PDA

View Full Version : Paying for the New York Times online

subroc
01-18-2010, 04:21 PM
I get my online political news in a few places that are for the most part links pages:

The Drudge Report: for the most part conservative leaning.

Real Clear Politics: a balanced page that generally has a couple or 4 articles about a given subject with one each coming from each side of an issue.

Yahoo news: which is left leaning.

Various blogs.

Drudge and RealClear when linking to left leaning news routinely link to New York Times articles. Now, the NYT is about to charge for news.

With the state of the internet, will you be willing to pay for NYT version or interpretation of left leaning stories or will you find a free alternative?

Is this a wise move?

http://nymag.com/daily/intel/2010/01/new_york_times_set_to_mimic_ws.html (http://nymag.com/daily/intel/2010/01/new_york_times_set_to_mimic_ws.html)

dnf777
01-18-2010, 04:34 PM
No matter your leaning, I think we're going to find more and more news outlets going to online-subscriptions. At first, when there were choices, they baited us with free news, with advertising banners. Now as more and more paper venues are disappearing and we have fewer choices, they know they have their hooks in us. Even a web-forum for photography has gone to pay-service. Membership dropped off, but is recovering as there are fewer alternatives available. No reason to think this won't be the general trend.

subroc
01-18-2010, 05:08 PM
...Even a web-forum for photography has gone to pay-service...

which one? and what do they offer that many of the free forums like DPR and photography on the net don't offer.

dnf777
01-18-2010, 07:23 PM
which one? and what do they offer that many of the free forums like DPR and photography on the net don't offer.

Nikonians.org

I generally don't like paying for such forums, but I've already recouped my fee in software discounts they offer members on popular photo-editing programs. Good group of photographers, with excellent technical and artistic advice. Good gallery forums for critiquing, and excellent blogs.

Back to the thread topic...if anyone thinks online news is expensive now, or inappropriate, just wait until the last newspaper shuts down!