PDA

View Full Version : There's more "change" in the air...

K G
01-05-2010, 08:25 PM
But this time, it's good! :D

http://www.comcast.net/articles/news-general/20100105/US.Dorgan.Senate/

How many open seats does this make between 2010 and 2012? 13 or so?

Wide open races regards,;-)

kg

Buzz
01-05-2010, 09:41 PM
Dorgan was one of the only ones that came out hard against the financial deregulation that was pushed through 10 years ago. He predicted the resulting meltdown.

I imagine he's feeling pretty betrayed that Obama and the Democrats defeated the drug reimportation bill that he championed. I guess it's up to us to finance drug research for the rest of the world. The same way we pay many times what other countries do for MRI equipment etc. Through high prices we finance a lot of healthcare for the rest of the world.

JDogger
01-05-2010, 09:50 PM
If the republicans continue to be the party of "No" , I see little change in 2010.

Jess sayin'

JD

Hew
01-06-2010, 06:13 AM
If the republicans continue to be the party of "No" , I see little change in 2010.

Jess sayin'
You're on a planet of one with that prediction. I think a plurality of Americans are yearning for more politicians to scream NO! more often...

- NO, to running up crazy deficits that our grandchildren's children will be paying
- NO, to government bailing out and buying out huge corporations
- NO, to politicians working in the dark and backroom dealing their way to healthcare "reform" that takes us one step closer to govt. run healthcare
- NO, to bowing and scrapping and apologizin' our way around the world as a substitute for a cogent foreign policy that protects American interests
- NO, to 2 hour waits to board a plane as 5 yr. old girls are being stripped searched in the name of political correctness
- NO, to nanny state government
- Just F'ING NO

You should have closed with, "Jess prayin'....to Mother Earth and Swami Devadip" instead.

dixidawg
01-06-2010, 06:47 AM
But this time, it's good! :D

http://www.comcast.net/articles/news-general/20100105/US.Dorgan.Senate/

How many open seats does this make between 2010 and 2012? 13 or so?

Wide open races regards,;-)

kg

That article doesn't even mention the current race for Ted Kennedy's seat. Poll results on the news last night has (R) Scott Brown within single digits of (D) Martha Coakley and gaining fast. Quite a feat considering only about 12% of Mass voters are registered as Republicans.

paul young
01-06-2010, 07:46 AM
it's easy to get them to SAY "no" to the things you've listed, Hew.

ALMOST NONE of them will actually do it when it comes to a vote and their "colleagues" push their panic button by suggesting some piece of legislation they authored, sponsored or support will become forfeit, or if they perceive it will have a negative impact ontheir chance to be re-elected.-Paul

K G
01-06-2010, 08:10 AM

Jess sayin'

JD

If the democrats continue to be the party of "yes," the "change" we'll see in 2010 and beyond will haunt us for generations.....

Reality regards,

kg

Buzz
01-06-2010, 08:17 AM
That article doesn't even mention the current race for Ted Kennedy's seat. Poll results on the news last night has (R) Scott Brown within single digits of (D) Martha Coakley and gaining fast. Quite a feat considering only about 12% of Mass voters are registered as Republicans.

Everyone has to have a dream I guess...

JDogger
01-06-2010, 08:41 AM
You're on a planet of one with that prediction.

http://www.oddschecker.com/specials/politics-and-election/us-presidential-election/winning-party

http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll176/JDoggger/imagesCA6MWC0D.jpg

Enjoy your sandwich :p

Pete
01-06-2010, 08:48 AM
Dorgan was one of the only ones that came out hard against the financial deregulation that was pushed through 10 years ago. He predicted the resulting meltdown

Dude,,
I predicted the melt down 20 years ago,,, and I'm a dopey SOB,,, what does that say about our geniouses

p

Hew
01-06-2010, 09:07 AM
http://www.oddschecker.com/specials/politics-and-election/us-presidential-election/winning-party

http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll176/JDoggger/imagesCA6MWC0D.jpg

Enjoy your sandwich :p
Umm...yeah. Thanks. But what does the link providing odds on a presidential election in 2012 have to do with your prediction that the GOP won't fare well in mid-term congressional elections in 2010? Consult Devadip or drop some good blotter acid for answers if you must.

JDogger
01-06-2010, 09:24 AM
If you seriously think 2010 is going to result in a sweep back to a majority for the GOP then you're the one consulting Divadip.

JD

K G
01-06-2010, 10:34 AM
If you seriously think 2010 is going to result in a sweep back to a majority for the GOP then you're the one consulting Divadip.

JD

A "sweep" back? No, not by any means. The country needs one additional Republican senator at the least to remove the Democratic party's "railroad" majority....3 for good measure to take out the Independent (read as "Democrats in gray clothing") swing votes. Anything above that is gravy in 2010.

Hopefully we've all learned a good lesson from the events of the last three years. It's now time for us to take those lessons and apply them during the next election(s). BHO and his administration are vulnerable and are leaving us vulnerable as well ( http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/obama_administration/obama_approval_index_history ). We're not happy as a country. We have the opportunity to start to improve our lot in about 10 months.

kg

YardleyLabs
01-06-2010, 10:34 AM
Well, I am willing to take even odd bets that Democrats plus independents caucusing as Democrats will hold at least 54 seats in the Senate following the 2010 elections. Any takers?

K G
01-06-2010, 10:36 AM
I'll be happy with that swing, Jeff. It will build momentum towards a REAL improvement in 2012....:cool:

kg

Roger Perry
01-06-2010, 10:48 AM
A "sweep" back? No, not by any means. The country needs one additional Republican senator at the least to remove the Democratic party's "railroad" majority....3 for good measure to take out the Independent (read as "Democrats in gray clothing") swing votes. Anything above that is gravy in 2010.

Hopefully we've all learned a good lesson from the events of the last three years. It's now time for us to take those lessons and apply them during the next election(s). BHO and his administration are vulnerable and are leaving us vulnerable as well ( http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/obama_administration/obama_approval_index_history ). We're not happy as a country. We have the opportunity to start to improve our lot in about 10 months.

kg

So if you think the Republican Congress from 2000 to 2006 did such a good job, why did they not get re-elected to keep their majority? And, if they do get the majority what makes you think they will do a better job the next time around?

Eric Johnson
01-06-2010, 10:49 AM
This means that there are 6 open seats (IL, DE, MA, NY, CT, and ND) in the Senate plus whatever candidates can be mounted against incumbents. There's a real chance of at least a 54-46 split. With that kind of momentum some folks in the 54 might develop some backbone.

Eric

Franco
01-06-2010, 10:58 AM
So if you think the Republican Congress from 2000 to 2006 did such a good job, why did they not get re-elected to keep their majority?

I said 4 years ago here on RTF that Bush43 will damage the GOP to the point that it may never recover. I hope that I am wrong on the recovery part!

Wholesale changes are needed in DC and nothing would be better for all of us than a voter revolution.

With the demographic shift in New Orleans since Katrina, not only is Dem. Sen. Mary Landreau in the biggest struggle of her political career, the city may actually have its first non-African American Mayor in nearly 30 years! Between the shift in demograhics and the numerious cases of local corruption the local Democrats are in peril.

Mary Landreau's bribe from the Dems of 300 million to get her vote to support the Healthcare debate and approval of the Senate's version is not sitting well with the locals.

P S Her brother Mitch, who is a Moderate, is the front runner for Mayor.

YardleyLabs
01-06-2010, 11:06 AM
While a lot will happen before the next elections, Republican chances in the Senate are much brighter in 2012 than they are in 2010. The difference results from the seats that are in play. While Republicans could win as many as 4-5 Democratic seats, Democrats could win 2-3 Republican seats. If the economy continues to improve and there are strong gains in employment over the next 6-9 months, it is even possible that Democrats (plus the two independents) could continue to hold 60 seats. I personally consider that unlikely plus I suspect that Lieberman may begin to caucus as a Republican following the 2010 election.

K G
01-06-2010, 11:16 AM
So if you think the Republican Congress from 2000 to 2006 did such a good job, why did they not get re-elected to keep their majority? And, if they do get the majority what makes you think they will do a better job the next time around?

Roger, please don't get in over your head again....:rolleyes:

By you saying this, it appears that you are happy with the way the Democratic majority is running things in Congress now. I disagree with that strongly....hence, my point of view.

It's a NEW DECADE regards,

kg

K G
01-06-2010, 11:18 AM
While a lot will happen before the next elections, Republican chances in the Senate are much brighter in 2012 than they are in 2010. The difference results from the seats that are in play. While Republicans could win as many as 4-5 Democratic seats, Democrats could win 2-3 Republican seats. If the economy continues to improve and there are strong gains in employment over the next 6-9 months, it is even possible that Democrats (plus the two independents) could continue to hold 60 seats. I personally consider that unlikely plus I suspect that Lieberman may begin to caucus as a Republican following the 2010 election.

We're still losing jobs, Jeff....84,000 last month. Most folks would be happy with no net loss, never mind an improvement.

"Strong gains" are a couple of years away...maybe faster with some positive changes in November and in 2012.

kg

Steve Amrein
01-06-2010, 11:27 AM
We're still losing jobs, Jeff....84,000 last month. Most folks would be happy with no net loss, never mind an improvement.

"Strong gains" are a couple of years away...maybe faster with some positive changes in November and in 2012.

kg

I think also many are holding their breath to see what the health care and cap and tax will do to them. What I want to know is what BHO is going to do when all of this stuff is in place and prices of goods start to rise at a inflationary rate. Hate to be a dome and gloomer but I am not sure that we have seen the bottom of the hole we are digging. BTW doing My part I just met with the banker folks and looking at some serious capital improvements additions for this year.

K G
01-06-2010, 11:38 AM
If Cap and Trade passes, our economy will do a nose-dive that will make the past 12-15 months look like a picnic....:mad:

kg

paul young
01-06-2010, 11:45 AM
you have some strong opinions concerning the state and future of our economy, KG. what is your area of expertise in the business world? you never posted on the thread i started a couple weeks back....-Paul

Franco
01-06-2010, 11:47 AM
If Cap and Trade passes, our economy will do a nose-dive that will make the past 12-15 months look like a picnic....:mad:

kg

Obama may know this. I wouldn't put it pass him to create the financial chaos that will allow him to stay in power and continue on his quest of rebuliding the USA in his own image.

Get ready for a flood of Haitian refugees as the Dems are going to need all the help they can get in keeping office.

Roger Perry
01-06-2010, 11:57 AM
Roger, please don't get in over your head again....:rolleyes:

By you saying this, it appears that you are happy with the way the Democratic majority is running things in Congress now. I disagree with that strongly....hence, my point of view.

It's a NEW DECADE regards,

kg

updated 4:04 p.m. ET, Tues., Jan. 5, 2010

WASHINGTON - GOP Chairman Michael Steele thinks Republicans have "screwed up" for the most part in the years since Ronald Reagan was president. And, he adds in an interview on the heels of his new book's release, Republicans won't win back the House in fall elections and might not be ready to lead even if they do.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/images/icons/video.gifVideo

http://msnbcmedia3.msn.com/j/MSNBC/Components/Video/100105/tdy_vieira_steele_100105.300w.jpg (javascript:vPlayer('34701329','9a628396-cb28-4b9d-8144-21774b69b8ad'))

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/34703760/ns/politics/

Buzz
01-06-2010, 11:59 AM
Looks like Ed Schultz MIGHT be a possible in the run to replace Dorgan.

MSNBC talk show host and liberal firebrand Ed Schultz is considering a run for Senate in his home state of North Dakota following the abrupt resignation of Senator Byron Dorgan (D-N.D.) on Tuesday evening.

The longtime talk show host, who was until recently based out of Fargo, North Dakota, told the Huffington Post that "there is a lot to think about" after he was approached by Democratic leaders in the state about a possible run. But the possibility is there, even if a decision is far off.

"The phone call from [North Dakota Democratic-NPL Party leader] Merle Boucher is certainly new territory for me," said Schultz.

The MSNBC host, who has lengthy ties to the state, said he was called last night by Dorgan who, in a rather suggestive question, asked Schultz how old he was. Hours later Boucher was on the phone asking Schultz to consider a run for the Senate seat.

"I asked him very point-blank if this was an official ask." Schultz said. "He said, 'Yes it is'. I'm flattered. I'm honored."

To jump into the Senate race, however, would require Schultz to drop his new spot on MSNBC's evening lineup, something that is weighing heavily on the host.

"I feel good about my position," he said. "I feel good about who I am and what I advocate for. I'm a strong believer in building the middle class. And to put that in terms of the Senate race I'm just not there yet."

Party officials, as of Wednesday morning, had not heard that Schultz was even considering a bid -- a reflection of just how quickly news is moving. And there is likely to be some tension should the MSNBC host ultimately decide to get into the race. The logical choice to replace Dorgan seemed to be Rep. Early Pomeroy, a Democratic representative in the state.

Dorgan and Schultz did work out one agreement, however: Dorgan will appear exclusively on Schultz's show at 6 p.m. this evening.

K G
01-06-2010, 01:31 PM
updated 4:04 p.m. ET, Tues., Jan. 5, 2010

WASHINGTON - GOP Chairman Michael Steele thinks Republicans have "screwed up" for the most part in the years since Ronald Reagan was president. And, he adds in an interview on the heels of his new book's release, Republicans won't win back the House in fall elections and might not be ready to lead even if they do.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/images/icons/video.gifVideo

http://msnbcmedia3.msn.com/j/MSNBC/Components/Video/100105/tdy_vieira_steele_100105.300w.jpg (javascript:vPlayer('34701329','9a628396-cb28-4b9d-8144-21774b69b8ad'))

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/34703760/ns/politics/

The guy's trying to sell a book, Roger. Please tell me you have a scintilla of knowledge about marketing and merchandising (both of which he is doing for the GOP, by the way...:cool:)....

Like I stated earlier, I'd be happy with the 54 Senate seats Jeff is willing to bet even odds on after the 2010 elections.

You STILL sound like a Democrat regards,

kg

toddh
01-06-2010, 01:32 PM

I heard that somewhere else today.

That's the funniest thing I've heard this week. What a putz. He flip-flops more than even our most seasoned politicians. His position depends on whose paying the most money.

The Dems are surely hurting if they're trying to bring Fast Eddie in...

Can't. Stop. Laughing.

toddh
01-06-2010, 01:38 PM
Dorgan did a lot of good things for our state. His recent record of voting the party line has cost him in a mostly conservative state. I don't think he would've won regardless of who he was running against. Conrad and Pomeroy are going to have some fighting to do to get their seats back when the time comes

K G
01-06-2010, 01:45 PM
you have some strong opinions concerning the state and future of our economy, KG. what is your area of expertise in the business world? you never posted on the thread i started a couple weeks back....-Paul

Well by all means let me take my little "byte" (SIC on purpose, JDog...) out of this topic so that you will rest well, Paul.

I am celebrating my 30th year in the advertising sales and marketing business. I started in radio (on-air) in 1978, went to radio sales in 1980, into management in '87, into TV sales in 1989, back into radio management in 1995, returned to TV management in '96, radio management in '98, AKC in 1999 to two years (this decade I refer to as my "nomadic period"...:)...Franco knows what I mean), then to Comcast in late 2000 where I work now.

I've worked with local, regional, and national advertisers during that period, Paul, all categories of business from hard to soft goods, brown to white goods, and everything in between. My job is to listen to the owners and managers talk about their businesses and their plans to grow or maintain their current market share (or simply stay in business, in a few cases). During these meetings, affectionately called "CNAs" (customer needs analyses), I'm privileged to share their knowledge and concerns about a VARIETY of current business influences, including Health Care and Cap and Trade. ;-)

So....when you see me take the time to post on the subject of business, rest assured that I am commenting from a "man on the street" point of view, most likely after having talked that very day to a man or woman that is struggling with how to grow (or keep) their business in the face of new government intrusion and potentially debilitating new regulations.

"The state and future of OUR economy" is correct, Paul...my little part of the world is but a sliver of it....but it fits into the grander scheme of things. It pays me to know something about the grander scheme and all of its moving parts. Hopefully my participation here will allow me to share a little of my knowledge and learn something (even if I disagree) from the other posters here. :D

kg

Franco
01-06-2010, 02:02 PM
During these meetings, affectionately called "CNAs" (customer needs analyses), I'm privileged to share their knowledge and concerns about a VARIETY of current business influences, including Health Care and Cap and Trade. ;-)

I've certainly had my Nomadic periods. Had a conversation with a former associate that was complaining about her company. I said, "Gina, you've been with them for 30 years and 20 years too long"! Got to move in this business!

CNA's other than the media parties, are probably the most rewarding part of the business. Not many get to sit with business owners and have them spill thier guts about thier business. I had an Oil Exploration company CEO tell me recently that if Cap and Trade is passed, not only will our cost for energy skyrocket, it will help the Saudies and other foreighn producers make a heck of a lot more money.

But then again, this may be Obama's goal.

K G
01-06-2010, 02:10 PM
I've certainly had my Nomadic periods. Had a conversation with a former associate that was complaining about her company. I said, "Gina, you've been with them for 30 years and 20 years too long"! Got to move in this business!

A guy that I interviewed with once said "We call that (moving around) experience!" ;-)

CNA's other than the media parties, are probably the most rewarding part of the business. Not many get to sit with business owners and have them spill thier guts about thier business.

NOBODY cares as much about an owner's business as the owner. I agree with you 100%, Franco. Those meetings make the job easier to wake up for every day. It also makes watching the government blindly stumble through their increasing regulatory sessions harder to take...not because it's going to affect MY business, but how it stands to affect EVERYONE in this country.

kg

Buzz
01-06-2010, 02:11 PM
I had an Oil Exploration company CEO tell me recently that if Cap and Trade is passed, not only will our cost for energy skyrocket, it will help the Saudies and other foreighn producers make a heck of a lot more money.

But then again, this may be Obama's goal.

Does he expect it to increase the dollar/barrel cost? If so, how?

Franco
01-06-2010, 02:29 PM
Does he expect it to increase the dollar/barrel cost? If so, how?

I didn't ask him that question.

However, when cost rise because of this bogus proposed new tax, the cost will be passed on to the consumer or they simply won't have the incentive to explore and drill.

There are tremendous cost from the time oil is found (more often they drill dry holes) till it gets into you gas tank.

Exxon has had huge profits but they have also invested trillions to make this profits. Their ROI is not out of line.

P S Our area has mostly avoided what has happened to many places around the country because of oil exploration and extraction. I would hate to see this area economically depressed because of a political aganda in DC to go after oil companies.

If DC picks a fight with the oil producres and refineries, you can bet they will move out of the USA. The biggest oil reserves known to man are between Africa and S America, deep in the Atlantic. We can build jobs here or they can be built jobs in Africa and S America. Louisiana and Texas already have the infastructure to support any drilling activity in that area. I would hate to see that infastructure moved to another country!

The largest oil field casing company in the world is HQ'd right here in my little town. Locally, they employ over 12,000 people. They have their corporate office here with regional offices in Dubai, Aberdeen, Oslo, Singapore, and Trinadad. They have already stated that if Cap and Trade passes, corporate will move to thier new facilitly in Dubai.

I have no idea of what they pay in Federal taxes along with thier employees. But, I would imagine it is substantial.

paul young
01-06-2010, 02:41 PM
thanks for taking the time to reply, Keith.

i really don't think anyone needs to be "allowed" to post here. i think we can all learn something from the other person's point of view.-Paul

Hew
01-06-2010, 03:26 PM
Isn't there some middle ground between a "sweep back to a majority" which you're pretending I claimed and "little change" that you predicted?

I'd be thrilled if the GOP picked up 4 to 6 seats in the Senate and took a sizable chunk back in the House (+/- 20). I expect it will be somewhere between the '94 bloodbath and the 2008 bloodletting.

Uncle Bill
01-06-2010, 03:37 PM

This dork is a bigger dork than Dorkan. It would be a great decision for him to try to find out how really pathetic he is. Especially against the Governor. Schultz comes from the Peoples Republic of Nodak...kinda like the I-29 corridor of Sodak. His views of the Nodak electorate are based on his radio following in the Red River region.

It's amusing how he has changed over the years. There was a time he considered himself a Republican...but at best he may have been a RINO.

One of my experiences with Schultz was when he came out to a hunting lodge of my friend, and proceeded to kill his over-weight lab by running it to death hunting pheasants. The poor animal was a typical 'lounge lizard', and wasn't up to that sort of a workout, but that didn't stop Schultz. What a total piece of excrement.

This phoney is nothing more than a social-climbing wannabe. He's from the Clinton school of womenizing, and about as knowledgeable about the constitution as Al Frankin. Is it any wonder he does well along the Minnesoooota border?

UB

K G
01-06-2010, 03:54 PM
thanks for taking the time to reply, Keith.

i really don't think anyone needs to be "allowed" to post here. i think we can all learn something from the other person's point of view.-Paul

I don't think anyone needs permission to post here either, Paul...and methinks we have a contextual issue that needs a bit of attention...;-)

What I said was:
Hopefully my participation here will allow me to share a little of my knowledge and learn something (even if I disagree) from the other posters here. If I post, I really intend to bring something to the table (up to and including the opportunity to improve JDog's spelling...:cool:), not just to simply bloviate....although I have been known to pontificate expexegetically. :cool::D

It's all (well, most it...) good regards,

kg

Buzz
01-06-2010, 04:40 PM
exp exegetically. :cool::D

Dang, I just learned something...

road kill
01-06-2010, 04:55 PM
Dang, I just learned something...
Earl Weaver once said "it's what you learn after you know it all that really counts!!"

JDogger
01-06-2010, 04:57 PM
Isn't there some middle ground between a "sweep back to a majority" which you're pretending I claimed and "little change" that you predicted? Of course there is. I would expect to see some backlash.

I'd be thrilled if the GOP picked up 4 to 6 seats in the Senate and took a sizable chunk back in the House (+/- 20). I expect it will be somewhere between the '94 bloodbath and the 2008 bloodletting.

However, if the Republican party allows itself to be dictated to by the Tea Party, it could be very little change.

JD

toddh
01-06-2010, 08:20 PM
One of my experiences with Schultz was when he came out to a hunting lodge of my friend, and proceeded to kill his over-weight lab by running it to death hunting pheasants. The poor animal was a typical 'lounge lizard', and wasn't up to that sort of a workout, but that didn't stop Schultz. What a total piece of excrement.

UB

He shot one of his dogs once, too.

The chants during the NDSU football games mocking him are still classics.

dixidawg
01-19-2010, 09:21 PM
Everyone has to have a dream I guess...

You were saying?????