PDA

View Full Version : Please habla English!

dnf777
11-04-2009, 03:47 PM
Don't mean to be racist at all, but I just want to be able to understand the evening news without a Rosetta Stone Spanish! I wrote to CNN to inform them they have lost a part-time viewer, because Rick Sanchez (vehicular homicide fugitive, as far as I'm concerned) was granting an interview in Spanish today at 3:45. I'm sure they don't care, as there is probably 500 new people per day in this country that want to hear that, and buy products advertised on CNN.

Buzz
11-04-2009, 03:50 PM
I have not been able to stomach CNN for quite some time now. Probably since the time that Anderson Cooper got his own show.

subroc
11-04-2009, 04:32 PM
Intersting. I guess I don't really care if they conduct an interview in spanish. Just like everything else, if I don't want to watch, I just change the channel. If I can't understand it, I just change the channel.

So, dnf777 what channel will you view as a part time solution?

Buzz, If not cnn what is your channel of choice?

dnf777
11-04-2009, 04:56 PM
I have MSNBC, CNN, Jim Leher, Fox in my surf box. (listed left to right, as I see it, with MSNBC and Fox as the bookends) Radio has become so polarized I don't think anyone can see the center from where they're at, left or right)

RADIO: Radical and Divisive Information and Opinion

Franco
11-04-2009, 05:06 PM
RADIO: Radical and Divisive Information and Opinion

That is funny!

Limbaugh, the savior of a.m. radio has listeners (Hannity too) that think they are Conservatives.

Yes, radio talk shows lean right because the left won't listen to Leftist talk radio. Whereas the right has pretty well defined their issues, the left is all over the place with thier isues and they don't agree amongst themselves. They only agreed that Republican politicians had to go.

Now, moderates are abandoning the Dems because they see the looming economic disater they are building.

Bob Gutermuth
11-04-2009, 05:26 PM
Odd isn't it that when people vote with their dialing finger, they go to conservative talk radio in droves, yet they avoided leftist Air america like the swine flu?

Roger Perry
11-04-2009, 06:01 PM
Odd isn't it that when people vote with their dialing finger, they go to conservative talk radio in droves, yet they avoided leftist Air america like the swine flu?

I refuse to listen to political talk shows either left or right. If you want some good listening tune into real radio (the love doctors) Rich Glenn and Lexxus monday through friday 11:00 A.M. to 3 P.M. You can find them by googling either 94.3 fm or lovedoctores.org. It is good entertainment, but you may have to listen for a week or so in order to get what the show is about. (non political talk radio) Better than lex and terry.

Steve
11-04-2009, 06:53 PM
That is funny!

Yes, radio talk shows lean right because the left won't listen to Leftist talk radio.

Most of those on the left are not ideological. They are more apathetic than anything else. They spend their time watching Sponge Bob or Dancing with the Stars.

JDogger
11-04-2009, 11:46 PM
Don't mean to be racist at all, but I just want to be able to understand the evening news without a Rosetta Stone Spanish! I wrote to CNN to inform them they have lost a part-time viewer, because Rick Sanchez (vehicular homicide fugitive, as far as I'm concerned) was granting an interview in Spanish today at 3:45. I'm sure they don't care, as there is probably 500 new people per day in this country that want to hear that, and buy products advertised on CNN.

Learn a little Spanish.

It isn't going to happen....!

It's already happened! Here in NM, 400 years ago.

170 some years ago, Stephen Watts Kearney stood in the plaza in Las Vegas, NM and said to the assembled, "Ya'll American citizens now.

And, they bought it. Some of the greatest American heroes came from NM. The Bataan Death March were a lot of NM Hispanics.
The Navajo Code Talkers were Native NM's.

I watch the news, not only the english language cable channels, but on the spanish language channels as well.

If you feel threatened, you should not. The Americas are not just the USA, but N. and S. and Central A. and Canada as well.

OK, I've stepped into it...bring on the flames. :D

JD

PS Man, I might regret this.

PPS How come it seems everyone posts during the work hours?

dnf777
11-05-2009, 06:01 AM
JDogger,
No flames here, but I do disagree. I'm of Italian descent, but don't want the news channels broadcasting in Italian any time Burlisconi happens to be in the news. Or everytime a Chinese businessman is interviewed, listen to chinese.

All I'm asking is to standarize our language publically, to facilitate the exhcange of information. Speak, eat, do whatever in private. I would fully encourage keeping culture alive. I would be able to speak Italian if it weren't beaten out of my parents and grandparents by nuns at the Catholic schools back in the day.

ducknwork
11-05-2009, 07:38 AM
I refuse to listen to political talk shows either left or right. If you want some good listening tune into real radio (the love doctors) Rich Glenn and Lexxus monday through friday 11:00 A.M. to 3 P.M. You can find them by googling either 94.3 fm or lovedoctores.org. It is good entertainment, but you may have to listen for a week or so in order to get what the show is about. (non political talk radio) Better than lex and terry.

Lex and Terry is trash and I choose not to subject myself to such vile drivel. If this other show is anything similar to them, I certainly wouldn't be interested. I think that what you listen to tells as much about you as the people you choose to associate with. If you like crap like Lex and Terry, that tells me all I need to know.

Hey, make sure you get to bed early so you can wake up early enough to catch 'Drunk Bitch Friday' tomorrow!

Bob Gutermuth
11-05-2009, 08:49 AM
Just another good reason to switch to Fox, where all the on air personalities speak English.

road kill
11-05-2009, 08:58 AM
Why on earth would you want to make people speak english in America??

GEEZ!!:D

ducknwork
11-05-2009, 09:33 AM
Why on earth would you want to make people speak english in America??

To make lawyers richer by trying more discrimination cases.:rolleyes:

zeus3925
11-05-2009, 12:14 PM
While I firmly believe the lingua franca of the US should be English, I believe the cultural diversity of this country has always provided huge benefits to the country. Everything from cuisine to the code talkers.

It is a shame that schools stamped out foreign and Native American languages in this country. It really impairs our ability to trade with and relate to the rest of the world.

Franco
11-05-2009, 01:37 PM
I think that what you listen to tells as much about you as the people you choose to associate with.

I spend most of my radio listening time listening to something useful, my local ESPN radio affiliate!

I'm a regular caller on the local sport shows and really like the Terico and Van Pelt Show. I hate Collin Cowhead's show but listen to it anyway. Collin is such a jaded fool thinking the Big 12 is better than the SEC and that the Saints can't win in the Meadowlands during the playoffs. Little does he realize that playoffs will NOT be in the Meadowlands but in domes, as in Metro and Super domes!

subroc
11-05-2009, 06:54 PM
I spend most of my radio listening time listening to something useful, my local ESPN radio affiliate!

I listen to sports radio for the most part as well. Maybe once a week I will tune in to Rush.

We have pretty good Boston sports radio - WEEI.

Leddyman
11-06-2009, 10:19 AM
Lo siento senor no intiendo lo que estas diciendo. Creo que eres un maleducado.

JDogger
11-06-2009, 10:31 AM
Lo siento senor no intiendo lo que estas diciendo. Creo que eres un maleducado.

¿Qué significa intiendo

ducknwork
11-06-2009, 11:57 AM
Estoy aqui solamente por la cerveza. Donde estas mi cerveza?

Leddyman
11-06-2009, 01:57 PM
¿Qué significa intiendo

What you just wrote means "what does intiendo mean?"
To answer the above question. Intiendo means understand.

Yo estaba chismeando, pero olvide que los liberales no tienen senso de humor.

Lit. Trans.
I was joking, but I forgot liberals have no sense of humor.

JDogger
11-07-2009, 04:08 AM
What you just wrote means "what does intiendo mean?"
To answer the above question. Intiendo means understand.

Yo estaba chismeando, pero olvide que los liberales no tienen senso de humor.

Lit. Trans.
I was joking, but I forgot liberals have no sense of humor.

Ahh...you meant entiendo. I understand.

Los liberales tienen un setido del humor, los conservadores no puede significar para basura.:p

BTW
chismear [chis-may-ar’]
article & verb transitive 1. To tattle, to carry tales, to misrepresent, to misreport, to tell tales.

(A conservative trait, to be sure.)

joking
joking [you-kin] sustantivo 1. Chanza, burla, chiste.
2. Burlón/ona, bromista (tone).

Apart joking -> bromas aparte, hablando en serio
He’s not in a joking mood -> no está para bromas

Hey! If we keep it up we might make PP bi-lingual. Don't tell me I don't have a sense of humor:)

Con paciencia y saliva,
el burro hasta a el elephante.