PDA

View Full Version : What is your solution to US problems

BonMallari
10-10-2009, 03:36 PM
we have all demonstrated that we are great armchair quarterbacks but lets see who has real viable solutions to the problems that face our nation....I will take a shot and get it started..lets see who has real ideas instead of attacking each other's posts

1. close the US borders immediately,no amnesty,zero tolerance

2. term limits for Senators, House of Rep ; two terms/12 yrs max for senators,10 yrs max for congressmen

3. 15 yr limit on SCOTUS

4. no more lobbyists

5. stop financial aid to foreign countries for 5 yrs

6. charity begins at home,stop trying to solve the worlds problems,

luvmylabs23139
10-10-2009, 04:10 PM
No more earmarks! If a state wants a pet project it can pay for it with state money.

Goose
10-10-2009, 04:17 PM
We have to do much more.

1) Force the Fed to open its books for an audit. This HAS to be done. Ron Paul has a Bill right now that will get it done but he needs help from the democrats and more republicans. Bernanke will fight this tooth and nail.

2) Force the banks and financial institutions in this country to come clean with all the bad mortgages and debt they hold...much of it off balance sheet. Mark to market accounting. No more extend and pretend.

If we do these two things we'll be busy picking up the pieces for a long time but at least it's a beginning.

3) Vote for fiscal conservatives...republican or democrat. But good luck finding a democrat. The politicians have to stop spending money...NOW! Our money is like crack to these politicians and they're addicted, man.

Bob Gutermuth
10-10-2009, 04:29 PM
Impeach Osama

luvalab
10-10-2009, 04:33 PM
1. Hold journalists accountable for reporting actual news, not playing the public or corporate interests for approval.
2. Hold politicians accountable to actually governing, not playing the public or corporate interests for approval.
3. Hold ourselves accountable for actually knowing what is fact and what is opinion, not being played by politicians and corporate interests.
4. Hold ourselves accountable as constituents, by communicating with politicians while they are in office, voting them out if they are deficient, and paying attention to local politicians and issues as well as federal.

5. More generally: A few folks need to partake of some cultural sensitivity training and GED-level history review; a few others need to stop being so sensitive they can't function as citizens.

6. That said, some of the above folks just aren't very bright or have stubborn mean streaks or psychological damage, so the rest of us need to treat them like crazy uncles (even if they're national figures) and move on rather than taking the bait and tearing each other apart with useless vitriol. It just plays into the hands of those media figures and politicians incapable of nos. 1 and 2.

Marvin S
10-10-2009, 05:07 PM
I will critique what you say in bold.

we have all demonstrated that we are great armchair quarterbacks but lets see who has real viable solutions to the problems that face our nation....I will take a shot and get it started..lets see who has real ideas instead of attacking each other's posts

1. close the US borders immediately,no amnesty,zero tolerance - AGREE, We have allowed too many to come before the previous bunch is assimilated into the tolerance we have for others.

2. term limits for Senators, House of Rep ; two terms/12 yrs max for senators,10 yrs max for congressmen - Terms limits, everywhere - it would be easily accomplished by providing 0 retirement benefits for anyone elected to any position.

3. 15 yr limit on SCOTUS - I'd give em 20, but again no retirement beyond SS.

4. no more lobbyists - We are all lobbyists - just stop the favors granted.

5. stop financial aid to foreign countries for 5 yrs - Tough one, when we send money to the Israeli's it is to fight some of our battles for us. I would say we should expect an accounting of where the money goes, as most goes into some despot dictator's bank account. I would do it forever, though.

6. charity begins at home,stop trying to solve the worlds problems. I don't believe in charity, hand up instead of a handout. You have to remember there are large industries evolving around charity.

But let's solve our own problems - School Choice would be a good start. Stop coddling criminals, the guy in AZ has it correct. An overly intrusive government, the losers never seem to pay the consequences. :(

Pals
10-10-2009, 05:10 PM
Ditto to all the above and:

Make the welfare system a one time deal, with a term limit, and anyone receiving welfare MUST volunteer in community programs, including trash pick up if they can't be useful in other programs.

Eye for an eye justice system

Let sherif Joe redo the entire jail system.

Muzzel the ACLU

If you are a citizen of the USA and have a huggy feel good session with dictators and enemies of state-you are a traitor. GET OUT. You've revoked your right to live here.

By golly I like this thread.

luvmylabs23139
10-10-2009, 05:38 PM
Get the gov't out of the mortgage business, bye bye Feddie, Fannie, and FHA.

Roger Perry
10-10-2009, 06:42 PM
Impeach Osama

Impeach him for what? Being a democrat? Your party did a lot to help the Country in the last 8 years.

dnf777
10-10-2009, 06:45 PM
I agree with almost all of the above except term limits. Sort of. If we had TRUE campaign finance reform, got rid of lobbyists and corporate and SIG influence, then the PEOPLE could impose true term limits on those they don't like...its called elections!

Admittedly, right now, the system protects incumbents unfairly. But unless we address the root of the problem, ie lobbyists and SIGs, they will just line up their candidates and replace them as their terms expire, and we'll have the same problem with new faces every so many years. I say rid the system of corrupted campaigns and let the PEOPLE choose. THen, if there truly is someone the people want, they won't be arbitrarily kicked out.

Having said that, I do believe there is good reason to have term limits on the president. He is in a much more solid position to power-grab and influence the course of the country than any one out of 500 legislators. With the powers the presidents have amassed over the years, (and never relinquish regardless of party changes) he is much closer to a monarch than any legislative body could be. As for SCOTUS.....???? I'll defer to the authors of the Constitution on that one.

subroc
10-10-2009, 06:55 PM
Remember, we are a Special Interest Group (SIG). Just by populating this forum we have a special and common interest. Those that are members of NRA are lobbyists.

Before you criticize, determine how it will affect you.

Special interest groups and lobbyists are not the problem; it is how that influence is used that is a problem. When used as an educational tool for our elected officials, it is invaluable. When used as a tool to bribe and corrupt those same elected officials, there should be immediate and strong sanctions.

Buzz
10-10-2009, 06:56 PM
Make the welfare system a one time deal, with a term limit, and anyone receiving welfare MUST volunteer in community programs, including trash pick up if they can't be useful in other programs.

I say instead of working in community programs, they need to be required to participate in job retraining programs. Satisfactory progress toward completion must be shown in order to continue benefits.

dnf777
10-10-2009, 07:12 PM
Remember, we are a Special Interest Group (SIG). Just by populating this forum we have a special and common interest. Those that are members of NRA are lobbyists.

Before you criticize, determine how it will affect you.

Special interest groups and lobbyists are not the problem; it is how that influence is used that is a problem. When used as an educational tool for our elected officials, it is invaluable. When used as a tool to bribe and corrupt those same elected officials, there should be immediate and strong sanctions.

Agreed. A big problem is when a corporation with HUGE financial resources, yet representing the interests of a very few people who stand to benefit, exerts that influence, often to the detriment to the populace, who collectively may not muster the same financial resources as the corporation.

Julie R.
10-11-2009, 06:41 AM
2. term limits for Senators, House of Rep ; two terms/12 yrs max for senators,10 yrs max for congressmen - Terms limits, everywhere - it would be easily accomplished by providing 0 retirement benefits for anyone elected to any position.

3. 15 yr limit on SCOTUS - I'd give em 20, but again no retirement beyond SS.

These two right here would go a long way toward making these people answer to us instead of lining their pockets at our expense. Get rid of their retirement plans and health insurance benefits too so any 'health care reform' they decide on applies to them, too. Instead of the all inclusive health care perk they get with their jobs, let them pick from the same choices available to the rest of us. NO retirement pay for them. That would probably be as effective as term limits!

zeus3925
10-11-2009, 09:14 AM

In Minnesota, in order to receive AFDC, all adults in the household must first register with the Work Force Center. While on assistance they must spend 20 hrs a week at the Work Force office, honing resume and interviewing skills. They also have to spend time searching for open jobs on the Work Forces internet hook up. A recipient must accept any job they can physically do.

In addition, staffers from the county contact local employers to search out openings and refer appropriate recipients to the employer. After a period of time, I believe 90 or 120 days, a recipient is then referred to various county public works projects. They must continue to report to Work Force.

A recipient may receive AFDC for lifetime limit of 60 months. If there are children in the house at the time of expiration, the household is referred to child protection for possible placement with relatives and/or foster care.

NO AFDC is given to illegal aliens.

Gerry Clinchy
10-11-2009, 10:41 AM
These two right here would go a long way toward making these people answer to us instead of lining their pockets at our expense. Get rid of their retirement plans and health insurance benefits too so any 'health care reform' they decide on applies to them, too. Instead of the all inclusive health care perk they get with their jobs, let them pick from the same choices available to the rest of us. NO retirement pay for them. That would probably be as effective as term limits!

I don't think a retirement plan should be totally eliminated, but it should be something WAY more reasonable than the lush plan they now get.

In most private plans, there is a qualifying period. You don't begin to benefit until after "x" number of years of service. That is reasonable, and should apply to Congress as well. How many in private industry receive full pay retirement benefits after 10 years of service? Not many that I can think of.

Also agree that any health care/coverage should not be so much more luxurious than John Q Public can afford. Basic coverage provided, and enhancements at the expense of the individual. In most cases today, that also means the individual pays from their own pocket for family coverage.

As long as Congress can enjoy these luxury benefits, it's a lot easier for them to take the "let them eat cake" attitude toward their constituents.

My own favorite is that nobody should be allowed to hold public office until they have spent at least five years in private industry ... where they will learn about income v. expenses (operate within a budget!) and how to generate wealth as well as spend it :-)

So many of our legislators go from school (college, law school, grad school) to politics or public "service" ... as aides to Congressman, etc. They never see the "real world". They live in the fantasy world their entire careers/lives.

cotts135
10-12-2009, 06:05 AM
We have to do much more.

1) Force the Fed to open its books for an audit. This HAS to be done. Ron Paul has a Bill right now that will get it done but he needs help from the democrats and more republicans. Bernanke will fight this tooth and nail.

2) Force the banks and financial institutions in this country to come clean with all the bad mortgages and debt they hold...much of it off balance sheet. Mark to market accounting. No more extend and pretend.

If we do these two things we'll be busy picking up the pieces for a long time but at least it's a beginning.

3) Vote for fiscal conservatives...republican or democrat. But good luck finding a democrat. The politicians have to stop spending money...NOW! Our money is like crack to these politicians and they're addicted, man.

You hit it right on with this. It's the money that drives everything and with that being the case it is imperative that an effort be made to do what you have listed.
I would also add that there has to be some meaningful regulation enacted that deals with the crooks on Wall St. and in the larger banks of this country. Without it I am afraid we will see the same mess over and over again as what we just went through. I am just not trusting enough to leave the people that are in control of the money to continue to work based on faith alone.