PDA

View Full Version : Bye Bye Dodd!!

luvmylabs23139
01-06-2010, 12:49 AM
Dodd is not running for re-election!!!!!!!!!
Happy Happy days!!!!:BIG:

dnf777
01-06-2010, 04:58 AM
Thank God!
(But I'd hate to see what size of golden parachute he's stolen for himself)

subroc
01-06-2010, 05:48 AM
I expect our friends from Connecticut have their own opinion of him. Some will be glad to see him go, others will have mixed feelings and others have been waiting for this moment for years.

I live in New Hampshire. It has moved left in the 30 years I have lived here.

In the recent election in Connecticut, Senator Joe Lieberman had to run as an independent to be reelected. I view that as illustrating that the state has moved further left as well if the democratic vice presidential candidate was no longer welcome as a democrat.

The question is how will this affect the upcoming election?

paul young
01-06-2010, 05:59 AM
it's not that he's not welcome as a Democrat, he just plain isn't welcome anymore, at least that's the way i see it.

it will be interesting to see who throws their hat into the ring...

glad to see Dodd leave; he was (is) dirty. but that goes for any Senator after even 1 term. politics should not be a career.-Paul

subroc
01-06-2010, 06:01 AM
Paul, why is that?

paul young
01-06-2010, 07:39 AM
not sure which part of my post you're referencing, Joe. clarify and i'll do my best to answer.-Paul

Goose
01-06-2010, 08:05 AM

One of Lucifer's finest.

Buzz
01-06-2010, 08:38 AM
it's not that he's not welcome as a Democrat, he just plain isn't welcome anymore, at least that's the way i see it.

it will be interesting to see who throws their hat into the ring...

glad to see Dodd leave; he was (is) dirty. but that goes for any Senator after even 1 term. politics should not be a career.-Paul

Blumenthal...

http://www.nashuatelegraph.com/news/statenewengland/519379-227/blumenthal-to-run-for-dodds-senate-seat.html

Buzz
01-06-2010, 08:40 AM
Paul, why is that?

I would think it would be self evident.

Hoosier
01-06-2010, 09:00 AM
Now they will probable be able to keep a Democrat in that seat. I would have liked to have seen him run and get beat.

luvmylabs23139
01-06-2010, 12:42 PM
[quote=subroc;546849]I expect our friends from Connecticut have their own opinion of him. quote]

Well, I lived in CT most of my life and voted against him every time!!!
So yes, I'm really glad he is gone. I hated it when he was my state's senator!

Gerry Clinchy
01-06-2010, 12:56 PM

One news article mentioned that he had held his seat for 46 years!

NO legislator should hold a position for that long! Same for Ted Kennedy who was in even longer, I believe. And PA's Spector.

I think our founding fathers would be appalled at that kind of politcal power.

dnf777
01-06-2010, 01:22 PM
I think our founding fathers would be appalled at that kind of politcal power.

Or the LACK of voters exercising their power to remove them! We had a glimmer of hope in '06, but essentially NOTHING has changed. I think lobbyists and campaign contributors trump the American people. (granted, lobbyists perform a function, and ARE Americans themselves, but I think the balance of power is tipped VERY unfairly in their favor, to the detriment of the country.)

Gerry, I've never agreed so much with someone I disagree with! ;-)

Uncle Bill
01-06-2010, 03:50 PM
Is there any possibility of removing the other, as paul calls them, a dirty politician...My Boy Lollypop?

What keeps voters returning Barney to office? Is the 4th congressional district of Mass that gay? Or does he keep the pork coming to that state. I suspect with Kennedy/Kerry et al, that state gets about as much as Byrd brought to WV.

UB

subroc
01-06-2010, 05:53 PM
it's not that he's not welcome as a Democrat, he just plain isn't welcome anymore, at least that's the way i see it...

Why is that?

paul young
01-06-2010, 07:02 PM
Joe,

from my perspective, he has done a poor job representing the people of Connecticut and does not look at the big picture of what is in the best interests of our nation when he casts his vote. he is probably no worse than any other Senator who has been in office who has served as many terms in office as he has, though. too many deals not enough conscience.

i am all for term limits......-Paul

Gerry Clinchy
01-06-2010, 07:36 PM
Gerry, I've never agreed so much with someone I disagree with! ;-)

Are you sure we disagree that much?

I think that intelligent, reasonable people will not agree on everything all the time. Everyone will be shaped by their individual life experience, so perspectives will likely vary from one issue to the next. Sometimes they will agree; sometimes not.

From what I can see, everyone on this forum seems to agree that term limits would be a positive improvement for our legislators.

While some have said that elections should take care of that, it hasn't done so. People get in a rut if they don't have to seriously consider a totally new candidate. Human nature to stick with the "known" v. the "unknown". Term limits would maybe force change, for better or for worse. But they might just think about their vote more. And maybe not :-)

Maybe even better to put $ limits on campaign funds? If those lobby groups didn't spend so much money on campaign coffers, they'd have more to devote to the production, R&D and quality of their products; maybe even lower prices on their products?