PDA

View Full Version : Jobs 'Saved or Created' in Congressional Districts That Don't Exist

Eric Johnson
11-17-2009, 03:30 PM
http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/jobs-saved-created-congressional-districts-exist/story?id=9097853

http://tinyurl.com/ykta6vb

Human Error Blamed for Crediting New Stimulus Jobs to Nonexistent Places
By JONATHAN KARL
Nov. 16, 2009

Here's a stimulus success story: In Arizona's 15th congressional district, 30 jobs have been saved or created with just $761,420 in federal stimulus spending. At least that's what the Web site set up by the Obama administration to track the $787 billion stimulus says.

There's one problem, though: There is no 15th congressional district in Arizona; the state has only eight districts.

And ABC News has found many more entries for projects like this in places that are incorrectly identified.

-more-

road kill
11-17-2009, 04:02 PM
What an informed electorate!!

"Some recipients clearly don't know what congressional district they live in, so they appear to be just throwing in any number. We expected all along that recipients would make mistakes on their congressional districts, on jobs numbers, on award amounts, and so on. Human beings make mistakes," Pound said.

You can't make this stuff up folks!!

BTW--Makes your wonder where a lot of VOTES came from....don't it???:confused:

WaterDogRem
11-17-2009, 04:05 PM
What would we expect from government run programs? I'm sure reality is at least 1000(000)x worse than this case.

Eric Johnson
11-17-2009, 04:57 PM
Just as a point of order.....

If all those excuses were known, why weren't the claims checked? For all the money being thrown at the website, one would think they could check the data before it is uploaded rather than wait for the mistakes to be caught. Heck....that would be another job saved or created....a fact-checker.

Eric

road kill
11-17-2009, 05:02 PM
Just as a point of order.....

If all those excuses were known, why weren't the claims checked? For all the money being thrown at the website, one would think they could check the data before it is uploaded rather than wait for the mistakes to be caught. Heck....that would be another job saved or created....a fact-checker.

Eric
Ya think??:rolleyes:

Pete
11-17-2009, 05:28 PM
BTW--Makes your wonder where a lot of VOTES came from....don't it???

I do believe about 10 million votes came from the 9th through the 15th district in the state of Arizona:)

Its funny but why am I crying:( :p

Pete

Pete
11-17-2009, 05:32 PM
What would we expect from government run programs? I'm sure reality is at least 1000(000)x worse than this case.

Unfortunately I think your right,,, I think more crap and scams go on than we could ever dream in our worst night mare.
Pete

BrianW
11-17-2009, 08:33 PM
Districts? PBO don't need no stinkin districts! :rolleyes:

code3retrievers
11-17-2009, 09:07 PM
I am formally announcing my candidacy for AZ fifteenth district!

Maybe I should open an ACORN division in the fifteenth district so I can get some of that stimulus money instead.

Pals
11-17-2009, 09:56 PM
For a small fee you've got my vote! Wait-gimme a paper only job in your new acorn office, yeah that's the ticket....

Nate_C
11-17-2009, 10:24 PM
Rep. David Obey, D-Wisc, "The inaccuracies on recovery.gov that have come to light are outrageous and the Administration owes itself, the Congress, and every American a commitment to work night and day to correct the ludicrous mistakes."

Really, this is what you guys are going with. Recovery.org is not really tracking the money. That is up to the GAO. This is just a public relations website that allows people to self report. It is not that big of a deal. It should be fixed but it isn't a big deal.

I am a conservative, not a republican, and I am not a fan of Obama. However, when republicans. use words like outrageous on issue like this it takes away crediblity. I mean when did all of washington become 12 year old school girls.

Also no one is arguing that the stimulus was spent correctly right? No proof of that. Only that the district was mis-reported.

dback
11-17-2009, 11:04 PM
Rep. David Obey, D-Wisc, "The inaccuracies on recovery.gov that have come to light are outrageous and the Administration owes itself, the Congress, and every American a commitment to work night and day to correct the ludicrous mistakes."

Really, this is what you guys are going with. Recovery.org is not really tracking the money. That is up to the GAO. This is just a public relations website that allows people to self report. It is not that big of a deal. It should be fixed but it isn't a big deal.

I am a conservative, not a republican, and I am not a fan of Obama. However, when republicans. use words like outrageous on issue like this it takes away crediblity. I mean when did all of washington become 12 year old school girls.

Also no one is arguing that the stimulus was spent correctly right? No proof of that. Only that the district was mis-reported.

??????? I guess you're taking a shot at republicans.......you do know that the D in "D-Wisc" means that he's a Democrat??????

Eric Johnson
11-17-2009, 11:13 PM

Well... they reported jobs saved with a specific sum of money but....the report was erroneous. So....what did happen to the money?

Eric

Hew
11-18-2009, 12:54 AM
??????? I guess you're taking a shot at republicans.......you do know that the D in "D-Wisc" means that he's a Democrat??????
LOL. That left me scratching my head, too.

ducknwork
11-18-2009, 08:36 AM

ouch.......

K G
11-18-2009, 08:48 AM

The stimulus has been spent???? Where???? Where are all the infrastructure rebuilding jobs that were supposed to have been created??????

Can someone point me to an accounting of the stimulus being spent?

Hoping against hope that one exists regards,:rolleyes:

kg

Nate_C
11-18-2009, 09:05 AM
Wow you are right I never even looked at that. I just assumed. Sorry. Does he lose his club membership for saying that? My point still holds though. It is a bit over board. Like I said that website isn't really "tracking" the money. The General Accounting office does that. The new reporters are claiming that the money wasn't spend correctly, just that the district was reported incorrectly which I just don't see as a big deal. It should be fixed, but it isn't a big deal.

Now, with that said, sure some of the money is going to the wrong places, and some of the policies like it only going to shovel ready projects (rather then a more useful project that could start in say 6 months rather then 2) is bad policy. When people complain about the little stuff, no one listens when the big stuff comes up.

road kill
11-18-2009, 09:11 AM
Wow you are right I never even looked at that. I just assumed. Sorry. Does he lose his club membership for saying that? My point still holds though. It is a bit over board. Like I said that website isn't really "tracking" the money. The General Accounting office does that. The new reporters are claiming that the money wasn't spend correctly, just that the district was reported incorrectly which I just don't see as a big deal. It should be fixed, but it isn't a big deal.

Now, with that said, sure some of the money is going to the wrong places, and some of the policies like it only going to shovel ready projects (rather then a more useful project that could start in say 6 months rather then 2) is bad policy. When people complain about the little stuff, no one listens when the big stuff comes up.

Nate,
Daivd Obey wrote the first draft of the Health Care bill.
He is in BIG trouble in his district in WI (where I live).
He is up for election in '10.
This is commonly reffered to as "back pedalling!!"

Steve Amrein
11-18-2009, 09:14 AM
Tell me again how all the money from medicare/medicaid will be saved by reducing fruad and waste:rolleyes:

Eric Johnson
11-18-2009, 09:47 AM
Nate,

He is up for election in '10.
This is commonly reffered to as "back pedalling!!"

The whole house is up for re-election in 2010. If the public discourse is any indicator, anyone who is a member of the 220 majority is in trouble.

Eric

Bob Gutermuth
11-18-2009, 09:49 AM
Bet the same people who do the math on the porkulus spending are the ones trying to tell us how much money osamacare will save the country. Figures don't lie, but liars figure.

Gerry Clinchy
11-18-2009, 09:54 AM
Nate

This is JUST a public relations website that allows people to self report.

We should not discount the impact of public relations with "JUST" ... PR can win and lose elections.

If a politician or political pundit is going to make PR out of "facts" that are not true, the win or loss is then based on pure misinformation.

Gerry Clinchy
11-18-2009, 10:13 AM
LOL! I just read the article ... it's almost like a bad joke!

The recipients reported this stuff, supposedly, but they are excusing that the recipients did not know what Congressional district they were in. Uh? Is it possible that we should not trust a recipient with millions of dollars if they cannot find out what Congressional they are in before reporting?

Not to mention, should this reporting agency be entrusted with $18 million if they can't do a better job than this?

The recovery.gov Web site was established as part of the stimulus bill "to foster greater accountability and transparency" in the use of the money spent through the stimulus program. The site is a well-funded enterprise; the General Services Administration updated it earlier this year with an $18 million grant.

Most disturbing is the cost per job in the figures reported (even if the jobs really were created in some district somewhere).

TARP has paid for the re-paving of streets and some sidewalk improvements in a local small town near where I live here in PA. The town is right off an Interstate exit. The streets really weren't that bad, but the sidewalks could have used more improvement than they got. They repaired or improved several of the corners' handicapped curbing, but the rest of the sidewalks they did not repair would prove just as challenging to someone with a wheelchair or unsteady on their feet.

The work now appears to be completed. Took just a couple of months. Done. Over.
Wonder if the workers have other jobs now or back to collecting unemployment checks.

Richard Halstead
11-18-2009, 01:19 PM
I am thinking that jobs created are the unemployed workers that can stay home and cut the grass.

Gerry Clinchy
11-18-2009, 01:53 PM
The follow-up article is even better.

Aside from the 700 incorrect districts, they have some other peachy mistakes:

1) $790,000 used for a one-time raise for 317 employees in Augusta GA Head Start counted as 317 jobs "saved".

2) $890 grant for 9 pairs of boots for Army Corps of Engineers counted as 9 jobs created?

3) The D Senator who was quoted ... a sewer project in his district said to create 100 jobs when the true number was 5!

Nobody has remarked that abc, cnn are the ones reporting this.

charly_t
11-18-2009, 02:11 PM
The stimulus has been spent???? Where???? Where are all the infrastructure rebuilding jobs that were supposed to have been created??????

Can someone point me to an accounting of the stimulus being spent?

Hoping against hope that one exists regards,:rolleyes:

kg

I just have to "out" this. Many millions were given to the Cherokee tribe (I'm part Cherokee) in Oklahoma. I don't care how much of our land and the money paid for it have been lost (or stolen) by the Feds. I don't feel that this should have been given at this time. I am first and foremost an American. I can make my own way the government does not need to help me at this time.

By the way it was on the news that Oklahoma has an extra district or districts just like Ariz. Supposedly money was given to this district or districts. I'd be interested in that info as well as the info you want !!!!!

charly_t

Eric Johnson
11-18-2009, 03:15 PM
A follow-up analysis piece.

Eric
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/11/17/AR2009111703837.html?wpisrc=newsletter

http://tinyurl.com/ybed2x3

Accounting for stimulus jobs: Be careful what you wish for
Congress demands elusive figures, then expresses outrage over errors

By Alec MacGillis
Washington Post Staff Writer
Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Another day, another flurry of outrage over the jobs numbers claimed by the government for the administration's $787 billion economic stimulus program.

House Appropriations Committee Chairman David R. Obey (D-Wis.) released a blistering statement Tuesday, taking to task flawed data in the federal figures that show $160 billion in spending had created or saved at least 640,000 jobs.

-more-

badbullgator
11-18-2009, 04:52 PM
Tell me again how all the money from medicare/medicaid will be saved by reducing fruad and waste:rolleyes:

Exactly
Home Depot a toilet seat is about $10 and any fool can install it themselves.
US Gooberment a toilet seat cost $2000, and then it takes three government employees to approve the design, three more to approve purchasing it, four more to decide what company they will pay $6000 to install, three more to cut a check to the contractor who does install it, and sixteen more to put information on a website that says this created 1500 jobs in a district that does not exist. I am sure they will do a great job with healthcare……