PDA

View Full Version : Is This a Problem to Anyone??

road kill
12-11-2009, 02:26 PM
New JOBS!!??!!??

http://www.usatoday.com/printedition/news/20091211/1afedpay11_st.art.htm?loc=interstitialskip

I especially like this part;

"Federal employees making salaries of $100,000 or more jumped from 14% to 19% of civil servants during the recession's first 18 months — and that's before overtime pay and bonuses are counted.

Federal workers are enjoying an extraordinary boom time — in pay and hiring — during a recession that has cost 7.3 million jobs in the private sector."

God help us!!:D

Steve Amrein
12-11-2009, 04:46 PM
Kinda like the BS chrysler bailout so they could close the local truck and van plant and move them to Mexico and Canada.

Tell me again how this jobs saved or created thing works again.

Roger Perry
12-11-2009, 05:13 PM
•Pay hikes. Then-president Bush recommended — and Congress approved — across-the-board raises of 3% in January 2008 and 3.9% in January 2009. President Obama has recommended 2% pay raises in January 2010, the smallest since 1975. Most federal workers also get longevity pay hikes — called steps — that average 1.5% per year.

Roger Perry
12-11-2009, 05:51 PM
New JOBS!!??!!??

http://www.usatoday.com/printedition/news/20091211/1afedpay11_st.art.htm?loc=interstitialskip

"Federal employees making salaries of $100,000 or more jumped from 14% to 19% of civil servants during the recession's first 18 months — and that's before overtime pay and bonuses are counted.

Federal workers are enjoying an extraordinary boom time — in pay and hiring — during a recession that has cost 7.3 million jobs in the private sector."

God help us!!:D

The recession started in 2007 when Bush was in office.

K G
12-11-2009, 06:01 PM
The recession started in 2007 when Bush was in office.

The groundwork was laid by his predecessor with the deregulation of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac...and it is being furthered by his successor....:eek:

Look up the new spending bill that is FLYING through this Congress, Roger....over 5,000 EARMARKS worth nearly $4 BILLION dollars....but what's $4 BILLION more when our national debt is almost $13 TRILLION....and he has NO intention of vetoing it...:rolleyes: ....pay particular attention to the millions in earmarks going to the state of Mississippi and WHY...

Hope BHO enjoys his "Christmas at the White House" show with Oprah on ABC this weekend...it'll be a great memory for him and his family when he's out of office in three years....

kg

Roger Perry
12-11-2009, 06:10 PM
The groundwork was laid by his predecessor with the deregulation of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac...and it is being furthered by his successor....:eek:

Look up the new spending bill that is FLYING through this Congress, Roger....over 5,000 EARMARKS worth nearly $4 BILLION dollars....but what's $4 BILLION more when our national debt is almost $13 TRILLION....and he has NO intention of vetoing it...:rolleyes: ....pay particular attention to the millions in earmarks going to the state of Mississippi and WHY...

Hope BHO enjoys his "Christmas at the White House" show with Oprah on ABC this weekend...it'll be a great memory for him and his family when he's out of office in three years....

kg

How does that relate to the federal employees pay raises for which this thread is about? I think RK stuck his foot in his mouth on this thread. I can't wait to see how RK spins himself out of this one.

K G
12-11-2009, 06:44 PM
How does that relate to the federal employees pay raises for which this thread is about? I think RK stuck his foot in his mouth on this thread. I can't wait to see how RK spins himself out of this one.

Your statement about the recession beginning in '07, Roger...nice job avoiding the issue....typical...:rolleyes:

kg

Roger Perry
12-11-2009, 07:06 PM
Your statement about the recession beginning in '07, Roger...nice job avoiding the issue....typical...:rolleyes:

kg

This was RK's quote about the recession which started during the BUSH administration.

Is This a Problem to Anyone??
New JOBS!!??!!??

http://www.usatoday.com/printedition...terstitialskip (http://www.usatoday.com/printedition/news/20091211/1afedpay11_st.art.htm?loc=interstitialskip)

God help us!!:grin:

This is an excert from that article. Note Bush increases of 3% in January 2008 and 3.9% in January 2009. Also note that Obama recommended (not yet passed) 2% increase in January 2010 (which is not even here yet) Which is the smallest increase since 1975.

Key reasons for the boom in six-figure salaries:
•Pay hikes. Then-president Bush recommended — and Congress approved — across-the-board raises of 3% in January 2008 and 3.9% in January 2009. President Obama has recommended 2% pay raises in January 2010, the smallest since 1975. Most federal workers also get longevity pay hikes — called steps — that average 1.5% per year.

ducknwork
12-11-2009, 07:24 PM
Roger, where did RK mention anything about the messiah to suggest that he was attacking him? If it's there, I missed it. It seems that you made that jump on your own, did you not? I am willing to bet that if you ask him if he has a problem with the raises Bush recommended during that time period he would say so. Go ahead and ask.

The hurt dog hollers regards,

Roger Perry
12-11-2009, 07:34 PM
Roger, where did RK mention anything about the messiah to suggest that he was attacking him? If it's there, I missed it. It seems that you made that jump on your own, did you not? I am willing to bet that if you ask him if he has a problem with the raises Bush recommended during that time period he would say so. Go ahead and ask.

The hurt dog hollers regards,

All of Rk's posts have been pro Bush (conservative) anti Obama (liberal) I don't know why he would change his opinions now. I am still waiting for him to comment.

ducknwork
12-11-2009, 07:43 PM
In other words, you ASS U MEd that he was targeting Obama. You would make an awesome assistant to Jesse Jackson or Al Sharpton. You are great at turning things into something they aren't.

Roger Perry
12-11-2009, 07:47 PM
In other words, you ASS U MEd that he was targeting Obama. You would make an awesome assistant to Jesse Jackson or Al Sharpton. You are great at turning things into something they aren't.

I do not ass u me anything I just find it hard to believe that a leopard can change its spots.

Marvin S
12-11-2009, 09:03 PM
In 1964 around the holidays my wife & I were sitting in the 4B's cafe in Missoula, MT having a bite & I was reading the WSJ. On page 1 they have a synopsis of inside articles & one of those dealt with pay for federal employees & how they want to raise federal employees pay to the level of the private sector so more highly qualified people will want government employment. Apparently is was not enough that they are employed in a basically risk free environment, with early retirement & little accountability. In 45 years they have managed to swing the pendulum in their favor to the degree that you witness today, but the best & brightest are still in the private sector. So more money that the country does not have is being spent but the results are the same.

What caused that to happen? Apathy on the part of the citizenry, the large number of public employees in elective positions & the recognition by the best & brightest in the private sector that being the POTUS, your state's governor, US Senator or Rep &/or even in the State House was not as big a deal as owning a successful multi million dollar corporation. When you create a successful business model it is an immense personal satisfaction. & that is much easier to create than any significant legislation with all the perceived stakeholders.

Any of the fiscal moderates &/or conservatives on this forum who have never volunteered for those advisory boards, local elective office, etc. if they had the skills are to blame. If you look into the mirror & see that person, you might want to rethink how you spend some of your leisure time. Try to make the US a better country than when you arrived so our offspring will have somehting to look forward to in the future.

Gerry Clinchy
12-12-2009, 06:38 AM
The topic (upon which almost everyone here agrees) is govt is growing while the private sector is losing jobs.

None of those govt jobs provide a product that can be exported to our trading partners.

road kill
12-12-2009, 07:13 AM
I do not ass u me anything I just find it hard to believe that a leopard can change its spots.

You prove that on a daily basis.

Do you know any 4th graders?
If so, maybe you could get them to help you with your reading comprehension.
Your missing a lot!!:D

dnf777
12-12-2009, 07:33 AM
When it comes to losing American jobs, one word: NAFTA

A few more words: Bush I, Clinton, Bush II, Obama

Neither party is lookin' out for guys and gals like US! (unless you happen to own a multi-national corporation who makes giant (and many) shadow contributions

Steve Amrein
12-12-2009, 08:29 AM

Neither party is lookin' out for guys and gals like US! (unless you happen to own a multi-national corporation who makes giant (and many) shadow contributions

I agree 100%

I will add that most folks have either lost jobs, wage freeze, pay cut or reduced hours. Then most folks who responsible aduts have cut back their spending and lived withen a budget. Only in gooberment can you decrease incoming funds and still give out raises. Its wrong for either party.

Roger Perry
12-12-2009, 08:58 AM
You prove that on a daily basis.

Do you know any 4th graders?
If so, maybe you could get them to help you with your reading comprehension.
Your missing a lot!!:D

I got the main point

•Pay hikes. Then-president Bush recommended — and Congress approved — across-the-board raises of 3% in January 2008 and 3.9% in January 2009. President Obama has recommended 2% pay raises in January 2010, the smallest since 1975.

Pete
12-12-2009, 09:35 AM

exacly,,didnt think I'd ever hear you write that
Pete

subroc
12-12-2009, 10:40 AM
I work for the federal gov't.

Fire away...

ducknwork
12-12-2009, 11:02 AM
I work for the federal gov't.

Fire away...

No fire here. Can I borrow $20?:D

subroc
12-12-2009, 11:04 AM
I'm so broke, I can't pay attention...

If I had your money, I'd burn mine to keep yours warm...

BrianW
12-12-2009, 11:21 AM
I got the main point .

No, I really don't think you did.
Most of your posts nere seem to start by saying "Well Bush did ..."
Wrong is still wrong whoever's doing it, PBO's continuation of the policy even if it's less than before is STILL a continuation.
Why do Federal employees get any raise when we're having to extend the debt ceiling in order to help pay it? If you're running a company and the business is going broke, do the employees get raises? No, they're getting pay, benefits & hours cut, just like many state workers are.
And don't use the argument that "it's in their contracts". The "pay czar" is cutting legally contracted pay/bonuses for company execs who were forced into accepting bailouts. The whole concept of "legally binding" has been turned on it's head by this Administration.

Roger Perry
12-12-2009, 11:40 AM
No, I really don't think you did.
Most of your posts nere seem to start by saying "Well Bush did ..."
Wrong is still wrong whoever's doing it, PBO's continuation of the policy even if it's less than before is STILL a continuation.
Why do Federal employees get any raise when we're having to extend the debt ceiling in order to help pay it? If you're running a company and the business is going broke, do the employees get raises? No, they're getting pay, benefits & hours cut, just like many state workers are.
And don't use the argument that "it's in their contracts". The "pay czar" is cutting legally contracted pay/bonuses for company execs who were forced into accepting bailouts. The whole concept of "legally binding" has been turned on it's head by this Administration.

If you read right, Obama has proposed a 2 % increase which still has to be passed by Congress for the year 2010. 2010 is not here yet.

subroc
12-12-2009, 12:11 PM
Is it possible that congress will do something other than what obama recommends? Could congress give a higher % raise or even a lower or zero % raise?

BrianW
12-12-2009, 12:27 PM
Obama has proposed a 2 % increase .

Again, I would ask, why should they get ANY increases even if just "proposed"?

You and the President just don't seem to get it. The checking account is EMPTY sir.
"How can I be broke, I still have more checks?!?":shock:
Expenditures exceed tax revenues and at an ever increasing rate. Simple math. Even a graduate of Columbia ought to be able to understand that!
The "overdrafts" are unsustainable and must come to an end before we can't even pay the fees, much less the overdraft amounts.
Why is that SO hard to comprehend? :rolleyes:

badbullgator
12-12-2009, 12:50 PM
Again, I would ask, why should they get ANY increases even if just "proposed"?

You and the President just don't seem to get it. The checking account is EMPTY sir.
"How can I be broke, I still have more checks?!?":shock:
Expenditures exceed tax revenues and at an ever increasing rate. Simple math. Even a graduate of Columbia ought to be able to understand that!
The "overdrafts" are unsustainable and must come to an end before we can't even pay the fees, much less the overdraft amounts.
Why is that SO hard to comprehend? :rolleyes:

Around here, as is the case with most working folks I know, the annual increase this year and last......0% and you still feel lucky to have a job. Roger will never get it

BTW- I know of 5, that is FIVE, people that have been asked to take decreases in pay to keep working. One from 130K to about 80K...take it or leave it. In better times they would have left it, but right now he is taking it because it is a whole lot better to make 80K then 0!

badbullgator
12-12-2009, 12:59 PM
I find it interesting that Roger also misses this point

The highest-paid federal employees are doing best of all on salary increases. Defense Department civilian employees earning $150,000 or more increased from 1,868 in December 2007 to 10,100 in June 2009, the most recent figure available.
When the recession started, the Transportation Department had only one person earning a salary of $170,000 or more. Eighteen months later, 1,690 employees had salaries above $170,000.

Sorry I don't care if it is Bush, obongo, the pope, or God himself doing it, it is not right. 1 in 5 goberment employees make 100K or better. Yeah, 1 in 5....that is 20% roger. Come on tell us how that is a good thing, the right thing, or even if it is a bad thing and Bushes fault.

Richard Halstead
12-12-2009, 01:20 PM
The pay raises Roger talks about amounted to less than $1,000 per cival Servant that's not much for over 30 years than add on a reduction for a disibility retirement.

I need some money that the Whitehouse wastes on the illusion of thrift. Like the kitchen garden to provide the first family with more neutricous food being tended by the kitchen gardener with a salary over 100,000 that's a lot of lettuce.