PDA

View Full Version : Training Retrievers for Field Trials, Hunt Tests and Hunting

DoubleHaul
12-16-2009, 01:18 PM
Edited by Bill Hillman

I stumbled across this one in a used bookstore a few days ago. I had never heard of it and it was pricey but I bought it and it looks to be a very interesting read. Anyone else have this one?

Ted Shih
12-16-2009, 07:59 PM
If it is a large white softbound book that contains a variety of interview between Bill and various dog trainers, I think that it is quite a good read.

Joe Martin
12-16-2009, 08:25 PM
A lot of the information is more than a little out-dated. I think that there is a discussion of what is the best size shot to use in your 20 gauge to correct the dog. Hillman actually did a follow-up, interviewing many of the same trainers years later.

DoubleHaul
12-17-2009, 05:33 AM
If it is a large white softbound book that contains a variety of interview between Bill and various dog trainers, I think that it is quite a good read.

That is the one. I had a chance to get into it last night and it is indeed a good read. It is like sitting with a group of trainers listening to them talk about various issues. Definitely a good addition to my library.

HighlandC10
01-08-2010, 12:43 PM
I just got back my Retiever back from wonderful trainer, they provide Dog Behavior Modification courses to solve issues such as: Jumping, Pulling on the Leash, Biting, Mouthing, Fearfulness, Growling, Possessiveness, Dominance, Phobias, Territorial Aggression, Fighting and more! My dog was crazy. I came across this dog training SC (http://www.highlandcanine.com/) sometime ago.

Pals
01-08-2010, 01:26 PM
I love it!! Great book with various training viewpoints, suggestions and opinions. Mine is doggeared and travels with me out to the field. A very good read.

Scott Adams
01-08-2010, 02:26 PM
I have a first edition with the red cover and the 2nd edition, with the white cover.
Great reference book. Very helpful in offering suggestions on issues.
Highland C10.....very strange post.

Pals
01-08-2010, 08:01 PM
Why can't people just be honest?