PDA

View Full Version : food stamps again!

Juli H
01-04-2010, 02:07 PM
I was talking with the owner and manager of the store I work at..... in two days (first two days of the month 2,3) the store made $32,000 in food stamp sales alone...keep in mind this is a store that serves a population of about 1700 people (area wide, possibly a little more).... that is 16,000 a day.... if there was 300 food stamp sales per day, that would be over $500 per customer.....I would guess that in the first 2-3 days of the month most food stamp users have spent about half of their 'allotted' money..... I would venture to say that the store makes about (not in profit, mind you) $75K per month on food stamps alone..I'd like to know the real numbers....LOL....

In fact, the owner was having a heated conversation with his brother about the fact that if it was NOT for food stamps, the store would NOT be in business.....I'd have to say he was right ...

how's that for 'spreading the wealth'? A good part of MY paycheck comes as a result of YOUR tax dollars paying for someone else's laziness!

Juli

dnf777
01-04-2010, 04:38 PM
What did your cigarette sales do during that period? I don't mind as much if people buy genuine food with their assistance, but cigarettes and lotto tickets chaps my #$$!

Buzz
01-04-2010, 05:39 PM
I'd rather my tax money go to feeding people, rather than blowing them up.

Not everyone who is unemployed these days is lazy. I'm just glad I still have a job and paying taxes, and not buying food with food stamps.

Juli H
01-04-2010, 06:47 PM
What did your cigarette sales do during that period? I don't mind as much if people buy genuine food with their assistance, but cigarettes and lotto tickets chaps my #$$!

well,

I would venture to say that about 75% of food stamp sales also include tobacco sales....

If I can time it right, one of these days I am going to make a bunch of duplicate receipts that show what these people actually buy ( have to do it when it is a little slower..It might look a little funny if I was making duplicate receipts with a line of other food stampers waiting to be rung up.LOL...I will scan them (just the items and the total) and let you all see....It is outrageous....to say the least.

Juli

Randy Spangler
01-04-2010, 07:04 PM
I happened to hear a Food Supply/Nutrition expert on the radio a couple of months ago. Sorry I can't remember his name or credentials, but one of his points that really stuck with me was that fact that he stated, right now is the worst time in history for people in the US to recieve some form of goverment and or food subsidy. Currently 60 million Americans were recieving some form of help with the nutrition needs either with goverment food stamps, food pantrys, meals on wheels, charitable soup kitchens etc.
That works out to about 1 in every 6 Americans.
He also had done an extensive experiment on financially how much money it takes per week for a person to survive just for food. He started out a $60 per week for 4 weeks and then decreased it by $10 every 4 weeks. He commented at $40, $50, $60, per week a single person could do OK. After he dropped to $30 per week, it really started to tighten up. He stated that a person tended to trend towards more of the junk type food that cost less and gave you more of a immediate satisfaction. Also the more nutritious fresh fruits, vegtables, and better cuts of meat, were priced to high. The other thing that you tend to do is start eliminating 1 meal a day and "saving" that food for your main meal.
His last comment on this excerise was that somewhere between $15 and $20 a week, a person cannot survive without some sort of assistance.

dnf777
01-04-2010, 07:13 PM
My good friend from Sri Lanka pointed out to me one day how different America is from his country. He noted that in Sri Lanka, only the rich people are overweight. In America, the poorest are the largest. He said in Sri Lanka, "poor people are very very skinny."

Buzz
01-04-2010, 07:16 PM
but one of his points that really stuck with me was that fact that he stated, right now is the worst time in history for people in the US to recieve some form of goverment and or food subsidy.

By this, did you mean that this is one of the worst times for giving people assistance, or did you mean that the numbers of people receiving assistance was at an all time historic high?

I don't feel that people should be able to buy cigarettes with food stamps. Can they actually do that? If not, I can imagine them paying for the food with food stamps, and paying for the tobacco with any cash they might have.

Juli H
01-04-2010, 07:17 PM
I happened to hear a Food Supply/Nutrition expert on the radio a couple of months ago. Sorry I can't remember his name or credentials, but one of his points that really stuck with me was that fact that he stated, right now is the worst time in history for people in the US to recieve some form of goverment and or food subsidy. Currently 60 million Americans were recieving some form of help with the nutrition needs either with goverment food stamps, food pantrys, meals on wheels, charitable soup kitchens etc.
He also had done an extensive experiment on financially how much money it takes per week for a person to survive just for food. He started out a $60 per week for 4 weeks and then decreased it by $10 every 4 weeks. He commented at $40, $50, $60, per week a single person could do OK. After he dropped to $30 per week, it really started to tighten up. He stated that a person tended to trend towards more of the junk type food that cost less and gave you more of a immediate satisfaction. Also the more nutritious fresh fruits, vegtables, and better cuts of meat, were priced to high. The other thing that you tend to do is start eliminating 1 meal a day and "saving" that food for your main meal.
His last comment on this excerise was that somewhere between $15 and $20 a week, a person cannot survive without some sort of assistance.

That is very interesting.... Better cuts of meat are quite commonly purchased with food stamps here...new york steak, T bone, shrimp, etc.....

Another interesting thing...many food stampers here are overweight or obese....go figure...
Juli

dnf777
01-04-2010, 07:46 PM
That is very interesting.... Better cuts of meat are quite commonly purchased with food stamps here...new york steak, T bone, shrimp, etc.....

Another interesting thing...many food stampers here are overweight or obese....go figure...
Juli

If I could get research funding, I would like to validate my concept of a nation's "twinkie index". That is the number of people living in a state, divided by the number of twinkies sold in that same state per year. I suspect obesity, Diabetes, hypertension, dyslipidemia, depression and reflux would correlate directly with the twinkie index. Lifespan would inversely correlate. When you consider the cost of common drugs to treat those nutritional diseases, it will stagger you. I'm not impugning twinkies per se, but I bet it would serve as an accurate surrogate marker for poor nutrition in a given population.

badbullgator
01-04-2010, 07:59 PM
One of my best friends just told me he is in no hurry to find a job because with unenployement and FS for him and his kids he is only making $150 less a week than he was working. I would rather have the $150 but he is lazy and happy to use us for all he can. Not for nothing but he is also a big obongo fan

J. Walker
01-04-2010, 08:19 PM
Sorry but I have to chime in on this. When I was in my 15, my father came home one day and said "I'm leaving." He packed up his stuff, left, and we didn't hear from him for months. Needless to say, the bank accounts were emptied before he left. This was after my mother had to quit her job due to surgery. Money from my uncles and food stamps kept us afloat until my father's whopping $130 per month in child support kicked in. However, there was none of that pre-packaged stuff for us. My mother bought cheap hamburger patties and huge institutional cans of green beens and other vegetables at a wholesaler. We had loads of dry, not canned, beans and rice. We had spaghetti with a lot more pasta than meat and so on. When I worked at a grocery store in college, I got reprimanded for a comment made to some people using food stamps to buy more expensive food like lobster and junk. If it were up to me, first, the federal food stamp program would be gone and instead administered at the state or county level. The reason being that the federal program is only 24% efficient. In other words, for every $1.00 that goes into the program, only $0.24 ultimately make it to the beneficiary. The next thing would be that only certain foods would qualify: bread, eggs, milk, 73% lean hamburger, whole chickens, whole turkeys, vegetables, fruit, beans, and rice would have to be fresh, frozen or canned (in certain types; beans or rice would have to be dry), pasta, and certain other foods, flour, corn meal, etc. You get the picture. No boxed cereals would be allowed; it would be oat meal, take it or leave it. Basically, people truly in need would be provided the means to not only eat cheaper but also healthier.

Randy Spangler
01-04-2010, 09:28 PM
By this, did you mean that this is one of the worst times for giving people assistance, or did you mean that the numbers of people receiving assistance was at an all time historic high?

I don't feel that people should be able to buy cigarettes with food stamps. Can they actually do that? If not, I can imagine them paying for the food with food stamps, and paying for the tobacco with any cash they might have.

My impression from his comment on this was both. He said that 60 Million people was an all time high at 1 out of every 6 Americans and also highest in history. Think about that, do 1 of every 6 people you know recieve some form of food subsidy?

ducknwork
01-05-2010, 07:53 AM

Not so sure about this...

Since we have gotten a little more serious about Dave Ramsey, we are spending $60-$80 per week for my family of four, plus one on the way. Diapers, wipes, makeup, etc included. I'm not starving and I am not gaining any weight from eating crap either. Then again, I am not eating shrimp and I can't remember the last steak I had...

Leddyman
01-05-2010, 12:51 PM
There was a guy at the grocery store that had food stamps. I was jealous of the food in his buggy. I can not afford to spend the money he did for the steaks and things he had. O.K. I could now but not then, I did not have it.

He had dog food in his buggy. The manager told him dog food did not qualify for food stamps. He said that's O.K. my dog likes steak and put it back and got some more steaks.

twall
01-05-2010, 01:24 PM
I wonder if a program along the lines of WIC would be more beneficial all the way around. My understanding of WIC is that the mothers get coupons for an item, like a gallon of milk. the store is then reimbursed for the milk. Some farmers I used to work with got in a program to accept vouchers at their farmstands for fresh produce. This provides the recipients the nutritious food they need without the ability to buy junk food.

Administrative costs may increase a little. That would be offset by improved nutrition and hopefully, improved health.

There will always be fraud/misuse of the system. There will always be those who only want a hand-out, not a hand-up.

Tom

Juli H
01-05-2010, 01:37 PM
My impression from his comment on this was both. He said that 60 Million people was an all time high at 1 out of every 6 Americans and also highest in history. Think about that, do 1 of every 6 people you know recieve some form of food subsidy?

Around here, it is MUCH higher than 1/6.....I'd like to know the actual numbers..

scary, huh?

Juli

Juli H
01-05-2010, 01:38 PM
I wonder if a program along the lines of WIC would be more beneficial all the way around. My understanding of WIC is that the mothers get coupons for an item, like a gallon of milk. the store is then reimbursed for the milk. Some farmers I used to work with got in a program to accept vouchers at their farmstands for fresh produce. This provides the recipients the nutritious food they need without the ability to buy junk food.

Administrative costs may increase a little. That would be offset by improved nutrition and hopefully, improved health.

There will always be fraud/misuse of the system. There will always be those who only want a hand-out, not a hand-up.

Tom

This would be ideal.... But GOOD luck getting the gov't to reform the program....the junk food companies make WAAAAY too much money from food stamps....

dnf777
01-05-2010, 02:03 PM
Tom

I think that is a great idea. I know from personal experience that WIC is an excellent program. Be careful though, I was called a mooch who owes everyone "big" for taking WIC benefits when my wife and I were starting out.:rolleyes: I would rather my tax dollars go to helping women with infants and children than an extra million dollars in bonuses for AIG execs anyday!

Buzz
01-05-2010, 02:10 PM
Not so sure about this...

Since we have gotten a little more serious about Dave Ramsey, we are spending $60-$80 per week for my family of four, plus one on the way. Diapers, wipes, makeup, etc included. I'm not starving and I am not gaining any weight from eating crap either. Then again, I am not eating shrimp and I can't remember the last steak I had...

I'm glad I'm not eating at your house. Three meals a day comes to 21/week. For a family of 4, that's 84 meals a week. On $60-80/week, that comes to $.71-.95/meal. I might make it if I ate mac & cheese and cereal at every meal.

badbullgator
01-05-2010, 02:41 PM

Tom

The problem with this is that while the intent is good the reality is not a reflection of the intent. At least twice a week (yeah I hit the grocery pretty much daily on the way home) there is WIC recipient in front of me with her groceries in two groups, the cheese, milk…that WIC provided for and then the “other” stuff. 9 times out of 10 the other includes steak, cigarettes, beer, soda, wine… Sorry if you can afford to buy beer, soda, cigs, and what not you do not need my money to buy milk and cheese. I have no desire to help you with your children in any way. DNF your story does nothing to make me feel any better about it, so you are saying we helped to support you while you worked toward your medical degree? Cool, but what have you done for me? I have not seen a check from your success that you gained while taking my money. If you can’t afford to have kids keep your pants on or do something to prevent it and no I do not want the goberment to give you BC so you don’t continue to populate the earth.

Hoosier
01-05-2010, 02:58 PM
I'm glad I'm not eating at your house. Three meals a day comes to 21/week. For a family of 4, that's 84 meals a week. On $60-80/week, that comes to $.71-.95/meal. I might make it if I ate mac & cheese and cereal at every meal.

And you should be able to eat what ever you want when it's bought with "Your hard earned money".

TN_LAB
01-05-2010, 02:59 PM

You don't have to eat cereal and/or mac n cheese at EVERY meal, but you do have to be careful and make wise decisions.

Interestingly enough, I've not actually put a pencil to it, but I know we too have gotten a little better with stretching a dollar....lots of soup and/or leftover casseroles :p

I'm sure we could do an even better job, if push came to shove (let's hope it doesn't).

dnf777
01-05-2010, 03:52 PM
You don't have to eat cereal and/or mac n cheese at EVERY meal, but you do have to be careful and make wise decisions.

Interestingly enough, I've not actually put a pencil to it, but I know we too have gotten a little better with stretching a dollar....lots of soup and/or leftover casseroles :p

I'm sure we could do an even better job, if push came to shove (let's hope it doesn't).

Ramen noodles and a flintstone vitamin....all you need! Don't ask.

starjack
01-05-2010, 05:29 PM
Sorry but I have to chime in on this. When I was in my 15, my father came home one day and said "I'm leaving." He packed up his stuff, left, and we didn't hear from him for months. Needless to say, the bank accounts were emptied before he left. This was after my mother had to quit her job due to surgery. Money from my uncles and food stamps kept us afloat until my father's whopping $130 per month in child support kicked in. However, there was none of that pre-packaged stuff for us. My mother bought cheap hamburger patties and huge institutional cans of green beens and other vegetables at a wholesaler. We had loads of dry, not canned, beans and rice. We had spaghetti with a lot more pasta than meat and so on. When I worked at a grocery store in college, I got reprimanded for a comment made to some people using food stamps to buy more expensive food like lobster and junk. If it were up to me, first, the federal food stamp program would be gone and instead administered at the state or county level. The reason being that the federal program is only 24% efficient. In other words, for every $1.00 that goes into the program, only $0.24 ultimately make it to the beneficiary. The next thing would be that only certain foods would qualify: bread, eggs, milk, 73% lean hamburger, whole chickens, whole turkeys, vegetables, fruit, beans, and rice would have to be fresh, frozen or canned (in certain types; beans or rice would have to be dry), pasta, and certain other foods, flour, corn meal, etc. You get the picture. No boxed cereals would be allowed; it would be oat meal, take it or leave it. Basically, people truly in need would be provided the means to not only eat cheaper but also healthier.

WHAT YOU SAY IS SO TRUE BUT IT WILL NOT EVER HAPPEN NOT WITH OUR GOVERMENT THEY THINK THERE SMARTER THAN EVERYBODY ELSE THATS WHY THERE IN WASHINGTON.

ErinsEdge
01-05-2010, 06:01 PM
I'm glad I'm not eating at your house. Three meals a day comes to 21/week. For a family of 4, that's 84 meals a week. On $60-80/week, that comes to $.71-.95/meal. I might make it if I ate mac & cheese and cereal at every meal.I believe that was $60-$80 a person not a family. That's $2.85 a meal. That is certainly very do-able because breakfast and lunch would be less if you made your own lunch. If you shop sales and make your meals from scratch from those items, you can eat very well with fruits vegetables, meats, whole wheat bread, and dairy. No junk or convenience. $20 would be pushing it but I could do it. Stews, casseroles, soups and yes, a bag of potatoes can go a long way.

Terri
01-05-2010, 06:25 PM
Maybe the government should tell us all what we can buy at the store. Aren't most people one pay check away from needing a hand out? And since we will have mandated government health insurance more reason to limit what people eat? How do we know that the people that are on food stamps were not FAT and smokers before they lost their jobs? Do we have to do a fifty million dollar study to find out?

If everyone who isn't on government aid discloses our bad and good habits now we can save the money that would have gone into the fact finding study. I'll start. Not on any aid, non-smoker, but a little round in the middle. Bad habits like to eat red meat and have a soda each day. Good habits I eat fish and my dog makes sure I get at least 30 minutes of exercise each day.

Terri

Juli H
01-05-2010, 06:33 PM
How do we know that the people that are on food stamps were not FAT and smokers before they lost their jobs?
Terri

I'd like to know how many people on welfare have NEVER had a job (and not because they weren't able)...I bet you'd be surprised at how high the number is.....

Juli

YardleyLabs
01-05-2010, 07:44 PM
I'd like to know how many people on welfare have NEVER had a job (and not because they weren't able)...I bet you'd be surprised at how high the number is.....

Juli
A significant percentage of current welfare recipients are employed part time or full time while receiving welfare and most have worked before. Almost half have severe mental and/or physical problems that make them virtually unemployable other than in menial jobs with employers that are prepared to make significant accommodations to help them manage. Still others are dealing with (or not dealing with) substance abuse problems, criminal records that make employers unwilling to consider them, and virtual or complete illiteracy. If one considers the population of those that have received welfare at some time in their lives, most are now working. The welfare reform changes in 1996 have actually helped redefine the pattern of welfare dependency, although the legal changes may have been less important than the boom in employment during the Clinton administration.

It is often surprising how mobile the populations are at the bottom of the food chain. One of my first jobs (1971) involved working with programs serving the Bowery in New York City. My vision of "Bowery bums" was always of older alcoholics who had sunk into the final stages of alcoholic dementia and would remain on the streets until they died. In some ways, my understanding had some truth. However, when we studied the Bowery population more closely, we found that on average the homeless bums on the streets had been there less than 6-8 weeks.

Most had been in steady jobs and often steady family lives only months before. Something happened, they went on a binge, and ended up on the street. After a period of weeks, they would end up in a hospital, detox program, or jail. They would emerge from the Bowery back into jobs. Unfortunately, whether it took months or years, most would be back again. The underlying problems that brought them to the Bowery the first time were seldom truly curable.

The same pattern holds true for homeless families. Most are employed. With assistance, most can and will stabilize themselves. For many, the circumstances that brought them to the bottom were exceptional -- a death, major illness, or an abusive spouse. For many of these, a hand up is enough to help them avoid ever becoming dependent again. For others, however, the circumstances precipitating their problems are essentially permanent -- mental problems, physical problems, illiteracy, substance abuse, etc. -- and they will end up in trouble again at some point in the future.

Hopefully the programs that assist them to recover will delay their return to dependency and help to break the cycle for the children that follow them on their trips up and down the roller coaster on which they live.

Hew
01-06-2010, 07:20 AM
LOL. Ah, I remember those days. Good times. Good times. Scurvy is not nearly as bad as you read about in books. ;-)

TN_LAB
01-06-2010, 09:38 AM

Sounds like you're reminiscing about college. :p

Or as is the case with my kids sometimes.....PB sandwich w/sugar saturated cold cereal and a vitamin...thank goodness they fortify those foods with vitamins (actually my kids do a pretty good job of eating). I have instituted the same treatment with my kids as I do with my dog "nobody ever died from skipping one meal and I ain't gonna worry about you kids until you go a straight 36 hours without eating."

Buzz
01-06-2010, 09:49 AM
Dave,

I worked in the student union while I was in college. I swept the floors, emptied the garbage cans, and cleaned the kitchen. I once went a week eating nothing but peanut butter out of a jar and drinking milk. It was all I had until payday, books and tuition had drained me. I mentioned it to the chef there when he was working late one day. The guy used to cook for wedding receptions and big dinners hosted by the administration, in addition to cooking for what was served to students at noon and supper. He started putting meals in the oven on warm for me to sneak during my shift. Stuff like prime rib, mashed potatoes & gravy, green beans, squash, sweet potatoes. Yum. He said that he wanted to show his appreciation for finally having a student worker that actually got the grill, stove, and kitchen clean each night so he didn't need to re-do things in the morning. Shame on me for losing contact with the guy...

dback
01-06-2010, 09:50 AM
LOL. Ah, I remember those days. Good times. Good times. Scurvy is not nearly as bad as you read about in books. ;-)

:-) What was the standard 'per page' typing cost in Ramen at Florida? We had some 'serious' capitalists here.

I'll bet Jeff has to research somewhere other than his 'Democrat Think Tank' website for the answer to this one. At least the 'Ramen' part will be easy. :-)

YardleyLabs
01-06-2010, 10:54 AM
:-) What was the standard 'per page' typing cost in Ramen at Florida? We had some 'serious' capitalists here.

I'll bet Jeff has to research somewhere other than his 'Democrat Think Tank' website for the answer to this one. At least the 'Ramen' part will be easy. :-)
My son and daughter in law won first and third prize respectively for recipes for cooking Ramen in a Brooklyn competition. Beyond that I have no expertise. What 'Democrat Think Tank' do you think I check for my posts on POTUS? I probably frequent conservative sites much more often than liberal ones as I look up the original source of much of the misinformation posted here. I doubt you can find many instances where I have quoted or referenced anything from a "Liberal" site. I do not trust them any more than I trust the conservative sites. Both are high on agendas and short on integrity.

Hoosier
01-06-2010, 11:12 AM
My son and daughter in law won first and third prize respectively for recipes for cooking Ramen in a Brooklyn competition. Beyond that I have no expertise. What 'Democrat Think Tank' do you think I check for my posts on POTUS? I probably frequent conservative sites much more often than liberal ones as I look up the original source of much of the misinformation posted here. I doubt you can find many instances where I have quoted or referenced anything from a "Liberal" site. I do not trust them any more than I trust the conservative sites. Both are high on agendas and short on integrity.

I bet that Ramen Lobster Bisque was yummy.

YardleyLabs
01-06-2010, 11:27 AM
I bet that Ramen Lobster Bisque was yummy.
Actually, Vietnamese Beef and Ramen Salad:

OK. This is my son's recipe. Obviously, using cheap noodles doesn't necessarily mean a cheap meal.

Vietnamese Beef and Ramen Salad

Makes 6 servings

1lb NY strip steak
1 thai chili, finely chopped
juice of 1 lime
salt, pepper to taste
1 tbsp butter
1 tbsp olive oil

Appx. 15 green onions (2 bunches) sliced on the bias (up to tender green parts)
2 tbsp fresh mint, coarsely chopped
2 tbsp fresh basic, coarsely chopped
4 tbsp fresh cilantro, coarsely chopped
2 red bell peppers, cut into thin matchsticks
˝ cup bean sprouts

5-6 packages of ramen noodles (no flavor packets)

Dressing:
3-4 tbsp fish sauce
4 cloves garlic, minced
3 thai chilies, minced
water to taste
2-3 tbsp sugar
juice of 7 limes

Season steak with salt, pepper, some chili, and the juice of one lime. Bring to room temperature.
Heat 1 tbsp butter and 1 tbsp olive oil in a frying pan on high heat; sear steak for approximately 3 min per side.
Put steak in a 375 degree oven until rare (125 degrees).
Let steak rest for 15 minutes and slice thinly.

Mix steak, green onions, herbs, peppers, and bean sprouts in a bowl with dressing to taste. Let stand for 45 minutes.

Cook noodles in boiling water until al dente (appx 3 minutes).

Combine noodles with sauce, adjusting dressing and other seasonings to taste.

My son noted that only 2-3 packages of the noodles were actually needed.

Hoosier
01-06-2010, 11:51 AM
Thanks Jeff, that looks good. I'll have to try it.

dnf777
01-06-2010, 11:56 AM
Dave,

I worked in the student union while I was in college. I swept the floors, emptied the garbage cans, and cleaned the kitchen. I once went a week eating nothing but peanut butter out of a jar and drinking milk. It was all I had until payday, books and tuition had drained me. I mentioned it to the chef there when he was working late one day. The guy used to cook for wedding receptions and big dinners hosted by the administration, in addition to cooking for what was served to students at noon and supper. He started putting meals in the oven on warm for me to sneak during my shift. Stuff like prime rib, mashed potatoes & gravy, green beans, squash, sweet potatoes. Yum. He said that he wanted to show his appreciation for finally having a student worker that actually got the grill, stove, and kitchen clean each night so he didn't need to re-do things in the morning. Shame on me for losing contact with the guy...

Amazing how simple acts of kindness are not soon forgotten.

Hoosier
01-06-2010, 11:58 AM
Amazing how simple acts of kindness are not soon forgotten.

So stealing food and giving it to Buzz is a good thing? He should have been fired and put in jail.

K G
01-06-2010, 12:25 PM
So stealing food and giving it to Buzz is a good thing? He should have been fired and put in jail.

Wow....this is harsh....:o

Compassion is a crime? :confused: The chef used his discretion as a reward mechanism...win/win is what I call it...:D

Must be cold in Indiana today.......

kg

Buzz
01-06-2010, 12:55 PM

I highly doubt he would have even been reprimanded. He was much loved by everyone, especially his bosses. The guy was a first rate chef. It was 100% up to him what got done with leftovers. Some he sent down to the local shelter, with the administration's blessing.

dnf777
01-06-2010, 02:26 PM

On second thought, you're right. As Clint Eastwood said in a move, he should have been shot, his whole family shot, and his house burned down. Hell, shoot his dog too while you're at it! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

(just wanted to make sure the sarcasm came through)

Hoosier
01-06-2010, 03:55 PM
Theft is theft no matter how you try and justify it. The same as crossing our borders is a crime, no matter how it's justified.

dback
01-06-2010, 03:57 PM

Panty's a size small today Jeff??? Those little 'smiley faces' were put there to indicate humor. Point being that (not having attended one myself) I doubt Ramen noodles were used as a barter item at Ivy League institutions as is a common practice on most public (read 'regular') campuses. HEW cracked a joke about Ramen which proves that Florida is no different then the rest of us....hell....they even lost a football game this year;-)

Now about the 'Think Tank'....I'm going to give you credit. Initially (even before POTUS) I suspected you of plagiarism and tracked some of your comments. I was surprised to find that there was no consistent pattern in your responses and that (as you suggested) they rarely seemed to rely heavily on liberal websites. I was actually discussing you and your view points with a professor friend about a year ago. His comment was that many Ivy League students are voracious readers and would account for your numerous well-spoken (however misguided) posts. You will notice that I post at a rate of about once ever 4 days or less (and most of those are about football) so I mostly read and regardless of what you may believe I even enjoy an occasional (very damn occasional I'll add) post of yours. I'm in a great mood right now so understand that this is a compliment....with a little humor added.

Buzz
01-06-2010, 04:12 PM
Now about the 'Think Tank'....I'm going to give you credit. Initially (even before POTUS) I suspected you of plagiarism and tracked some of your comments. I was surprised to find that there was no consistent pattern in your responses and that (as you suggested) they rarely seemed to rely heavily on liberal websites. I was actually discussing you and your view points with a professor friend about a year ago. His comment was that many Ivy League students are voracious readers and would account for your numerous well-spoken (however misguided) posts. You will notice that I post at a rate of about once ever 4 days or less (and most of those are about football) so I mostly read and regardless of what you may believe I even enjoy an occasional (very damn occasional I'll add) post of yours. I'm in a great mood right now so understand that this is a compliment....with a little humor added.

You have to watch those Ivy League types... :rolleyes:

dback
01-06-2010, 04:21 PM
You have to watch those Ivy League types... :rolleyes:

Never once...not a single time...even consider that GWB was relying on 'Think Tanks' :-) :-) Com'on .... that one was cute!

K G
01-06-2010, 04:59 PM
Theft is theft no matter how you try and justify it. The same as crossing our borders is a crime, no matter how it's justified.

That you would call what the chef did for Buzz "theft," speaks volumes....

kg

luvmylabs23139
01-06-2010, 06:48 PM

No idea about Florida but at UCONN Ramen was not acceptable currency. Charges for such services were always of the adult beverage nature!
OH, and the use of a fully completed accounting 101 practice workbook that the borrower had to fill in their own by hand, using the info in the original, as required to be turned in to pass the class regardless of your test grades could cost in the range of um a keg or 2 depending upon how desperate the , err, person in need was for graduation. Think marketing majors!!!
10 keg profit one semester!!!!!!!

luvmylabs23139
01-06-2010, 07:01 PM

How is throwing leftovers in a fridge for a hard working student, rather than tossing them in the trash, theft???????
Personally I would consider it a well earned bonus for a job well done.
IT is conserving our natural resources, waste not want not, what ever.

Would you feel differently if rather than toss the leftovers in the trash the chef gave them to the homeless? By your definition that would also be theft!!!!!

Hoosier
01-06-2010, 08:57 PM
That you would call what the chef did for Buzz "theft," speaks volumes....

kg

So do you need any office supplies? I can grab you some tomorrow. I'm pretty charitable with stuff other people paid for.

JDogger
01-06-2010, 09:39 PM
So do you need any office supplies? I can grab you some tomorrow. I'm pretty charitable with stuff other people paid for.

So you agree???

The Chef in question was within his authority, as chef, to dispense food. It's called his "job".
You as a conservative republican, wish to indict him, for something that is of nothing of your concern? You amaze me. Do you realize your hypocrisy?

Even kg chastised you, and he is a tough task master.

At my work, I supply my own pens, pencils, hand-held calculator, etc. Because it is my job to be prepared to initiate and close sales.

If a chef, chooses to trade food for performance in the kitchen, it is his choice. He is the the CEO in his environment.

If you choose to steal pens and copy paper from your employer... go for it.

I'll for once agree with kg. Your statement speaks volumes.

JD

Hoosier
01-06-2010, 11:17 PM
So you agree???

The Chef in question was within his authority, as chef, to dispense food. It's called his "job".
You as a conservative republican, wish to indict him, for something that is of nothing of your concern? You amaze me. Do you realize your hypocrisy?

Even kg chastised you, and he is a tough task master.

At my work, I supply my own pens, pencils, hand-held calculator, etc. Because it is my job to be prepared to initiate and close sales.

If a chef, chooses to trade food for performance in the kitchen, it is his choice. He is the the CEO in his environment.

If you choose to steal pens and copy paper from your employer... go for it.

I'll for once agree with kg. Your statement speaks volumes.

JD

Unless the chef owned the restaurant, it wasn't his to give away.

JDogger
01-06-2010, 11:46 PM
Unless the chef owned the restaurant, it wasn't his to give away.

Are you familiar, in any way, that restaurants are managed.

Give up, you lose.

JD

Even your guys are calling you on this.

Peckerhead to the end regards,

Come on kg, 'splain it to him.

Ok I"ll try.

I own a restaurant. I hire a chef. I give him complete management authority. He makes his own decisions without calling me to ask "what should I do" That's his job.
Do you begin to get it Tremayne?

As owner, I give him his own descretion to make decisions in my absence.

Please tell me you get it Hoosier?

Juli H
01-07-2010, 12:14 AM
Unless the owner had a specific 'rule' against such use of leftovers, then I would see no problem....Most of the time, when you hire on at a restaurant, these things are discussed (at least they were when I worked at one)......

Juli

Hoosier
01-07-2010, 04:15 AM
Unless the owner had a specific 'rule' against such use of leftovers, then I would see no problem....Most of the time, when you hire on at a restaurant, these things are discussed (at least they were when I worked at one)......

Juli

True, and I can agree with that.

Here is an example of what I base my beliefs on.

I had a small contracting business for several years. One day I was sitting at a stop light across the street from a store front we were working on, and I see the guy I had running that job out in the parking lot giving one of his friends a box of drywall screws. The screws only cost about $28 at the time, and was taken from a job that I had supplied probably around $25,000 in materials on. So a very small percentage of the materials.

I pulled up to the job, and asked about it. He told me he was just helping a buddy out, and it was just a box of screws. Well, I fired him on the spot for stealing.

This guy had been working for me for about five years, and after he was fired the other guys started telling me about the other small things he had taken. Turns out the guy had finished his basement with "left overs" from my jobs; a lot of which he had measured, and estimated. He had not only taken odds and ends from me, but had taken odds and ends from jobs that other contractors had supplied (boxes of can lights, chalking, ect, ect). This stuff had been taken over the course of about five years, and was just a bunch of small things at a time. Five left over sheets of sheetrock, 7 or eight studs, ect.

I would have given the guy a lot of the stuff had he asked, but if asked I would have noticed the pattern and cut it off when I felt it was out of hand. The point is, I paid for it, and whether or not it was taken should have been up to me. I do know that he wouldn't have been given permission to take as much as he did. I can now account for about $30,000 in stuff that was taken one little theft at a time, and that's just what I know about. That doesn't account for the stuff that was probably taken by the guys that seen him taking things and thinking that gave them justification for taking little things themselves.

I don't care for the mentality of "it's just a small thing so I can take it", no matter how it's justified. Giving away a 5 or 10 dollar meal every day is theft in the same way the guy giving away a box of screws, that I bought, to his buddy was theft.

Of course your right, if he had standing permission to give away meals as he seen fit, then that's a different story.

Hew
01-07-2010, 05:13 AM
I don't know enough about Buzz's anecdote to have an opinion one way or the other, but I TOTALLY understand and agree with the gist of Hoosier's last post. Stealing is stealing, and if someone's stealing small stuff the chances are they're stealing a lot of it or will steal bigger stuff if given the opportunity. I've seen it as an employee and an employer. I'm probably like you Hoosier...I believe I'm very generous to the folks who work for me, but I've got zero tolerance for petty theft or lying to me. I suspect that some of the folks wailing on Hoosier have never been the ones buying the food or paperclips that end up in someone else's belly or home other than who it was intended for. It kinda changes your perspective. ;-):rolleyes:

FWIW...a buddy owns a buffet pizza restaurant. He showed up at closing time one night and was sitting in a car in the parking lot on the phone. As the employees start filing out they each have a pizza box in their arms (some have two). He didn't say a word and wasn't noticed by the employees. He came back the next night and the same thing happened. He had them open the boxes and each was nearly full with pizza. The manager was letting them cook up more pizza than was needed for the buffet and at closing time whatever was leftover they took home. He damn sure didn't know or approve of that "deal," as it was costing him about $15k a year. I'm sure JDog would have given the manager a Pizza Construction CEO of the Year award for diligent management of personnel and materials, but my friend gave the guy something else entirely different...a heave-ho.

Hew
01-07-2010, 05:27 AM
Wow...another blast from the past...TYPEWRITERS. And of course in order to type a paper you'd need a set of encylopedias, a Websters dictionary and a thesaurus sitting on your desk within easy reach.

The currency of the realm at Florida was typically an intoxicant of some sort. When I was a pizza delivery dork I can't tell you how many times I heard, "Yo, pizza dude, I'm totally sorry, but I've got no money for a tip. But can I interest you in a bong hit instead?"

ducknwork
01-07-2010, 07:33 AM

Perhaps you and the people receiving govt benefits should learn how to stretch a dollar.;) Coupons, sales, pasta, soups, casseroles...Last night we spent $95, but we had to get diapers and pull ups in the same week (not common), that accounted for nearly $20 of our bill. And my wife had to get some $6 makeup...whatever...:rolleyes:

Breakfast is cereal or waffles or my wife will make pancakes and freeze them. Pancake mix is CHEAP. When I'm lucky, she'll throw some chocolate chips in them.:D Lunch is basically free, because it's leftovers from the previous night's dinner. Today, I have ramen and a chicken salad sandwich for lunch. It is OK, I like ramen...Tonight we are having stir fry. Rice, seasoning, meat, veggies=cheap. Then, when you consider that I will have that for lunch tomorrow, it cuts the price in half. I don't eat like a king, but we aren't wasting a bunch of money either. I guess it will all pay off when we are debt free...(not far from it:D)

JDogger
01-07-2010, 08:51 AM
Construction materials and a chef comping meals, apples and oranges.

If HEW's pizza buddy's manager was in violation of policy, than the owner did right.

Most owners give their chefs and managers the right to comp meals, at least at the places I worked.

How did those "tips" work out for ya?

JD

Steve Amrein
01-07-2010, 09:38 AM
I own my own fab shop. We use some high end equipment hand tools and materials. I have one non bending rule you steal ANYTHING from me you are fired and prosecuted. I let guys come in and use all of our equipment for side projects and have given away thousands of dollars of freee stuff and have only had 1 person try and take advantage. One of my employees tipped me the guy was taking away scrap aluminum. I get about .70 cents a pound currently. He was fired and I filed a police report. I asked the huys later about it. They said they have a good thing going and that that guy may ruin it for everyone. I would like to think the chef had the ok to keep some prepaired food rather than throw it away.

dback
01-07-2010, 09:54 AM
. Most owners give their chefs and managers the right to comp meals, at least at the places I worked.JD

I have been an employee, manager and owner of larger companies so I understand completely Hoosier's point. As a (very) much younger man I managed two separate retail chain outlets. Each had restuarants incorporated in them, each had similar policies. Absolutely no food left the premises in order to prevent precisely the scenario described by HEW. Managers received a quarterly bonus, net profit being one factor in determining the amount of that remuneration. Food products that might have ended up in the trash were donated to a charitable organization, however managers made every effort to keep those amounts down. All of these policies were covered in a signed employee handbook prior to employment.

As an owner I believe I am very generous, however, that is my prerogative not my employees.

dback
01-07-2010, 09:59 AM
And of course in order to type a paper you'd need a set of encylopedias,

Wonder what those currently bring on E-bay??? :-)

dnf777
01-07-2010, 10:11 AM
I can now account for about $30,000 in stuff that was taken one little theft at a time, and that's just what I know about. That doesn't account for the stuff that was probably taken by the guys that seen him taking things and thinking that gave them justification for taking little things themselves..

Hmmm...it sounds like if you knew at some point that he stole $30,000 in supplies, and you merely fired him on the spot and let him go, that's aiding and abetting a felon. Theft over $200 is a felony, not merely someone pressing charges in civil court. So I assume being the strict law-abiding citizen you are, you notified the proper authorities and had him arrested?

And I'm wondering if you fired you whole crew, since they 'probably took little things themselves'?

Hoosier
01-07-2010, 10:42 AM
Hmmm...it sounds like if you knew at some point that he stole $30,000 in supplies, and you merely fired him on the spot and let him go, that's aiding and abetting a felon. Theft over $200 is a felony, not merely someone pressing charges in civil court. So I assume being the strict law-abiding citizen you are, you notified the proper authorities and had him arrested?

And I'm wondering if you fired you whole crew, since they 'probably took little things themselves'?

Again that was my choice as the person who bought the materials to deal with it as I seen fit. I have fired other people for theft, and that along with keeping better track of things went a long way as a deterrent. I also started intentionally stocking the job short on materials, and telling them to call before they ran out and letting me know what they needed and I'd bring it out.

In addition to the things I have mentioned, I have supplied the lumber for at least 3 fish houses,some deer stands, and other projects, only to find out later. Have you priced plywood lately? One of the fish houses was 8 X 16 that's probably 21 sheets of plywood, plus the studs, and insulation. Had the guy not stolen the material, they would have been used on the next job.

When you find out after the fact, it's just your word against theirs. Better to just let em go, and move on. Had I been sure I could have proven it, I probably would have prosecuted. I would have been putting the people who told on them in a bad position, and that was another concern of mine.

By the way could you tell me how me not pressing charges on someone who ripped me off is aiding a felon; guess I don't get that one. I did tell the contractor that got his can lights stolen about it, and he also opted not to do anything. He's actually a guy who I've done some pheasant hunting with, several of which at his families place in Iowa.

Buzz
01-07-2010, 12:04 PM
I would like to think the chef had the ok to keep some prepaired food rather than throw it away.

Actually, the first time that the chef told me to check the oven when I went on my break, the manager of the student union was there. They both told me what a fantastic job I was doing and to keep up the good work. It seem that it's hard to find good help... A kitchen that puts out a thousand or two meals a day gets into a hell of a mess, and it has to be spotless clean at the end of every night. I didn't sneak away somewhere and eat the meal, I would sit at a cafeteria table and eat it in front of God and everyone.

By the time I graduated, it had become a policy that any student who worked through a meal hour was entitled to get a meal off of the cafeteria line during a break. Coffee, tea, and soda were all complimentary.

I find discussion spawned by a simple act of kindness to be extremely offensive. I don't know how anyone can equate giving someone who is struggling a few left overs once in awhile (to reward good work) to steeling building materials, office supplies, and taking home close to 20 pizzas a week.

$15000 per year/ 52 weeks x $15/pizza = 19.23 pizzas

Gerry Clinchy
01-07-2010, 12:06 PM
What about the moral issue? Feeding a hungry kid vs. stuffing a box of screws under your shirt. Seems like a big difference.

We also forgot one other little "note" in Buzz's story ... the chef rewarded him because it saved the chef his own time and effort ... Buzz cleaned the kitchen and equipment well enough so the chef did not have to re-do poor work over again himself. This might have been a very cost-effective way to maximize the benefits to his "customers".

FWIW, from what I've known of small restaurants, the employees usually are allowed food while on duty. Leftover food could be removed from the premises only with permission of the owner/manager. Since Buzz was being apportioned food by the chef while on the job, not taking it home to feed his family and friends, it doesn't seem out of line with how restaurants typically treat their employees. It seems quite different from the examples of people taking supplies from job sites or offices without permission.

Hoosier
01-07-2010, 12:12 PM
What about the moral issue? Feeding a hungry kid vs. stuffing a box of screws under your shirt. Seems like a big difference.
Walt
PS Did you not prosecute because you felt foolish for allowing this nonsense to continue so long? I'm a business owner myself, and would feel very foolish to get caught napping like that. Then again, I was a hands on boss, not riding around in a car while my crews worked.

Don't get me wrong, I would have been very impressed with the guy had he taken the money out of his own pocket to feed that hungry kid rather then the pocket of someone else. I have done it myself several times, along with advances on pay, and pay raises that were for the sole purpose of helping someone out, not job performance. I have also had people do work that didn't need to be done on my own place to get them more hours, when things were slow.

As for being hands on, I would consider bidding prints, delivering materials, meetings with other contractors, sub-contractors, phone work, meeting with and phoning suppliers hands on. This is all stuff that needed to be done to keep those guys working. I even strapped on a tool belt from time to time.

Thanks for the lesson in management style though.

Buzz
01-07-2010, 12:16 PM
Since Buzz was being apportioned food by the chef while on the job, not taking it home to feed his family and friends, it doesn't seem out of line with how restaurants typically treat their employees.

Correct. Anyone getting caught walking out the back door with tubs of food would have been fired on the spot. When I first got out of school, I had a second job working in a Big Boy Restaurant. We were always entitled order off the menu, up to a certain dollar value, for our meals. Anything over that dollar value was paid out of the employee pocket.

dnf777
01-07-2010, 12:57 PM
FWIW, from what I've known of small restaurants, the employees usually are allowed food while on duty. Leftover food could be removed from the premises only with permission of the owner/manager. Since Buzz was being apportioned food by the chef while on the job, not taking it home to feed his family and friends, it doesn't seem out of line with how restaurants typically treat their employees. It seems quite different from the examples of people taking supplies from job sites or offices without permission.

One day after work I cut through the cafeteria and saw one of the workers scoopin a FULL pan of lasagne into a large garbage can. I asked why in the world would she throw out a good pan of food? Our hospital considers taking ANY food by workers theft and cause for termination. So every day, our hospital throws out several SS pans of perfectly good food. Just doesn't make sense.

ducknwork
01-07-2010, 02:16 PM
One day after work I cut through the cafeteria and saw one of the workers scoopin a FULL pan of lasagne into a large garbage can. I asked why in the world would she throw out a good pan of food? Our hospital considers taking ANY food by workers theft and cause for termination. So every day, our hospital throws out several SS pans of perfectly good food. Just doesn't make sense.

I have heard of restaurants that donated food to the soup kitchen and people got sick for whatever reason, then sued the restaurant. What a bunch of BS. I guess if you think about that, you can't really blame an organization for throwing food out.

Couldn't they have frozen it or heated it up for the next day?

dnf777
01-07-2010, 02:42 PM
I have heard of restaurants that donated food to the soup kitchen and people got sick for whatever reason, then sued the restaurant. What a bunch of BS. I guess if you think about that, you can't really blame an organization for throwing food out.

Couldn't they have frozen it or heated it up for the next day?

No. They're squeezed between DOH rules and hospital rules. They can't save it, and they can't use it. You have to realize, this is the same town where a health inspector showed up at a church bake-off and prohibited the fund-raising sales of pies b/c the church didn't have the right permits, etc...

ducknwork
01-07-2010, 02:45 PM
I'll be sure to let Barack know about this. Perhaps it is another cost savings that we can work into our future health care reform package.

Hoosier
01-07-2010, 02:47 PM

This is probably the result of abuse by the employees. My mother works in a hospital kitchen and has many stories about staff basically stealing food. They now consider the taking of any food theft. Interestingly enough, she said the worst abusers were the doctors and the board members.

Hoosier
01-07-2010, 03:01 PM
Now that I have thought about it. You weren't down at the kitchen at the end of the day trying to score a free pan of lasagna, were you dfn (can I call you Dave?) :]

dnf777
01-07-2010, 03:44 PM
Now that I have thought about it. You weren't down at the kitchen at the end of the day trying to score a free pan of lasagna, were you dfn (can I call you Dave?) :]

That's what my friends call me--go right ahead

No, that wasn't me. I wasn't trying to imply anything, just pointing out a real waste of perfectly good food. If they have that much left over, maybe they ought to let the workers have some, or not make as much? Its probably more profitable to make extra and throw it out, that miss a few sales by not having enough.

I'll admit, docs probably do lift a lot of food (junk food you can grab and cram in 30 seconds). Our OR does not shut down for lunch, you grab it in between cases, patients, paperwork, etc...when you get a chance. (we don't have a good union...no lunch or smoke breaks);-) Plus, our hospital lets the docs and OR crews run a tab for that very reason. They'd rather we spend time making money for the hospital than standing in line to pay 75 cents for a banana.

BTW, I'm having some friends over for lasagne tonight....you free?:D

Hoosier
01-07-2010, 04:48 PM
That's what my friends call me--go right ahead

No, that wasn't me. I wasn't trying to imply anything, just pointing out a real waste of perfectly good food. If they have that much left over, maybe they ought to let the workers have some, or not make as much? Its probably more profitable to make extra and throw it out, that miss a few sales by not having enough.

I'll admit, docs probably do lift a lot of food (junk food you can grab and cram in 30 seconds). Our OR does not shut down for lunch, you grab it in between cases, patients, paperwork, etc...when you get a chance. (we don't have a good union...no lunch or smoke breaks);-) Plus, our hospital lets the docs and OR crews run a tab for that very reason. They'd rather we spend time making money for the hospital than standing in line to pay 75 cents for a banana.

BTW, I'm having some friends over for lasagne tonight....you free?:D

That would have to be some damn good lasagna to get me to make that drive, but thanks for the offer Dave. Maybe some other time.

Hew
01-07-2010, 08:12 PM
If HEW's pizza buddy's manager was in violation of policy, than the owner did right. Yeah, the policy was clearly notated in his 283 page employee manual. Policy Position #34 was, "Don't steal sh!t from me, your customers or fellow-employees." It came right after Policy Position #33, "You are instructed to breath air."

How did those "tips" work out for ya? Not bad. You're thinking about moving to Gainesville now, aren't ya? ;-)

JD

JDogger
01-07-2010, 11:07 PM

Stressed much tonight are you Hew? Maybe another "tip" will rock your boat.

A 283 page employee manual? Maybe your pizza bud was settinin' himself up.
Sittin' in the parking lot with his bong, is no way to manage his business.
A "boss" is there at opening, and closing, or they are not a "boss" at all.

Not bad. You're thinking about moving to Gainesville now, aren't ya? :wink:

No, I've been to Florida, and I avoid it like I avoid NoVa, (Julie's bailiwick). I find it distasteful.

JD

ducknwork
01-08-2010, 09:42 AM
Stressed much tonight are you Hew? Maybe another "tip" will rock your boat.

A 283 page employee manual? Maybe your pizza bud was settinin' himself up.
Sittin' in the parking lot with his bong, is no way to manage his business.
A "boss" is there at opening, and closing, or they are not a "boss" at all.

Yes, because a boss has no life outside of work...:rolleyes:

JD

I think you missed some sarcasm...;)

K G
01-08-2010, 01:00 PM
I think you missed some sarcasm...;)

No, he missed ALL of the sarcasm....:D

Classic HEW regards,

kg

JDogger
01-08-2010, 11:40 PM
I'm sure kg, that hew is flattered by your holding him in the "classic" pantheon of PP Posters. It's good to know that you acknowledge someone other than yourself as the repository of all wit and humor.

I'll now add several rolling eyed smilies to avoid further confusion...:rolleyes::rolleyes:.

JD

PS I didn't spell check this post. But please, go for it. It's your job ya know? :p.

Ducknwork... If he let himself get ripped off for $15,000 worth of pizza in the last year....?:rolleyes:

Do you get it, boys? Well, do ya? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

K G
01-09-2010, 12:11 PM
Glad to see you back to your old self, JDog...

Whine away regards,

kg

Hoosier
01-09-2010, 12:48 PM
I'm sure kg, that hew is flattered by your holding him in the "classic" pantheon of PP Posters. It's good to know that you acknowledge someone other than yourself as the repository of all wit and humor.

I'll now add several rolling eyed smilies to avoid further confusion...:rolleyes::rolleyes:.

JD

PS I didn't spell check this post. But please, go for it. It's your job ya know? :p.

Ducknwork... If he let himself get ripped off for $15,000 worth of pizza in the last year....?:rolleyes:

Do you get it, boys? Well, do ya? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

The ol blame the victim strategy. Nice

Buzz
01-10-2010, 03:12 AM
The ol blame the victim strategy. Nice

Not exactly something you'd want to put on a resume...

ducknwork
01-21-2010, 07:10 AM

Just for you, Buzz (and Jdog)...

Tuesday night we had southwestern turkey stew, a new recipe that my wife found in a cook book that was a Christmas present. It was REALLY good. It was also VERY healthy. While we were eating dinner, we added up how much money we had in the meal. It ended up being around $5.50 for the entire pot of stew. We had enough leftovers that we will probably have it tonight as well.

5.50 divided by 2 meals= 2.75
2.75 divided by 4 mouths per meal= .69

Oh yeah, I'm eating it for lunch today, too. You could divide that by 9 meals rather than 8 if you want. I'll get you the recipe if you want!:D

Yeah, I don't get to eat as much beef as I want, but the point is that it can be done and it doesn't have to be ramen, cereal and mac and cheese. If I can do it and I have the ability to spend more on groceries (but choose not to at this point in time), why can't someone who is spending your money and my money on their groceries eat a little cheaper?

Having a steak this weekend regards, (porterhouses on sale, 2.99/lb:D)

kjrice
01-21-2010, 04:43 PM
Most Presidents get their pic on a regular dollar bill.

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r186/kjrice/clip_image001.jpg

KEITH L
01-23-2010, 03:52 PM
the original start of the thread was a comment on food stamps. i do own a grocery store
and to set a few comments straight. i find it hard to believe the store in question was
bringing in that kind of money. the numbers for a 1700 population don't jive. also it is ill- legal to except food stamp money now called (((snaps))). for cigs or alcohol or non edible foods. they can and do by tons of chips and pops junk foods with there i call inhertance. even though i do benefit from the program. i think it needs a revision long ago (((( good program gone bad)))) along with the wic program i feel is probably worse than stamps... as for the hoosier comment you are right on (((( once a thief always a thief )))) the chef should have been more responsible to be more acurate with his cooking. a good chef will know how much to cook and not be wastfull just for the example but if the policy says eat it dont over indulge.

keith l.
________
Weed bubblers (http://bubblers.net/)

KEITH L
01-24-2010, 10:24 AM
the only way i see to fix the wic and foodstamp program is by making it a
uncomfortable position to be in ........

keith l
________
Medical marijuana patient (http://mmjp.org)

Hoosier
01-24-2010, 10:43 AM
the only way i see to fix the wic and foodstamp program is by making it a
uncomfortable position to be in ........

keith l

You hit the nail on the head

ducknwork
01-24-2010, 01:44 PM
Sounds like a BRILLIANT idea!

Juli H
01-24-2010, 02:06 PM
the original start of the thread was a comment on food stamps. i do own a grocery store
and to set a few comments straight. i find it hard to believe the store in question was
bringing in that kind of money. the numbers for a 1700 population don't jive. also it is ill- legal to except food stamp money now called (((snaps))). for cigs or alcohol or non edible foods. they can and do by tons of chips and pops junk foods with there i call inhertance. even though i do benefit from the program. i think it needs a revision long ago (((( good program gone bad)))) along with the wic program i feel is probably worse than stamps... as for the hoosier comment you are right on (((( once a thief always a thief )))) the chef should have been more responsible to be more acurate with his cooking. a good chef will know how much to cook and not be wastfull just for the example but if the policy says eat it dont over indulge.

keith l.

Keith,

Tok and especially the surrounding Native Alaskan villages has a very low income - in the villages, unemployment likely exceeds 80% in the winter months...in the summer, this goes down - due to many residents working on fires and attaining other summer time employment.

In a 4 hour shift, mid month, about 10% of my transactions, as a cashier, are food stamps (across all ethnicities)...At the first of the month this goes up to about 30% of transactions (next week I can get a good number) .....the average annual household income IN Tok is about 35K - in the villages, it is much much less.

here is a link to show a little bit of the picture here....

http://www.simplyhired.com/a/local-jobs/city/l-Tok,+AK
http://labor.alaska.gov/research/alari/xls/3_24_319.xls - this link shows that in 2008 less than 400 people (in Tok - not including outlying areas) had jobs..and a majority of these jobs are only available in the summer months (tourist, fire season, road contsruction)

Juli

KEITH L
01-24-2010, 07:17 PM
hi juli

i guess i'm going mostly by the number of 1700 population the program only
distributes by person in family. 1 person would qualify for 175.00 for a given
month. that is the regulation per indiividual there are very few exceptions.
1 thing i am a firm believer of is not giving any benefits to any seasonal workers
that in most cases is there choice to work partial year. and ussually make
above and beyond the some average yearly workers. to many loop holes
for people not to work.

keith l
________
HOTELS IN MEXICO (http://mexicohoteles.org)

Juli H
01-25-2010, 07:44 PM
$32,000 divided by an average of $300/purchase = 107 customers... or 52 food stamp customers a day ..easily doable for Tok...

Juli

precisionlabradors
01-25-2010, 09:13 PM
1 thing i am a firm believer of is not giving any benefits to any seasonal workers
that in most cases is there choice to work partial year. and ussually make
above and beyond the some average yearly workers. to many loop holes
for people not to work.

keith l

i agree with this a bunch. there are lots of construction jobs and agriculture jobs around here that lay off in the winter and the workers draw unemployment and ski every day. i think its bull crap, abuse in most situations.
________
VOLCANO VAPORIZER (http://volcanovaporizer.net/)

Juli H
01-26-2010, 12:50 PM
i agree with this a bunch. there are lots of construction jobs and agriculture jobs around here that lay off in the winter and the workers draw unemployment and ski every day. i think its bull crap, abuse in most situations.

yes it is..... if you know you won't be working save aside money while you ARE working....it is a major issue up here....

in 20+ yrs of being adults, neither my husband nor myself have drawn unemployment... If needed we MOVED to where there was work.

Juli