PDA

View Full Version : Amendment 28 anyone???

Uncle Bill
01-09-2010, 02:52 PM
This, along with term limits would seem to be just what the USA needs eh?

UB

Amendment 28

Congress shall make no law that applies to the citizens of the United States that does not apply equally to the Senators and/or Representatives, and Congress shall make no law that applies to the Senators and/or Representatives that does not apply equally to the citizens of the United States!

When the people fear their
government there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.

Thomas Jefferson

dnf777
01-09-2010, 04:16 PM
How about we extend that Amendment to include the President of the United States. Your president signed 161 signing statements, that affected or essentially nullified many of 1100 provisions passed by congress. Mostly his own republican congress, BTW. Do you think its ok for a president to excuse himself from the law? Or from carrying out his sworn duty to enforce the laws enacted under congress vis a vis the Constitution?

Hoosier
01-09-2010, 05:39 PM
How about we extend that Amendment to include the President of the United States. Your president signed 161 signing statements, that affected or essentially nullified many of 1100 provisions passed by congress. Mostly his own republican congress, BTW. Do you think its ok for a president to excuse himself from the law? Or from carrying out his sworn duty to enforce the laws enacted under congress vis a vis the Constitution?

Unless you can make your amendment retroactive, it would have no bearing on what Bush did. So maybe we should concentrate on getting this current bunch of criminals we have in office in line.

dnf777
01-09-2010, 05:48 PM
Unless you can make your amendment retroactive, it would have no bearing on what Bush did. So maybe we should concentrate on getting this current bunch of criminals we have in office in line.

Agreed. I just used him to make my point since he's the last president to serve out a full term.

road kill
01-09-2010, 05:51 PM
Agreed. I just used him to make my point since he's the last president to serve out a full term.

Uh Huh......:rolleyes:

dnf777
01-09-2010, 08:47 PM
Uh Huh......:rolleyes:

Okay, you got me. But I did check to see if Obama was on record pace, in which case I would have used him as an example. As of the new year, he signed 8 statements. If he goes 8 years, that trajectory would give him 64, to Bush's 161, so I stuck with Bush.

Hew
01-10-2010, 12:37 AM
Okay, you got me. But I did check to see if Obama was on record pace, in which case I would have used him as an example. As of the new year, he signed 8 statements. If he goes 8 years, that trajectory would give him 64, to Bush's 161, so I stuck with Bush.
Oh, so signing statements are fine just as long as you don't break your predecessor's record? If that's your matrix then I surprised you didn't praise Bush for having less than half the signing statements that Clinton did. And less than his father, and less than Reagan. Since you wanted to keep things current and all, why not compare 2008, where Bush had 5 signing statements, to 2009, where Obama had 8. Your outrage is so fierce. And so selective.

dnf777
01-10-2010, 07:01 AM
Good to hear from ya Hew!
My post stands by itself, I said or implied nothing more, nothing less.
I wasn't going to say anything, but since you brought it up......Bush had the most signing statements, AND he destroyed the records for vacation time....so put those two together, and I doubt anyone will surpass his placing himself above the law anytime soon. I'm watching thought; if Obama does, you'll hear it from me.

cotts135
01-10-2010, 07:45 AM
How about we just enforce the laws we have regardless of Political affiliation or social status.

road kill
01-10-2010, 08:12 AM
How about we just enforce the laws we have regardless of Political affiliation or social status.
You right wing extremist you!!

I love it!!

rk

Hew
01-10-2010, 10:59 AM
Good to hear from ya Hew!
My post stands by itself, I said or implied nothing more, nothing less. Anyone with a scintilla of reading comprehension skills got your point. In your first post, signing statements were an affront to the constititution and you were just so steamin' mad about Bush doing it. After signing statements were mentioned in context of the Obama admin. (who, btw, made a campaign promise to not use signing statements), your rage all but disappeared, and apparently signing statements aren't all that bad assuming you don't do more than Bush.
I wasn't going to say anything, but since you brought it up......Bush had the most signing statements you're wrong, he didn't have the most; not even close , AND he destroyed the records for vacation time....so put those two together, and I doubt anyone will surpass his placing himself above the law anytime soon. LOL. "Put those two together and..." WTF do signing statements and vacation time have to do with each other when discussing the lawlessness of Bush? Reach much? Actually, "grope like a punch drunk fighter trying to find his corner much?" is more appropriate. I'm watching thought; if Obama does, you'll hear it from me. So the only time we'll here from you again about Obama signing statements (you know, according to you, those horrible affronts to the Constitution that border on treason) is if he's going to break Bush's record? Rest easy, everyone...that Consititutional hawk and fair dispensor of criticism, DNF is walking the beat. He'll tell us when we need to worry about Obama. :p:p:p

dnf777
01-10-2010, 11:28 AM
{and you were just so steamin' mad about Bush doing it}

No rage, I just made a comment, but thanks for continuing your steadfast tradition of pretending to know what everyone else is thinking and feeling. I'm smiling, :D , see? No rage. You need to brush up your perception of rage skills. Your sensitivity is set a little too low. Here, I'll smile again in case you thought that comment was made in a fit of rage. :D:D:D

My comment about record vacation time had nothing to do with lawlessness. It was merely observing that you can't sign statements if you're out mountain biking or playing cowboy on your ranch all the time! Please believe me, I'm not complaining about Bush's vacation time. If he'd taken more, we might be in less trouble than we are today!

{ WTF do signing statements and vacation time have to do with each other when discussing the lawlessness of Bush?}

Oh, if you want to criticize for bringing up past events, turn on your TV right now. As I type, your boy, Michael Steele, is whining about racial comments Harry Reid made back during the campaign. Nice timing Mike!

In summary, NO rage here. In fact, if you listen closely, you can hear me whistling "What a wonderful world".

Edit: I know Michael Steele isn't your boy, but then again, you know Obama isn't mine either!