PDA

View Full Version : You could have heard a pin drop (fwd'd e-mail)

BrianW
12-22-2009, 09:13 AM
I received this via e-mail;
You may have seen this before, but certainly worth a second read and thought! I really don't care it they "Snopes" or not, the ideas are what matters, not the particulars.

At a time when our president and other politicians tend to apologize for our country's prior actions, here's a refresher on how some of our previous patriots handled negative comments about our country.

===========================================

President John F. Kennedy's Secretary of State, Dean Rusk, was in France in the early 1960's when France's President DeGaule decided to pull out of NATO. DeGaule said he wanted all US military out of France as soon as possible.

Rusk responded, "Does that include the American soldiers who are buried here?

DeGuale did not respond.

You could have heard a pin drop
==========================================>

When in England , at a fairly large conference, Colin Powell was asked by the Archbishop of Canterbury if our plans for Iraq were just an example of empire building by President George Bush.

He answered by saying, "Over the years, the United States has sent many of its fine young men and women into great peril to fight for freedom beyond our borders.. The only amount of land we have ever asked for in return is enough to bury those that did not return."
You could have heard a pin drop.

There was a conference in France where a number of international engineers were taking part, including French and American. During a break, one of the French engineers came back into the room saying, "Have you heard the latest dumb stunt Bush has done? He has sent an aircraft carrier to Indonesia to help the tsunami victims. What does he intended to do, bomb them?'

A Boeing engineer stood up and replied quietly: "Our carriers have three hospitals on board that can treat several hundred people; they are nuclear powered and can supply emergency electrical power to shore facilities; they have three cafeterias with the capacity to feed 3,000 people three meals a day, they can produce several thousand gallons of fresh water from sea water each day, and they carry half a dozen helicopters for use in transporting victims and injured to and from their flight deck. We have eleven such ships; how many does France have?'

A U.S. Navy Admiral was attending a naval conference that included Admirals from the U.S., English, Canadian, Australian, and French Navies. At a cocktail reception, he found himself standing with a large group of international Officers that included personnel from most of those countries.

Everyone was chatting away in English as they sipped their drinks. A French admiral suddenly complained that, whereas, Europeans learn many languages, Americans learn only English. He then asked, "Why is it that we always have to speak English in these conferences rather than
speaking French?"

Without hesitating, the American Admiral replied, "Maybe it's because the Brit's, Canadians, Aussie's and Americans arranged it so you wouldn't have to speak German."

==========================================

AND, THIS STORY FITS RIGHT IN WITH THE ABOVE...

Robert Whiting , an elderly gentleman of 83, arrived in Paris by plane. At French Customs, he took a few minutes to locate his passport in his carry on luggage.

"You have been to France before, monsieur?", the customs officer asked sarcastically.

Mr. Whiting admitted that he had previously been to France. "Then you should know enough to have your passport ready."

The American said, 'The last time I was here, I didn't have to show it."

"Impossible. Americans always have to show your passports on arrival in France!"

The American senior gave the Frenchman a long hard look. Then he quietly explained, ''Well, when I came ashore at Omaha Beach on D-Day in 1944, to help liberate this country from the Germans, I couldn't find a single Frenchmen to show a passport to."

========================================

If you are proud to be an American, pass this on!

I am proud to be of this land, GOD BLESS AMERICA

paul young
12-22-2009, 10:13 AM
that's a great read; and no doubt true......

the arrogance of the french has always bothered me. i'm sure i'm not alone on that one...-Paul

ducknwork
12-22-2009, 10:18 AM
Still good even though I have read it numerous times before.

Franco
12-22-2009, 03:44 PM
You are correct, it doesn't checkout with Snopes.

I just don't understand all the distain for the French.

Do you hate them because they were correct about Iraq? The USA has upset the balance of power in the middle east. Their intelligence service stated there were no WMD's. Iraq will return to its former self after we leave. Same for Afganistan.

Do you hate them because they told us in 1962 that getting involved with Vietnam would be a mistake?

Lets not forget that without them, we would have not won at Yorktown.
Nor would be be using the French word. "liberty".

If you want to be angry about some people, start with Bill Clinton, George Bush and Hussien Obama! The French are just minding thier own business.

Franco
12-22-2009, 04:01 PM
Franco....My mothers father would disagree with you. He was an englishman who fought alongside the french in world war 1. He always said there were more frenchmen shot in the ass then in the chest. I wasn't there, but I never had any reason to doubt a man that served so valiantly in that war.
Walt

WW1..Battle of the Somme, the Brits lost 80,000 men in 1 days fighting! The Allied Commanders didn't learn how to fight that war until late 1918. If what you are saying is true, then I don't blame any Allied soldier for not having any faith in thier commanders!

P S The dislike between the Brits and French goes back several 100 years so, I would take whatever any of them said about the other with a grain of salt.

P S S The French Foreign Legion is still the world standard for Special Forces. THey just do a better job of picking thier wars.

Franco
12-22-2009, 04:18 PM
How about the hundreds of thousands of Bermark Germans that surrendered in WW2. Was the German Army cowards too? I think that man for man, they were the best even with thier defeat.

What about the Italians in WW2? They surrendered when they ran out of wine! The Italian Army was a beast fighting against the Etheopians but were no match of the U S 1st Division! Were are the Italian Army jokes?

People tend to think differently when they have 30 and 50 caliber rounds being shot at them. And, politicians are NO friends of the military.

I could go on an on with examples.

dnf777
12-22-2009, 04:32 PM
I just don't have the energy to hate several million people...most of whom I've never met. I do like the knives they produce in the Sabatier region. Best in the world. Vino isn't bad either.

Franco
12-22-2009, 04:33 PM
But those are statistics, not the personal battleground experiences that my grandfather was speaking of. He wasn't speaking about the final body count Franco, he was talking about what he saw with his own eyes.
You don't really want to compare Germans to the French do you?
Walt

Those are not statistics they are "generalities" just like the original posters comments.

Compare Germans to French, OK.
The French revolutionized warfare in the 19th Century, a long time before there was ever a thing called the German Army. French military history was THE curriculum at all of our military colleges until the late 19th century. The French Foreign Legion through their experience were light years ahead of any country in combating guerrilla warfare in modern times.

I just don't get this thread. There was a lot of anti-French sentiment in 03 because they would not buy into Bush's folley. But, history is history and there is nothing there to back up that the French Army was cowardice or more cowardice than any other army in the same situation.

P S My late great Uncle served in WW1 and he suffered from the effects of Mustard Gas all his life. I'll bet that had he had it all to do over again, he would have sprinted away from the front trying to avoid it!

Franco
12-22-2009, 04:49 PM
I just don't have the energy to hate several million people...most of whom I've never met. I do like the knives they produce in the Sabatier region. Best in the world. Vino isn't bad either.

The NAPA Valley Public Relations Firms can compare Ca. wines to French wines all day long but, the proof is in the glass. There is a reason those wines are considered the best in the world, and it has to do with the climate and soil.

Franco
12-22-2009, 04:51 PM
Dave.... I don't hate the French, but pops did. I'm gonna stop because just about everything Franco posts, I agree with. I hope he doesn't study Savate!!
Walt

Only when I'm watching UFC on Spike TV!;-)

K G
12-22-2009, 08:04 PM
WW1..Battle of the Somme, the Brits lost 80,000 men in 1 days fighting!

Check your stats, Franco.

http://www.firstworldwar.com/battles/somme.htm

Grandiose claims out the arse like that sorta shoot the rest of your arguments in the shorts....

What about Waterloo regards,

kg

WRL
12-22-2009, 08:15 PM
Do you hate them because they told us in 1962 that getting involved with Vietnam would be a mistake?

Umm....I believe we were in Vietnam BECAUSE of the French.

And we were there many many years before 1962.

"The Vietnam War was the legacy of France's failure to suppress nationalist forces in Indochina as it struggled to restore its colonial dominion after World War II. Led by Ho Chi Minh, a Communist-dominated revolutionary movement-the Viet Minh-waged a political and military struggle for Vietnamese independence that frustrated the efforts of the French and resulted ultimately in their ouster from the region. Vietnam had gained its independence from France in 1954. The country was divided into North and South. The North had a communist government led by Ho Chi Minh. The South had an anti-communist government led by Ngo Dinh Diem."

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/ops/vietnam.htm

http://www.digitalhistory.uh.edu/modules/vietnam/index.cfm

WRL

Leddyman
12-22-2009, 08:32 PM
If you bomb one of their trains you can elect a president of your choice.

WindyCreek
12-22-2009, 09:13 PM
The Fremch Foreign Legion is far from the current standard for Special Forces. Our own Special Operations Warriors from either our Army, Navy, Air Force or Marines would run circles around any of them. Also 22 SAS from the U.K. are just as good as our Special Operations Warriors.

P S S The French Foreign Legion is still the world standard for Special Forces. THey just do a better job of picking thier wars.[/QUOTE]

Franco
12-22-2009, 11:02 PM
Check your stats, Franco.

http://www.firstworldwar.com/battles/somme.htm

Grandiose claims out the arse like that sorta shoot the rest of your arguments in the shorts....

What about Waterloo regards,

kg

Long before the internet, I read about the Battle of the Somme and it had 80,000 casulties. Your source stated 58,000. I'm sure that if I researched it on-line, I could find other estimates. My point is that in 1916 they still hadn't figured how to fight the war. I don't remember the British Officer's name that first used walking artillary combined with tanks and infantry to finally start whipping the Germans in late 1918!

Franco
12-22-2009, 11:08 PM
Umm....I believe we were in Vietnam BECAUSE of the French.

And we were there many many years before 1962.

"The Vietnam War was the legacy of France's failure to suppress nationalist forces in Indochina as it struggled to restore its colonial dominion after World War II. Led by Ho Chi Minh, a Communist-dominated revolutionary movement-the Viet Minh-waged a political and military struggle for Vietnamese independence that frustrated the efforts of the French and resulted ultimately in their ouster from the region. Vietnam had gained its independence from France in 1954. The country was divided into North and South. The North had a communist government led by Ho Chi Minh. The South had an anti-communist government led by Ngo Dinh Diem."

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/ops/vietnam.htm

http://www.digitalhistory.uh.edu/modules/vietnam/index.cfm

WRL

The French warned us after thier defeat at Diem Ben Fu (sp) their air base that had to be evacuated and was the defeat that made them realize that Vietnam couldn't be won. It wasn't the people's will.

WE got in after they got out. Yes, we had observers then but, Kennedy and McNamara were warned!

Franco
12-22-2009, 11:12 PM
The Fremch Foreign Legion is far from the current standard for Special Forces. Our own Special Operations Warriors from either our Army, Navy, Air Force or Marines would run circles around any of them. Also 22 SAS from the U.K. are just as good as our Special Operations Warriors.

P S S The French Foreign Legion is still the world standard for Special Forces. THey just do a better job of picking thier wars.[/quote]

Yes, as Americans we are proud of our Special Forces.

But, many militaries around the world would disagree with your assessment.

ducknwork
12-23-2009, 08:36 AM
Have you ever typed 'french military victories' into Google and clicked 'Im feeling lucky'? Try it.

Come on....

You know you want to.

Just do it already!!

K G
12-23-2009, 09:05 AM
Long before the internet, I read about the Battle of the Somme and it had 80,000 casulties. Your source stated 58,000. I'm sure that if I researched it on-line, I could find other estimates. My point is that in 1916 they still hadn't figured how to fight the war. I don't remember the British Officer's name that first used walking artillary combined with tanks and infantry to finally start whipping the Germans in late 1918!

This was the first truly mechanized war, Franco. Aircraft and tanks both made their debut here...EVERYONE was trying to figure out how to fight this war...but please don't suggest that the French had anything to do with the winning of this war, except for providing the ground it was fought on.

The French warned us after thier defeat at Diem Ben Fu (sp) their air base that had to be evacuated and was the defeat that made them realize that Vietnam couldn't be won. It wasn't the people's will.

WE got in after they got out. Yes, we had observers then but, Kennedy and McNamara were warned!

The worst thing that happened to the US relative to Vietnam was Lyndon B. Johnson and Robert McNamara....and our involvement began in 1945...http://www.historyplace.com/unitedstates/vietnam/index.html. Johnson used the "attack" on the USS Maddox as an excuse to escalate our involvement and it was all down hill from there.

But, many militaries around the world would disagree with your assessment.

Help me understand why we should care what the other "militaries around the world" would think about "your assessment"....and where does your Love Jones for the French come from, Franco? Jean Lafitte?

kg

WindyCreek
12-23-2009, 09:28 AM
You made the statement the French Foreign Legion was the World Standard, what is your experience to make such a statement?

Also every foreign Special Operations force of the many I have worked with envy our units and warriors who make up the unit. Which miltary and which country disagree with my assessment? Just wondering obviously you have some info I don't.

But, many militaries around the world would disagree with your assessment.[/QUOTE]

subroc
12-23-2009, 09:43 AM
The NAPA Valley Public Relations Firms can compare Ca. wines to French wines all day long but, the proof is in the glass. There is a reason those wines are considered the best in the world, and it has to do with the climate and soil.

No wonder French wine is good most if not all French wine is made from grapes grown from cuttings originating in the United States.

There would be no French wine without the United States.

Eric Johnson
12-23-2009, 11:13 AM
I can add one and I personally know it to be true.

I was assigned to HQ USAFE in the mid-80's. We had just gotten a new 4 star. About 2 weeks after he reported in, he requested a briefing on the 4109 and directed all affected agencies to have folks there for his questions.

The 4109 was the master plan that dealt with any war against the Warsaw Pact countries. It was one intricate document and was about 5 3 inch ring binders . A change to a page by the Command Surgeon's could take a year's worth of coordination through all the other staff agencies. So, we listened with baited breath to the 2 hour parade of briefers and....nary a peep from the front row.

Finally the end of the briefing....dead silence. We were all waiting to hear the shoe drop. Then he spoke. "Well, I see only one change that needs to be made...."

Waiting, waiting....

"It's just not fair. When the war starts, we need to chop the French to the Warsaw Pact. We had 'em last time."

Then he got up and walked out to about 5 seconds of stunned silence.

Eric

subroc
12-23-2009, 11:20 AM
P S S The French Foreign Legion is still the world standard for Special Forces. THey just do a better job of picking thier wars.

Assuming that is right, and I don't concede it is, aren't those that populate the French Foreign Legion all "not" French.

Franco
12-23-2009, 12:00 PM
Assuming that is right, and I don't concede it is, aren't those that populate the French Foreign Legion all "not" French.

The NCO's come from all over the globe including France but, the commanders are French.

As an American I don't want to diss our Special Forces. But, to assume that our's is much better than any others is a bit of a streach.

Franco
12-23-2009, 12:07 PM
[quote=K G;540758]

This was the first truly mechanized war, Franco. Aircraft and tanks both made their debut here...EVERYONE was trying to figure out how to fight this war...but please don't suggest that the French had anything to do with the winning of this war, except for providing the ground it was fought on.

/quote]

Instead of making stuff up, could you quote me where I suggested the French won this war on thier own? If anything, I gave lots of credit the the Brit general that figured out how to break the stalemate by using artillary in concert with tanks and infantry! The French were however a big part of our efforts including the USA, British, Canadians and Australians.

I'm sticking up for the French because I think they get a bad rap because they didn't agree with George Bush! In hindsight, I would say that they were right in not buying into Bush's folley.

subroc
12-23-2009, 12:32 PM
Feel free to defend anyone you want but, I believe United States opinion against the French goes pretty far back, well before President George W. Bush was even alive. On the world stage, whenever The Unitd States needs French support, we can count on the French to stick it to us.

WindyCreek
12-23-2009, 12:57 PM
How about Posting #24, it would give some insight into your ability to judge American Special Operations which includes SEALS, Special Forces, Parajumpers + CCT, and MARSOC Marines as well as their support. It will also help in the ability to judge your statement below.

The NCO's come from all over the globe including France but, the commanders are French.

As an American I don't want to diss our Special Forces. But, to assume that our's is much better than any others is a bit of a streach.

BrianW
12-23-2009, 01:04 PM
I just don't get this thread. There was a lot of anti-French sentiment
I apologize if you took this as an "anti-French" slam, that was not the intention.
What was in the opening of my OP:

At a time when our president and other politicians tend to apologize for our country's pri or actions, here's a refresher on how some of our previous patriots handled negative comments about our country.
I am proud to be of this land, GOD BLESS AMERICA

PBO speaks to the world, including at Copenhagen, apologizing for our "arrogance", saying we act solely in our self interest, then takes lectures & books from those that oppose us instead of with pride & emphasizing our accomplishments/efforts to improve the world.
This is emboldening our enemies who have sworn to "wipe us from the pages of history". Obama needs to change his words, the ones he's using are having no effect on Mahmoud. Even Hillary admits that.

Clay Rogers
12-23-2009, 02:26 PM

As a former soldier, I can tell you that without a doubt, we have the best special forces out there. I know this, because we have put a hurting on some of the "best" other countries had to offer. I was a soldier and am not afraid to admit this, but them Navy Seals, tough buddy, tough!

Clay Rogers
12-23-2009, 02:27 PM
How about Posting #24, it would give some insight into your ability to judge American Special Operations which includes SEALS, Special Forces, Parajumpers + CCT, and MARSOC Marines as well as their support. It will also help in the ability to judge your statement below.

Hey dude, don't leave out us Ranger types!

Fowlfeller1100
12-23-2009, 02:34 PM
[QUOTE=Franco;540385]

P S S The French Foreign Legion is still the world standard for Special Forces. QUOTE]

(emphasis mine), according to wikipedia actual frenchies make up less than 1/4 of the recruits (2007 data)...

WindyCreek
12-23-2009, 03:12 PM
My oversight and I apologize RLTW & NSDQ! I have many friends who are Rangers that I probably now owe beer.

Hey dude, don't leave out us Ranger types!

JDogger
12-28-2009, 11:32 PM
Yeah... the arrogance of the French. Slimely socialists, one and all. I understand that the French don't even have a word for entrenpeneur...JD

K G
12-29-2009, 09:52 AM
Yeah... the arrogance of the French. Slimely socialists, one and all. I understand that the French don't even have a word for entrenpeneur...JD

They don't have a word for entrepreneur, either.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/entrepreneur

Letting your reach exceed your grasp regards, ;-)

kg

Franco
12-29-2009, 11:09 AM
So, if an entrepreneur ran a business out of his garage, how French would they be?

Roger Perry
12-29-2009, 11:21 AM

kg

The Origins of the Word. Entrepreneurs, Entrepreneurship, Entrepreneurial. These three words all come from the French verb entreprendre, meaning "to undertake."

http://www.snopes.com/quotes/bush.asp

K G
12-29-2009, 11:41 AM
None of those words come of JDog's word, Roger: entrenpeneur

You totally missed the point (as usual) regards, :rolleyes:

kg

Roger Perry
12-29-2009, 11:52 AM
None of those words come of JDog's word, Roger: entrenpeneur

You totally missed the point (as usual) regards, :rolleyes:

kg

Originally Posted by K G http://www.retrievertraining.net/forums/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.retrievertraining.net/forums/showthread.php?p=542863#post542863)

No, I did not miss the point. Just responding to your statement.

JDogger
12-29-2009, 12:25 PM

kg

I was tired.
Tell me you got the sarcasm anyway.:)

K G
12-29-2009, 01:06 PM
Originally Posted by K G http://www.retrievertraining.net/forums/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.retrievertraining.net/forums/showthread.php?p=542863#post542863)

No, I did not miss the point. Just responding to your statement.

Your response reeks with missing the point.....:rolleyes:

JDog misspelled entrepreneur "entrenpeneur." I put entrepreneur in italics and provided the definition and Merriam-Webster's spelling to illustrate my point.

That you followed with multiple correct spellings, a definition, and info from Snopes.com is rampant proof that you missed the point.

At best, you're redundant, Roger....at worst....well, there's that pesky old RTF "terms of service" isn't there...;-)

And yes, JDog...I got the sarcasm...as I hope you did as well. Roger, however........................................... .......:cool:

kg