PDA

View Full Version : Navy Seals Face Charges After Capturing Terrorist

WaterDogRem
11-24-2009, 04:18 PM
http://www.navytimes.com/news/2009/11/navy_seals_charged_112409w/

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,576646,00.html

"Navy SEALs have secretly captured one of the most wanted terrorists in Iraq the alleged mastermind of the murder and mutilation of four Blackwater USA security guards in Fallujah in 2004. And three of the SEALs who captured him are now facing criminal charges, sources told FoxNews.com.

The three, all members of the Navy's elite commando unit, have refused non-judicial punishment called an admiral's mast and have requested a trial by court-martial.

Ahmed Hashim Abed, whom the military code-named "Objective Amber," told investigators he was punched by his captors and he had the bloody lip to prove it."

Bob Gutermuth
11-24-2009, 04:33 PM
Considering what the scumbag they captured did, they ought to get a promotion and a medal, not a court martial

Franco
11-24-2009, 04:44 PM
What in the hell is this nation coming too?

The SEALS should be decorated not prosecuted!

I blame the weak-knee liberals and their President Obama for thier lame policies and distaste of the finest military in the world!

WaterDogRem
11-24-2009, 04:48 PM
Just another example of PC at work, and especially where it should never be!

Roger Perry
11-24-2009, 05:20 PM
I looked on CNN news, ABC news, CNBC news and CBS news and could not find anything about the story FOX entertainment is talking about.

WaterDogRem
11-24-2009, 05:22 PM
I looked on CNN news, ABC news, CNBC news and CBS news and could not find anything about the story FOX entertainment is talking about.

Are you trying to say it's not true?

Roger Perry
11-24-2009, 05:55 PM

I guess it must be true if FOX entertainment said it was true. :rolleyes:

WindyCreek
11-24-2009, 07:38 PM
It is not just Fox News, Navy Times is carrying the story as well, their source is Public Affairs Officer for Special Operations Command Central, the Command which forwarded the charges.

Will be interesting to see how long it takes for the other media outlets to carry the story (assuming they do so).

Roger Perry
11-25-2009, 05:08 AM
It is not just Fox News, Navy Times is carrying the story as well, their source is Public Affairs Officer for Special Operations Command Central, the Command which forwarded the charges.

Will be interesting to see how long it takes for the other media outlets to carry the story (assuming they do so).

And three of the SEALs who captured him are now facing criminal charges, sources told FoxNews.com.

Do you suppose you could name the sources or are they confidential sources like Doug Thompson's sources?

Captain Mike D
11-25-2009, 05:54 AM
And three of the SEALs who captured him are now facing criminal charges, sources told FoxNews.com.

Do you suppose you could name the sources or are they confidential sources like Doug Thompson's sources?

Roger, here is a source per the Navy Times article

The three SEALs Special Warfare Operators 2nd Class Matthew McCabe and Jonathan Keefe, and SO1 Julio Huertas will be arraigned Dec. 7 in a military court in Norfolk, Va., said Army Lt. Col. Holly Silkman, a spokeswoman with U.S. Special Operations Command Central

Roger Perry
11-25-2009, 05:59 AM

Are you really serious that Navy Seals are being court marshalled because a guy got a bloody lip? Get real.

Ahmed Hashim Abed, whom the military code-named "Objective Amber," told investigators he was punched by his captors and he had the bloody lip to prove it.
Now, instead of being lauded for bringing to justice a high-value target, three of the SEAL commandos, all enlisted, face assault charges and have retained lawyers.

code3retrievers
11-25-2009, 07:12 AM
This is what you should expect from the military under Obama. He will state that he supports the military but then puts confining rules in place to punish it.

We should expect more of this behavior in the future.

Roger Perry
11-25-2009, 07:35 AM
Roger, here is a source per the Navy Times article

The three SEALs — Special Warfare Operators 2nd Class Matthew McCabe and Jonathan Keefe, and SO1 Julio Huertas — will be arraigned Dec. 7 in a military court in Norfolk, Va., said Army Lt. Col. Holly Silkman, a spokeswoman with U.S. Special Operations Command Central

I did find other references confirming the story. However, it might be the cover-up that got the Navy Seals in trouble.

Gerry Clinchy
11-25-2009, 08:07 AM
Navy Times:

Army Maj. Gen. Charles Cleveland, SOCCent commander, preferred the charges against the SEALs and will serve as the convening authority as the cases proceed to court-martial, tentatively scheduled for mid-January, Silkman said.

None of the SEALs is confined, she added.

The alleged incident happened in Iraq on or about Sept. 1, Silkman said. “The one thing I can’t talk about is this alleged victim,” she said.

Julie R.
11-25-2009, 08:13 AM
Just more of the muzzie-coddling from this administration. Doesn't matter if it's a captured or a home-grown terrorist, we're not allowed to call them terrorists and we're not allowed to be mean to them. :barf:

Steve Amrein
11-25-2009, 08:14 AM

It will take them about as long as they did with acorn. Evgentually enough was made out it they were shamed into reporting the news.

Pete
11-25-2009, 08:17 AM
What in the hell is this nation coming too?

The SEALS should be decorated not prosecuted!

I blame the weak-knee liberals and their President Obama for thier lame policies and distaste of the finest military in the world!

The same kind of horse chit happened when bush was pres. he didnt pardon any of them,, Id be putting on a ticker tape parade for these great men and woman
We are totally screwed as a nation when we send our fighting men in to war then prosecute them if they hurt someone.
Discusting totally discusting and who stands up for these guys,,what politician do you see up on a soap box condeming this.

p

Steve Amrein
11-25-2009, 08:18 AM
I guess interogation is out of the question.

brandywinelabs
11-25-2009, 08:34 AM
Roger,

I can't decide what to say........ I am speechless.

I am absolutely flabergasted at your attitude toward this.

road kill
11-25-2009, 08:36 AM
Just more of the muzzie-coddling from this administration. Doesn't matter if it's a captured or a home-grown terrorist, we're not allowed to call them terrorists and we're not allowed to be mean to them. :barf:

Unless they are anti abortion terrorists, then it's OK!!:D

Not excusing it, just pointing out the double standard!!

dnf777
11-25-2009, 08:48 AM
First of all, NOBODY on this forum knows jack-squat about what happened or what is happening. President Obama did not just waltz into office and order folks court-martialled. For you non-military types who are vociferous on this issue, let me inform you that there is a thing called the Uniformed Code of Military Justice, that was NOT just conceived under Obama, but has been in place as long as we've had a modern military, which prescribes justice in a parallel, yet unique fashion for members of the military.

Unless obama uses his powers at CIC to trump the UCMJ or issues a pardon, he really has nothing to do with the proceedings of this matter. But the misguided attacks certainly support the anti-obama agenda, so I'm sure they will continue.

Steve Amrein
11-25-2009, 10:22 AM
This just feels like a theme. The Allhose prof. freind of O calling foul. Gitmo. Terrorist being tried as civillians. Claims against the CIA. Basically the bad guys are getting better treatment than the men and women that are trying to protect us.

Bob Gutermuth
11-25-2009, 10:23 AM
If the chump in chief keeps on like this, the military is going to have a lot of trouble recruiting in the near future.

JDogger
11-25-2009, 10:37 AM
dnf777,

Why even try? :sad:

JDogger

Roger Perry
11-25-2009, 10:50 AM
Roger,

I can't decide what to say........ I am speechless.

I am absolutely flabergasted at your attitude toward this.

Look, I have no problem if the Navy Seals beat this terrorist to a bloody pulp and I wish they would have brought him in DOA. I do not know the circumstances of the SEALS arrests and I do not believe that President Obama knew anything about it before or after it happened.

Eric Johnson
11-25-2009, 10:50 AM
The three were offered non-judicial punishment (Art 15 under the UCMJ) but refused and requested a Court.

I have heard that the prisoner was in Iraqi Security Forces hands for a short time (minutes...hours...days...dunno). That makes for a good defense.

I suspect that PC lawyers were advising the convening authority about how "we don't want another Abu Graib incident."

Eric

Steve Amrein
11-25-2009, 10:51 AM
dnf777,

JDogger

So you think the story is defendable?

Bob Gutermuth
11-25-2009, 10:54 AM
Anyone want to bet the terrorist scumbags(FT Hood and NYC) get a fairer trial than these three swab jockeys?

dnf777
11-25-2009, 10:57 AM
dnf777,

JDogger

I don't know. It's blatantly obvious that there is an anti-Obama, sore-loser, attitude here. Much of what he is blamed for, is merely a continuation of Mr. Bush's policies, that were apparently just fine when he was committing them! Record spending, indecision on wars, you name it. It is a well established pattern, and there's no sense arguing. Once we get a republican re-elected, and the SAME things keep happening, then, and only then, will they be ok and patriotic once again. Oh, and the other pattern....you're either lock-step with Rush/Hannity/Coulter/Beck, or you're a flaming liberal. NO middle ground, or tolerance for slightly different opinion here!

Don't bang your head too much, it doesn't help!

JDogger
11-25-2009, 11:20 AM
So you think the story is defendable?

I'm not quite sure what you're asking.

My post to dnf777 was a comment on his post #21 where he states that Obama is not responsible for the charges or the courts-martial. The military brought the charges, the seals were offered an article 15 and they chose instead a courts-martial. How does that have anything to do with Obama?

I think that was the point dnf777 was making, but a couple of posts later it was stated that the situation was the fault of the 'chump-in-chief'.

Hence my comment, "why even try" (to make sense to those who don't want to be made sense to.)

Make sense?

JD

Steve Amrein
11-25-2009, 11:58 AM
I'm not quite sure what you're asking.

My post to dnf777 was a comment on his post #21 where he states that Obama is not responsible for the charges or the courts-martial. The military brought the charges, the seals were offered an article 15 and they chose instead a courts-martial. How does that have anything to do with Obama?

I think that was the point dnf777 was making, but a couple of posts later it was stated that the situation was the fault of the 'chump-in-chief'.

Hence my comment, "why even try" (to make sense to those who don't want to be made sense to.)

Make sense?

JD

The president is the comander and cheif all of it rest one his shoulders. Just as it has when Bush was in office. Either he gets all the credit or none of it. Rumsfeld may have been making decissions but Bush was credited/blamed. Obama at some point has to be a leader and responsible. These may have been left over crappy policies from Bush I dont really care. Obama and minions need to fix this.

Plain and simple our soldiers in harms way cant be charged everytime some allhose gets a bloody lip.

Roger Perry
11-25-2009, 12:23 PM
The president is the comander and cheif all of it rest one his shoulders. Just as it has when Bush was in office. Either he gets all the credit or none of it. Rumsfeld may have been making decissions but Bush was credited/blamed. Obama at some point has to be a leader and responsible. These may have been left over crappy policies from Bush I dont really care. Obama and minions need to fix this.

Plain and simple our soldiers in harms way cant be charged everytime some allhose gets a bloody lip.

Well, there you have it folks, Bush was responsible for 9/11 after all.

JDogger
11-25-2009, 12:35 PM

Ok...I'll try one more time. The Uniform Code of Military Justice is the prevailing legal authority here. Not the CIC who ever that might be. They may grant a pardon but they do not decide who is charged and with what.
They have no input to the UCMJ.
Sure the CIC gets the credit/blame. Doesn't mean they always deserve it.

I'm sure there is a lot more to be learned about this situation.

Why even try regards,

JD

dnf777
11-25-2009, 01:07 PM
I'm sure there is a lot more to be learned about this situation.

Why even try regards,

JD

Like you said, why even try...when you can just bash the president? There are some very interesting points made on this forum from both sides, but the majority are becoming monotonous Obama name-calling and bashing. Same old, same old.

road kill
11-25-2009, 01:22 PM
Like you said, why even try...when you can just bash the president? There are some very interesting points made on this forum from both sides, but the majority are becoming monotonous BUSH name-calling and bashing. Same old, same old.

There, I fixed it for ya!!:p

JDogger
11-25-2009, 02:13 PM
There, I fixed it for ya!!:p

My god you're cleaver :rolleyes: and witty too! ;-)

JD

Clay Rogers
11-25-2009, 02:18 PM
It's all Obamas fault. It was all Bush's fault when he was in office according to the left. Now let us blame your guy for a while. And I sure hope it is for a short while.

road kill
11-25-2009, 03:19 PM
My god you're cleaver :rolleyes: and witty too! ;-)

JD

It's a gift!!;)

WindyCreek
11-25-2009, 04:28 PM
Sorry I didn't get a chance to reply earlier but I believe you received your answer, it was actually pretty easy to find.