PDA

View Full Version : FINALLY....food stamp receipt

Juli H
01-14-2010, 01:22 PM
this is a good example of what is generally purchased with food stamps... (except not usual to see baby food, I think this is probably one of the few times I've had baby food bought with food stamps...LOL)
http://img693.imageshack.us/img693/1171/picturesq.jpg (http://img693.imageshack.us/i/picturesq.jpg/)

some of the items are easy to identify...but I will list them here

case jerky individual snack packs, case tim's potato chip variety snack pack, 12 pk pepsi, case pepperidge farm crackers snack pack, toblerone chocolate rose (valentine candy), capri sun drinks, 2 cans mandarins, 1/2 gal apple juice, 2 snack box wheat thins, baby food juice bottles, ritz snack cup, teddy graham snack cup, hostess donuts, 2 sobe drinks, 4 red bull, chicken in a bisket crackers, 11 jars baby food, case sierra mist, case of tropicana juice bottles, case bottled water, case apple juice, 8 jars baby food, prego spaghetti sauce, prime rib, new york steak, 2 totinos party pizzas, short ribs, package frozen burritos, box frozen fried chicken, cake mix, cookie mix, frosting.....

$246.00

funny, as a family we very, very rarely buy any of these types of items...(except the mandarins and spaghetti sauce)

Juli

Terry Britton
01-14-2010, 01:44 PM
With a little one or two, I can see with limited $$$:

capri sun drinks, 2 cans mandarins, 2 1/2 gal apple juice, 2 snack box wheat thins, baby food juice bottles, ritz snack cup, teddy graham snack cup,11 jars baby food, case of tropicana juice bottles, case bottled water (depends if it is infant chlorine free water for mixing with formula for newborns), case apple juice, 8 jars baby food, prego spaghetti sauce, 2 totinos party pizzas (WOW - very cheap selection in pizza), package frozen burritos, cake mix, frosting.

But not:

case jerky individual snack packs, case tim's potato chip variety snack pack, 12 pk pepsi, case pepperidge farm crackers snack pack, toblerone chocolate rose (valentine candy), capri sun drinks, hostess donuts, 2 sobe drinks, 4 red bull, chicken in a bisket crackers, , case sierra mist, case bottled water, prime rib, new york steak, short ribs, package frozen burritos, box frozen fried chicken, cookie mix (make from scratch)

Geeze, drink water from tap rather than pop or expensive Sobe drinks.

Juli H
01-14-2010, 02:10 PM
Really? I would not buy juice drinks...juice is not really that healthy...not much better than soda, really....I'd take the money (near $72) from all the drinks and buy $20 worth of fozen concentrate...then use the other $52 to buy some fresh produce...

I'd take the $75 worth of junk food (crackers, donuts, chips, jerky) and put that toward other healthy foods that actually have some nutrition.....some lean burger, frozen chicken (raw), fish, eggs, beans, etc.....

did anyone notice there is not a single fresh produce item?

Juli

ducknwork
01-14-2010, 02:19 PM
Did you tell them 'You're welcome' when they handed you the card to pay?

I know some of you (ahem, Dave) have received assistance in the past and defend it based on your experience, but this is NOT what it is for and shouldn't be allowed to use it for such. I would imagine that the majority of us can agree that this is the kind of food that we see in the cart when the person ahead of us in line is using that fancy dancy little American flag card. We should be reforming this BEFORE we reform healthcare...Healthcare reform won't be quite as necessary if these 'poor folks':rolleyes: ate a little better...

firehouselabs
01-14-2010, 03:50 PM
I don't know why it would be so hard to limit types of items bought like WIC does. No soft drinks, candy, potato chips, etc..... limit it to fresh fruit and veg., frozen fruit and veg. , meats, dairy, etc....

YardleyLabs
01-14-2010, 04:27 PM
I don't know why it would be so hard to limit types of items bought like WIC does. No soft drinks, candy, potato chips, etc..... limit it to fresh fruit and veg., frozen fruit and veg. , meats, dairy, etc....
There is an irony in your post. Until late 2007 you were not permitted to buy either fresh fruit or fresh vegetables using WIC. They were finally included over the opposition of the processed foods industry. Nothing limits the amount of unhealthy processed foods purchased using food stamps for the simple reason that unhealthy processed foods are the primary source of profits for the food processing industry.:rolleyes: Processed foods are the primary product advertised to children. Is it any surprise to finds those same products dominating the grocery carts of our least sophisticated shoppers?

Terry Britton
01-14-2010, 05:04 PM
The reason for the juice boxes is that if you are using an assisted childcare arrangement like the YMCA or some daycares, or even a Church Mother's Day Out, you have to provide the lil ones lunch and drink. They almost always prefer that you send juice boxes and some pre-packaged meals.

But I am also assuming that some people work and still need assistance like I do see here in Oklahoma.

DSemple
01-14-2010, 05:50 PM
There is an irony in your post. Until late 2007 you were not permitted to buy either fresh fruit or fresh vegetables using WIC. They were finally included over the opposition of the processed foods industry. Nothing limits the amount of unhealthy processed foods purchased using food stamps for the simple reason that unhealthy processed foods are the primary source of profits for the food processing industry.:rolleyes: Processed foods are the primary product advertised to children. Is it any surprise to finds those same products dominating the grocery carts of our least sophisticated shoppers?

Jeff, it's shopping for god sake not rocket science. How many times are you going to use the "victims of society excuse" for just plain old lazy irresponsible behavior?

I see this particular shopper was smart enough to buy Prime Rib and New York Strip Steak with her food stamps.

Don Semple

luvmylabs23139
01-14-2010, 06:07 PM
The only thing on the list that is a norm on our grocery list is the 1/2gallon of apple juice. I'm allergic to oranges and drink apple with vitamin C everyday.
Let's just say we have a decent income and I am a a stay at home dog mom these days.
It does not make any sense for me to work. I would just work for the gov't theft of our money. We have run the numbers and came up with a loss if we included doggy daycare for the 2 youngest.

Terry Britton
01-14-2010, 06:17 PM
The thing that really stands out to me on that list is Tonitos pizzas that range in price from 89 cents to $1.25 each. My first year in college, I caught them on sale for 25 cents each in the spring of 1989 and bought a freezer full. I had pizza for breakfast, lunch and dinner for 3 months straight.

luvmylabs23139
01-14-2010, 07:27 PM
The reason for the juice boxes is that if you are using an assisted childcare arrangement like the YMCA or some daycares, or even a Church Mother's Day Out, you have to provide the lil ones lunch and drink. They almost always prefer that you send juice boxes and some pre-packaged meals.

But I am also assuming that some people work and still need assistance like I do see here in Oklahoma.

WHY should the taxpayer pay for someone else's kids????

Keep your legs closed if you can't pay for them.
I"M tired of paying for other people's kids!!!!!

It is not my problem and they have no right to my hard earned money. I do not care if it sounds harsh to liberals.

Juli H
01-14-2010, 09:18 PM
Terry, there are no day care facilities here....most of the people on f/s are unemployed and stay home....that is how they like it.....just today I had another $90 f/s sale that was 100% JUNK...soda, candy, chips....

I don't remember having bottled juices when I was in school...I do not even remember taking anything to drink with my lunch... I used the water fountain.

Juli

BrianW
01-15-2010, 10:46 AM
Until late 2007 you were not permitted to buy either fresh fruit or fresh vegetables using WIC. They were finally included over the opposition of the processed foods industry.

So you're saying that PGB actually did something positive for "disadvantaged victims of social injustice" and against the profit interests of big business?
Wow! I'm going to have to mark this day on my calendar! ;)

It does not make any sense for me to work. I would just work for the gov't theft of our money. We have run the numbers and came up with a loss if we included doggy daycare for the 2 youngest.
As long as you're not taking government assistance to support your choice, that's fine.
The problem is when folks decide that they would rather rather do the 'easy thing' than the "right (as in 'correct' imo) thing".
I could sit at home and make more money on unemployment/food stamps rather than driving to work and doing my low paying part time job, which is all I can find for now, but I'm not. I'm out there trying to be a productive member of society rather than a parasite. This is not looking for recognition or a pat on the back, it's just a statement of what is, in my life right now. There are far too many that are doing the opposite and would even say that I'm stupid for doing what I do. I'd rather be "underemployed" than "un".
But if I decide to buy "chicken biskit" crackers or some other junk, it's on my dime, not yours

Juli H
01-15-2010, 11:30 AM
Did anyone watch Glenn Beck last night? He had an open discussion with several African Americans about how the last 50 yrs of 'welfare' has hurt, more than helped them (and indeed not just African Americans, but all people who have become dependent and have an 'entitlement' attitude)....It was very interesting and good to see African Americans believe that you don't encourage prosperity by giving so many hand outs as to meet the needs of people....People of any race will take the easiest road they can...If they can get by without having to get a job (or heck, even two jobs) then they will....

I'm all for helping a family truly in need...but only for a limited amount of time, and only if they REALLY need it.

Juli

Hoosier
01-15-2010, 01:10 PM
Did anyone watch Glenn Beck last night? He had an open discussion with several African Americans about how the last 50 yrs of 'welfare' has hurt, more than helped them (and indeed not just African Americans, but all people who have become dependent and have an 'entitlement' attitude)....It was very interesting and good to see African Americans believe that you don't encourage prosperity by giving so many hand outs as to meet the needs of people....People of any race will take the easiest road they can...If they can get by without having to get a job (or heck, even two jobs) then they will....

I'm all for helping a family truly in need...but only for a limited amount of time, and only if they REALLY need it.

Juli

I agree with this 100%. I also agree with a post Dave had a while back, about how we view entitlements being the main difference between the left and right.

I have seen what you described in your post first hand, in my own extended family. Most of us grew up well below the poverty line, and most on some sort of government assistance. I have around 35 first cousins, about half of which have continued to be dependent on government assistance in their adult life; with the other half being self supporting hard working people.

There are glaring differences between the ones who support themselves and the dependent on assistance. The thing that stands out the most to me is how comfortable they get with taking charity, sometimes to the point of demanding it, and holding grudges if turned down. The next thing is money management. This is one example and I could give you a thousand of them. One of my uncles stopped by my moms house when I was visiting the last time to barrow some money. He gave a sob story about being broke, and needing to buy some food. Mom loaned him $50. He was walking so I offered a ride. He asked if I would swing by the store, so I did and he came out with a carton of smokes. Then he asked me to run him through the drive through at McDonald's, so I did. He spent every penny he had borrowed, plus a little more in those two stops, and his family got one meal out of it. When I said something about it, he got mad at me saying something to the effect of "well I gonna pay it back, so it's none of you business how I spend it". The last thing is work ethic. These people will not hold down a job. I believe the reason for this is there isn't enough of a difference in their standard of living when they are working and when they are not working, to be an insensitive to get up and go. This lack of insensitive has resulted in not sticking with a job long enough to develop a good work history, and the job skills to get a better paying job. They know they have the system to fall back on, and when the welfare runs out everyone of them applies for and receives SSI benefits. Should I mention the victim mentality of these people?

On the other hand the family members who have decided that work was the better route have done very well for themselves, and I believe most of them are to the right of me politically.

Once someone becomes comfortable with being poor, there is nothing anyone can do to help them out.

badbullgator
01-15-2010, 01:32 PM

But then the problem with WIC is that while it limits what you can buy with the WIC money, it does not mean that they are spending their money wisely. Last evening I saw a WIC user in line. They had their WIC stuff in one pile and "their" stuff in another. WIC stuff mike, eggs, cheese....
Their stuff...a 18 of MGD, a can of Skoal, three steaks, and a slab of ribs along with other stuff that was pretty normal for a family that has limited income (Mac and cheese, rice....). Now my problem is that if you can afford afford an 18 pack of beer, dip, steaks, and ribs, you don't need my money to buy milk, eggs, cheese...for your kids. The steaks alone would have paid for milk, eggs and cheese with money left over for a nice hamburger dinner.
I put myself through school and had a young child at the same time. I ate a lot of hamburger and cheap chicken and mac and cheese. The only time I had steak would be if my parents or someone took us out to dinner. What I did do during that time is pay for my childs food, medicine, clothes.... Other than her grandparents buying her things we took NO help form anyone. Damn I was stupid, I could have been getting WIC and FS and eating steak all the time.....

T. Mac
01-18-2010, 09:03 PM
Interesting article on food stamp usage in the local paper this morning!

http://www.sacbee.com/topstories/story/2469429.html

T. Mac