PDA

View Full Version : Where do you stand Politically??

road kill
01-06-2010, 12:58 PM
There have been insinuations, accusations and lots of DENIAL about where we stand on the political spectrum.

Where do you fit??

I beleive in God, like firearms, pay my mortgage (and some of yours), I kinda like NASCAR & cow girls.
I have my own enterprise and beleive in self reliance.

Seriously, I am certainly to the right of McCain..........

I also do understand that we have all arrived at our positions honestly based on our life experiences.

Me???

I am a conservative right winger.
In some regards, probably would be considered an extremist.
Not into violence unless forced, then it's 100% to win.
(been there, done that).

NEXT??

Franco
01-06-2010, 01:48 PM
I am an old fashioned Conservative without a political party!

Old fashioned Conservatives believe that the government's responsibility is to;
Protect The Constituiton
Protect its Citizens
Maintain the infastructure for commerce
Maintain a balanced budget

period!

Areas that our government is failing in as they pander for votes.

No social agenda, no big brother, no entitlements, no government owned banks, auto mfg and certainly not our Health Care provider!

Small government, not the huge out-of-control one we have now.

subroc
01-06-2010, 03:19 PM
I am a slightly to the right leaning centrist.

Uncle Bill
01-06-2010, 04:00 PM
I'm a pure HEWist.

UB

Julie R.
01-06-2010, 04:03 PM
I'm a fiscal conservative, more liberal on social issues, or should I say more libertarian. I don't care what someone does with their own body whether it's abortion, drugs, booze, tobacco, self mutilation, etc., or should I say I may not like it but I do not feel it's my decision nor the government's. Make all drugs legal and tax the hell out of them.

This country is becoming a nanny state and its citizens a bunch of ninnies who need a law for everything and entitlement programs for 3/4 of the population that the productive quarter has to finance. In another generation or two that will probably become the productive 1/8th supporting the remaining 7/8ths. What's wrong with this picture?

Public education has been dumbed down to meet the lowest common denominator and dumping more money into it isn't going to fix the problem.

Put Sheriff Joe Arpaio in charge of the prisons and quit coddling criminals and terrorists. Make prison something people think about before committing crimes instead of 3 hots and a cot.

I could go on but you get the gist. I'm a little to the right of Gengis Khan. ;-)

Pals
01-06-2010, 04:17 PM
What she<Julie R> said.

Marvin S
01-06-2010, 04:31 PM
A Goldwater (Libertatian Republican) Fiscal Conservative. I believe the Feds have gotten their noses where they don't belong in many areas. Education, Subsidies of any kind, TSA, ATC, etc.

I am a strong believer that government should stay out of any area where the private sector can operate. They should do what they are supposed to do as best they can & leave everything else to the private sector. I would also like to see educational quotas stopped. If more MD's, DDS's & DVM's were trained in the public schools the market would be more competitive, & costs would be lower. I don't believe government should be in the business of deciding who will have the advantage.

We need to stop most foreign aid as it only goes into the bank accounts of despot leadership. I also believe in free trade, if the little guy in most of those countries that are poverty stricken could just earn a decent living there would be less reason for them to do whatever they think it takes to feed their family.

luvmylabs23139
01-06-2010, 05:17 PM
The less gov't the better! Go back to the founding fathers!
The gov't needs to get out of social issues, and leave hard working peoples money alone.
If someone wants an abortion, that is their choice but don't touch my money to pay for it. On the same note don't expect me to pay for your kids, and no you should not pay less if you have kids.
Commit a crime, pay a price. KIll, and you shall die.
Steal, well cut off the hand that stole.
Prison, no TV, hard labor and bread and water.

david gibson
01-06-2010, 07:39 PM
definite right leaning moderate with a strong libertarian factor and a hard science degree with graduate studies. very independent free thinker based on sound facts......

Captain Mike D
01-06-2010, 07:55 PM
Strict constructionalist views with no tolerance of federal government overstepping what the framers intended.

BonMallari
01-07-2010, 12:37 AM
I lean to the right politically, fiscally conservative, pro life.. pro gun..anti immmigration

I am also not against gay marriage ( I have two gay nephews, one that married his partner) I still dont support the legalization of marijuana, I believe in the use of the death penalty. I am leaning toward not being in Afghanistan, but also believe that we need to quit giving financial aid to every third world country...

and while we're at it ...I prefer red wines , blondes instead of brunettes (Jaclyn Smith the exception), I like dark meat when it comes to turkey.....and most important....

I train without an E collar :):D

Raymond Little
01-07-2010, 06:32 AM
I lean to the right politically, fiscally conservative, pro life.. pro gun..anti immmigration

I am also not against gay marriage ( I have two gay nephews, one that married his partner) I still dont support the legalization of marijuana, I believe in the use of the death penalty. I am leaning toward not being in Afghanistan, but also believe that we need to quit giving financial aid to every third world country...

and while we're at it ...I prefer red wines , blondes instead of brunettes (Jaclyn Smith the exception), I like dark meat when it comes to turkey.....and most important....

I train without an E collar :):D

You Lefty, knew it all along;)

ducknwork
01-07-2010, 06:40 AM
Fiscal conservative, social conservative, especially when it comes to abortion and other issues of life. (...LIFE, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness...) Anti death penalty. I wish the govt would learn how to be financially responsible. Get rid of wasteful spending and we would have the money to do the other things that we are currently borrowing to do.

The government wouldn't have to get involved with many issues if people were responsible for themselves...If you don't want a kid, wrap it up or ,better yet, abstain from sex till marriage, abortion is murder in it's worst form. Feed your own family. Work hard. Have a sense of pride about yourself. Don't look for someone else to take care of you. Be proactive.

road kill
01-07-2010, 06:49 AM
Funny, not one lefty liberal admits to it!!

rk

Hoosier
01-07-2010, 07:27 AM
Funny, not one lefty liberal admits to it!!

rk

I'm a lefty liberal;)

Steve Amrein
01-07-2010, 08:40 AM
I'm a lefty liberal;)

Hahaha me too

road kill
01-07-2010, 05:43 PM
Not one admits it!!!

paul young
01-07-2010, 06:36 PM
i admit it. my political beliefs are left of center. not way left of center, though.depends on your personal scale of things, i guess.-Paul

starjack
01-07-2010, 06:41 PM
Conservative With Aquestion How Come It Seems Like People Have Alot Of Conservative Values But The Dems Are In Power.

road kill
01-07-2010, 06:47 PM
i admit it. my political beliefs are left of center. not way left of center, though.depends on your personal scale of things, i guess.-Paul

I respect you for answering.
I also understand that your life experiences have brought you to where you are and respect that.

I find it interesting that only 1 liberal admits it.

rk

road kill
01-07-2010, 06:51 PM
Conservative With Aquestion How Come It Seems Like People Have Alot Of Conservative Values But The Dems Are In Power.

Because there are more of them.
More Pro-Abortion
More Anti-Guns
More Gay Marriage advocates
More Gays, Lesbians and Transvestites
More SS recipients under retirement age
More Career Welfare Recipients
More Atheist and Secular Progressives
More Anti-US people
More Union Members
More WEAC (also union) members

All and all, the "Big Tent" has many more special interest groups that vote Democrat than the right does!!:D

rk

Steve Amrein
01-07-2010, 06:55 PM

The promise of free stuff. Stick it to the man....

starjack
01-07-2010, 07:05 PM
Hopefully With Them Very Shady People In The White House People Will Get Back To Our Fore Fathers Values

YardleyLabs
01-07-2010, 07:27 PM
By the standards of this forum, I am clearly left of center. However, I generally view myself as a fiscal moderate, a social libertarian, and a believer that the government has a role to play in assisting the weak, stimulating excellence, protecting competition, and promoting national security while basically staying out of our personal lives. I distrust unchecked power, whether it is held by the government or corporations, and believe that freedoms are meaningless unless the are afforded to those we most dislike as well as to the rest of us. When it comes to balancing freedom against security, I strongly prefer freedom and am prepared to accept the insecurity that necessarily entails.

BonMallari
01-07-2010, 07:41 PM

IMHO two reasons

1. Republican arrogance thinking there was no way they were going to get beat at the voting booth and they screwed up while in power

2. Dems did a great job of getting people fired up, ticked off at the last 8 yrs, and out to vote thinking they were going to get something,from this administration

dback
01-07-2010, 09:34 PM
By the standards of this forum, I am clearly left of center. However, I generally view myself as a fiscal moderate, a social libertarian, and a believer that the government has a role to play in assisting the weak, stimulating excellence, protecting competition, and promoting national security while basically staying out of our personal lives. I distrust unchecked power, whether it is held by the government or corporations, and believe that freedoms are meaningless unless the are afforded to those we most dislike as well as to the rest of us. When it comes to balancing freedom against security, I strongly prefer freedom and am prepared to accept the insecurity that necessarily entails.

Hoooooooly shit......we're joined at the hip!!!!!!! Had your avatar not been next to this post, I'd of said....yessireeeee Bob....this is my kind of guy. So why is it IMHO so many of your comments seem to be left of this statement? Seriously....I was pissed about the money Bush allowed to be spent yet he was a 'choir boy' compared to this administration, I don't see us protecting competition at all, talk about 'unchecked power'....did I miss it???? Your expression of concern in these areas must have eluded me. I seriously am not trying to be a smart ass here, I don't understand how two people could agree on the surface of a statement and be nearly polar opposites in it's execution.

BonMallari
01-07-2010, 09:58 PM
Hoooooooly shit......we're joined at the hip!!!!!!! Had your avatar not been next to this post, I'd of said....yessireeeee Bob....this is my kind of guy. So why is it IMHO so many of your comments seem to be left of this statement? Seriously....I was pissed about the money Bush allowed to be spent yet he was a 'choir boy' compared to this administration, I don't see us protecting competition at all, talk about 'unchecked power'....did I miss it???? Your expression of concern in these areas must have eluded me. I seriously am not trying to be a smart ass here, I don't understand how two people could agree on the surface of a statement and be nearly polar opposites in it's execution.

in reality guys like Jeff (yardley) and Drf777 arent as far to the left as their posts read, their hearts are in the right place and they want the same things all the rest of us want, I just think they get a rise out of playing contrarian on POTUS and are playing most on here like Yo Yo Ma plays a Stradivarius

Now Roger on the other hand....:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Marvin S
01-07-2010, 10:13 PM

I served on a School Board with a Cop who sounded to the right of me in his statements - But never voted that way. & did he expect all sorts of "Rank has it's privileges" sort of gimmicks. He managed to BN his way up the ladder in one of our major PD's. Crime statistics rose, no surprise to those of us who were on the board with him.

If the inhabitants of the Leftosphere aren't truly ashamed of what they have wrought on this country, I can't accept a few printed words as validation that we might think remotely alike. But there are times when we may want to see a somewhat similar result, I just don't believe they have the remotest clue of how to arrive at that destination.

This is what they offered against Bush - Gore & then Kerry & they top it off with Obongo. :( but funny. :)

JDogger
01-07-2010, 10:16 PM
in reality guys like Jeff (yardley) and Drf777 arent as far to the left as their posts read, their hearts are in the right place and they want the same things all the rest of us want, I just think they get a rise out of playing contrarian on POTUS and are playing most on here like Yo Yo Ma plays a Stradivarius

I think Bon starts to "get it". Will anybody else? Oh, maybe... eventually...

JD

Ken Bora
01-07-2010, 10:54 PM
Who am I? What a question because I don’t know. Back in the early eighties I was a Young Reagan Republican and I was happy. Everything seemed so simple, so cut and dried. The years went by and questions started to come up. I started to become confused. Living in Vermont has not helped. I have voted in every election since 82, every meaning all. All politics is local politics. Voting for the best person for the job at hand means that over the years I have voted for people of the republican, democratic, progressive, green, green progressive and libertarian parties. I have even voted for Bernie Sanders on more than one occasion following this “best person for the job at hand” philosophy. You been following the news? See Bernie’s name all over some $$$s for Vermont in that worthless health care fiasco? How embarrassing, yup that’s my senator. See the pesky problem with being on one party or another is the issues.
Guns- I have them, I want more. I want you to have them too. I want every citizen to be armed like the original Vermont law. I want gun laws we actually have now to be enforced more better.
Gays- Let them marry, they are working and paying taxes and taking turns at neighborhood watch and contributing to the community. What’s the big deal?
Abortion- Who the heck am I, a single white male, to decide some inner city girl living in poverty is not allowed to have a safe legal abortion? That decision should be between her and her God, What Ever one she chooses. Who the heck am I? And, and this will sound cold I know. And it is cost effective! That child in that situation will be costing the state from incubation to education and through incarceration. And if the crimes (there will be crime) are severe enough to warrant the death penalty, well we just came full circle didn’t we? And all along the way the state is coughing up $$$.
Military- We are THE super power. We are the world police force like it or not. An ever so small percent of my weekly paycheck going to the general fund and then to armed services pays for that. We have the best, bought and paid for by you and I. If you have the best dog on RTF would you chain it to the porch? I don’t want my military sitting down in Texas drilling and training. I want them out doing something. Now those countries who’s a$$ we save. Lets cough up some cash please.
Privacy- my house, you better have a gosh darn good reason and a piece of paper.
Term limits- Absolutely, the professional politician should go the way of the 8-track cassette.

See, just a bit confusing isn’t it?

dnf777
01-08-2010, 05:11 AM

And I thought the similarities ended with me and Hew both eating Ramen noodles! :D

Honestly, you could take just about any post here in this thread, and and I could put a ditto behind it, with mabye one or two exceptions. Fact is, if we all agreed 99% of the time, we'd spend pages of posts sparring over that 1% remaining. Well, maybe 2%. A lot of what folks have said here is surprising. From my vantage point, I would agree that most are just right of center, and more moderate on social issues that I would have guessed by just reading other threads.

It seems like a consistent point of contention centers around entitlement programs, and the perceptions of WHO is receiving them, from the recent chef giving food away, all the way back to the WIC thread.

To the OP, this and the 'what we do for a living' have been two awesome threads! Thanks

Jim Person
01-08-2010, 05:16 AM
Pretty much what Ken said, describes me.... One thing I do think is way over due is term limits after 8-12 years in office it is hard not to be corrupted. What is funny or scary to me though is we the people continue to put these politicians back in time after time even though they do more to screw this country up. In Mass. I hope on Jan 19 we put a republican in the US senate. That would send a message loud and clear across the country that we are done putting in a democrat just because they are a democrat, or vice versa for republicans. Put the best man or woman in office period. The dem that is running has refused to put mandatory bail requirements for sex offenders , one of which was out on bail for raping a 5 year old and then raped a 2 year old but a couple months later while waiting for trial, she is also 100% for health care debacle including the strong public option.... Still can't believe with all the opposition to the healthcare bill they are still ramming it down our throats.... Jim

Pete
01-08-2010, 08:53 AM
admit it. my political beliefs are left of center. not way left of center, though.depends on your personal scale of things, i guess.-Paul
You call that an answere to your question,,, he said he's a lefty,,,everyone new it

He should of continued with ,,I believe workers money should be used to support the lazy,,,,workers money should be used to support global warming you know the things that most lefties believe in,,,, or does it sound to ludacrist when written down

Pete

dnf777
01-08-2010, 09:08 AM
You call that an answere to your question,,, he said he's a lefty,,,everyone new it

He should of continued with ,,I believe workers money should be used to support the lazy,,,,workers money should be used to support global warming you know the things that most lefties believe in,,,, or does it sound to ludacrist when written down

Pete

Nobody believes that Pete. If if sounds too ridiculous to be true, it probably is. My blood boils when I see people on food stamps buying soda, cigs, lotto tickets as much, if not more than yours. But I don't believe those who truly need a hand should be cut off due to the abuses of some.

BTW, I was going to poke fun at your spelling, but then realized I don't know how to spell that word either??!! :D Doh! --something to the effect of "if Jesus was a rapper"

paul young
01-08-2010, 11:08 AM
Pete,

if you have some specific questions, i'll be glad to try to answer them to your satisfaction. i just found it hard to sum up where i stand in a general way. on some topics, i am extremely conservative, on most i am probably not too far either side of center, and on some i am extremely liberal.

Walt, thanks for the kind words! whatever i have learned about training, i owe to the people that have taken the time to teach me, and there are a bunch of them!

Dave, thanks for the reality check.... -Paul

Schmemdog
05-13-2010, 11:43 AM
Was just wondering this, funny someone already asked! I'll admit to being left of center. Not way left, but left. Pro guns, pro free market, pro choice, pro environment, pro taxes. Fiscally I pull from both camps, socially I'm more liberal than not. Seems like that's the minority :-)

depittydawg
05-13-2010, 04:27 PM
More libertarian than liberal. I believe there is NO private enterprise "to big to fail".
I think we waste a heck of a lot more on corporate welfare than we do on social welfare. Especially when you consider the cost of the Wars to keep the oil flowing out of the middle east
I think our Government now is closer to a Plutocracy than a republic.
Corporations are not citizens and should be heavily regulated and restricted as was originally set up in this country
I think the federal government is extremely over powered
And to regulate commerce when necessary is not Socialism.

Steve
05-13-2010, 11:24 PM
I am a liberal; a Jeffersonian liberal that is. I hate the fact that leftists have co-opted the term.

In today's terms I am mostly libertarian with generally conservative views on foreign policy. I believe the government has no business enacting any legislation that does not apply equally to everyone. I believe the government has no business in trying to affect social issues like telling us what to eat, how much to weigh, or trying to increase home ownership.

I believe that what ultimately makes us a great nation is our culture and general respect for the rule of law.

JDogger
05-13-2010, 11:44 PM
Somewhere to the right of this guy and to the left of hew

http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll176/JDoggger/Oatwillie.jpg

I'm sure you remember Oat Willie and the "Free Pizza Ticket".

JD

charly_t
05-14-2010, 01:16 AM
I agree with a lot of the posts on this thread. I liked what Franco, Julie and Ken all had to say. I am registered as a republican but I never vote a party ticket.......I vote for the person. I hate the primaries for that reason. I think our current government problems could be helped by doing away with many laws that are now on the books. I'm keeping my guns one way or another. I hate the way our government wants to throw money at every problem. I want them to stop giving it away both at home and abroad. I want them to stop trying to fix the whole world's problems. We no longer have the money to keep doing that. Close our borders and lock the gate. I know that the little test said I was a lefty but the only time that term fits me is when I raise a long gun ( either a rifle or a shotgun ).