PDA

View Full Version : Is the POTUS forum a waste of time ?

Steve Amrein
01-14-2010, 11:42 AM
After Jdogs post I feel the divide between the left and the right are what they are. To me its obvious these arguments or discussions are pointless. Its very unlikely that anyones mind will be changed by anything said. I am going to try and wean myself from this and find something better to do with my time. I understand why this is off the main forum. Maybe I'll do some thing a bit more meaningfull like join the Britney Spears fan club, go outside and watch the snow melt or update my facebook page with the color of my shoe laces.

Henry V
01-14-2010, 11:57 AM
.... To me its obvious these arguments or discussions are pointless.
Almost - there is some entertainment value.

JDogger
01-14-2010, 12:30 PM
I've said it before.

Originally Posted by JDogger http://www.retrievertraining.net/forums/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.retrievertraining.net/forums/showthread.php?p=547012#post547012)
Maybe a group hug and just shut PP down?:wink:

Naaah...

JD

road kill
01-14-2010, 12:52 PM
After Jdogs post I feel the divide between the left and the right are what they are. To me its obvious these arguments or discussions are pointless. Its very unlikely that anyones mind will be changed by anything said. I am going to try and wean myself from this and find something better to do with my time. I understand why this is off the main forum. Maybe I'll do some thing a bit more meaningfull like join the Britney Spears fan club, go outside and watch the snow melt or update my facebook page with the color of my shoe laces.
Hopefully some of the posts make you smile & chuckle.

To answer the question.....ABSOLUTELY it's a waste of time.
So is sex at my age.

So???:p

rk

ducknwork
01-14-2010, 01:20 PM
Don't get rid of PP....What else would I do at work?:p

Seriously though, the divide does show up much worse when you have the head pot stirrer involved. I think a lot of us can *sorta* find some common ground sometimes...

BonMallari
01-14-2010, 01:32 PM
lets see its a retriever forum and we are like dogs chasing our own tails, DISCUSSING :rolleyes: the issues that will change the world, and our opinions have very little bearing on the outcome...yup its a waste of time

but without it, it would clog up the main forum and probably get a few on here put on scholastic probation or expelled from school...besides you can only talk about Rex Carr and his effect on the modern day handler so many times

besides according to Bruce , I need to be chipping in the CFB discussion on the main page:p:p

AmiableLabs
01-14-2010, 01:58 PM
Just imagine what it is like to be a Kool-Aid drinking lefty right now --

Obama's approval ratings are tanking.
The majority of Americans now say they would not have voted for him.
His economic measures have failed.
He is more concerned about everything than he is about National Security (three days to react to terrorist plot, but mere hours to react to Haiti disaster).
With veto-proof majorities in both houses the Dems still can't get their initiatives past.
The majority of Americans are vocally opposed to their signature issue of socialized medicine.
While the average person is concerned about their job and the economy, the Dem leadership is totally occupied with health care.
They are staring huge election losses this year in the face.
Guantanamo is still open despite promises made.
Health care debate is taking place in secret despite promises made.
Obama is keeping in place all the spying practices they said was unconstitutional under GWB.
Legal protections for terrorists instead of interrogations.
The vast majority of Americans believe we are on the wrong track.
And on, and on, and on.

You have to expect to see the likes of JDog lash out against conservatives, he is feeling the bruising. And the annual idiot remark by the likes of the eighty-year old irrelevant Pat Robertson is all they got. :roll:

I have never been so glad to be a conservative.

dback
01-14-2010, 01:58 PM
So is sex at my age.

LMAO.....Best post of the day.....Jeff 'might' even agree with you on this one. :-)

Bayou Magic
01-14-2010, 02:26 PM

So is sex at my age.

rk

LMAO.....Best post of the day.....Jeff 'might' even agree with you on this one. :-)

WHAT??? How old are you guys, about 120???

Thanks goodness this forum is here. It gives the lefties an opportunity to gather knowledge and life skills that will serve them well in the future!

fp

Henry V
01-14-2010, 02:39 PM
Just imagine what it is like to be a Kool-Aid drinking lefty right now --

Obama's approval ratings are tanking.
The majority of Americans now say they would not have voted for him.
His economic measures have failed.
He is more concerned about everything than he is about National Security (three days to react to terrorist plot, but mere hours to react to Haiti disaster).
With veto-proof majorities in both houses the Dems still can't get their initiatives past.
The majority of Americans are vocally opposed to their signature issue of socialized medicine.
While the average person is concerned about their job and the economy, the Dem leadership is totally occupied with health care.
They are staring huge election losses this year in the face.
Guantanamo is still open despite promises made.
Health care debate is taking place in secret despite promises made.
Obama is keeping in place all the spying practices they said was unconstitutional under GWB.
Legal protections for terrorists instead of interrogations.
The vast majority of Americans believe we are on the wrong track.
And on, and on, and on.

You have to expect to see the likes of JDog lash out against conservatives, he is feeling the bruising. And the annual idiot remark by the likes of the eighty-year old irrelevant Pat Robertson is all they got. :roll:

I have never been so glad to be a conservative.

Like I said above. Thanks for the entertainment. Hilarious!!!!!

Buzz
01-14-2010, 02:46 PM
Trying to change anyone's mind about politics is a complete waste of time.

I'm in it for the entertainment value.

I stay away from discussing politics with people I agree with. How much fun can that be?

Franco
01-14-2010, 02:58 PM
Thanks goodness this forum is here. It gives the lefties an opportunity to gather knowledge and life skills that will serve them well in the future!

fp

Only if they utilize what they have learned here on POTUS PLACE!:-P

Debating Politics, Religion and Football is fun.

dback
01-14-2010, 04:04 PM
WHAT??? How old are you guys, about 120???

I believe RK's point was that they're both pretty much 'non-productive' yet quite entertaining. ;-)

Hew
01-14-2010, 04:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Amrein http://www.retrievertraining.net/forums/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.retrievertraining.net/forums/showthread.php?p=550841#post550841)
.... To me its obvious these arguments or discussions are pointless.

Almost - there is some entertainment value.
So your reams of posts pimping global warming or refuting the posts of those who don't buy into global warming are just for fun and you have absolutely zero intent on changing anybody's mind? Right. You may be sellin', but I ain't buyin'. ;-)

DSemple
01-14-2010, 05:15 PM
I generally donít have the time to partake, but I do enjoy the entertainment reading value you all provide.

Please keep it up .

....Don

P.S. Just for the record my political philosophy falls somewhere in line between UB and Hew, or maybe itís between Juli H and Road Kill, or maybe between Franco and Subrock, or maybe ducknwork and Steve Amrein.

P.S.S. Known liberals get a very disproportionate number of "no birds" here in Kansas.

Cody Covey
01-14-2010, 05:47 PM
After Jdogs post I feel the divide between the left and the right are what they are. To me its obvious these arguments or discussions are pointless. Its very unlikely that anyones mind will be changed by anything said. I am going to try and wean myself from this and find something better to do with my time. I understand why this is off the main forum. Maybe I'll do some thing a bit more meaningfull like join the Britney Spears fan club, go outside and watch the snow melt or update my facebook page with the color of my shoe laces.No offense to Dave but he has said this a couple times and keeps coming back...see you tomorrow :)

mjh345
01-14-2010, 05:51 PM
It helps keep the WHACKOS occupied and off of the main forum

Angie B
01-14-2010, 06:01 PM

"Boy Howdy"!! :D

Angie

YardleyLabs
01-14-2010, 06:16 PM

So is sex at my age.

rk

I basically agree with this. At the same time, I think that the discussions here have affected my opinions significantly. That may be hard to believe for those that prefer to see my "bloviations" as simple repetition of left wind drivel. However, in those discussions that begin with what I believe to be gross distortions, or those that begin with challenging facts (it's sometimes hard to know the difference), I find myself researching a lot of sources to make my own assessment. I learn a lot doing this, especially since my own opinions tend to be just a "little" different from the majority. If anything I write also affects any other opinions, that is just a bonus.

Franco
01-14-2010, 06:33 PM
I basically agree with this. At the same time, I think that the discussions here have affected my opinions significantly. That may be hard to believe for those that prefer to see my "bloviations" as simple repetition of left wind drivel. However, in those discussions that begin with what I believe to be gross distortions, or those that begin with challenging facts (it's sometimes hard to know the difference), I find myself researching a lot of sources to make my own assessment. I learn a lot doing this, especially since my own opinions tend to be just a "little" different from the majority. If anything I write also affects any other opinions, that is just a bonus.

I appreciate your efforts in providing well-thought-out counterpoints.

I'm not sure we have a majority of thought here though. Even the Christians here on POTUS can't agree which of thier sects is the correct one! Some like Palin and other Republicans don't, etc.

Anyway, you do a great job of challenging what is posted.:cool:
I enjoy the dialog.

Generally speaking, different areas of the country do think differently and RTF confirms that. Not saying, good or bad, just different.

JDogger
01-14-2010, 07:17 PM
I deleted the thread I started titled, "Yer chance".

The situation in Haiti is much too serious for bickering on PP.

JD

ducknwork
01-14-2010, 07:52 PM
You're no fun at all, O Frowny One.

JDogger
01-14-2010, 08:15 PM
You're no fun at all, O Frowny One.

It ran its course. Nothing further to be gained. Keep your thoughts on the people of Haiti.

JD http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll176/JDoggger/smilies/labrador.gif

Henry V
01-14-2010, 09:04 PM
So your reams of posts pimping global warming or refuting the posts of those who don't buy into global warming are just for fun and you have absolutely zero intent on changing anybody's mind? Right. You may be sellin', but I ain't buyin'. ;-)

Hmm. You think I am pimping global warming. That's interesting.

Have I ever started a global warming post? No. That is only ever done by the naysayers. Why is that? Maybe they are the ones pimping their perspective.

How many times have I simply provided a link to an article and nothing else? If you look into some posts I have even admitted I could be wrong about the topic.

Do I respond to folks that write only one side of the story? Yes.

Just keeping things fair and balanced don't you know. Isn't that how you like it Hew? ;)

Snicklefritz
01-14-2010, 10:04 PM
A total and complete waste of time. A worthelss distraction from the dogs. We don't need it. What we need is to develope a forum culture where political discussion is discouraged... or moderators to hit the <nick> button a few times. Force/pressure works...right?

I'm tired of having to look over to the right to see if a thread is in POTUS.

Snick

Hew
01-15-2010, 06:22 AM
Do I respond to folks that write only one side of the story? Yes.
Hmmmm....that sounds suspiciously like you're trying to change somebody's mind. I'm not harshing on your posts...just the notion that you'd put so much time and energy into something that you and others say is "pointless entertainment that doesn't affect anyone or change their mind." Some of your posts have made me rethink my position or look more into a particular issue to see if what I think/believe is valid.

Here, I'll cop to it: MOST OF MY POSTS ARE WRITTEN TO CHANGE SOMEBODY'S MIND. I have no pretenses that I'm curing cancer, but perhaps in my tiny little corner of the world I can make a tiny difference...whether that gets somebody to lean a little more to the way I think or dispells some bogus notion that is harmful to my political opinions. Who among us doesn't think to themselves, "gee, if more people thought like me or believed the same things as me this city/country/world wouldn't be so effed up."? Sure there's some entertainment value and the interactions are interesting, but I could watch Mork and Mindy re-runs if all I wanted was entertainment.

ducknwork
01-15-2010, 06:23 AM
Nanoo nanoo, Hew.

Hew
01-15-2010, 06:26 AM
I'm tired of having to look over to the right to see if a thread is in POTUS.

I don't know wth you're talking about, but all that looking over to the right stuff sounds exhausting. Hopefully Chris will axe Potus so you won't be so tired.

Hew
01-15-2010, 07:56 AM
...as opposed to all the sane people like you posting on the main forum misrepresenting the owner of the website's opinions about one of his sponsor's products. ;-)

Hew
01-15-2010, 07:57 AM
Nanoo nanoo, Hew.
And a shazzbot to you, my friend. :)

road kill
01-15-2010, 08:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjh345
"It helps keep the WHACKOS occupied and off of the main forum

...as opposed to all the sane people like you posting on the main forum misrepresenting the owner of the website's opinions about one of his sponsor's products.

Yeah, it keeps us out of the Long Underwear discussion!!

Frankly, the people on this board are far more civil and less "catty" than many on the main board.

I asked for help on a couple of training issues and got some good info, but a lot of negative garbage info laced with as much sarcasm as I've seen here.
So if I have a question I have 3 or 4 guys I go to directly via PM.

In regard to our training efforts, there may be better than "Team Elvis" but we don't get outworked and our commitment to excellence is on display at every test we run in.

So I see no call for anyone to look down their noses at we who gather at the water cooler here!
There is as much knowledge and experise on politics here as the is other topics elsewhere.

Thomas Jefferson once said "the only thought more frightening than men arguing religion & politics is the thought of men NOT arguing religion and politics!!"

rk