PDA

View Full Version : Republicans for more Taxes???

dnf777
01-20-2010, 06:18 AM
Here in Pa, our republican state legislators are pushing to make I-80 (one of two main E-W routes, and major vein between chicago and NYC) a toll road once again. If I'm not mistaken, we the people own that road, having already paid for it, and pay for maintenance. It will hurt working class people who commute or transport on that road on a daily basis.

It doesn't make sense to me, that republicans, who are supposedly for lower taxes and less gov't control, would support what is essentially an excise tax on OUR road.
Those of you in other states, who's federal tax dollars also pay for this road, should be even more upset, as Pa politicians will fill their troughs with money from taxing YOUR road as well.

Also, isn't that in effect a state legislating interstate commerce? What if EVERY state thinks it can tax their portion of the interstate highway system? The old family vacation could get unaffordable really quick.

huntinman
01-20-2010, 07:00 AM
Here in Pa, our republican state legislators are pushing to make I-80 (one of two main E-W routes, and major vein between chicago and NYC) a toll road once again. If I'm not mistaken, we the people own that road, having already paid for it, and pay for maintenance. It will hurt working class people who commute or transport on that road on a daily basis.

It doesn't make sense to me, that republicans, who are supposedly for lower taxes and less gov't control, would support what is essentially an excise tax on OUR road.
Those of you in other states, who's federal tax dollars also pay for this road, should be even more upset, as Pa politicians will fill their troughs with money from taxing YOUR road as well.

Also, isn't that in effect a state legislating interstate commerce? What if EVERY state thinks it can tax their portion of the interstate highway system? The old family vacation could get unaffordable really quick.

Most Republicans in PA are about like a Dem anywhere else. Remember Specter? Some of them should be waking up about now...

Hew
01-20-2010, 07:33 AM
I know you'd like to change the subject from Scott Brown to some ginned-up anti-GOP screed, but I'm having a hard time seeing how you can lay road tolls (that haven't even occured yet) in PA republican's laps. Here's the google search results...maybe you can find an article in there that supports your claim. I couldn't:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=republicans+pennsylvania+toll+i80

A quick perusal of those some of those articles found where the PA GOP is touting the opposition of the toll road by a PA US Congressman. I found where the tolls were proposed by Dem. Fast Eddie Rendell and the PATurnpike Commission (commisioners appointed by Dem. Rendell). I found that the opposition is bi-partisan in rural PA. I found that the Bush Admin. Transportation Dept. had already rejected the toll request twice, and that Dem. Gov. Rendell is shooting for a third time. So please educate me why/how this is a GOP issue?

dnf777
01-20-2010, 09:08 AM
[QUOTE=Hew;553878]I know you'd like to change the subject from Scott Brown to some ginned-up anti-GOP screed,

You obviously would rather attack me than read anything I've written about the Mass race! surprise surprise But back in reality-land, I have NO problem with the democratic process playing itself out. And as I've said last week, I'm actually glad he's ahead, and now won. Sorry to deflate your attack mode, it just doesn't hold water in this case.

Hew
01-20-2010, 09:37 AM
[quote=Hew;553878]I know you'd like to change the subject from Scott Brown to some ginned-up anti-GOP screed,

You obviously would rather attack me than read anything I've written about the Mass race! surprise surprise But back in reality-land, I have NO problem with the democratic process playing itself out. And as I've said last week, I'm actually glad he's ahead, and now won. Sorry to deflate your attack mode, it just doesn't hold water in this case.
No, I read all 437 of your posts in the last 3 days about the Mass election. I just found it curious that after all that postin' that one day after the Mass election you'd rather talk about alleged republican hypocrisy in PA instead of the ramifications of MA. That little bit of curiosity aside...

Can you address why you think the I-80 toll issue (or non-issue, really, since it will probably be rejected like the other two requests) falls in the laps of the PA GOP?

david gibson
01-20-2010, 09:41 AM
ask the okies - reddest of red states and they have toll roads out the wazoo.....

Pals
01-20-2010, 09:44 AM
[quote=dnf777;553878] And as I've said last week, I'm actually glad he's ahead, and now won.

:confused: I can't hardly follow you Dave, makes me dizzy.

When you spend your life riding the fence, in the end all you have to show for it is arse full of splinters.

cheers-

dnf777
01-20-2010, 09:46 AM
[quote=dnf777;553918]
No, I read all 437 of your posts in the last 3 days about the Mass election. Can you address why you think the I-80 toll issue (or non-issue, really, since it will probably be rejected like the other two requests) falls in the laps of the PA GOP?

Jeez,
I'm flattered!
Congrats on your Mass victory, by the way. I hope your man there lives up to his words of being for the people, and not lobbyists and corporations. Only time will tell. If he does, maybe 2012 is too early, but he will be a presidential contender someday soon.

As for the I-80 issue, it was on two local news stations, one of which is affiliated with the Scaife network family, hardly a liberal pillar. It was reported that a panel of republican lawmakers in Harrisburg were revisiting the issue to generate state revenues. If I find a print version, I will post.

duckheads
01-20-2010, 10:06 AM
When you spend your life riding the fence, in the end all you have to show for it is arse full of splinters.

I see a new sig line there. I don't care who you are that's funny!

Hew
01-20-2010, 10:07 AM
As for the I-80 issue, it was on two local news stations, one of which is affiliated with the Scaife network family, hardly a liberal pillar. It was reported that a panel of republican lawmakers in Harrisburg were revisiting the issue to generate state revenues. If I find a print version, I will post.
Gee, I would have thought you'd be very familiar with the story and have your ducks in a row since you thought it was so important that you'd start your own thread about it and tell us that we should be upset at those hypocritical republicans. I guess that's just me, though.

BTW, I don't know what those gop lawmakers could supposedly be revisiting as Democrat Gov. Rendell's request to charge tolls is sitting on Transportation Secretary LaHood's desk at this very moment awaiting his decision.

dnf777
01-20-2010, 12:27 PM
[quote=dnf777;553918]

:confused: I can't hardly follow you Dave, makes me dizzy.

cheers-

I am on one side of the fence on some issues and candidates, and the other with some. My fence has a hot wire across the top, so there ain't no fence sittin' with me!

No offense intended, but most seem to be very party-loyal ideologues here, so I would not expect much understanding for an independent here.

If you have anyway of reconciling a pro-choice, NRA-lifer position, please let me know! If I want a candidate who supports my positions on major issues, I would have to run myself, and I'd rather pull splinters than be a politician!;-)

Gerry Clinchy
01-20-2010, 01:33 PM
I find it easier to justify paying tolls for the use of a road, than some of the other things govt would like us to pay for :-)

In many cases, there is an option to using the toll road, and one might even find the family vacation more interesting by doing so.

Hew
01-20-2010, 05:12 PM
Hmmmm....

The PA bill to convert I-80 to a toll road was passed in 2007.

It originated in the PA House. The Democrats in the PA House had a slim majority.

It was co-sponsered by four PA state representatives. All Democrats.

All but one of the 100 (+/-) Democrats in the House voted for making it a toll road.

All but four of the 100 (+/-) Republicans voted against making it a toll road.

The bill was signed by Democrat Gov. Ed Rendell.

After passage of the bill, the Democrat administration of Rendell requested that the Republican administration running the US Transportation Dept. approve the tolls. The request was denied. Twice.

Now, with a Democratic administration running the US Transportation Dept., the Democratic administration of Gov. Rendell has asked a third time for the state to collect tolls on I-80.

Now tell us again, DNF, why you claim the GOP is trying to ram tolls down the poor people of Pennsylvania's throats.

dnf777
01-20-2010, 05:31 PM
Now tell us again, DNF, why you claim the GOP is trying to ram tolls down the poor people of Pennsylvania's throats.

WPXI and WTAE reported a delegation of republican state representatives was headed to Washington to inquire about ways to reconsider tolling I-80. Fortunately, there is not much support, at least from local reps, including GT Thompson, our local republican.

Hoosier
01-20-2010, 05:43 PM
Hmmmm....

The PA bill to convert I-80 to a toll road was passed in 2007.

It originated in the PA House. The Democrats in the PA House had a slim majority.

It was co-sponsered by four PA state representatives. All Democrats.

All but one of the 100 (+/-) Democrats in the House voted for making it a toll road.

All but four of the 100 (+/-) Republicans voted against making it a toll road.

The bill was signed by Democrat Gov. Ed Rendell.

After passage of the bill, the Democrat administration of Rendell requested that the Republican administration running the US Transportation Dept. approve the tolls. The request was denied. Twice.

Now, with a Democratic administration running the US Transportation Dept., the Democratic administration of Gov. Rendell has asked a third time for the state to collect tolls on I-80.

Ouch!!!!!!

Hew
01-20-2010, 05:50 PM
WPXI and WTAE reported a delegation of republican state representatives was headed to Washington to inquire about ways to reconsider tolling I-80. Fortunately, there is not much support, at least from local reps, including GT Thompson, our local republican.
You sure? Here's everything WTAE has reported on with the word "toll" in it: http://www.wpxi.com/search/form.html?searchType=site&cx=partner-pub-6068200365010040%3A6uskt3qfbjw&cof=FORID%3A9&ie=ISO-8859-1&qt=toll&stories=on&video=on

And here's WPXI's stories with the word "toll": http://www.thepittsburghchannel.com/search/form.html?la=en&stories=on&video=on&client=pub-1569153127812452&forid=1&channel=3092933951&ie=ISO-8859-1&oe=ISO-8859-1&hl=en&cof=GALT%3A%23000000%3BGL%3A1%3BDIV%3A%23336699%3B VLC%3A000000%3BAH%3Acenter%3BBGC%3AFFFFFF%3BLBGC%3 A336699%3BALC%3A0000FF%3BLC%3A0000FF%3BT%3A000000% 3BGFNT%3A000000%3BGIMP%3A000000%3BFORID%3A11&sitesearch=thepittsburghchannel.com&mkt=&heading=&qt=toll

No mention of GOP delegations sent to DC. Does that even make sense, btw? How big of a "delegation" could you send when hardly any Republicans voted for it in the first place? And why would the state send Republicans to beg for approval from a Democrat US Transportation Dept.?

dnf777
01-20-2010, 06:22 PM
You sure? Here's everything WTAE has reported on with the word "toll" in it: http://www.wpxi.com/search/form.html?searchType=site&cx=partner-pub-6068200365010040%3A6uskt3qfbjw&cof=FORID%3A9&ie=ISO-8859-1&qt=toll&stories=on&video=on

And here's WPXI's stories with the word "toll": http://www.thepittsburghchannel.com/search/form.html?la=en&stories=on&video=on&client=pub-1569153127812452&forid=1&channel=3092933951&ie=ISO-8859-1&oe=ISO-8859-1&hl=en&cof=GALT%3A%23000000%3BGL%3A1%3BDIV%3A%23336699%3B VLC%3A000000%3BAH%3Acenter%3BBGC%3AFFFFFF%3BLBGC%3 A336699%3BALC%3A0000FF%3BLC%3A0000FF%3BT%3A000000% 3BGFNT%3A000000%3BGIMP%3A000000%3BFORID%3A11&sitesearch=thepittsburghchannel.com&mkt=&heading=&qt=toll

No mention of GOP delegations sent to DC. Does that even make sense, btw? How big of a "delegation" could you send when hardly any Republicans voted for it in the first place? And why would the state send Republicans to beg for approval from a Democrat US Transportation Dept.?

Don't ask me. I asked that in the first place. I must admit, I haven't seen much on this story today. I heard it before work and was wondering that myself. It certainly doesn't make sense to me.

dback
01-20-2010, 07:17 PM
"No, there's never been any, see, what they tell us are earthquakes are actually sonic booms caused by a project that's been funded by the U.S. government. You see, what they're doing is they're, they're creating a huge, ah, cavity, a tunnel if you will, right to the center of the Earth where they're gonna build a giant computer to control the planet's rotation."

(awkward pause)

"Can I, can I be the only one that's heard of this?"

Clavinism

Glad I'm on his 'Ignore' list :-) :-)

kjrice
01-20-2010, 08:34 PM
A lot of tolls are farmed out to a private party to maintain, which is a cost savings measure. Even after the money is spent on a new road, it takes x-dollars to maintain per year. One way or another you are going to pay for it.

Hew
01-20-2010, 11:49 PM
Don't ask me. I asked that in the first place. I must admit, I haven't seen much on this story today. I heard it before work and was wondering that myself. It certainly doesn't make sense to me.
My bad. All this time on this thread I thought you were making baseless accusations and here you were just trying to be an honest information broker in search of the truth. I'm glad I could be of service.

JDogger
01-21-2010, 01:11 AM
It's time to go to bed. I thought at first glance this thread was titled, "republicans for more texans."
I had a cold shiver...
JD

ducknwork
01-21-2010, 06:51 AM
"No, there's never been any, see, what they tell us are earthquakes are actually sonic booms caused by a project that's been funded by the U.S. government. You see, what they're doing is they're, they're creating a huge, ah, cavity, a tunnel if you will, right to the center of the Earth where they're gonna build a giant computer to control the planet's rotation."

(awkward pause)

"Can I, can I be the only one that's heard of this?"

Clavinism

Glad I'm on his 'Ignore' list :-) :-)

HUH? What am I missing?

It sounds like something Kanye West would say...:p

dback
01-21-2010, 09:34 AM
SOB ducknwork...I need some more sophisticated friends than all you PBR drinkers :-)

This is a Cliff Clavin line from 'Cheers' (Clavinism). I've been gigging Dave about sounding like Cliff on some of his posts (actually, if memory serves me correctly...HEW should get the credit) ie. 'Toll road fee' = Computer to control planets rotation........."Can I be the only one to have heard of this?"

Now damn it ducknwork...don't you dare make me feel reeeeeealy bad by telling me you're too young to have watched 'Cheers' :-) :-)

dnf777
01-21-2010, 09:40 AM
SOB ducknwork...I need some more sophisticated friends than all you PBR drinkers :-)

This is a Cliff Clavin line from 'Cheers' (Clavinism). I've been gigging Dave about sounding like Cliff on some of his posts ie. 'Toll road fee' = Computer to control planets rotation........."Can I be the only one to have heard of this?"

Now damn it ducknwork...don't you dare make me feel reeeeeealy bad by telling me you're too young to have watched 'Cheers' :-) :-)

Please tell me the 'planet rotation' was Cliff, and not me! Otherwise I need to start hiding the whiskey before I post!

I was wonder what the He!! you were talking about, with 'Calvinism', then finally I realized it was a "Clavinism"!

And you thought I ignored you......:D

ducknwork
01-21-2010, 09:40 AM

Uhhhhh....what's cheers?

Just kidding, I know what it is, but I am too young to have watched it.:cool: Isn't it time for you to take your centrum silver?;):D

K G
01-21-2010, 11:47 AM
Just kidding, I know what it is, but I am too young to have watched it.:cool: Isn't it time for you to take your centrum silver?;):D

Right after you finish your pablum....;-)

kg

ducknwork
01-21-2010, 11:50 AM
Right after you finish your pablum....;-)

kg

That's pretty good. Most people your age can't take both hands off of their walker long enough to type a sentence that long.:cool:

K G
01-21-2010, 12:01 PM
I'd say "few" rather than "most"....60 is the new 40.....:D

At least we're not scraping our knees trying to learn HOW to walk....;-)

kg

ducknwork
01-21-2010, 12:04 PM
At least when I fall, I don't break a hip...:D

K G
01-21-2010, 12:08 PM
At least when I fall, I don't break a hip...:D

Nor do I...milk is your friend! ;-)

kg

dnf777
01-21-2010, 12:45 PM
I'd say "few" rather than "most"....60 is the new 40.....:D

At least we're not scraping our knees trying to learn HOW to walk....;-)

kg

At least when we're scraping our knees, its not in front of Rush Limbaugh!

Oh, jeez...I should delete that. I mean, where Rush can see you, not literally in front of... :cool:

Hope nobody reading that has a dirty mind....you might get the wrong idea.:D

ducknwork
01-21-2010, 02:02 PM

kg

Breastmilk is best. Remember that...;)

BTW, something stinks. Is it your diaper or mine?

road kill
01-21-2010, 03:38 PM

kg

Not here.......

Lactose intolerant regards!!

rk

road kill
01-21-2010, 03:40 PM
At least when we're scraping our knees, its not in front of Rush Limbaugh!

Oh, jeez...I should delete that. I mean, where Rush can see you, not literally in front of... :cool:

Hope nobody reading that has a dirty mind....you might get the wrong idea.:D

Odd......I have never heard anyone state "I get warm tingly feelings up my legs when he speaks" about Rush, I have however heard Chris Matthews mention that about President Obama.

Grab a towell and wipe off regards.......:D

rk

K G
01-21-2010, 04:09 PM
Breastmilk is best. Remember that...;)

Wouldn't know....:eek:

BTW, something stinks. Is it your diaper or mine?

Not mine...;-)

kg

dnf777
01-21-2010, 05:38 PM
Odd......I have never heard anyone state "I get warm tingly feelings up my legs when he speaks" about Rush, I have however heard Chris Matthews mention that about President Obama.

Grab a towell and wipe off regards.......:D

rk

I'm willing to drop this if you are! :)

ducknwork
01-21-2010, 09:20 PM
This is going downhill quick...:p