PDA

View Full Version : New "Holiday" stamps

firehouselabs
11-06-2009, 12:46 PM
Ok, so I needed just one stamp for a letter/final payment for a pup, so I went to our local post office where a friend of mine works. As we were talking about a BBQ that they are having this weekend, she hands me a stamp and I slap it on the letter and down the mail chute it goes. The stamp was pretty with what looked to be a Christmas tree made out of swirling gold ribbon and the word "Greetings" on the bottom. At the top of the stamp was the letters "EID". I asked Marion what the letters stood for since I figured it was some new postal code for the "forever" stamps. She leaned over the counter and whispered, "read it backwards". I thought about the letters and rearranged them in my head and was shocked. She then told me that it was a Muslim holiday stamp. They had stamps for Kawanza, The Virgin Mary and Child for Christians, plus 3 other religous sects. No where on the other stamps were any words or messages that could be taken negatively by any other religion. Marion stated that they were getting a lot of compliants and that I should go to the website for the US post office and complain about it as well.
I am sick and tired of hearing how we hate the muslim community. If this is the message that they want to portray and send out to the American people than they should reap what they sow. So thank you US Muslims. Thanks for relaying your message not only to me but also to any recipienents of my outgoing mail. Thanks for taking a joyous time of year and polluting it with words of terror. Oh, and a BIG THANK YOU to our wonderful goverment for helping further the Muslim cause.
Totally disgusted,
Regards.

dnf777
11-06-2009, 01:42 PM
I'm not particularly fond of Muslims right now, given the Ft. Hood tragedy, but Eid is a Muslim holiday dating back hundreds of years. There is no hidden message here! There are plenty of other issues to be taken, but this is just a coincidence!

Eid ul-Fitr (Arabic: عيد الفطر ‘Īdu l-Fiṭr‎), often abbreviated to Eid, is a Muslim holiday that marks the end of Ramadan, the Islamic holy month of fasting. Eid is an Arabic word meaning "festivity", while Fiṭr means "to break fast"; and so the holiday symbolizes the breaking of the fasting period. It is celebrated after the end of the Islamic month of Ramadan, on the first day of Shawwal.

I don't disagree with the theme of your gripe though, other than Eid is a legit holiday for them.

YardleyLabs
11-06-2009, 01:45 PM
Ok, so I needed just one stamp for a letter/final payment for a pup, so I went to our local post office where a friend of mine works. As we were talking about a BBQ that they are having this weekend, she hands me a stamp and I slap it on the letter and down the mail chute it goes. The stamp was pretty with what looked to be a Christmas tree made out of swirling gold ribbon and the word "Greetings" on the bottom. At the top of the stamp was the letters "EID". I asked Marion what the letters stood for since I figured it was some new postal code for the "forever" stamps. She leaned over the counter and whispered, "read it backwards". I thought about the letters and rearranged them in my head and was shocked. She then told me that it was a Muslim holiday stamp. They had stamps for Kawanza, The Virgin Mary and Child for Christians, plus 3 other religous sects. No where on the other stamps were any words or messages that could be taken negatively by any other religion. Marion stated that they were getting a lot of compliants and that I should go to the website for the US post office and complain about it as well.
I am sick and tired of hearing how we hate the Muslim community. If this is the message that they want to portray and send out to the American people than they should reap what they sow. So thank you US Muslims. Thanks for relaying your message not only to me but also to any recipienents of my outgoing mail. Thanks for taking a joyous time of year and polluting it with words of terror. Oh, and a BIG THANK YOU to our wonderful goverment for helping further the Muslim cause.
Totally disgusted,
Regards.
This stamp was issued in August of 2001 to celebrate two Muslim holidays -- Eid al-Fitr and Eid al-Adha. The word "eid" is a transliteration of the Arabic word for festval. You can see the postal service press release announcing the stamp at http://www.usps.com/news/2001/philatelic/sr01_054.htm. Attempting to assign English meanings to non-english words is just silly. Reversing the letters and suggesting that there is an intentional message of terror goes well beyond silly. As they say in Thailand, just go to Phuket -- a word pronounced foo-kay and referring to a large city in Southern Thailand, but also providing substantial amusement, if not concern to American tourists as they board a plane with the words "Phuket Air" emblazoned on the side.

http://jeffgoodwin.com/phuket.jpg

EDIT: Add photo

Bob Gutermuth
11-06-2009, 09:41 PM
A postal clerk tried to sell me one of those on 7Dec a few years ago. I would have rejected it on any other day but especially on 9-11 0r 12-7. I refused it and happily accepted a Chunnuka stamp instead.