PDA

View Full Version : Buying off the Taliban

Marty N.
01-28-2010, 02:00 PM
OK, someone help me out here. Who is the genius who came up with the idea of buying these guys off.

I can see it now. Lets roll on down to the UN office and tell them we are members of the Taliban collect our money and head on over to the local arm's dealer and upgrade from an AK to a 50 cal. or maybe lets see if we can get a deal on a claymore or two.

Sounds like a new way to finance their war.

Marty

Sounds familiar, kinda like Neville Chamberlin negotiating with Hitler before the start of WW2.

YardleyLabs
01-28-2010, 02:07 PM
OK, someone help me out here. Who is the genius who came up with the idea of buying these guys off.

I can see it now. Lets roll on down to the UN office and tell them we are members of the Taliban collect our money and head on over to the local arm's dealer and upgrade from an AK to a 50 cal. or maybe lets see if we can get a deal on a claymore or two.

Sounds like a new way to finance their war.

Marty

Sounds familiar, kinda like Neville Chamberlin negotiating with Hitler before the start of WW2.
Next thing you know, the army will be hiring Sunni Muslim insurgents in Iraq into security forces to fight the insurgency -- oooops, we already did that and it worked....:D

Buzz
01-28-2010, 02:42 PM
I imagine this is what you're talking about.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/28/world/asia/28tribe.html?ref=world

BonMallari
01-28-2010, 02:59 PM
The US has a poor track record of backing the wrong side only to have to take them out of power later...Noriega,the Shah of Iran, Saddam,Hamid Karzai, and the most corrupt of all time Ferdinand Marcos

Hew
01-28-2010, 05:45 PM
The US has a poor track record of backing the wrong side only to have to take them out of power later...Noriega,the Shah of Iran, Saddam,Hamid Karzai, and the most corrupt of all time Ferdinand Marcos
I think more accurately, the US has a long track record of having to side with the lesser of two evils. That's life in the real world that we live in. Not everybody wears a white hat.

Matt McKenzie
01-29-2010, 07:14 AM
And just to be clear, WE didn't take the Shah out of power.