PDA

View Full Version : GOP candidates shun help from Palin

Roger Perry
10-09-2009, 08:26 AM
GOP candidates shun help from Palin

October 9, 2009 - 6:19am

News (http://www.capitolhillblue.com/taxonomy/term/24)
http://www.capitolhillblue.com/files/100909palinap.jpg

Sarah Palin: Don't call us, we'll call you (AP)

Sarah Palin stands ready to stump for the Republican gubernatorial candidates running in the two most closely-watched campaigns in the country this fall, but neither seems to want her help.
Less than a month before voters go to the polls, it appears increasingly clear that the former Alaska governor, vice-presidential nominee and conservative favorite will not appear on behalf of either New Jersey’s Chris Christie or Virginia’s Bob McDonnell.
http://www.capitolhillblue.com/node/19978

TXduckdog
10-09-2009, 10:33 AM
Because Palin is still a lightening rod from left wing imbeciles....why bring that kind of garbage into gubernatorial races where the Dems are are in danger of getting their butts kicked.

Not to mention the GOP is mainly controlled by moderates, not necessarily conservatives....this last paragraph says it all....

"Neither GOP campaign wanted to discuss why they didn’t want Palin in the state—to say so would offend the conservative base that both Christie and McDonnell are counting on, not just to vote for them but to also volunteer time in the crucial final weeks of the election."

dnf777
10-09-2009, 11:00 AM
Because Palin is still a lightening rod from left wing imbeciles....why bring that kind of garbage into gubernatorial races where the Dems are are in danger of getting their butts kicked.

Not to mention the GOP is mainly controlled by moderates, not necessarily conservatives....this last paragraph says it all....

"Neither GOP campaign wanted to discuss why they didn’t want Palin in the state—to say so would offend the conservative base that both Christie and McDonnell are counting on, not just to vote for them but to also volunteer time in the crucial final weeks of the election."

If I was Mike Steele, I'd hire you in a heartbeat! That's better spin than an F5 tornado! Really though, her and John Edwards ought to form a club for former VP candidates who's parties would like to forget they ever existed!

road kill
10-09-2009, 11:13 AM
If I was Mike Steele, I'd hire you in a heartbeat! That's better spin than an F5 tornado! Really though, her and John Edwards ought to form a club for former VP candidates who's parties would like to forget they ever existed!
The Democrats evidently can't/won't forget about her.

It's almost all they talk about, well her and their hatred for bush!!;)

TXduckdog
10-09-2009, 11:14 AM

Grin....not bad, huh?

Actually, there are just certain parts of the GOP who don't care/or maybe that do care for Palin, surely McCain had to know the moderates of the party wouldn't go for her.

I'm still puzzling over the selection.

I think the Dems as a whole are wanting to forget Edwards, especially in light of recent events.

dnf777
10-09-2009, 02:29 PM
[QUOTE=road kill;510257]The Democrats evidently can't/won't forget about her.

QUOTE]

Its not the dems that are writing books! (neither is is Sarah, I seriously doubt!)

badbullgator
10-09-2009, 02:47 PM
I am conservative, but I am not a fan of Palin politically. She was one equal half of one of the weakest ticket the republicans have ever produced. I think she is cool personally (any chick that hunts and is as outdoorsy as she is cool) and I certainly would share a duck blind with her, but I have no interest in voting for her for anything because I think she is dumb as a rock (I do love me some dumb chick though just not in politics or professions). I don’t disagree with those who do not want her on their campaign for numerous reasons including that she is a target for the libs as well as a turn off to many republicans

dnf777
10-09-2009, 03:04 PM
I am conservative, but I am not a fan of Palin politically. She was one equal half of one of the weakest ticket the republicans have ever produced. I think she is cool personally (any chick that hunts and is as outdoorsy as she is cool) and I certainly would share a duck blind with her, but I have no interest in voting for her for anything because I think she is dumb as a rock (I do love me some dumb chick though just not in politics or professions). I don’t disagree with those who do not want her on their campaign for numerous reasons including that she is a target for the libs as well as a turn off to many republicans

I have to admit, she took *some* unfair blows, but she did not instill any confidence in her leadership abilities with me. Not just that I disagreed with her...there have been many I happen to disagree with but were excellent leaders.

The $150,000 wardrobe was just inexcusable, and I think did more to unravel the Mc/P ticket than most republicans were willing to admit. I don't care who payed for what, or which Salvation Army it gets donated to.....the average American man or woman who has to earn a living, and buy nice attire, could not swallow that. At some point, any politician who is running in arguably the worst econimic slump since the GD, and proclaiming to be a typical soccer mom, a little voice should tell them not to spend three times the median household income on clothes.

road kill
10-09-2009, 03:56 PM
I have to admit, she took *some* unfair blows, but she did not instill any confidence in her leadership abilities with me. Not just that I disagreed with her...there have been many I happen to disagree with but were excellent leaders.

The $150,000 wardrobe was just inexcusable, and I think did more to unravel the Mc/P ticket than most republicans were willing to admit. I don't care who payed for what, or which Salvation Army it gets donated to.....the average American man or woman who has to earn a living, and buy nice attire, could not swallow that. At some point, any politician who is running in arguably the worst econimic slump since the GD, and proclaiming to be a typical soccer mom, a little voice should tell them not to spend three times the median household income on clothes.

Thank God she didn't fly to Copenhagen, the emergency rooms would have filled with heart attack victims!:D

Hoosier
10-09-2009, 05:11 PM

She was in a political race with a bunch of millionaires, and was the closest thing to middle class in the race. She probably couldn't afford to dress the part on her own. I know I couldn't afford to go out and buy a closet full of $5000 suits. If she would have ran around in the cloths she could afford to buy on her own you would have been making fun of her cheap bag, and shoes. You need to mingle with the common folk a little more.

I suppose she could have ran around on the campaign trail with knee boots and a flannel.

Bob Gutermuth
10-09-2009, 06:12 PM
I will vote for Gov Palin in 12 if she wins the nomination, and perhaps even in the primary. She is far better qualified than Osama for the office.

Marvin S
10-09-2009, 06:21 PM
because I think she is dumb as a rock turn

Corey - Methinks you are being a little bit cruel but, she is FEMALE & that might help explain her illogical thinking. ;-) She was elected - 1st as a Mayor & then as Governor - so while people from the great state of AK may be different, I haven't met many that are stupid enough to repeat a mistake. :cool:

The $150,000 wardrobe was just inexcusable,

I do not agree - she was handled poorly from the start. Those of us who are fiscal conservatives did not like McCain, she was the only thing that made the race as close as it was.

The R's squandered their right to be in charge by their lack of fiscal prudence. One has to remember "the only difference between a liberal & a social conservative is the length of their hair". Both groups want to tell us what to do & will spend lots (of someone else's money) to accomplish that.

dnf777
10-09-2009, 06:29 PM
I do not agree - she was handled poorly from the start. Those of us who are fiscal conservatives did not like McCain, she was the only thing that made the race as close as it was.

The R's squandered their right to be in charge by their lack of fiscal prudence. One has to remember "the only difference between a liberal & a social conservative is the length of their hair". Both groups want to tell us what to do & will spend lots (of someone else's money) to accomplish that.

I don't understand. "& will spend lots of someone else's money" does not jive with $150,000 of contributor's money going to wardrobe! How can a fiscally conservative person agree with that? Maybe I missed your point, or read it wrong.

dnf777
10-09-2009, 06:31 PM
I will vote for Gov Palin in 12 if she wins the nomination, and perhaps even in the primary. She is far better qualified than Osama for the office.

Get ready for your taxes to go up even further! That wardrobe you'll be paying for ain't cheap!

badbullgator
10-09-2009, 06:41 PM
I should actually rephrase what I said before. I do not like her for national office in any way. I would probably not be interested in her for governor of my state unless she was the only conservative running. I think she would probably be a good mayor or counsel member and that local politics are more within her abilities. Alaska is a different place and maybe she is good as governor there. I do believe she took some unfair hits and that she was abused more than others in the race. I just kind of feel she is too “walmart” and lacks the social skills necessary to deal with people with more social skills. I just see reality tv written all over her, you know the family that you see on a reality show that is completely off the wall and is not the least bit embarrassed at themselves. I think she is done as far as national politics go and really hope she does not mount a run in 12. I think that weather it is fact or the perception that has been cast upon here, she is a liability to anyone she tries to help on the campaign trail because I feel more people dislike her, or even think she is a joke, than there are that take her seriously. Again she may have one of the greatest political minds we have ever seen, but if she does public perception of her, the media portrayal, and her own actions do nothing to prove that she does.

Bruce MacPherson
10-09-2009, 10:47 PM
Here is an accomplished, Governor of Alaska, woman. She's easy to look at has conservative values that she is not afraid to express and connects favorably with an amazing number of people. She also generates an unreasonable amount of venom from the left much of it having nothing to do with policy or honest disagreement over ideas.
If you don't like what she stands for that certainly is your right, make your case. To denigrate her for the clothes she bought or the perception that she's "dumb" doesn't bring much to the party in my opinion.

JDogger
10-09-2009, 11:52 PM
Please, please, Sarah in 2012. Please!!

JD

BonMallari
10-10-2009, 01:32 AM
If there is anything that we all learned about the 08 election is that its no longer about who is qualified, or about the issues (even though people will still use that argument) elections are now won or lost in the media. The Media in all of its forms including the internet are now the communication vehicle to the masses. How candidates are perceived are molded by the media...
As much as I like Palin she is basically damaged goods, her private life has been scrutinized and exposed and in many ways violated by the media. she makes for good political fodder and can energize the right and bring out the haters from the left, but could she ever win a national election...highly doubt it..

Bruce MacPherson
10-10-2009, 02:36 AM
Please, please, Sarah in 2012. Please!!

JD

Here's my prediction JD. By 2012 Obama will have screwed everything up to the point even you could beat him. I'm rooting for ya.:)

zeus3925
10-10-2009, 06:29 AM
By the Bye, good taxpayers--What happened to that money that was given to Sweet Sarah for that bridge to nowhere? Shouldn't it go back to cover some deficit holes?

JDogger
10-10-2009, 10:12 AM
Here's my prediction JD. By 2012 Obama will have screwed everything up to the point even you could beat him. I'm rooting for ya.:)

You might try not rooting for Obama to fail. It's your country too you know...

Get moving on 2010. Take back a few seats in congress. Mitigate Obama's effect. Then maybe the bleating and warbling won't be so shrill.

JD

dnf777
10-10-2009, 10:24 AM
If you don't like what she stands for that certainly is your right, make your case. To denigrate her for the clothes she bought or the perception that she's "dumb" doesn't bring much to the party in my opinion.

"The $150,000 wardrobe was just inexcusable, and I think did more to unravel the Mc/P ticket than most republicans were willing to admit. I don't care who payed for what, or which Salvation Army it gets donated to.....the average American man or woman who has to earn a living, and buy nice attire, could not swallow that. At some point, any politician who is running in arguably the worst econimic slump since the GD, and proclaiming to be a typical soccer mom, a little voice should tell them not to spend three times the median household income on clothes."

Public perception is what is it. That's why there's PR firms that gross in the 7 and 8 figures. Not because everyone is "dumb", but because they don't want to look "dumb".

I hope my quote above is not what you refer to as denigrating. I thought it was a civil evaluation of a campaign gaff, that is shared with many in her party. If you disagree, feel free to send the RNC contributions and maybe she will do that again in 2012. She wasn't my horse in the race, but if she was, man would I be p!$$ed!

Hew
10-10-2009, 04:00 PM
She wasn't my horse in the race, but if she was, man would I be p!$$ed!
Oh I can just imagine... You went on for days about Michelle Obama wearing $600 sneakers to serve the homeless for a 5 minute photo op. I thought you'd never let that red herring issue drop. On and on you went...oy vey.

dnf777
10-10-2009, 04:17 PM
Oh I can just imagine... You went on for days about Michelle Obama wearing $600 sneakers to serve the homeless for a 5 minute photo op. I thought you'd never let that red herring issue drop. On and on you went...oy vey.

Sure did. Go to www.heardavidcomplainaboutmichelleobamas$600sneake rssoHewwillbesatisfied.com

Marvin S
10-10-2009, 05:41 PM
Sure did. Go to www.heardavidcomplainaboutmichelleobamas$600sneake rssoHewwillbesatisfied.com (http://www.heardavidcomplainaboutmichelleobamas$600sneake rssoHewwillbesatisfied.com)

But Michelle earned :rolleyes: the money for those sneakers in a $317K part time job created especially for her by an earmark from her hubby. Apparently you have no problem with ethical lapses when your side does it. Though I don't consider what SP did an ethical lapse, more like a handler's error.

dnf777
10-10-2009, 07:54 PM
But Michelle earned :rolleyes: the money for those sneakers in a $317K part time job created especially for her by an earmark from her hubby. Apparently you have no problem with ethical lapses when your side does it. Though I don't consider what SP did an ethical lapse, more like a handler's error.

That's a whole 'nother thread! I will say that if ANY party conducts themselves dishonestly, I will hold them accountable in the only way I can...in November. We could spend days hashing through links of how appropriate or not her position was. I can tell you what she did is not only common in that level of gov't, it's almost expected. Gov't and corporate circles are full of examples of nominal partners, figureheads..all positions that may or may not cover their salaries.

If her job was passed through the legislative process, approved by the corporate board, and all income reported, then like it or not, its legit. As far as we know, it did not go to hush up affairs with spouses, like other elected officials who are clinging to their jobs have been suggested.

Really, I don't want to get into a tit for tat of "your guy did this" and "my guy did that". We would waste too many bytes, as both parties have their share of scoundrels.

Bruce MacPherson
10-10-2009, 08:38 PM
You might try not rooting for Obama to fail. It's your country too you know...

Get moving on 2010. Take back a few seats in congress. Mitigate Obama's effect. Then maybe the bleating and warbling won't be so shrill.

JD

The RNC has my number on speed dial, and trust me if Obamas policy's fail I'm the last guy that's going to get hurt.

Hew
10-10-2009, 11:28 PM
Really, I don't want to get into a tit for tat of "your guy did this" and "my guy did that".
If that's now your official policy your daily post count is going to be reduced by about 80%.

dnf777
10-11-2009, 07:59 AM
If that's now your official policy your daily post count is going to be reduced by about 80%.

As you so aptly illustrate.

pat addis
10-11-2009, 08:39 AM
please explain to me how any one who has heard joe biden speak can say sara palin is dumb especially the people who voted for him.

ErinsEdge
10-11-2009, 09:12 AM
Sarah is done in National politics. She will never get a break from the left and they will be on her like a tick on a dog but taking it down to wardrobe is really petty. Whoever dressed Michelle during the campaign, unless it was herself, gets my vote for WalMart taste. It has gotten better since she now employs about 20 people as her entourage to make her look like she has taste.

Gerry Clinchy
10-11-2009, 11:24 AM
please explain to me how any one who has heard joe biden speak can say sara palin is dumb especially the people who voted for him.

While Joe, I would say, came off better in the debates ... and he should have since he's had years to become familiar with the issues discussed there ... it's been pretty much downhill since then :-)

Stipulating again that I don't really think SP is presidential material, she did a pretty good job in doing a "fast study" to handle the debates as well as she did. She's an intelligent person, I think, but has a tendency to talk in sound bytes & catch phrases that may abuse the reality to appeal to the emotions. I've had quite enough of that after the last presidential campaign, thank you very much!

dnf777
10-11-2009, 11:39 AM

Big difference between being stupid and not agreeing with someone's position.

ErinsEdge: I too think the wardrobe issue is petty...both Sarah's and Michelle's issues. I only pointed out, as several republican strategists agree, that was a PR gaff of huge proportions. I've come to realize there is a privelaged class in the world, and they will dress nicely, expensively, and we shouldn't worry about it. Its just the way it is. But if you're going to portray yourself as a soccer mom who is just like everyone else, then you have to give up the expensive clothes perk. Selling the jet worked wonders for her, she just didn't apply that same logic to wardrobe in buying a set of clothes that cost as much as some small airplanes.

That's the extent of my picking on her clothes....in that it hurt her politically.

ErinsEdge
10-11-2009, 02:26 PM
But if you're going to portray yourself as a soccer mom who is just like everyone else, then you have to give up the expensive clothes perk.

What was she supposed to come out in, jeans and a hoodie? Yes she sure over did the soccer Mom line. Her clothes were fairly conservative-they may have been well made, but most of the time she had on a black skirt with a tailored suit top. Who knows and who cares what the figure really was for the clothes and if they were or weren't also to dress her family. The well dressed one was Cindy McCain, but then she can afford to be dressed well. All of all the talk over the clothes and look what all the candidates spend in jet fuel and the Obamas continue to spend on jet fuel to haul them along with their hundreds of entourage following them in multiple planes. All that jet fuel could sure give a bunch of people health insurance.
As far as PR gaffs, wonder what they have Biden doing to keep himself busy and away from a microphone. Oh, he must have found one and didn't he just make a speech about how well everything is going and how many jobs have been created? Tell the unemployed the good news as they head to the unemployment office.

badbullgator
10-11-2009, 02:48 PM

he has 1000 post in 5 months....most tit for tat:D:D:D dnf aren't you a doctor? 200 post a month must cut into your patient time....maybe that is part of the heathcare problem.......

dnf777
10-11-2009, 03:44 PM
he has 1000 post in 5 months....most tit for tat:D:D:D dnf aren't you a doctor? 200 post a month must cut into your patient time....maybe that is part of the heathcare problem.......

When sitting up all freakin' night waiting to see people in the ER, it's a nice diversion, if you must know. Not much else going on in our little town from 11pm to 4am.

But the diversion away from the topics to personal shots tells me you either agree and don't want to admit it, or can't come up with a valid reason why dear Sarah's $150,000 was GOOD for the republican constituency to refute my observation. ;-)

Hell, I can't even enjoy a sandwich at 2am.

dnf777
10-11-2009, 03:54 PM
What was she supposed to come out in, jeans and a hoodie? Yes she sure over did the soccer Mom line. Her clothes were fairly conservative-they may have been well made, but most of the time she had on a black skirt with a tailored suit top. Who knows and who cares what the figure really was for the clothes and if they were or weren't also to dress her family. The well dressed one was Cindy McCain, but then she can afford to be dressed well. All of all the talk over the clothes and look what all the candidates spend in jet fuel and the Obamas continue to spend on jet fuel to haul them along with their hundreds of entourage following them in multiple planes. All that jet fuel could sure give a bunch of people health insurance.
As far as PR gaffs, wonder what they have Biden doing to keep himself busy and away from a microphone. Oh, he must have found one and didn't he just make a speech about how well everything is going and how many jobs have been created? Tell the unemployed the good news as they head to the unemployment office.

Actually, I think she looks pretty damn good in jeans and a hoodie! She seems to score the most points when dressed casually too. Just curious, what did she choose to wear on the cover of her new book?

As for Obama and Biden, you seem to mistake me for an ardent supporter. I'm just someone who is fed up with Bush's disastrous policies and am willing to give someone else a chance. Something not many here are willing to do, and that's fine. I'm not exactly thrilled with most of his policies either, especially his continuation of Bush's massive deficit spending and big government policies.

I wasn't here for most of Bush's regime, but I'm sure all the conservatives here were blasting away at the record-setting deficit spending and the first 700,000,000,000 bailout package. Remember, the one McCain suspended his campaign to rush back to DC and support?

Marvin S
10-11-2009, 04:23 PM
Whoever dressed Michelle during the campaign, unless it was herself, gets my vote for WalMart taste. It has gotten better since she now employs about 20 people as her entourage to make her look like she has taste.

I grew up on a farm in SD. 1 of my chores was bringing the cows in for evening milking. We had a cow that would let me hop on her back & ride her so I got a good view of all the cows going in. When I watch the FL walk it reminds me very much of the cow gaits that I noticed so many times. :) This FL may always have money but neither she nor her hubby will ever have taste!

road kill
10-11-2009, 06:04 PM
Big difference between being stupid and not agreeing with someone's position.

ErinsEdge: I too think the wardrobe issue is petty...both Sarah's and Michelle's issues. I only pointed out, as several republican strategists agree, that was a PR gaff of huge proportions. I've come to realize there is a privelaged class in the world, and they will dress nicely, expensively, and we shouldn't worry about it. Its just the way it is. But if you're going to portray yourself as a soccer mom who is just like everyone else, then you have to give up the expensive clothes perk. Selling the jet worked wonders for her, she just didn't apply that same logic to wardrobe in buying a set of clothes that cost as much as some small airplanes.

That's the extent of my picking on her clothes....in that it hurt her politically.

Really??

List them!:D

dnf777
10-11-2009, 07:28 PM
Really??

List them!:D

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/23/us/politics/23palin.html

Such an image is unhelpful at this late stage of the general election, Republicans said, especially when many families are experiencing economic pain, and when the image applies to a candidate, like Ms. Palin, who has run for office in part on her appeal as an outdoors enthusiast and former small-town mayor who scorns pretensions.

“It looks like nobody with a political antenna was working on this,” said Ed Rollins, a Republican political consultant who ran President Ronald Reagan’s re-election campaign in 1984. “It just undercuts Palin’s whole image as a hockey mom, a ‘one-of-us’ kind of candidate.”

Sorry I can't find prime source verification on others, but I remember Alex Castellanos and Joe Scarbrough, as well as David Gergen saying that it was a bone-headed political move in so many words. Legal, but stupid.

All I'm sayin', to me, it was a common-sense blunder. But if you disagree and think it was a brilliant strategey, hey---go for it! If nominated in 2012, I hope she spends $1 million on clothes.

dnf777
10-11-2009, 07:38 PM
I grew up on a farm in SD. 1 of my chores was bringing the cows in for evening milking. We had a cow that would let me hop on her back & ride her so I got a good view of all the cows going in. When I watch the FL walk it reminds me very much of the cow gaits that I noticed so many times. :) This FL may always have money but neither she nor her hubby will ever have taste!

And that's profound, coming from a man who "hops on cow's backs and rides them"! :shock::shock::shock::shock::shock:

Sorry, I haven't slept in 40 hours.

Hoosier
10-11-2009, 07:47 PM
And that's profound, coming from a man who "hops on cow's backs and rides them"! :shock::shock::shock::shock::shock:

Sorry, I haven't slept in 40 hours.

Not everyone grew up inside the city limits. Do you know Marvins story? I have read his posts over the last couple of years, and believe he is someone who has earned and deserves some respect.

YardleyLabs
10-11-2009, 07:47 PM
Marvin as a youth -- a reenactment:

http://jeffgoodwin.com/images/Vietnam/V02_DSC_0156.jpg

I used an illegal alien from Vietnam to keep costs down....

Bruce MacPherson
10-11-2009, 07:56 PM
Marvin as a youth -- a reenactment:

http://jeffgoodwin.com/images/Vietnam/V02_DSC_0156.jpg

I used an illegal alien from Vietnam to keep costs down....

:razz::razz::razz::razz::razz: I don't care for your politics Jeff but if you can't laugh about this you have absolutely no sense of humor, good stuff.

YardleyLabs
10-11-2009, 08:17 PM
:razz::razz::razz::razz::razz: I don't care for your politics Jeff but if you can't laugh about this you have absolutely no sense of humor, good stuff.
Well, you'll notice that while the kid may be moving to the "right", the animal is definitely a "lefty". I actually took this shot in July 2004.

By the way, I do not intend any disrespect with my post. I shot the photo of this kid at a little before 6 AM as he left to drive the cattle out to the grazing grounds. He didn't return for dinner until 12 hours later. The kids worked hard but also played games, almost all of which were conducted from the backs of their charges. Loss of an animal was a serious issue. While I was in the village, one fell off the mountain during a torrential rainstorm. That became part of our meals and the meals of everyone else in the village for the next few days.

dnf777
10-11-2009, 10:05 PM
Not everyone grew up inside the city limits. Do you know Marvins story? I have read his posts over the last couple of years, and believe he is someone who has earned and deserves some respect.

Loosen up! I didn't grow up in the city limits, and still live on a farm. We all deserve a little respect!
Marvin can certainly dish it out, and I suspect he can take a little too!

ErinsEdge
10-12-2009, 08:19 AM
This FL may always have money but neither she nor her hubby will ever have taste! LOL, notice I said "looks like she has taste".

Actually made me think of a line my Father used to say translated from the Russian as "looks like a saddle on a cow" which usually came out when a woman had a larger butt in an outfit, which he probably would have uttered had he been alive with the FL. Google is a wonderful thing because I found it. "Корова is a good word to have in your special insult pocket, but should be used with care. It can describe any fat, clumsy person, particularly of the female persuasion. Of the native Russian cow expressions, I like как корове седло (like a saddle on a cow), which is something you probably shouldn’t say to someone’s face: Платье ей идёт как корове седло (on her, the dress is as flattering as a saddle on a cow)." It must have been said enough around the house because I actually remember how to pronounce it.

road kill
10-12-2009, 08:46 AM
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/23/us/politics/23palin.html

Such an image is unhelpful at this late stage of the general election, Republicans said, especially when many families are experiencing economic pain, and when the image applies to a candidate, like Ms. Palin, who has run for office in part on her appeal as an outdoors enthusiast and former small-town mayor who scorns pretensions.

“It looks like nobody with a political antenna was working on this,” said Ed Rollins, a Republican political consultant who ran President Ronald Reagan’s re-election campaign in 1984. “It just undercuts Palin’s whole image as a hockey mom, a ‘one-of-us’ kind of candidate.”

Sorry I can't find prime source verification on others, but I remember Alex Castellanos and Joe Scarbrough, as well as David Gergen saying that it was a bone-headed political move in so many words. Legal, but stupid.

All I'm sayin', to me, it was a common-sense blunder. But if you disagree and think it was a brilliant strategey, hey---go for it! If nominated in 2012, I hope she spends $1 million on clothes.
I read the link.
Looks like Joy Behar led the charge on this one.
I don't think her wardrobe had any greater affect then Edwards haircuts and Michelles tennis shoes.

But if that was your tipping point, I think it would speak volumes about your choice process!!:D

TXduckdog
10-12-2009, 10:00 AM
Actually, I think she looks pretty damn good in jeans and a hoodie! She seems to score the most points when dressed casually too. Just curious, what did she choose to wear on the cover of her new book?

As for Obama and Biden, you seem to mistake me for an ardent supporter. I'm just someone who is fed up with Bush's disastrous policies and am willing to give someone else a chance. Something not many here are willing to do, and that's fine. I'm not exactly thrilled with most of his policies either, especially his continuation of Bush's massive deficit spending and big government policies.

I wasn't here for most of Bush's regime, but I'm sure all the conservatives here were blasting away at the record-setting deficit spending and the first 700,000,000,000 bailout package. Remember, the one McCain suspended his campaign to rush back to DC and support?

If you bother to go back and get the full history of the Bush Administration you'll see some decent legislation. But as Bush decided he needed to kiss the Dem's a$$....his policies became more liberal and he simply caved to their demands.

One final thing...it took less than 6 months for the Dems and this administration to rewrite the record books for deficit spending and massive government intrusion. We'll see how you respond when this HC bill gets rammed down your throat and the 2nd stimulus package gets passed and then the cap and tax legislation is passed. Effectively turning this country into the biggest nanny state in the world.

You can keep talking about Bush....thats what the Dems want...while they spend us into financial oblivion.....

dnf777
10-12-2009, 10:35 AM
I read the link.
Looks like Joy Behar led the charge on this one.
I don't think her wardrobe had any greater affect then Edwards haircuts and Michelles tennis shoes.

But if that was your tipping point, I think it would speak volumes about your choice process!!:D

No, believe me, that wasn't the tipping point. And you're right, extravagant spending by anyone never earns points with the working folks. My only point was that she went out of her way to portray herself as a soccer-mom, ordinary mom type......just didn't jive with her wardrobe. All I'm sayin....

dnf777
10-12-2009, 10:37 AM
If you bother to go back and get the full history of the Bush Administration you'll see some decent legislation. But as Bush decided he needed to kiss the Dem's a$$....his policies became more liberal and he simply caved to their demands.

So am I to understand that Bush's record deficit spending was all the result of the minority democratic congress??? That's a new one. I haven't even heard Rush or Hannity come up with that!

TXduckdog
10-12-2009, 10:53 AM
As I recall....the filibuster program was in full force and to get any meaningful legislation passed he had to go tit for tat.

Even trying to work with Dems like Ted Kennedy on education got nothing but a knife in the back.

Your extremely narrow recollection of the political situation and cynical view of Bush in general have masked the fact that Bush tried to go the bipartisan route in many legislative issues and look what happened. Why people like you get so bent out of shape about a repub president who emulated the liberal policy of spend, spend, spend is beyond me.

Goes to show you.....this type of fiscal policy is bad...no matter who's sitting in the Oval office.

YardleyLabs
10-12-2009, 12:38 PM
As I recall....the filibuster program was in full force and to get any meaningful legislation passed he had to go tit for tat.

Even trying to work with Dems like Ted Kennedy on education got nothing but a knife in the back.

Your extremely narrow recollection of the political situation and cynical view of Bush in general have masked the fact that Bush tried to go the bipartisan route in many legislative issues and look what happened. Why people like you get so bent out of shape about a repub president who emulated the liberal policy of spend, spend, spend is beyond me.

Goes to show you.....this type of fiscal policy is bad...no matter who's sitting in the Oval office.
If you check the numbers, you will see that the growth in the deficit began to slow when the Dems won control of Congress under Bush.

dnf777
10-12-2009, 12:46 PM

I'm not sure what you mean by "people like you", but speaking for myself, I don't like deficit spending by any leadership in the whitehouse. Many "people like you" seem to have a problem with it only now that Obama is in office. Always makes me wonder what is true fiscal conservatism, and what is petty party politics. Record deficits are foolish whether its a dem or repub in office, as you point out.

TXduckdog
10-12-2009, 07:18 PM
That did sound harsh didn't it...sorry. I meant folks that don't mind or actually prefer government handouts.

TXduckdog
10-12-2009, 07:18 PM
If you check the numbers, you will see that the growth in the deficit began to slow when the Dems won control of Congress under Bush.

Prove it. Show me the CBO numbers.

badbullgator
10-12-2009, 08:34 PM
When sitting up all freakin' night waiting to see people in the ER, it's a nice diversion, if you must know. Not much else going on in our little town from 11pm to 4am.

But the diversion away from the topics to personal shots tells me you either agree and don't want to admit it, or can't come up with a valid reason why dear Sarah's $150,000 was GOOD for the republican constituency to refute my observation. ;-)

Hell, I can't even enjoy a sandwich at 2am.

Interesting that looking back over your last 100 post none of them came between 11pm and 4 am but whatever;-)
I hae no problem with the money spent on her. As has been pointed out a lot of people cannot/could not afford to "dress the part" on their own. I would be way out classes if someone did not help me out in the same situation. No win for her, dress in what you can afford and be mocked or dress in what they buy for you and be mocked

dnf777
10-12-2009, 09:23 PM
Not much going on from 4am to 11pm either! :D

All I'm sayin is portraying youself as a common folk, then donning 150k clothes didn't go over well with many folks.

Its far from me to mock anyone who hunts all day, retires in their 40s, and signs a multi-million dollar book deal for two weeks work! Hell, I'm green with envy! I'm just waiting to see her pull up to a press conference in a F350 with a chassis mount 12 holer.

Hoosier
10-12-2009, 09:58 PM
Not much going on from 4am to 11pm either! :D

All I'm sayin is portraying youself as a common folk, then donning 150k clothes didn't go over well with many folks.

Its far from me to mock anyone who hunts all day, retires in their 40s, and signs a multi-million dollar book deal for two weeks work! Hell, I'm green with envy! I'm just waiting to see her pull up to a press conference in a F350 with a chassis mount 12 holer.

Out of all the National politicians, she the the most likely to do it. I can see why you would have a problem with her.

M&K's Retrievers
10-12-2009, 10:06 PM
Nugent/Palin 2012 :razz::razz::razz:

YardleyLabs
10-12-2009, 10:13 PM
Prove it. Show me the CBO numbers.

http://zfacts.com/metaPage/lib/National-Debt-GDP-L.gif

The decrease and then slowdown shown in the graph for GWB was when the Dems took control of Congress. The skyrocket is from the bailout that happened, at the request of the WH, with the passage of the TARP last fall. This information is at http://zfacts.com/p/318.html.

dnf777
10-13-2009, 08:13 AM
Out of all the National politicians, she the the most likely to do it. I can see why you would have a problem with her.

I don't understand. Please explain.

Hoosier
10-13-2009, 11:50 AM
I don't understand. Please explain.

Guess I should have used :rolleyes: