PDA

View Full Version : Is Global Warming Over?

subroc
10-11-2009, 10:04 AM
This article, at least at some level, is a balanced article.

The need for conservation, less pollution and a cleaner environment aside, is CO2 responsible for global warming? Is the warming problem over? How does the fact that the worlds temperature, for several years, is actually cooling validate your position?

Do you think that solar activity is a substantial part, if not the primary driver of "everything else" of our worlds temperature?

Those that currently have faith in the whole man caused global warming/CO2 position; do recent events add any doubt to that faith?

Does this article in any way give you any doubt to your long held belief/position?

Could the position by those in the article that claim “we may indeed be in a period of cooling worldwide temperatures that could last another 10-20 years” be little more than “weasel words” used to support an untenable position?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/8299079.stm (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/8299079.stm)

Bruce MacPherson
10-11-2009, 10:42 AM
I have always believed that this is more of a political and economic argument than a purely scientific one. That being said, I don't have a doubt that man made activity has an influence on the environment. I think everyone on this board has a vested interest in conservation but the all or nothing approach being advanced by special interest groups, that many times also have a huge financial stake in the outcome, should never be mistaken for scientific fact.

subroc
10-11-2009, 11:06 AM
...I don't have a doubt that man made activity has an influence on the environment...

Bruce, I expect this is true. But the coupling of that with the man caused global warming issue is a leap I am not prepared to make.

...I think everyone on this board has a vested interest in conservation but the all or nothing approach being advanced by special interest groups, that many times also have a huge financial stake in the outcome, should never be mistaken for scientific fact...

Agree

Goose
10-11-2009, 11:34 AM
Man-made global warming? Ha! The only thing man-made is the hoax that Algore and all his big-government, tax and spend liberals have created. It's all about government control with them so they can steal more of your money. And of course with Al it's also about him making tons of money in carbon trading which is the reason he lies so incessantly about global warming/climate change. He covets money.

Algore was recently in Wisconsin spewing more global warming bilge when he actually took a few questions from the media. When one journalist actually questioned the accuracy of Algore's position on climate change his microphone was cut off. Forget debate...I'm right and you're wrong. Now that's what I call science.

dnf777
10-11-2009, 11:42 AM
It was 36 degrees out this morning. Definately cooling off. I've always said if we want to fix global warming, everyone should open their windows and doors, and crank the A/C up all the way!

Uncle Bill
10-13-2009, 12:01 PM
It was 36 degrees out this morning. Definately cooling off. I've always said if we want to fix global warming, everyone should open their windows and doors, and crank the A/C up all the way!

Wow...a sane thought, albeit somewhat funky. Now tell us your view on the Algore carbon-credit bill?

If you pass that exam, you might even expand into the union expansion bill.

UB

dnf777
10-13-2009, 03:19 PM
Wow...a sane thought, albeit somewhat funky. Now tell us your view on the Algore carbon-credit bill?

If you pass that exam, you might even expand into the union expansion bill.

UB

Like a lot of legislation, it's goals are noble, but it's execution will likely have many unforseen side-effects. Bottom line, is any reduction in emissions must cut an even path across all nations, else some will be unfairly penalized and no longer competitive in a global market.

Humans are far too greedy to ever hammer out a fair agreement that will cause all involved to feel some pain. We can't reform healthcare in our own country, (or decide if we NEED to reform) so how do we expect to have a chance at a global agreement?

Larry64
10-13-2009, 03:36 PM
Lets see. Cool summer this year, killing frost in September, and the last 10 days or so have been down right cold around here.

Uncle Bill
10-13-2009, 04:03 PM
Anyone buying into the Algore program has their head in the sand, or elsewhere, where the sun don't shine.

If what's happening to the weather in this country continues, better start watching the commodities for a place to speculate with your $$$$.

Brother Bill had this musing. UB

What happened to global warming?" asks a headline at the BBC.

Folks in the Rockies are shivering. "Western Montana breaks records," says a report. Missoula reported a low of 8 degrees yesterday...14 degrees lower than the previous record for this early in the season.

Nearby Idaho had heavy snow last week too. Same thing in New Zealand, where roads were blocked by heavy snow.

In New Zealand, two major North Island highways remain closed after unseasonal heavy snow days stranded motorists for two nights. "Even if this was the middle of winter this is extreme," said an analyst.

And right now, it's spring in NZ. They had a spring snowstorm that put their winter snowstorms to shame.

"Forget global warming," says old friend Jim Davidson. "Get ready for another ice age." Buy Brazil, he advises; the cold will drive down farm output in North America and Europe.

As the BBC reports, worldwide temperatures are not increasing; they've been falling for the last 10 years. No one knows why. Global warming enthusiasts say the trend is still towards higher temperatures. Their opponents say the world is actually beginning a major period of cooling - driven by solar activity, not by man-made carbon emissions.

Who's right? We get out our mittens and wait to find out.

Until tomorrow,

Bill Bonner

Bob Gutermuth
10-13-2009, 04:13 PM
Global warning is BS, its just a convenient way to get that crooked cap and trade garbage passed.

Gerry Clinchy
10-16-2009, 06:03 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091016/ap_on_re_eu/eu_russia_moscow_vs_snow

LOL ... we're talking about global warming & the mayor of Moscow is trying to keep the snow out of the city to reduce snow-removal costs to the city. However, his cloud seeding to accomplish this may also have unanticipated effects on animals, Moscow's trees, and the areas which will receive the snow instead of Moscow.

The same day, explorers give their ice depth measurements indicating that the Arctic ice cap has continued to recede, and within 10 years the ice cap will nearly melt completely during the summer months; and within 20 to 30 years will melt completely during the Arctic summer.