PDA

View Full Version : Interesting gun control angle...

Fowlfeller1100
12-21-2009, 06:23 PM
So, after some internet research I have concluded that most states have some sort of limitation on firearm purchases to those classified as having or having had a mental "illness" or "disorder". I have some pyschology schooling and after more research discovered that these classifications are very open to subjectivity. For example "specific phobia" could be a fear of snakes, or flying, or heights. There is "generalized anxiety disorder" which basicly means your an anxious person. My point is that nearly anybody can fall into one of these catagories and therefore (possibly) would be barred from purchasing a firearm. Is it possible that a good citizen would need to lie about a fear of heights to buy a gun? Would this be an easy path the preventing the sale of guns as a whole?:confused:

JDogger
12-22-2009, 12:58 AM
So, after some internet research I have concluded that most states have some sort of limitation on firearm purchases to those classified as having or having had a mental "illness" or "disorder". I have some pyschology schooling and after more research discovered that these classifications are very open to subjectivity. For example "specific phobia" could be a fear of snakes, or flying, or heights. There is "generalized anxiety disorder" which basicly means your an anxious person. My point is that nearly anybody can fall into one of these catagories and therefore (possibly) would be barred from purchasing a firearm. Is it possible that a good citizen would need to lie about a fear of heights to buy a gun? Would this be an easy path the preventing the sale of guns as a whole?:confused:

My observation at several recent gun shows and at local gun stores, leads me to believe that with a little perseverance, anybody can buy any gun they want, with little restriction. Ammo too.
Sorry NRA, 2nd amendment doesn't seem to have been restricted.

JD

BrianW
12-22-2009, 10:10 AM
With the current clinical labeling of just about everything as some kind of "anxiety disorder" or "syndrome", , it's certainly possible that many, if not the majority of firearms ownership applicants could be barred from approval due to the "Do you or have you ever..." wording on many forms. Especially if you had some kind of problem as young child that was unreported, you outgrew or didn't even realize you had. How many rowdy kids did you have in school that might now be diagnosed as ADHD? How many folks have ever suffered from a personally stressful event that could be PTSD sufferers?

I suppose that most hoplophobes would say that people who would even think about or want to own a firearm are delusional & dangerous in and of themselves.

JD Just don't kid yourself into believing that what may be the situation locally in NM is the way it is countrywide.
If so, then I would submit that maybe you are delusional and perhaps shouldn't own a gun? :-P ;)

Fowlfeller1100
12-22-2009, 11:18 AM
I just read a statistic that said 19 percent of Vietnam vets have had PTSD, are these people unfit. I remember in pysch class they said that mild depression (still depression) would be considered "life" by most people; "my mom died, I feel sad .". The worst thing is that people have to self report, so if there was something serious like paranoid schizophrenia or anti-social disorder (of particular relavence) a person would proably be smart enough to check the right boxes...

Mood disorders (includes depression which may be temporary and environmentally caused) 20.9 million American adults per year

Anxiety disorders 40 million American adults

These are figures for adults only and there are roughly 300 million Americans total

Jim Wetzler
12-22-2009, 12:28 PM
Try and by one legally in New York. It takes at least 6 months to a year to legally get a handgun permit.

Leddyman
12-22-2009, 08:48 PM
My observation at several recent gun shows and at local gun stores, leads me to believe that with a little perseverance, anybody can buy any gun they want, with little restriction. Ammo too.

JD

Well thank you J.D. Would you mind if I qoute you in a research paper I am working on about gun control in the U.S.? I have been looking for some non biased sources. :D

JDogger
12-23-2009, 01:12 AM
Well thank you J.D. Would you mind if I qoute you in a research paper I am working on about gun control in the U.S.? I have been looking for some non biased sources. :D

Not at all. Please quote away. At sportsman's warehouse tonight, while the counter clerks were busy fawning over my 22 month-old BLM, I asked, "I see you have a good selection of .223 bushmaster's. Whats the chance of getting an AR chambered for both .223 and 5.56 mm NATO?
Very good was the reply. Just let us know.
While not legal, do you suppose if you wanted a fully automatic M-16, or AK-47 you could not find it?

The handgun wall was full, and well supplied I was told.

Is there an underground, black market firearm distribution system thriving?

You tell me?

Of course, I live in a state with a weird dicotomy. If you want to CC you have to get a permit, and pass the usual background checks, and do a CC class through a registered instructor. But, if you strap it on your belt in plain view, it's legal. Just don't wear it into a bank or a liquor establishment. If it's on the seat of your truck, OK. If it's under the seat, not OK.

I've had Leo's stand at my sales counter, right next to bikers wearing exposed handguns, and never give'em a second look.

If you live in an area where gun laws, to your view, are overly restrictive, move, or consider who you're voting for.

Gun toting liberal regards,

JD

Fowlfeller1100
12-23-2009, 10:53 AM
:I'm not even sure why there would need to be a black market, nearly anybody can figure out what alteration would have to be done to make a gun fully auto. Not that its smart, safe, or legal (for most people), but most gansters aren't smart, safe, or legal either... The only people being stopped are those who obey the law.