PDA

View Full Version : Perry v. Hutchinson

dnf777
10-16-2009, 10:44 AM
Wow, this is gonna be good! I used to love following Texas politics, and this will certainly re-kindle. Last time I recall a battle of the sexes, it was Ann Richards verses Clayton Wheat Williams! It was close until a Wheat rally was rained out, and he was caught on open mike saying "rain is like rape, if you can't avoid it, might as well lay back and enjoy it." Gov. Richards was elected not long after.

Strange as it may sound, the media and other republicans seemed to be more outraged by his lack of gentlemanship when she extended her hand to him, and rather than shake hands, he turned and walked away.

It will be interesting to see if Kay Bailey uses Rick Perry's secession statements against him in the campaign?

TXduckdog
10-16-2009, 10:52 AM
Perry has done a relatively decent job as governor...pretty popular with the folks.

Hutchinson is a wealthy done-nothing but vote the party line Senator. But she is big in the Texas RP. For all her time in the senate, I can't recall her ever sponsoring any major legislation.

I'm with a lot of folks....Hutchinson has done nothing to deserve the governorship and Perry has done nothing to really lose it.

If the campaign runs true to form, Hutchinson will nitpick on in-consequential items and offer nothing substantial of her own.

zeus3925
10-16-2009, 11:08 AM
Kinky Friedman is my man.:D

BonMallari
10-16-2009, 12:11 PM
KBH and Rick Perry are both what is wrong in American politics...KBH is long time US Senator that now decides she wants to the Governor and live in State instead of DC. Rick Perry is taking advantage of the fact that he was made Gov. due to GWB becoming President, so he actually gets a shot at almost 2 1/2 terms....both are career politicians and need a retirement

code3retrievers
10-16-2009, 01:39 PM
Kinky Friedman is my man.:D

There's a surprise.

zeus3925
10-16-2009, 01:43 PM
There's a surprise.

Here's Kinky's website:

http://www.kinkyfriedman.com/

Goose
10-16-2009, 02:09 PM
Wow, this is gonna be good! I used to love following Texas politics, and this will certainly re-kindle. Last time I recall a battle of the sexes, it was Ann Richards verses Clayton Wheat Williams! It was close until a Wheat rally was rained out, and he was caught on open mike saying "rain is like rape, if you can't avoid it, might as well lay back and enjoy it." Gov. Richards was elected not long after.

Strange as it may sound, the media and other republicans seemed to be more outraged by his lack of gentlemanship when she extended her hand to him, and rather than shake hands, he turned and walked away.

It will be interesting to see if Kay Bailey uses Rick Perry's secession statements against him in the campaign?

I wouldn't worry about Kay Bailey using Perry's secession statements against him. Secession is more popular down here than you think and she wouldn't gain any traction with it. AMF to USA is what I say. I'm sure you recognize that.

Richards schooled Blatant Millions:) but without the stupid rape comment and his refusal to shake her hand he wins that race...no doubt.

Our Dear Leader is visiting Shrub's dad down in College Station today for some sort of volunteerism conference at his library. That should be interesting. Obama's not real popular in our state and H.W. has been pleading with everybody to be civil and courteous to our Dear Leader. Wish I could be down there for the fireworks and help organize the community against all of the fraud in government and the spending this President desires.

dnf777
10-16-2009, 02:33 PM
Our Dear Leader is visiting Shrub's dad down in College Station today for some sort of volunteerism conference at his library. That should be interesting. Obama's not real popular in our state and H.W. has been pleading with everybody to be civil and courteous to our Dear Leader. Wish I could be down there for the fireworks and help organize the community against all of the fraud in government and the spending this President desires.

Mr. H.W. Bush represents an endangered species. A statesman and a gentleman. And that's coming from someone who disagreed with much of his policies. He put his neck on the line during WWII, and did it again during his presidency by raising taxes. He only survived once. He has worked with his successor towards noble causes, and now with an unpopular president in his neck of the woods. He is what this country needs more of, no matter what letters are behind one's name.

YardleyLabs
10-16-2009, 03:08 PM
I'll second that.

M&K's Retrievers
10-16-2009, 11:51 PM
Mr. H.W. Bush represents an endangered species. A statesman and a gentleman. And that's coming from someone who disagreed with much of his policies. He put his neck on the line during WWII, and did it again during his presidency by raising taxes. He only survived once. He has worked with his successor towards noble causes, and now with an unpopular president in his neck of the woods. He is what this country needs more of, no matter what letters are behind one's name.

What has GB done not to earn the same respect. This should be good

JDogger
10-16-2009, 11:54 PM
I'll second that.

I'll respectfully disagree. Today GHWB came down on left-wing cable news in the persons of Olberman and Maddow. His name calling was as bad as the name calling he accussed them of.

JD

M&K's Retrievers
10-16-2009, 11:59 PM
I'll respectfully disagree. Today GHWB came down on left-wing cable news in the persons of Olberman and Maddow. His name calling was as bad as the name calling he accussed them of.

JD

And where might one hear this?

JDogger
10-17-2009, 12:24 AM
And where might one hear this?

Here you go. Now listen to the whole thing. More to come in the AM, I'm sure.

http://www.swamppolitics.com/news/politics/blog/2009/10/bush_41_olbermann_maddow_sick.html

JD

M&K's Retrievers
10-17-2009, 12:30 AM
Perry has done a relatively decent job as governor...pretty popular with the folks.

Hutchinson is a wealthy done-nothing but vote the party line Senator. But she is big in the Texas RP. For all her time in the senate, I can't recall her ever sponsoring any major legislation.

I'm with a lot of folks....Hutchinson has done nothing to deserve the governorship and Perry has done nothing to really lose it.

If the campaign runs true to form, Hutchinson will nitpick on in-consequential items and offer nothing substantial of her own.

What really PO's me is that KBH is giving up a much needed Senate seat to run against a fellow Republican. Geesh!

JDogger
10-17-2009, 12:30 AM
Yer online M&K. I'm waiting.

JDogger
10-17-2009, 12:35 AM
What really PO's me is that KBH is giving up a much needed Senate seat to run against a fellow Republican. Geesh!

Maybe another reformed conservative....

M&K's Retrievers
10-17-2009, 01:11 AM
Yer online M&K. I'm waiting.

Had to get a tick off of Angus. After watching all I can say is "Way to go George!". I'm still on line...

JDogger
10-17-2009, 01:42 AM
Had to get a tick off of Angus. After watching all I can say is "Way to go George!". I'm still on line...

Well then, we agree to disagree, I guess. :p
It's what makes RTF fun on a Friday night, in between watchin' 'Waterdog' and gettin ready to go out doin' some scoutin' on the Rio tomorrow. Saw the first sandhill cranes today. The ducks won't be far behind.

Good huntin'

JD

dnf777
10-17-2009, 06:58 AM
What has GB done not to earn the same respect. This should be good

Sorry M&K, I'm not biting on that one! Besides, if you're really wondering, there's no use trying to explain.

Well, I gotta go dig out my January hunting gear ,even though it's only October. Small game starts by the time I can get dressed.

YardleyLabs
10-17-2009, 07:06 AM
I agree with GHWB singling out "the cables". He should throw in the radio talk shows. Both have figured out how to make lots of money by being short on facts and reason, and long on opinion and emotion. While I believe that most of the hate mongers come from the right, the left is trying hard to catch up and is as mindless in its chatter as the right.

TXduckdog
10-19-2009, 09:22 AM
I agree with GHWB singling out "the cables". He should throw in the radio talk shows. Both have figured out how to make lots of money by being short on facts and reason, and long on opinion and emotion. While I believe that most of the hate mongers come from the right, the left is trying hard to catch up and is as mindless in its chatter as the right.

Mixed in with opinion and emotion are a TON OF FACTS that the Dem/Left don't want you to know and the regular media simply won't report.

If the "main-steam" media was doing its job properly and report NEWS instead of opinion and emotion, perhaps the cables and talk radio would not be getting the ratings they are.

Fox News may have conservatives working for them, but they consistently present competing views and put on opposing pundits. The regular news and the other cables rarely, if ever follow suit.

Gerry Clinchy
10-19-2009, 11:14 AM

While I don't disagree about the character of Bush Sr, at the time, part of what was used to defeat him for re-election was the famous "read my lips" quote about not raising taxes.

Which is more important? 1) Honoring the campaign promise? or 2) Doing what needs to be done, even if it is unpopular?

We sometimes get a better view of a President's achievements (or lack thereof), after time allows us to look at the record from a more unemotional perspective. Lincoln was not very well-liked, but history proved him a Pres of courage and character. JFK was a charismatic, popular Pres, but had he lived out his term(s), history might not have ended up treating him so well.

dnf777
10-19-2009, 11:43 AM
While I don't disagree about the character of Bush Sr, at the time, part of what was used to defeat him for re-election was the famous "read my lips" quote about not raising taxes.

Which is more important? 1) Honoring the campaign promise? or 2) Doing what needs to be done, even if it is unpopular?

We sometimes get a better view of a President's achievements (or lack thereof), after time allows us to look at the record from a more unemotional perspective. Lincoln was not very well-liked, but history proved him a Pres of courage and character. JFK was a charismatic, popular Pres, but had he lived out his term(s), history might not have ended up treating him so well.

Very true.
As for Mr. Bush's tax increase, it's interesting to point out that was the beginning of the largest expansion of the US economy in history, with job growth and deficit reductions that spilled over to Clinton. Not saying that was the cause, but it certainly dispels the common misconception that taxes automatically equate to financial doom.

He could survive being shot out of the sky by Japanese, but couldn't survive a modest tax increase upon his base.

Gerry Clinchy
10-19-2009, 02:28 PM
[quote=dnf777;513975]Very true.
As for Mr. Bush's tax increase, it's interesting to point out that was the beginning of the largest expansion of the US economy in history, with job growth and deficit reductions that spilled over to Clinton. Not saying that was the cause, but it certainly dispels the common misconception that taxes automatically equate to financial doom.
quote]

It would certainly be smart to carefully analyze what caused such a beneficial economic expansion. What could we do to make such an expansion happen again?

It was probably easier for people to suck up increase in taxes while everyone was doing well, than under today's economic conditions.

The mistake, it would appear, was not saving some of those surpluses for a rainy day ... but instead spending them right away.

I'm really expecting that at the end of this fiscal year the deficit will be larger than predicted. With tax credits like the $8000 for first-time buyers, more unemployed, etc. the tax revenues will be down. I'm betting the revenues will be down more than the slick DC accountants have led us to believe.

dnf777
10-20-2009, 07:54 AM
[quote=dnf777;513975]Very true.
quote]

It would certainly be smart to carefully analyze what caused such a beneficial economic expansion. What could we do to make such an expansion happen again?

It was probably easier for people to suck up increase in taxes while everyone was doing well, than under today's economic conditions.

The mistake, it would appear, was not saving some of those surpluses for a rainy day ... but instead spending them right away.

I'm really expecting that at the end of this fiscal year the deficit will be larger than predicted. With tax credits like the $8000 for first-time buyers, more unemployed, etc. the tax revenues will be down. I'm betting the revenues will be down more than the slick DC accountants have led us to believe.

You got my vote Gerry, if you ever decide to run for office!
If possible, and I doubt it, folks should look at the dramatic turnarounds that our economy has experienced, and try to sort out what happened, as you suggested. We sure had one helluva turnaround recently! Taking the names and parties out of the equation, what ECONOMIC POLICIES or other WORLD EVENTS triggered such an event? Like many phenomena, I doubt there is any one causative factor. The economy is so complex, like a living organism, it will be hard to break it down and analyze the component parts. Then of course, throw politics back onto the effort, because you never can really eliminate it!