PDA

View Full Version : Danny Glover blames quake on Global Warming

david gibson
01-15-2010, 10:10 AM
funny how Pat Robertson got lots of attention, how much is the liberal publicizing this preposterous statement?

http://blogs.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/timblair/index.php/dailytelegraph/comments/pact_with_gaia/

road kill
01-15-2010, 10:11 AM
funny how Pat Robertson got lots of attention, how much is the liberal publicizing this preposterous statement?

http://blogs.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/timblair/index.php/dailytelegraph/comments/pact_with_gaia/

His credentials??
(I mean other than he agrees with Al Gore)

rk

dnf777
01-15-2010, 10:19 AM

Surely you're not holding Danny Glover up to the standards of a geologist or climatologist, or anybody who knows anything except how to pretend to be someone else in front of a camera? Didn't mean to call you Shirley.

YardleyLabs
01-15-2010, 10:32 AM

In the segment broadcast in your link, he does NOT say that the earthquake is in any way related to global warming. What he does say is that this magnitude of disaster is what we will see more of in island nations with global warming. If forecasts concerning sea levels are correct, he is justified. Whole island nations in the Pacific and Caribbean are at risk of massive flooding and some are expected to become completely uninhabitable.

david gibson
01-15-2010, 10:33 AM
Surely you're not holding Danny Glover up to the standards of a geologist or climatologist, or anybody who knows anything except how to pretend to be someone else in front of a camera? Didn't mean to call you Shirley.

no I am not, but there are many mindless liberals that listen to the hollywood types. my point is he has no more clout than Pat Robertson, although i would say a curse on Haiti is far more likely to be the cause of the earthquake than Global Warming is. ;-)

dnf777
01-15-2010, 11:05 AM
no I am not, but there are many mindless liberals that listen to the hollywood types. my point is he has no more clout than Pat Robertson, although i would say a curse on Haiti is far more likely to be the cause of the earthquake than Global Warming is. ;-)

Now there's something I'll back you 100% on! Danny Glover has NOWHERE NEAR THE CLOUT that Pat Roberston has! He does not command a media empire and hundreds of thousands of loyal followers. He made a few decent movies as far as I know.

subroc
01-15-2010, 11:07 AM
Same thing really. One appeals to some segment of conservatism. The other appeals to some segment of extreme left wing radicals.

david gibson
01-15-2010, 11:20 AM
In the segment broadcast in your link, he does NOT say that the earthquake is in any way related to global warming. What he does say is that this magnitude of disaster is what we will see more of in island nations with global warming. If forecasts concerning sea levels are correct, he is justified. Whole island nations in the Pacific and Caribbean are at risk of massive flooding and some are expected to become completely uninhabitable.

oh yes he does, listen again.

YardleyLabs
01-15-2010, 12:37 PM
oh yes he does, listen again.
I did and he doesn't. As best I can transcribe it, Glover says beginning at about 1:48 is:

"I hope we seize this particular moment because the threat that happens to Haiti is a threat that can happen anywhere in the Carribbean to these island nations. They are all in peril because of global warming. They are all in peril because of climate change, and all of this."

That is an accurate statement and does not in any way suggest that Glover is saying that an earthquake is caused by global warming notwithstanding the comment by the poster.

badbullgator
01-15-2010, 01:21 PM
The sky is falling, the sky is falling (or we will all be under water soon)

http://forums.floridasportsman.com/sites/all/modules/smileys/packs/IMOsmiley/nilly.gifhttp://forums.floridasportsman.com/sites/all/modules/smileys/packs/IMOsmiley/nilly.gifhttp://forums.floridasportsman.com/sites/all/modules/smileys/packs/IMOsmiley/nilly.gif

Really Jeff you buy that islands will soon be under water? I hope so then they can stop spending my local tax money to dredge out the passes that keep filling up

YardleyLabs
01-15-2010, 02:22 PM

http://forums.floridasportsman.com/sites/all/modules/smileys/packs/IMOsmiley/nilly.gifhttp://forums.floridasportsman.com/sites/all/modules/smileys/packs/IMOsmiley/nilly.gifhttp://forums.floridasportsman.com/sites/all/modules/smileys/packs/IMOsmiley/nilly.gif

Really Jeff you buy that islands will soon be under water? I hope so then they can stop spending my local tax money to dredge out the passes that keep filling up
Actually, I was only really arguing that Glover never said an earthquake was caused by global warming -- the charge leveled against him. The models projecting a rise in ocean water levels that will threaten low lying areas have fairly broad scientific support. Even most "deniers" accept those projections and only argue about whether this is either man-caused or man preventable. Glover's point in the interview appeared to be that we wll be seeing many more major natural disasters in low lying areas (including Florida and my own little part of PA:rolleyes:) and should be getting our acts together to address these effectively as they happen.

Hew
01-15-2010, 05:30 PM
I did and he doesn't. As best I can transcribe it, Glover says beginning at about 1:48 is:

"I hope we seize this particular moment because the threat that happens to Haiti is a threat that can happen anywhere in the Carribbean to these island nations. They are all in peril because of global warming. They are all in peril because of climate change, and all of this."

That is an accurate statement and does not in any way suggest that Glover is saying that an earthquake is caused by global warming notwithstanding the comment by the poster.
Gee, I wonder why why you stopped your transcipt where you did. The very next sentence he says, "When we did what we did at the climate summit in Copenhagen, this is the response, this is what happens, you know what I'ma sayin'." Unless you want to give us your best Clinton impersonation and contend the meaning of "this" isn't the earthquake then it sounds to me like he blames the earthquake on global warming, or even dumber, that the earthquake is some sort of karmic revenge taken by earth against Haiti.

K.Bullock
01-15-2010, 05:44 PM

I am already sizing up ocean front property up here in the Appalachian foothills, you could be the first to buy a "soon to be beach front" condo. I wonder if Gore would be interested in buying in.

YardleyLabs
01-15-2010, 05:51 PM
Gee, I wonder why why you stopped your transcipt where you did. The very next sentence he says, "When we did what we did at the climate summit in Copenhagen, this is the response, this is what happens, you know what I'ma sayin'." Unless you want to give us your best Clinton impersonation and contend the meaning of "this" isn't the earthquake then it sounds to me like he blames the earthquake on global warming, or even dumber, that the earthquake is some sort of karmic revenge taken by earth against Haiti.
I stopped because i thought it was obvious that his comments referred to the immediately preceding statements: "They are all in peril because of global warming. They are all in peril because of climate change..."

Gerry Clinchy
01-16-2010, 11:00 AM
Whole island nations in the Pacific and Caribbean are at risk of massive flooding and some are expected to become completely uninhabitable.

I'm thinking that similar situations have occurred in the history of the world, i.e. civilizations were "moved" due to natural changes ... even before the Industrial Age. Unless we're assuming that these predicted changes will occur within a 3-wk period, I'd guess that the populations would gradually migrate to more habitable locations.

Uncle Bill
01-16-2010, 03:13 PM
Actually, I was only really arguing that Glover never said an earthquake was caused by global warming -- the charge leveled against him. The models projecting a rise in ocean water levels that will threaten low lying areas have fairly broad scientific support. Even most "deniers" accept those projections and only argue about whether this is either man-caused or man preventable. Glover's point in the interview appeared to be that we wll be seeing many more major natural disasters in low lying areas (including Florida and my own little part of PA:rolleyes:) and should be getting our acts together to address these effectively as they happen.

Why do you, a self proclaimed educated individual, buy into what a blithering idiot like Danny Glover is ranting about? Are you so blinded by your Democrat ties that you can't understand the hoax that the Algore crowd is foisting on the people of this nation?

Please explain how a belief in that "carbon credit" malarky, even if it gets passed and put into practice, lowers the man-made emissions at all? Did the practice of selling indulgences lower the amount of sin by the wealthy?

Even if I believed in this farce like you apparently do, I would at least have some questions as to the validity of the 'fix' for this impending disaster.

Are you part of the Danny Glover herd of sheeple that continues to believe if only we could get China and those other polluters on board, and reverse all that carbon being spewed into the ozone, it will save the islands in the oceans?

Only imbeciles and atheists can be bamboozled into that belief.

UB

Evan
01-16-2010, 03:39 PM
Surely you're not holding Danny Glover up to the standards of a geologist or climatologist, or anybody who knows anything except how to pretend to be someone else in front of a camera? Didn't mean to call you Shirley.No, and I don't give Al Gore that kind of credibility either.

Evan

Sabireley
01-16-2010, 04:06 PM
No, and I don't give Al Gore that kind of credibility either.

Evan

Well, Al thinks the earth's core is several million degrees. (Conan O'brien interview)
I wonder if he is off by orders of magnitude with all of the other numbers he uses to make is case?

road kill
01-16-2010, 04:19 PM

Evan
In the arena of cred...Al Gore and Glover are equals!!!

rk

dnf777
01-16-2010, 04:40 PM

Evan

That's my point Evan. Using Al Gore to discredit climatology is like using Larry Craig to discredit all republicans. They are tapping toes to their own tunes, but that does not undermine the good work of others in the same pursuits.

YardleyLabs
01-16-2010, 04:47 PM
Why do you, a self proclaimed educated individual, buy into what a blithering idiot like Danny Glover is ranting about? Are you so blinded by your Democrat ties that you can't understand the hoax that the Algore crowd is foisting on the people of this nation?

Please explain how a belief in that "carbon credit" malarky, even if it gets passed and put into practice, lowers the man-made emissions at all? Did the practice of selling indulgences lower the amount of sin by the wealthy?

Even if I believed in this farce like you apparently do, I would at least have some questions as to the validity of the 'fix' for this impending disaster.

Are you part of the Danny Glover herd of sheeple that continues to believe if only we could get China and those other polluters on board, and reverse all that carbon being spewed into the ozone, it will save the islands in the oceans?

Only imbeciles and atheists can be bamboozled into that belief.

UB
If you read my posts you will see that I never bought into anything said by Danny Glover or Al Gore. I did point out that the assertion made in the link provided in the original post was factually inaccurate, but I know that has never been your big concern.

This whole thread began with an assertion that Glover was blaming the Haiti earthquake on global warming. That assertion is factually incorrect. I also pointed out that Glover's assertion that many island nations are threatened by global warming -- something he did say -- is supported by a rather large number of scientists, including most deniers. The issue of dispute is not whether or not seas are rising, but whether or not that is caused by man as opposed to a natural cycle. If you are the one facing the rising waters, the cause doesn't really matter.

With respect to the rest of your rant, I am glad to see that you remain as compassionate and open to reason as always.

Steve Hester
01-16-2010, 07:50 PM
In the arena of cred...Al Gore and Glover are equals!!!

rk

That may just be a big insult to Danny Glover.......:p

Al Gore is dumber than a box of rocks.