PDA

View Full Version : $3500 tax credit for pets

kona's mom
10-19-2009, 01:02 PM
On Fox News this morning there was quite a discussion on the fact that a bill has been introduced in Congress to grant a $3,500 tax credit for pets to offset the cost of providing for the pets.

Personally, I don't think it will pass ... and, frankly, I hope it doesn't. If each of the 52 million pet owners received the tax credit of $3,500, it was mean an additional $3.5 billion loss to the U.S. Treasury when we are facing the largest deficit in history.

But to be honest, that is not my major reason for fear of this bill. I honestly believe if one digs deep enough you will find it is being sponsored by H$U$ supporters. I don't know for a fact and have not had a chance to verify my feelings.

The timing, the amount, the guise of "helping" pet owners does not ring true to me. What does ring true is that after a Federal Court reiterated that dogs are personal property (Louisville Kennel Club recent ruling), H$U$ has found a way to circumvent the Courts and presented a potential for removing pets as personal property and make the owners "guardians". The amount is high enough to be attractive (especially when you consider a parent of a child can only take a $1,000 credit per child) to garner support of the public and owners of pets, in particular.

Once a tax credit is established, the next step would be for H$U$ to claim we should all be named "guardians" to protect the investment of the US Government in our pets I can see this "gift" opening all kinds of doors, each of which will come with it's own "string" probably suggested by H$U$ to one of its friends in Congress.

Please take the time to tract down the bill and speak to your Senators and Representatives to understand how they see the bill. Give them your input after studying the proposal.

YardleyLabs
10-19-2009, 01:49 PM
HR 3501 sponsored by Republican Congressman Thaddeus McCotter from Michigan, would provide a tax deduction (not credit) of up to $3500 for expenses incurred for care of a pet. The bill has be co-sponsored by two Democrats: Steve Cohen of Memphis, TN, and Jared Polis in Colorado. The bill was introduced in July, and referred to Ways & Means (normal for all tax bills) where nothing has happened. In September, McCotter sent out as letter to all members of Congress trying to get more co-sponsors. The formal name of the bill would be the Humanity and Pets Partnered Through the Years (HAPPY) Act (blechhh!). It would apply to general expenses of pet maintenance, but not pet purchase. Deductions would not be permitted for animals owned in conjuction with a business or trade or for which a tax deduction had otherwise been claimed as a business expense (i.e., breeding stock would not count).

I don't think this has any chance of passing, simply because it would be expensive and is stupid, but who knows......

road kill
10-19-2009, 01:51 PM
HR 3501 sponsored by Republican Congressman Thaddeus McCotter from Michigan, would provide a tax deduction (not credit) of up to $3500 for expenses incurred for care of a pet. The bill has be co-sponsored by two Democrats: Steve Cohen of Memphis, TN, and Jared Polis in Colorado. The bill was introduced in July, and referred to Ways & Means (normal for all tax bills) where nothing has happened. In September, McCotter sent out as letter to all members of Congress trying to get more co-sponsors. The formal name of the bill would be the Humanity and Pets Partnered Through the Years (HAPPY) Act (blechhh!). It would apply to general expenses of pet maintenance, but not pet purchase. Deductions would not be permitted for animals owned in conjuction with a business or trade or for which a tax deduction had otherwise been claimed as a business expense (i.e., breeding stock would not count).

I don't think this has any chance of passing, simply because it would be expensive and is stupid, but who knows......
It's not stopping anything else!!:D

Robbie Coleman
10-19-2009, 02:07 PM
Expensive and Stupid seems to be how they determine to pass things these days.

dnf777
10-19-2009, 04:40 PM
You gotta be kidding! That is the most retarded piece of legislation I've ever heard!
What next? Debt relief for neutering?

luvalab
10-19-2009, 04:57 PM
Yeah, um, listen...

um, you see...

this is the first legislation that's ever been proposed that I haven't been too young or too old or too rich or too poor for... that didn't require the whole having a child thing...

I know it's wrong, but... I can dream, can't I?

:oops:

(Like anybody is taking this seriously. I think I heard his brother-in-law is director of a shelter or something. It's some gesture or something.)

TXduckdog
10-19-2009, 06:33 PM

Is there ANYTHING this Congress proposes that is NOT expensive and stupid?

YardleyLabs
10-19-2009, 08:35 PM
Is there ANYTHING this Congress proposes that is NOT expensive and stupid?
You noticed , of course, that this bill was sponsored by a Republican.:rolleyes:

M&K's Retrievers
10-19-2009, 10:10 PM
So what? The idea is to clean house in 2010 regardless the side of the aisle.

TXduckdog
10-20-2009, 07:48 AM
Like I said...."this congress".....who gives a darn about "RINO's"....it's CONSERVATIVE that is important.

If you're stupid enough to propose such trash....you deserve to get fired.

zeus3925
10-20-2009, 08:03 AM
Watch them attach it to a bill that is sure to pass and you will have an earmark. Line item veto, please!

luvmylabs23139
10-20-2009, 08:40 AM
Ya know, as someone who does not have kids, there is a part of me that actually feels that maybe if they said deduct kids or pets I could go for it.
Everytime they say they are helping the middle class, republican or democrat, they have done nothing for me.
I just end up paying for other people's kids.
I've been trying for years to figure out how to even out child credits, child care credits etc.

Julie R.
10-20-2009, 09:24 AM
Ya know, as someone who does not have kids, there is a part of me that actually feels that maybe if they said deduct kids or pets I could go for it.
Everytime they say they are helping the middle class, republican or democrat, they have done nothing for me.
I just end up paying for other people's kids.
I've been trying for years to figure out how to even out child credits, child care credits etc.

Except that as noted it opens the door for PETA & H$U$ to take away ownership of your pets so you're only guardian of them. Then you'd go to jail for hunting them or training with an ecollar or hell, even a choke collar. Then you wouldn't need to worry about tax deductions ;-).

luvmylabs23139
10-20-2009, 09:38 AM
Except that as noted it opens the door for PETA & H$U$ to take away ownership of your pets so you're only guardian of them. Then you'd go to jail for hunting them or training with an ecollar or hell, even a choke collar. Then you wouldn't need to worry about tax deductions ;-).

Maybe my grave but not jail.