PDA

View Full Version : Does Dick Cheney have Alzheimers?

Roger Perry
11-03-2009, 05:57 AM
Dick Cheney: Sorry, I just don't remember (72 times)

http://www.capitolhillblue.com/files/110209cheneyap.jpg

Cheney: I am, therefore I forget (AP)

By PETE YOST

Federal prosecutor Patrick Fitzgerald famously declared in the Valerie Plame affair that "there is a cloud over the vice president." Last week's release of an FBI interview summary of Dick Cheney's answers in the criminal investigation underscores why Fitzgerald felt that way.
On 72 occasions, according to the 28-page FBI summary, Cheney equivocated to the FBI during his lengthy May 2004 interview, saying he could not be certain in his answers to questions about matters large and small in the Plame controversy.
The Cheney interview reflects a team of prosecutors and FBI agents trying to find out whether the leaks of Plame's CIA identity were orchestrated at the highest level of the White House and carried out by, among others, I. Lewis "Scooter" Libby, Cheney's chief of staff.

http://www.capitolhillblue.com/node/20132

road kill
11-03-2009, 06:41 AM
That is almost as bad as going to the same church for 20 + years and not knowing what the minister preaches!!

Rev. Wright regards!!

Buzz
11-03-2009, 08:09 AM
That is almost as bad as going to the same church for 20 + years and not knowing what the minister preaches!!

Rev. Wright regards!!

Love the false equivalence.

road kill
11-03-2009, 08:10 AM
Love the false equivalence.

What's false about it?

Just that you don't like it.

BTW--Know anyone with Alzheimers??
Pretty rude cheap shot, but then what else you got??

Bob Gutermuth
11-03-2009, 08:55 AM
The current POTUS hung out with terrorist Bill Ayers and denied knowing the man after a number of years.

dnf777
11-03-2009, 09:45 AM
Sometimes the line between sarcasm as medical reality blurs. If that was a political shot, then it may have be insensitive. If it was a true medical question, then it has legitimacy. Ronald Reagan, in hindsight was likely suffering from the early signs and symptoms of Alzheimer's disease, especially in his last term. That certainly can explain the lack short-term recall of events in the Whitehouse, "sun-downing" during cabinet meetings, and the appearance of confusion at times, and perfect lucidity at others.

Mr. Cheney, as we all know, has been plagued with heart conditions most of his adult life, including atrial fibrillation. Lacunar infarcts are small areas of brain tissue that have died as a result of micro-emboli, often the result of A-fib. This can mimick Alzheimer's disease quite remarkably. Brain imaging is one way of sorting lacunar infarcts from Alzheimer's dementia. I'm sure he's had these work-ups, but we are not privvy to them. If any of this comes to trial, it may become part of the public record, if invoked as a defense to perjury. (apparently numerous people have offered sworn testimony that he indeed did engage in discussions and directvies regarding the Plame/Wilson scandal.) That was either a good question, or a cheap shot!

Buzz
11-03-2009, 09:51 AM
Just that you don't like it.

BTW--Know anyone with Alzheimers??

My grandmother died from it. Thanks for asking.

BonMallari
11-03-2009, 10:03 AM
My mother who God bless her will be 97 on the 29th of this month has Alzheimers,so I too think the reference to Dick Cheney having this dreadful disease is in poor taste also..

ducknwork
11-03-2009, 10:50 AM
My mother who God bless her will be 97 on the 29th of this month has Alzheimers,so I too think the reference to Dick Cheney having this dreadful disease is in poor taste also..

Yep, watching my 84 year old grandma go through it now. It's even tougher watching my mom try to deal with her own mother, who was such a strong woman, fall apart day by day.

Roger, have you ever seen someone in their own home have NO clue where they are? How about still asking when a husband of 65 years is coming home from work a year after his death? Have you heard someone say "This doesn't taste good." only to find out they are eating a hearing aid?

Steve Amrein
11-03-2009, 11:48 AM
Roger Your obsesion with Bush and Chaney are bordering needing profesional help. Are your constant attacks a cry for help ? This is not a personal attack but a question out of concern.

dnf777
11-03-2009, 12:07 PM
Roger Your obsesion with Bush and Chaney are bordering needing profesional help. Are your constant attacks a cry for help ? This is not a personal attack but a question out of concern.

Like I mentioned, maybe the Alzheimers reference was "not a personal attack on Cheney, but a question out of concern." We had one president who in hindsight was governing with Alzheimer's dementia. Saying "I don't remember" 72 times in one setting is a red flag. This is not old hat anyway, this story just broke less than 24 hours ago.

Pete
11-03-2009, 12:27 PM
No more jokes about anything,, some one somewhere has been through the brunt of those jokes whatever they are. I even know blond woman who resemble those blond jokes. Dont change it to red heads either,,there are just as many red heads who are like blonds,, so no more jokes,or sarcasm,, we must be like robots OK.

Everybody take a deep breath

Pete

ducknwork
11-03-2009, 01:11 PM
There's a difference between joking about serious things and things that are not so serious.

BTW, don't forget to rule out brunettes for those outlawed jokes!:)

Buzz
11-03-2009, 02:12 PM
I doubt that Cheney has Alzheimer's, I think he merely implemented the "Sgt. Schultz defense.

Hew
11-03-2009, 03:08 PM
72 times? That's it?!?! Sheet, Dick had a looooong way to got to beat this record-setting performance: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRXFpHH0ClY

dnf777
11-03-2009, 03:45 PM
72 times? That's it?!?! Sheet, Dick had a looooong way to got to beat this record-setting performance: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRXFpHH0ClY

So can we agree that both Bill Clinton and Dick Cheney are telling us whoppers? That one screwed an intern, and the other screwed the country and neither want to 'fess up? We might have our second "agreement" if you're willing!! :D

Roger Perry
11-03-2009, 04:50 PM
Yep, watching my 84 year old grandma go through it now. It's even tougher watching my mom try to deal with her own mother, who was such a strong woman, fall apart day by day.

Roger, have you ever seen someone in their own home have NO clue where they are? How about still asking when a husband of 65 years is coming home from work a year after his death? Have you heard someone say "This doesn't taste good." only to find out they are eating a hearing aid?

Why, yes I have, my Mother.

Hew
11-03-2009, 04:56 PM
So can we agree that both Bill Clinton and Dick Cheney are telling us whoppers? That one screwed an intern, and the other screwed the country and neither want to 'fess up? We might have our second "agreement" if you're willing!! :D
I dunno. I've been deposed a few times for work-related stuff and even after reviewing my notes (which I thought were copious) prior to the depo, and despite leading a mundane and uneventful life, I've answered "I don't recall" more than I'd care to admit. I can totally understand why a VP or Prez, given all the stuff that crosses their desk every day, wouldn't recall uneventful events (relative to the other stuff they're involved in) that occured years before. I wouldn't bet money that either one of them wasn't lying at some points in the questioning, but then again, just because they said they didn't recall something doesn't mean that they were lying, either.

That's at the heart of Libby's prosecution...Libby remembered conversations differently than Tim Russert and Judith Miller. Benign and meaningless conversations (again, relative to all the other things they do and see on a given day) recollected years after the fact. Libby's prosecution was BS. Bush should have granted him complete amnesty. Fitzgerald's whole investigation was conducted nearly in its entirety AFTER he knew who the "leaker" was, and after he knew that the "leak" was nothing more than idle inside-the-beltway chit-chat.

Roger Perry
11-03-2009, 04:59 PM

Actually this is a news item released today: note the date

Dick Cheney: Sorry, I just don't remember (72 times)

November 3, 2009 - 12:29am

Federal prosecutor Patrick Fitzgerald famously declared in the Valerie Plame affair that "there is a cloud over the vice president." Last week's release of an FBI interview summary of Dick Cheney's answers in the criminal investigation underscores why Fitzgerald felt that way.

After all, after being asked 72 different questions and answering 72 times "I don't remember", something has to be wrong with his memory.

So, I ask again, does Dick Cheney have Alzheimer's?

road kill
11-03-2009, 05:06 PM

I didn't know Cheney screwed an intern??:rolleyes:

Roger Perry
11-03-2009, 05:11 PM
I can totally understand why a VP or Prez, given all the stuff that crosses their desk every day, wouldn't recall uneventful events (relative to the other stuff they're involved in) that occured years before. I wouldn't bet money that either one of them wasn't lying at some points in the questioning, but then again, just because they said they didn't recall something doesn't mean that they were lying, either.

The story that was just release was referring to Cheney's "interview" that took place in May, 2004 about something that happened in September, 2003 so it is not about something that happened "years ago" when the "interview" took place. It was just 8 months before, not years.

On 72 occasions, according to the 28-page FBI summary, Cheney equivocated to the FBI during his lengthy May 2004 interview, saying he could not be certain in his answers to questions about matters large and small in the Plame controversy.

Libby's own handwritten notes suggest Libby found out from Cheney. When Libby discovered Cheney's reference to Plame and the CIA in his notes — notes that Libby knew he would soon have to turn over to the FBI — the chief of staff went to the vice president, probably in late September or early October 2003.

charly_t
11-03-2009, 06:49 PM
I feel qualified to shed some light on this since I am old and my memory does not work well sometimes. Some days things do not come up on my "screen" at all. Having taken a series of classes on alzheimers and dementias in the distant past has also helped with the way I look at them. Some thing impress us and some don't (we remember the ones that impress us a little better but details are not sharp). My own family was not troubled with any form of dementia but my husband's Aunt and an uncle (a sis and a brother) had something in their later years. Their problems were different in some respects. Neither did well when they had to leave the home/house for any reason. Most people did not realize that they had any problem in their early stages of whatever it was that they had. The uncle got where he did not know his own wife nor family members and ran off numerous times. The Aunt did not do that but hubby and I spent some time caring for her so we saw things first hand. We had Friday evening through Tues. Morning. Mostly my husband did this but sometimes I went up with him. If I left any clothing hanging there in their house she gave it away. Ticks were really bad one year so hubby bought spray to use the next time we went up. She moved it and of course did not remember even seeing it. As to the ex vice prez I have no idea about his brain etc. I long ago gave up voting for a demo. or a repub. for prez or vice prez.

charly_t

K G
11-03-2009, 07:16 PM
Roger, seriously....you need to get a grip on reality....spend a few moments in "the now" and you'll find we have a new Vice President....

kg

road kill
11-04-2009, 06:06 AM
Roger, seriously....you need to get a grip on reality....spend a few moments in "the now" and you'll find we have a new Vice President....

kg

He forgot!!;-)

Roger Perry
11-04-2009, 07:18 AM

kg

I like keeping tabs on the last administration since they keep popping up in the news. I would like them to get all the credit they deserve.

K G
11-04-2009, 07:24 AM
I'd like for the DJIA to be back at 14k+ but that's not likely to happen either...

Roger, you are the "Eeyore" of Potus Place....;-)

kg

Roger Perry
11-04-2009, 07:32 AM
I'd like for the DJIA to be back at 14k+ but that's not likely to happen either...

kg

Keep your eye on the DJIA, it will get there.

Thank you for the compliment, whatever Eeyore means.

cotts135
11-04-2009, 07:59 AM

Rev. Wright regards!!

Except in one they were investigating a crime and in the other the content of Sermons. Big difference.

subroc
11-04-2009, 08:10 AM
Except in one they were investigating a crime and in the other the content of Sermons. Big difference.

True enough. I guess in your world honesty is only required when you are under oath?

ducknwork
11-04-2009, 08:15 AM

kg

We should be so lucky...Eeyore sleeps all the time, doesn't he?

Pete
11-04-2009, 08:28 AM
Except in one they were investigating a crime and in the other the content of Sermons. Big difference

You would call those sermons. I think they are flirting with criminal behaviors. Like maby treason. GD america,,,boy sounds so warm and fuzzy

Pete

ducknwork
11-04-2009, 08:30 AM
You would call those sermons. I think they are flirting with criminal behaviors. Like maby treason. GD america,,,boy sounds so warm and fuzzy

Pete

It makes me want to turn to God. You don't feel the same way?:confused:

cotts135
11-04-2009, 12:02 PM
True enough. I guess in your world honesty is only required when you are under oath?
Your really much better off not trying to figure out what goes on in my world.
:D:D:D:D

subroc
11-04-2009, 02:10 PM
Well, you made the distinction between the two, I just illustrated that they are the same. Your world or mine.

road kill
11-04-2009, 07:04 PM
Except in one they were investigating an alledged crime (and I will hope the get the dirty sob, wether any actually happened or not because I just HATE him) and in the other the content of Sermons (which is OK cause Obama said he didn't know what he said). Big difference.

There, FIXED!!:D

cotts135
11-05-2009, 06:11 AM
There, FIXED!!:D

Here is your original quote :

"That is almost as bad as going to the same church for 20 + years and not knowing what the minister preaches!!"

My comment was not on the appropriateness of lying but on the equivalency of the two. Now if you think that deliberately misleading or stonewalling a felony investigation is the same as saying you forgot some sermons from your church over the course of 20 years then we are going to disagree.

This is what Obama did say:

The statements that Rev. Wright made that are the cause of this controversy were not statements I personally heard him preach while I sat in the pews of Trinity or heard him utter in private conversation. When these statements first came to my attention, it was at the beginning of my presidential campaign. I made it clear at the time that I strongly condemned his comments. But because Rev. Wright was on the verge of retirement, and because of my strong links to the Trinity faith community, where I married my wife and where my daughters were baptized, I did not think it appropriate to leave the church.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/barack-obama/on-my-faith-and-my-church_b_91623.html&cp

road kill
11-05-2009, 06:34 AM
Here is your original quote :

My comment was not on the appropriateness of lying but on the equivalency of the two. Now if you think that deliberately misleading or stonewalling a felony investigation is the same as saying you forgot some sermons from your church over the course of 20 years then we are going to disagree.

This is what Obama did say:

The statements that Rev. Wright made that are the cause of this controversy were not statements I personally heard him preach while I sat in the pews of Trinity or heard him utter in private conversation. When these statements first came to my attention, it was at the beginning of my presidential campaign. I made it clear at the time that I strongly condemned his comments. But because Rev. Wright was on the verge of retirement, and because of my strong links to the Trinity faith community, where I married my wife and where my daughters were baptized, I did not think it appropriate to leave the church.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/barack-obama/on-my-faith-and-my-church_b_91623.html&cp
Prove that has occurred.
You can't, neither can anyone else, this is based on your hatred for the Bush administration.
My post was in regard to convenient memory loss.

I assumed you could figure that out, my bad!!:rolleyes:

subroc
11-05-2009, 06:36 AM
If you believe what obama said is true, after listening to 20 years of wrights sermons, you shouldn't have a hard time believing what Vice President Dick Cheney said.

dnf777
11-05-2009, 09:50 AM
If you believe what obama said is true, after listening to 20 years of wrights sermons, you shouldn't have a hard time believing what Vice President Dick Cheney said.

I slept through 20 years of Sermons. In my younger days, I was usually not at my "best" on Sunday mornings! ;)

ducknwork
11-05-2009, 10:35 AM
I slept through 20 years of Sermons. In my younger days, I was usually not at my "best" on Sunday mornings! ;)

Good point. Maybe Obama saved Saturday nights for his admitted cocaine usage. In that case, it's understandable that he wouldn't remember what Wright said.

Roger Perry
11-05-2009, 10:48 AM
Good point. Maybe Obama saved Saturday nights for his admitted cocaine usage. In that case, it's understandable that he wouldn't remember what Wright said.

Talking about drug usage, maybe that is why GW made so many irrational decisions.
Illegal drugs
Bush has refused to discuss speculation that he has used illegal drugs, but has said that when his father became president in 1989 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_presidential_election,_1988) and required White House employees to affirm that they had not used illegal drugs for 15 years, he would have passed that test.[13] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_W._Bush_substance_abuse_controversy#cite_no te-12)[14] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_W._Bush_substance_abuse_controversy#cite_no te-mapinc-13)
A conversation between Bush and an old friend, author Doug Wead (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doug_Wead), touched on the subject of use of illegal drugs. In the taped recording of the conversation, Bush explained his refusal to answer questions about whether he had used marijuana (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannabis_(drug)) at some time in his past. “I wouldn’t answer the dope questions,” Bush says. “You know why? Because I don’t want some little kid doing what I tried.”[15] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_W._Bush_substance_abuse_controversy#cite_no te-14) When Wead reminded Bush of his earlier public denial of using cocaine (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cocaine), Bush replied, "I haven't denied anything."[16] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_W._Bush_substance_abuse_controversy#cite_no te-15)

subroc
11-05-2009, 10:48 AM

That's it! Thats all you got!!!