PDA

View Full Version : Galvanized water bowl

Fowl Play WA
10-25-2009, 09:25 AM
I remember reading somewhere (or I think I remember) someone saying that using a galvanized bucket was not safe or healthy? Does anyone have any info on this?

We ended up with one for Harleigh's trick or treat bucket and she wants to use it for 4-H and fair. I'm all for it, but I can't help but think that I read it's unsafe somewhere.

cpj
10-25-2009, 04:54 PM
I have a fifteen year old (lab) that has lapped out of a galvanized bucket his whole life. He is still very healthy.

RedstarKennels
10-25-2009, 05:04 PM
All my Horse Water Tanks are galvanized..and no problems in 35+ years...
Now the Ole tyme Work Horse guys had a trick ..where they put a piece of Zinc in the water buckets to keep the mares from coming into heat...
My Grandfather swore by it...???

Fowl Play WA
10-26-2009, 07:51 AM
Thanks. (too short)

TN_LAB
10-26-2009, 09:02 AM
I think the real issue with the galvanized stuff is if/when it's heated and used for cooking.

Lots of debate over on the BBQ websites about folks creating BBQ pits from galvanized trash cans and such.

I think a dog bowl is fine (if not there's a lot of cow farmers that'll be filing a class action lawsuit).

jimboburnsy
10-26-2009, 10:46 AM
I remember reading somewhere (or I think I remember) someone saying that using a galvanized bucket was not safe or healthy? Does anyone have any info on this?

We ended up with one for Harleigh's trick or treat bucket and she wants to use it for 4-H and fair. I'm all for it, but I can't help but think that I read it's unsafe somewhere.

My entire family has been drinking from galvanized pipes for over 30 years. No complaints thus far.

A galvanized bucket is probably hot dipped. That process has been used for almost a century in domestic plumbing applications and I don't think any negative health issues have been linked to it. I seriously doubt that a dog drinking from a galvanized bucket has any increased risk to its health.

huntinman
10-26-2009, 11:24 AM
My entire family has been drinking from galvanized pipes for over 30 years. No complaints thus far.

No problems with the eye in the middle of your forehead?:)

jimboburnsy
10-26-2009, 11:43 AM
No problems with the eye in the middle of your forehead?:)

No 3rd eyes yet, but my father and I both have hairy backs... Coincidence?

Jason Glavich
10-27-2009, 08:04 AM
I think the real issue with the galvanized stuff is if/when it's heated and used for cooking.

Lots of debate over on the BBQ websites about folks creating BBQ pits from galvanized trash cans and such.

I think a dog bowl is fine (if not there's a lot of cow farmers that'll be filing a class action lawsuit).

This is true. When you heat galvanized metal which contains zinc and lead it releases or becomes however you say it, zinc oxide gas, i might have the term wrong. It can cause neurological problems,conditions like the zinc shakes or anohter disease of the same sort.

Lived in a small town with alot of people who made stuff out of what they had avaiable and sometimes it was this stuff and some of them show the effects of inhaling this stuff.

As for the question asked, as long as what is being drank out of it is water it is fine. If the liquid was acidic in any way then it could cause same issues in water form but adding in lead to the equation.

Fowl Play WA
10-27-2009, 08:07 AM
Thanks. Harleigh got a galvanized pail for her trick or treat bucket and insists that she will use it when she does 4-H stuff with which ever dog she ends up taking. I just wanted to make sure that even when used temporarily used it wouldn't poison the dog. Water wouldn't even sit in it. Doesn't sound like it's a problem. Some things aren't workth arguing about.

Ken Bora
10-27-2009, 08:15 AM
A galvanized bucket is probably hot dipped.

Donít know nothing about Zink gases, third eyes, Texas plumbing or heating chewing tobacco. I do know maple syrup. NOBODY gathers fresh sap in galvanized tanks any more. Farmers used to use the old oval stock tanks, no more. It gives the sap a flavor. So that means something is washing off into the sap. If you wanna drink Zink? Probably chocked full of vitamins;-)

Jason Glavich
10-27-2009, 08:20 AM
I do know maple syrup. NOBODY gathers fresh sap in galvanized tanks any more. Farmers used to use the old oval stock tanks, no more. It gives the sap a flavor.

Slight acidic nature of sap, would cause it to bring out the lead and zinc "flavor"