PDA

View Full Version : Not sure how many of you are NRA members...

Uncle Bill
01-21-2010, 04:35 PM
...but this was a clip of Ollie North's address to the NRA that I had not received until today from a fellow member. I'd like to share it with my RTF family.

UB

http://www.nragive.com/ringoffreedom/nr_j0199_landing.html (http://www.nragive.com/ringoffreedom/nr_j0199_landing.html)

zeus3925
01-21-2010, 09:46 PM
Ollie North is a traitor to his country. Who wants to hear anything he wants to say.

huntinman
01-21-2010, 09:52 PM
Ollie North is a traitor to his country. Who wants to hear anything he wants to say.

NRA Life member and I would listen to him speak any time I got the chance. I disagree with you assesment of Col. North.

M&K's Retrievers
01-21-2010, 11:31 PM

We must agree to disagree...

zeus3925
01-22-2010, 07:49 AM
Running guns to Iran is inexcusable!

Hew
01-22-2010, 08:24 AM
So is trying to boil down Iran/Contra into a four word summary of "running guns to Iran." :rolleyes:

road kill
01-22-2010, 08:27 AM
Unfortunately, blind ignorance is excusable in your world.

rk

K G
01-22-2010, 11:18 AM
NRA Life member and I would listen to him speak any time I got the chance. I disagree with you assesment of Col. North.

So is trying to boil down Iran/Contra into a four word summary of "running guns to Iran." :rolleyes:

Ditto to both...;-)

kg

Uncle Bill
01-22-2010, 12:10 PM

A TRAITOR???? You DO fit into that al Franken mold. Minnesooota must be proud to have you.

Always love those phoney self-proclaimed deities. Good old Zeus...the CHIEF deity, right? May you choke in your self righteousness.

UB

zeus3925
01-22-2010, 05:50 PM
A TRAITOR???? You DO fit into that al Franken mold. Minnesooota must be proud to have you.

Always love those phoney self-proclaimed deities. Good old Zeus...the CHIEF deity, right? May you choke in your self righteousness.

UB

UB;
Franken is none of my doing. I don't vote for pro wrasslers or professional funny men. Hollywood actors neither.

WindyCreek
01-22-2010, 05:59 PM
I do not support or agree with your assessment of LtCol North, but maybe you should put your personal bias aside and listen to the message. The message is about the most precious asset this country has and one I was proud to be a part of for 30 years. It is about the message more than the person who delivers it!

zeus3925
01-22-2010, 06:48 PM

UB

By the way, UB, Zeus was a dog's name. Had more brains than anyone in politics.

Joe S.
01-22-2010, 07:10 PM

Oh come on, John! :rolleyes::confused::razz:

You are capable of MUCH better than that...where is the swagger...where is the asshat...you getting soft in your old age?

In the end, isn't that what Lt. Col. North was doing...selling Hawk missle parts to Iran to get the hostages and then using the money to support "our" death squads in Central America? (Ok...I inflamed that a touch, but you get the idea...'sides...it's early and I'm just warming up!!!)

So, how's it hanging Buddy?

Gotta Really Good Iran/Contra Story Regards,

Joe S.

P.S. - I saw the NRA clip w/Lt. Col. North and thought is was really well done...

Hew
01-23-2010, 08:18 AM
Oh come on, John! Chief Joseph! Wassup?!?!

You are capable of MUCH better than that...where is the swagger...where is the asshat...you getting soft in your old age? Since you abandoned us I no longer have the joie de vivre for that kind of good clean fun.

In the end, isn't that what Lt. Col. North was doing...selling Hawk missle parts to Iran to get the hostages and then using the money to support "our" death squads in Central America? (Ok...I inflamed that a touch, but you get the idea...'sides...it's early and I'm just warming up!!!) Inflamed it just a touch, eh? The "gun running to Iran" portion of Iran/Contra that Zeus finds so treasonous was actually initiated by the US govt. to trade arms for hostages and open up contacts with moderate Iranaians. Of course North got a little creative ;) and funnelled funds from those arms sales to the Contras in Nicaragua. Not excusing North from following the law, but it was the feckless Democrat-controlled Congress, looking to politically kneecap Reagan, who pulled the rug out from our allies by making support of the Contras illegal. North was just looking to do right by them. Again, no excuse, per se...just context showing that North was attempting to do what he thought was in the best interests of his country. He wasn't lining his pockets. He wasn't just "running guns to Iran," and what he did in no way approaches treason.

So, how's it hanging Buddy? Oh, you know...just scratchin' and clawin' for a livin' in this Obama economy of ours. ;) I hope all's well in your world and that you'll continue to grace us with your disjointed but well-intentioned opinions. :D:D:D

Gotta Really Good Iran/Contra Story Regards,

Joe S.

P.S. - I saw the NRA clip w/Lt. Col. North and thought is was really well done...

zeus3925
01-23-2010, 08:36 AM
Joe you might remember the hostages were released on the day of Reagan's inauguration. Iran/Contra came later. Running arms to an enemy is not what I would define as good patriotism regardless of the intent.

Hew
01-23-2010, 08:47 AM
Joe you might remember the hostages were released on the day of Reagan's inauguration. Iran/Contra came later. Running arms to an enemy is not what I would define as good patriotism regardless of the intent.
Zeus, with all due respect, you're woefully uneducated on this subject. Might I suggest a nice bottle of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iran%E2%80%93Contra_affair

Joe S.
01-23-2010, 02:10 PM

Zeus,

I don't get here much any more so we don't know each other. Hi!

I see the word "Sarge" in sig block so I figure you got some good mojo working for you. Thanks for being there and doing that...whatever the "that" is that you did or do.

This is the Deep End of the Pool Regards,

Joe S.

Joe S.
01-23-2010, 02:42 PM

Hey...it goes man...back in school and still working for the man...you know.

So here is my Iran/Contra story:

So, it's 1984-85...I'm in the USAF stationed in Crete, Greece at a communications site. It's the summer time...Greece is a great place in the summer time, John...:cool:...I am the guy that does all the military airlift scheduling so I know what planes are coming and going, I even get called on the "unscheduled" ones. I'm on the tourist beach near the commercial/military runway the Greeks let us use since we didn't have a runway at the Air Station. I see this plain, white Lear jet land. I thought it was odd...no color...no tail logo...nothing...just white. Didn't give it another thought...back to drinking my beer and enjoy the view (did I mention that most of the beaches there are at least topless...I had my top off, anyway...) About 1.5 - 2 hours later the white jet takes off...about 30 minutes after that I see a C-130 on approach to the airport...unmistakeable...as it lands I notice that it, too, is plain white...and I start laughing. About that time my pager goes off and it's the Commander. I find a phone and call in...he starts going up one side and down the other about how come he didn't know the 130 was coming and how could I let this happen and how I better get down there right away and on and on...I start laughing while he is talking...which really gets him going. Then he asks what is so funny...I tell him its not ours...or at least military...it is white...plain white...and that a plain white lear had a gas and go about 30 minutes earlier and if it was OK with him, I was going back to enjoying the view on the beach because if those Virginia farm boys wanted or needed our help with anything they would have let us know. He got quite for a second and then started yelling at me for calling him on a weekend...

At the time I knew those planes were special but didn't realize how special until years later...

Anyway...take care, John...I'm glad you take me as I come 'cause I can't stay long...

Very Best To You Regards,

Joe S.

zeus3925
01-23-2010, 05:53 PM
Zeus, with all due respect, you're woefully uneducated on this subject. Might I suggest a nice bottle of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iran%E2%80%93Contra_affair
Thanks Hew, I'm educated now but still unrepentant!:p

zeus3925
01-23-2010, 05:54 PM
Zeus,

I don't get here much any more so we don't know each other. Hi!

I see the word "Sarge" in sig block so I figure you got some good mojo working for you. Thanks for being there and doing that...whatever the "that" is that you did or do.

This is the Deep End of the Pool Regards,

Joe S.

Thanks Joe!

zeus3925
01-23-2010, 05:59 PM
Thanks Hew, I'm educated now but still unrepentant!:p

Hew
01-24-2010, 02:42 AM
Neat story, Joe. A witness to history (or is it infamy?). Did I imagine this, or did you also once mention that you were somehow involved in the rescue attempt in '79?

Good to see you back, if even for just a short stay.

Joe S.
01-24-2010, 07:53 AM
Neat story, Joe. A witness to history (or is it infamy?). Did I imagine this, or did you also once mention that you were somehow involved in the rescue attempt in '79?

Good to see you back, if even for just a short stay.

Late in my career, I was assigned to a unit who's commander was the co-pilot on the lead C-130 on the rescue attempt in '79. Several of the more senior officers were associated with the planning/execution of the event. I had an opportunity to gain an insight into the birth of the joint-special ops community that few ever get. While I proudly did many things on dark nights in far-away places in defense of our country, NOTHING I did could come close to what some of these men did...

Hope Your Fishing Is Good Regards,

Joe S.

BrianW
01-24-2010, 01:03 PM
I do not support or agree with your assessment of LtCol North, but maybe you should put your personal bias aside and listen to the message. The message is about the most precious asset this country has and one I was proud to be a part of for 30 years. It is about the message more than the person who delivers it!

Amen! Whatever you think about North's past deeds, he is still out there today supporting the troops with such actions, not only words, as the Freedom Concerts that raise money for kids of those killed in action or 100% permanently disabled in an operational mission or training accident, to go to college and other educational opportunities. Over $10 million has been raised for the Freedom Alliance Scholarship Fund
And to paraphrase Lynyrd Skynyrd from the "God & Guns" cd
"That IS my America..."