PDA

View Full Version : Something we can all agree on...... maybe

cotts135
11-24-2009, 07:53 AM
An article in the New York Times has shown where the Left and Right have joined together to be critical of the current criminal justice system. It is an interesting article that shows how the Justice system has turned into something the Founding Fathers would shutter at. I think anyone interested in Liberty, which should be all of us regardless of political bent, should be interested in halting this slide that criminalizes everything.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/24/us/24crime.html?partner=rss&emc=rss

Bob Gutermuth
11-24-2009, 08:59 AM
Generally, if the ACLU is for it, I'm against it.

zeus3925
11-24-2009, 10:06 AM
The U.S. has the highest incarceration rate of any country in the world . The second place country, China has an incarceration rate only 18% of the U.S. rate. With 5% of the world, population, the U.S. has just under a quarter of the world's prisoners. The length of incarceration is far longer than the international norm.

We have had some effective laws on the books since the republic was founded. However, it seems every time something bad happens, the public outcry is for another law, which no one with criminal intent is going to concern themselves with anyway. often these laws are superfluous as existing law already covers the issue.

We need an overhaul of the legal code to bring some sense and balance to it.

dnf777
11-24-2009, 11:48 AM
I've always been for the death penalty in theory. No moral or ethical hangups at all. The reason I'm against it in practice, is I don't trust our justice system to safely and efficiently administer it! 138 inmates freed from death row, many completely exonorated of their crimes! Not good enough to be wielding the death penalty. I think Texas holds the record for screw ups when it comes to false convictions. (Dallas DA)

Uncle Bill
11-26-2009, 03:35 PM
Along these lines, I'm in favor of more 'judgement-by-police. Much like I favor the military that finally locates Bin Laden. If they bring him in alive, THEY should be hung.

Speaking of, is there any crook, gangster, b&e artist, terrorist, murderer, whatever more secure than when being chased by a gun-toting law officer on TV? The writers of TV shows are so PC, they are in my mind as responsible for the rise in crime as anyone.

Kids watching these shows have no reason to fear any law officer with a gun... just run away, no one will ever shoot at you.

If you're like me, you are shouting at the TV, (like I do at idiotic play calling by NFL teams I watch)...SHOOT THAT BASTARD!!!

No doubt about it...this nation needs more Harry Callahans!!!

UB

Pete
11-26-2009, 04:24 PM
The U.S. has the highest incarceration rate of any country in the world . The second place country, China has an incarceration rate only 18% of the U.S. rate. With 5% of the world, population, the U.S. has just under a quarter of the world's prisoners. The length of incarceration is far longer than the international norm.

We have had some effective laws on the books since the republic was founded. However, it seems every time something bad happens, the public outcry is for another law, which no one with criminal intent is going to concern themselves with anyway. often these laws are superfluous as existing law already covers the issue.

We need an overhaul of the legal code to bring some sense and balance to it.

The problem is many of them do not belong in there. We are paying 70 grand a year for a prisnor who can be perfectly productive in society and still pay for their crime.

Over 20 percent of criminals are illegal aliens to boot,,they belong in prison in mexico or wherever they came from

Pete

Pete
11-26-2009, 04:28 PM
I've always been for the death penalty in theory. No moral or ethical hangups at all. The reason I'm against it in practice, is I don't trust our justice system to safely and efficiently administer it! 138 inmates freed from death row, many completely exonorated of their crimes! Not good enough to be wielding the death penalty. I think Texas holds the record for screw ups when it comes to false convictions. (Dallas DA

Maby so,,,but there are thousands upon thousands of criminals we know beyond any doubt whatso ever that they are guilty of hiddeous crimes. They should be put down tomarro.

Pete

subroc
11-27-2009, 07:09 AM
doesn't one of the current health care bills have prison time as an end result for not having health insurance?

cotts135
11-27-2009, 11:16 AM
Along these lines, I'm in favor of more 'judgement-by-police. Much like I favor the military that finally locates Bin Laden. If they bring him in alive, THEY should be hung.

Speaking of, is there any crook, gangster, b&e artist, terrorist, murderer, whatever more secure than when being chased by a gun-toting law officer on TV? The writers of TV shows are so PC, they are in my mind as responsible for the rise in crime as anyone.

Kids watching these shows have no reason to fear any law officer with a gun... just run away, no one will ever shoot at you.

If you're like me, you are shouting at the TV, (like I do at idiotic play calling by NFL teams I watch)...SHOOT THAT BASTARD!!!

No doubt about it...this nation needs more Harry Callahans!!!

UB

Police are part of the justice system, they are not THE justice system. We have Grand jurys and Jury trials for a reason one of them being protection of the public from the government. If you like the lawlessness that would follow if we had police making all the decisions then maybe I suggest you can move to maybe.........................Somalia.
You suggesting cops to shoot people in the back?

Uncle Bill
11-27-2009, 04:15 PM
NOWAAAAY!!! That's what they have shooting galleries for, to train them to be DAMNED GOOD with that weapon, and shoot them in the legs. It's bound to slow them down enough so they can get a good frontal shot.:rolleyes:

UB