PDA

View Full Version : So whats the deal with pickup trucks?

achiro
01-21-2010, 09:16 AM
Heard a small blurb yesterday but didn't hear the speach I guess?

ducknwork
01-21-2010, 09:42 AM
They will be banned forever starting in 2013 under Obama's new energy conservation legislation. What a bunch of baloney.:-x

Pals
01-21-2010, 10:04 AM
Seriously??? :mad:

How can they do that? Tell people what they can and can't drive.......cripes my letter writing campaign will never end with these morons in charge.

ducknwork
01-21-2010, 11:57 AM
The report I read said that starting in late 2011, production of trucks will be phased out so that by a certain date in 2013, they will no longer be produced at all. It has something to do with gas mileage and the fact that trucks aren't selling all that well anyway. Once your current truck dies or you want to trade it in on another, there will be no trucks to choose from and those that are traded in will have that stuff poured in the engine like they did during cash for clunkers (we all know what a debacle that was:-x). Of course, you haven't heard anything about it from the left wing media:rolleyes:, but what do you expect from a bunch of goobers that are in Obama's pocket?

Not enough mad smileys on the entire internet regards,:-x:-x:-x

achiro
01-21-2010, 12:04 PM
Not at all what you are talking about. I did find this video explaining it. Doesn't seem like near as big a deal as folks were making it out to be.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jepAO74hP5I

paul young
01-21-2010, 12:31 PM
there is no way a bill such as the one you are suggesting has been proposed would even get out of committee, let alone to the floor for a vote......

where does this crap come from?

PASS THE HOOKAH......-Paul

dnf777
01-21-2010, 12:41 PM
Hew, Dback??????

where are the reference police when ridiculous claims like this are made????

Oh, just when democrats of independents say something is it questioned. I got it.

oh, BTW, if detroit can't sell enough trucks to make a profit, and big business decides to quit making them, isn't that free-market at work?

I think this is more anti-obama fantasy stories, myself. Too bad nobody is policing the credibility of this claim. :rolleyes:

K G
01-21-2010, 01:14 PM
They will be banned forever starting in 2013 under Obama's new energy conservation legislation. What a bunch of baloney.

The report I read said that starting in late 2011, production of trucks will be phased out so that by a certain date in 2013, they will no longer be produced at all. It has something to do with gas mileage and the fact that trucks aren't selling all that well anyway. Once your current truck dies or you want to trade it in on another, there will be no trucks to choose from and those that are traded in will have that stuff poured in the engine like they did during cash for clunkers (we all know what a debacle that was:-x). Of course, you haven't heard anything about it from the left wing media:rolleyes:, but what do you expect from a bunch of goobers that are in Obama's pocket?

there is no way a bill such as the one you are suggesting has been proposed would even get out of committee, let alone to the floor for a vote......

where does this crap come from?

PASS THE HOOKAH......-Paul

Well said, Paul...;-)

kg

M&K's Retrievers
01-21-2010, 01:21 PM
Hew, Dback??????

where are the reference police when ridiculous claims like this are made????

Oh, just when democrats of independents say something is it questioned. I got it.

oh, BTW, if detroit can't sell enough trucks to make a profit, and big business decides to quit making them, isn't that free-market at work?

I think this is more anti-obama fantasy stories, myself. Too bad nobody is policing the credibility of this claim. :rolleyes:

Some things don't deserve comment.:razz: Not your post. The truck rumor

dback
01-21-2010, 01:26 PM
Hew, Dback??????where are the reference police when ridiculous claims like this are made????

Now, now...just cause I've been giving you a hard time with 'Clavinisms' doesn't mean I'm the 'reference police' Besides Achiro provided a link to what he thought they were talking about. IF...and I emphasize 'if' that were ever to happen....Obama would be president forever cause all of 'fly over' America would secede leaving him with all the 'sheeple' to keep him there. ;-)

By the way...off topic...where the hells Jeff, I'm starting to worry about him....one could easily penetrate a Cosmopolitan Magazine with a knife and hit a femoral artery :-) :-)

BonMallari
01-21-2010, 01:29 PM
Russ, the truck comment came from BHO when he was campaigning and making fun of the fact that Scott Brown drives around in a PU truck...Brown in his acceptance speech said something to the effect " I am Scott Brown...and I drive a truck "

Franco
01-21-2010, 01:47 PM
Don't forget that back in 1993 when GM was on the verge of bankrupcy, the only profitable model they had at the time was the 1500 pickup truck.

If the domestics were to stop making pickups, they wouldn't last one year!

ducknwork
01-21-2010, 02:01 PM
You guys suck. I was hoping there would be at least one gullible one in the bunch.;)

Really bored and NOW really disappointed as well regards,

Buzz
01-21-2010, 02:04 PM
You guys act like Liberals don't drive trucks.

I think the idea that driving a truck makes you a man of the people a little comical. I remember driving to work in Cincinnati back in the 90's. More than half the trucks on I-75 South had women driving them. In fact, the car companies started making nice interiors on trucks to appeal to the women that were buying puck-ups.

BonMallari
01-21-2010, 02:27 PM

I think the idea that driving a truck makes you a man of the people a little comical. I remember driving to work in Cincinnati back in the 90's. More than half the trucks on I-75 South had women driving them. In fact, the car companies started making nice interiors on trucks to appeal to the women that were buying puck-ups.

it was the Pres that made the snickering jab at those that drive PU...besides we all know liberals drive Subarus and Volvos :p:p

badbullgator
01-21-2010, 05:44 PM

I never said that but they do own cats and stay at Holiday Inn Express

Buzz
01-21-2010, 07:09 PM

now that's funny...

:-P

subroc
01-21-2010, 07:23 PM
They will be banned forever starting in 2013 under Obama's new energy conservation legislation. What a bunch of baloney.:-x

Some day some will search for and find a sense of humor... :D

dnf777
01-21-2010, 08:59 PM

Boy, I'm glad I didn't mention we were driving in a minivan! DOH!

ducknwork
01-21-2010, 09:17 PM
Some day some will search for and find a sense of humor... :D

Don't hold your breath!

J. Walker
01-22-2010, 09:15 AM

No offense but this is absurd. First, many full-size trucks are classified as "construction and farm vehicles" (Class 2B vehicles) not passenger vehicles so they are not subject to fuel mileage restrictions of any kind and are not included in the Corporate Average Fuel Economy (CAFE) of any manufacturer. Trucks are necessary vehicles for a huge population including those in construction (masons, roofers, carpenters, drywall installers and finishers, painters, pressure washers, window washers, etc.), farming, livestock, plumbing, electrical, grounds maintenance and landscaping, tree and brush service, and the list could go on and on. There's not a snowball's chance that the report you read was accurate or factual in any way.

From http://media.ford.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=31604

"Fordís F-Series tops best-seller lists again with December sales of 48,209 (up 16 percent) and full-year sales of 413,625; F-Series has been the best-selling truck in America for 33 years in a row and the best-selling vehicle, car or truck, for 28 years in a row."

Trucks aren't selling well??? The best selling vehicle of any type for 28 years, isn't selling well? Over 400,000 trucks sold in 2009 isn't selling well? I guess you and I have different sources and standards for our information.

ErinsEdge
01-22-2010, 11:01 AM
Russ, the truck comment came from BHO when he was campaigning and making fun of the fact that Scott Brown drives around in a PU truck...Brown in his acceptance speech said something to the effect " I am Scott Brown...and I drive a truck "
And Obama said "Anyone can buy a truck" when campaigning for Coakley, which is a huge gaff to some people with a 10%+ unemployment rate.

dnf777
01-22-2010, 11:23 AM
With the banks and dealers they way they are, anyone CAN buy a truck. Only responsible, employed people can KEEP a truck! :D

ducknwork
01-22-2010, 11:51 AM
There's not a snowball's chance that the report you read was accurate or factual in any way.

Well, I don't know what to tell you, but the source that I read this at doesn't normally lie. In fact, I would say it's one of the most credible and integritous sources I have ever come across. I guess it is possible that this could not be factual, but it would be one of the first untruths I have seen on there. Post up your fancy shmancy data all you want, but that is what the source said. Sorry.

And as far as people 'needing' trucks, the environment is much more important than their 'needs'. Looks like there may be a market for a rebirth of the El Camino.

J. Walker
01-22-2010, 07:08 PM
Well, I don't know what to tell you, but the source that I read this at doesn't normally lie. In fact, I would say it's one of the most credible and integritous sources I have ever come across. I guess it is possible that this could not be factual, but it would be one of the first untruths I have seen on there. Post up your fancy shmancy data all you want, but that is what the source said. Sorry.

And as far as people 'needing' trucks, the environment is much more important than their 'needs'. Looks like there may be a market for a rebirth of the El Camino.

Fancy, schmancy data??? Yeah, never let the truth get in the way of a good story.:rolleyes: The real problem is the soccer moms driving gas guzzling 400 horsepower SUV's and the family sedans that for some reason now, seem to need 350 horsepower. (Am I the only one who remembers when it was big news when the Ford Mustang's 225 horsepower again? For the record, the Mustang is now up to 412 horsepower.) This used to be the mini van crowd. I wish I had a nickel for every 110 pound ditz yapping on her cell phone with her 1.8 children driving along in a 9,000 pound 4x4 SUV that will never see a road rougher than a Stuckey's parking lot. As for the family sedan, the current model Ford Taurus has 365 horsepower. Someone PLEASE explain why ANY sedan needs that kind of power. Nissan Maxima vehicles in the late 1990's only had 200 horsepower and would absolutely scream so 365 h.p., what the ****? You can have horsepower or fuel mileage but it's tough to have both. For every gain in fuel economy that's been created by taking steel out of cars and replacing it with "polymer" (like plastic bumpers that get $2,000 in damage in the 5 mph bump tests) or improved engine efficiency, that gain has been negated by having horsepower that one would have only found in something like a Corvette just 15 or 20 years ago. Taurus and Camry vehicles should and could easily be 35-45 mpg vehicles. Yes, even truck horsepower has gotten to be ridiculous. It wasn't that long ago that horsepower across the board was about 60% of what it is now in virtually every vehicle including trucks.

ducknwork
01-22-2010, 09:51 PM
So it's okay to tell people how much horsepower they can have but not what kind of vehicle they can drive?

BTW, don't shoot the messenger! I am just trying to let the general public know what the messiah wants to do to our country! Call your congressman and tell them to get rid of the rubbish legislation! The O administration is getting out of hand.:-x

sinner
01-31-2010, 09:15 AM
Well what ever the truth is (an I don't believe politicians or the media on much of anything) it has help the pick-up sales in good old Colorado Springs (the arm pit of conservatism). The dealers won't give and inch on new or use models.
competition in the market place.
Now look at my dog truck in the picture, one dog & one guy and it sure is cheaper to drive than my F-250 was.

Buzz
01-31-2010, 01:59 PM
And Obama said "Anyone can buy a truck" when campaigning for Coakley, which is a huge gaff to some people with a 10%+ unemployment rate.

Give me a break. A HUGE gaff? WTF, no wonder politicians don't like to answer questions. Anyone who would characterize this as a gaff is looking to create a faux controversy over nothing. What's he supposed to do, qualify his statement by saying that anyone lucky enough to have a good job and the liquid resources in this terrible economy can buy a truck?

You and everyone else that is critical of him for this statement know what he meant by the statement, and anyone who is genuinely turned off by Obama or the candidate he's supporting because of it is an idiot.

ErinsEdge
01-31-2010, 02:25 PM
Give me a break. A HUGE gaff? WTF, no wonder politicians don't like to answer questions. Anyone who would characterize this as a gaff is looking to create a faux controversy over nothing. What's he supposed to do, qualify his statement by saying that anyone lucky enough to have a good job and the liquid resources in this terrible economy can buy a truck?

You and everyone else that is critical of him for this statement know what he meant by the statement, and anyone who is genuinely turned off by Obama or the candidate he's supporting because of it is an idiot.
Right, just the truck statement is what finally DID it for me. :rolleyes: He didn't have he teleprompter in front of him and tried to make a joke-it seems to be a new game plan, to make light of what is happening in the economy in between talking about how he feels the pain. His empathy rings insincere.

EdA
02-01-2010, 11:39 AM
Now look at my dog truck in the picture, one dog & one guy and it sure is cheaper to drive than my F-250 was.

it's probably great if you don't mind the harassment you get from your friends when they see you driving around in a minature Chevrolet ;-)

ducknwork
02-01-2010, 11:49 AM
it's probably great if you don't mind the harassment you get from your friends when they see you driving around in a minature Chevrolet ;-)

I wouldn't mind the harassment. I would just be happy to have people that would admit to being my friend if I drove that...:p;)

EdA
02-01-2010, 11:54 AM
I wouldn't mind the harassment. I would just be happy to have people that would admit to being my friend if I drove that...:p;)

Sinner is an old guy who needs friends, most knew him when he drove a real vehicle and do not hold his weird choice of transportation against him, we could call it a midlife crisis except that he passed that point a decade ago...;) :cool:

sinner
02-01-2010, 09:50 PM
I just had a new T-shirt made just for guys like "I love $4 a gallon gas" because my old man was smarter than yours and invested in land in Texas that had oil and I am making a mint!'
The shirt reads "I would agree with you but then there would be two of us who are wrong!
If it fits Edeee wear it.
Remmber old age is a goal to be obtained and you ain't there yet.