so popular that most of the NATO Nations did not back him either in the invasion or restructuring cost.

road kill
10-06-2009, 11:53 AM
Ask your self this question:
Which way has the USA been moving over the last 50+ years?
To the right??
To the left???
If you answer it honestly you will correlate the downward move in the eyes of the world!!

just sayin'.......

YardleyLabs
10-06-2009, 12:06 PM
Well, if we are not #1, why do we have such a HUGE illegal immigration problem? Does any other country have an issue this big? Are people "killing themselves" to get into France or any other country?

WRL
Actually, getting into France is very easy and doesn't require anyone to kill themselves. There were few restrictions on immigration prior to 1973, when immigrants were the primary source of population growth, and the borders are unguarded and open for anyone wanting to cross (I've done it many times on a bicycle without ever showing a passport.). Today, immigrants make up about 10% of the country's population and 25% of net population growth. The percent of the population that is immigrant is about the same as in the US.

Germany is a much greater recipient of immigrants. About 9% of its total population are foreigners and another 10% are immigrants. At 19% of total population, foreign born residents of Germany equal about twice the percentage found in the US. There are few restrictions on new immigration.

Switzerland, by the way, has 23% of its population made up of foreign born immigrants -- the largest percentage in Europe outside of ssome of the micro-states (e.g. Andorra).

WaterDogRem
10-06-2009, 12:24 PM
Why don't you ask the people of Iraq and Afghanistan what they think of G W. He was so popular that most of the NATO Nations did not back him either in the invasion or restructuring cost.

As usual deflect from Thread subject, but I would believe many of the people of Iraq are thankful to be liberated.

How about you ask yourself if you can ever post without referring to GWB? It would be interesting to what percentage of posts you refer/imply to GWB. But honestly it's not worth anyone's time to care about.

I did not agree with a majority of W's decisions, but I learn from (not dwell on) the past and look to the future.

The US is still number one in my eyes, but we have many challenges to face right now, in- & externally.

Blackstone
10-06-2009, 12:35 PM
[quote=Blackstone;509027]JOBS! At one time we had plenty of jobs illegal immigrants could get. Now that the economy is struggling and the job market has dried up, we have significantly fewer illegal immigrants. I have seen several articles stating numbers have declined by about 1.3 million so far.

quote]
Maybe now we can force some of those welfare people to get off their asses and do those jobs.

Dont' hold your breath. Welfare is a better deal. Some of those jobs don't pay as well as welfare. Most of the illegal immigrants are just willing to work hard for not much money.

Roger Perry
10-06-2009, 12:45 PM
As usual deflect from Thread subject, but I would believe many of the people of Iraq are thankful to be liberated.

How about you ask yourself if you can ever post without referring to GWB? It would be interesting to what percentage of posts you refer/imply to GWB. But honestly it's not worth anyone's time to care about.

I did not agree with a majority of W's decisions, but I learn from (not dwell on) the past and look to the future.

The US is still number one in my eyes, but we have many challenges to face right now, in- & externally.

I did not vote for Clinton, but we had it pretty good while he was in office. We had to deal with Bush's bad decisions for the last 8 years that brought our economy into a recession and almost into a depression not to mention 2 wars that have lasted longer than WW1 and WW2 combined.

Bayou Magic
10-06-2009, 12:55 PM
I did not vote for Clinton, but we had it pretty good while he was in office. We had to deal with Bush's bad decisions for the last 8 years that brought our economy into a recession and almost into a depression not to mention 2 wars that have lasted longer than WW1 and WW2 combined.

Thank God the Democratic congress saved this country from total catastrophe!

fp

Franco
10-06-2009, 01:09 PM
http://www.reuters.com/article/asiaCrisis/idUSSP457256

Ha, they listed Norway as best!

Norway is the largest importer of Af'gan heroin, which is legal. My nephew runs an American Oil Field Service Company is Oslo and he says the streets are filled with junkies sleeping in gutters, selling thier bodies and defecating on sidewalks!

So much for Reuters research.

P S He also said that one does not want to get sick there because the wait to see a doctor is weeks to months.

paul young
10-06-2009, 01:27 PM
not true; UB and Bob's favorite, Russia, is the biggest importer of heroin according to a news story released last week....-Paul

Franco
10-06-2009, 01:45 PM
not true; UB and Bob's favorite, Russia, is the biggest importer of heroin according to a news story released last week....-Paul

History International did a big piece on Norway's heroin problem this summer. Af'gan's farmers a flooding the markets with cheap, pure heroin. Maybe the Russians saw the show and felt like they were missing out. ;-)

Buzz
10-06-2009, 01:56 PM
I was trying to find something on the internets to verify that heroin is legal in Norway and the only thing I could find is that they legalized marijuana and the heroin was legal for use in treatment centers.

What am I missing?

dnf777
10-06-2009, 02:32 PM

Yes, I understand a popular way of expressing gratitude in the Middle East is to throw your shoes at someone. :rolleyes:

The United States of America is, and always will be #1 in my eyes. We may not rank #1 in certain categories, but this nation has advanced human rights farther than any other modern country, even if it took us a while to iron out some "wrinkles".

ducknwork
10-06-2009, 02:51 PM

Don't forget the delayed effect of some of Slick Willy's policies...:rolleyes: Or does he get a pass on those?

ONE MORE TIME: It is not Bush's fault that our economy is in the toilet.
________
HEAD SHOP (http://headshop.net/)

ducknwork
10-06-2009, 02:52 PM
Okay guys, back on topic...

A few of you have stated clearly that the US is still number 1 in your eyes. SO, if you had to pick another country in the world to live in, who would be your choice?

I'm really curious so that when the pending revolution comes, I know where to head...:cool:
________
Lovely Wendie99 (http://www.lovelywendie99.com/)

Franco
10-06-2009, 03:20 PM
Okay guys, back on topic...

A few of you have stated clearly that the US is still number 1 in your eyes. SO, if you had to pick another country in the world to live in, who would be your choice?

I'm really curious so that when the pending revolution comes, I know where to head...:cool:

The same place thousands of Americans are flocking to, Costa Rica. Check it out; http://www.state.gov/r/pa/ei/bgn/2019.htm

It is a Democracy, beautiful scenery, great weather, good fishing, water sports, low crime, a largely educated populace, doctors are mostly American and reasonable cost of living.

And, when the revolution does come, I hope to be smack dab in the middle of it! I'm tired of politicians squandering our wealth and degrading our heritage!

Franco
10-06-2009, 03:21 PM
I was trying to find something on the internets to verify that heroin is legal in Norway and the only thing I could find is that they legalized marijuana and the heroin was legal for use in treatment centers.

What am I missing?

I guess the fact the government looks the other way when it comes to illegal use of it.

Hew
10-06-2009, 03:53 PM
I think Australia would be ranked #2 in my book.

Buzz
10-06-2009, 04:05 PM

I wouldn't mind spending 6 months in the USA, and 6 months in Australia each year. I could have summer year round and not have to deal with short days of winter. The thing I hate most about winter is the darkness...

Roger Perry
10-06-2009, 04:43 PM
Don't forget the delayed effect of some of Slick Willy's policies...:rolleyes: Or does he get a pass on those?

ONE MORE TIME: It is not Bush's fault that our economy is in the toilet.

What are the delayed effects of Clinton's Administration? Can't blame the mortgage downfall. Clinton's HUD administration made changes in 1992 and you cannot tell me that it took until 2007 for a delayed effect to show up, that is ridiculous. Bush had a republican majority in Congress for 6 years to pass whatever laws he wanted passed. He chose to start 2 wars instead of looking out for the country.

When Obama was a Senator, he voted against the war. Too bad Bush was not smart enough to listen to him then.

Hew
10-06-2009, 04:48 PM
When Obama was a Senator, he voted against the war. Too bad Bush was not smart enough to listen to him then.
The Illinois Senate had a vote on going to war in Iraq? Good grief, dude.

road kill
10-06-2009, 04:49 PM
I have been to New Zealand.
It is awesome, excellent upland birds and big game hunting.

road kill
10-06-2009, 04:53 PM

Well........Obama is President now and guess what, we are STILL in Iraq.

Roger Perry
10-06-2009, 05:02 PM
Well........Obama is President now and guess what, we are STILL in Iraq.

And we will be for a loooooooooooooog time.

WaterDogRem
10-06-2009, 05:04 PM
I have been to New Zealand.
It is awesome, excellent upland birds and big game hunting.

That could be a choice, since they also have some killer snowboarding Mtns too.

zeus3925
10-06-2009, 05:43 PM

Bingo! (duck coming down). Australia is rated No. 2.

http://hdr.undp.org/en/media/HDR_2009_EN_Summary.pdf

paul young
10-06-2009, 06:31 PM
i have always wanted to go trout fishing in new zealand and chile....it would be great to winter (their summer) there!-Paul

Uncle Bill
10-07-2009, 03:38 PM
The Illinois Senate had a vote on going to war in Iraq? Good grief, dude.

Hey, Hey, Hey...since when did you start thinking Roger ever considered he needed any substantiation for his statements? When one lives in the fog of facism, historical facts just get in the way of a good post.;-)

UB

Bruce MacPherson
10-07-2009, 04:44 PM
Hey, Hey, Hey...since when did you start thinking Roger ever considered he needed any substantiation for his statements? When one lives in the fog of facism, historical facts just get in the way of a good post.;-)

UB

Hilarious, I was thinking the same thing myself.:)