PDA

View Full Version : Training help???

Skicat238
11-27-2009, 11:21 AM
Hello,
I have a new Lab Pup coming in a few weeks, and had some questions around training that I hoped everyone could help with?

I'm an avid waterfowler, and want to make sure that I properly train my pup to become a calm, effective and driven hunting partner. I've trained Labs in the past using Richard Wolters methods, but many people I've spoken to recently feel that his methods are antiquated and less effective than some newer methods. This pup will also be a family pet, so I'm most interested in more gentle training techniques.

I'm also open to the possibilty of sending the pup to a professional trainer, and would welcome any suggestions.

Thanks,
Trey

TN_LAB
11-27-2009, 01:02 PM
Be fair to your dog. Be consistent. Learn to crawl before you walk. Don't be abussive to your dog and it'll be a fine pet and hunting partner.

I use pressure to train my dog, but it's certainly not abussive or painful.

I started out using treats to gain compliance and teach a command. I then graduated to tugging on a collar and tapping with a stick (if the dog has been taught the command and then doesn't comply...it's being disobedient).

I think of using pressure the same way a basketball coach makes you run laps when you miss free throws. There's going to come a time when there's 01 second on the clock and you're at the free throw line...that hoop shrinks, your palms sweat and you've got to dig deep so you can be comfortable shooting free throws with the game on the line.

Teaching your dog how to respond to pressure is a very valuable skill, because there will come a time where it'll need that skill.

I repeat...don't abuse your dog and don't think that means you have to go beating with a stick to make it submit.

Training the dog to deal with pressure is something I'd recommend.

There are several retriever systems out there that can help you (and a bumbling idiot like me) train their dog.

Disclaimer: I don't know nutin' about this dog training stuff and I ain't in no position to debate anybody at a high level. I am however, the expert at my opinion and am darn proud of what me and my dog have accomplished over the past year or so. :D

Good luck and enjoy your dog.

VTinAZ
11-28-2009, 11:38 PM
Trey:

To follow up with the reply before mine with pressure training. Its awesome and works well and I would suggest you to get this book I have and read it because its all about that type of training. It will help you out with everything you need to know. Sporting good stores should have this book. I got mine at Bass Pro.

The book is "Tom Dokken's Retriever Training: The Complete Guide to Developing Your Hunting Dog"

Good Luck

Matthew Hambright
12-14-2009, 04:25 PM
EVAN Grahams Smartwork and Smartfetch! Its awesome and detailed enough if your a beginner!